Cruises to Ireland?

Cathalain

My mother is already planning her next vacation (cruise, heh) and is interested in finding out whether there are cruises to Ireland. I did a bit of research on this, but I can't really find anything available. The closest route that I'd found was for Crystal Cruises "Viking" route, but they only spend 12 hours in Dublin and she's not real interested in that (she wants more time there).

Barring that, I'd like to find transatlantic routes that start in New York and not in London. I can't find much there, either. I found something with Cunard that has the QM2 starting in New York, but it's not roundtrip. They don't appear to offer round-trips, either.

Are there any cruises that would fit the bill, or will we just have to do a workaround? Either the Ireland trip OR the transatlantic one would be okay, it's just a matter of finding them.

Thanks.

The Tahitian Princess will be in Dublin on August 14, 2009, & we will be there with her. Other cruises call on Cork & Belfast.

Princess also has a few cruises this summer that start of end in Dublin.

To cruise exclusively in Ireland you could try a barge cruise on the Shannon Princess. From the website:

"Shannon Princess II is a modern vessel operated with traditional Irish ambiance by Captain Ruairi Gibbons and Chef Olivia Power. Floating on the idyllic Shannon Waterway between Glasson (near Athlone) and Killaloe, SHANNON PRINCESS combines the best of tranquil landscapes, "new" Irish cuisine, visits to historical sites, local crafts, and singing pubs - not to mention on-board surprises!

Excursions include Leap Castle, reputed to be the most haunted castle in Ireland; the ruins of Clommacnoise, a 6th-Century monastery; the lively city of Galway; and the recreation of a Bronze Age settlement.

The newly converted and spacious barge boasts well-designed cabins, modern bathrooms, a comfortable salon and an extra-large deck. Chef Olivia Power is one of the top chefs in the industry. She trained at the famed Ballymaloe Cookery School, which has been credited with both saving and updating Irish cuisine - and has worked as a professional baker."

A Transatlantic is just what the name says: a crossing of the Atlantic. Most are not roundtrips, and commonly ships make the trip from the US to Europe once in the Spring, then return in the Fall. QM2 does regular crossings, but she is the exception.

Princess has a British Isles cruise -- includes stops in England, Scotland, and Ireland. I don't think there is a cruise that focuses solely on Ireland.

We did a British Isles cruise on Celebrity last May. We stopped in Dublin, Belfast, Edinburgh, and a couple of other ports in England. Crystal's UK cruise goes to Waterford, Belfast and Dublin. No mainstream cruise line will give you more than 6 or 7 hours in Dublin.

Cunard does have a couple of round trip cruises from NY to Southampton and then returns back to NY.

If she wants more time in Ireland then take the QM2 NYC to Southampton, fly to Ireland for whatever time she wants to spend there & then return on the QM2... SOU>NYC

Princess has a British Isles cruise -- includes stops in England, Scotland, and Ireland. I don't think there is a cruise that focuses solely on Ireland.

The ship is Crown Princess, and it's going to be the closest you come with a mainstream ship. On a 12 day cruise round trip London, you visit on 3 separate days Cork 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. / Dublin 5 a.m. - 5 p.m. / Belfast 6 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Perhaps better yet is Crown Princess' repositioning cruise - August 22/10, 26 days. While it's the east to west crossing you didn't want, it returns to Dublin and Belfast for a second full day in each city. Return route is Reykjavik Iceland, Qaqortoq Greenland, St. John's Newfoundland to NYC.

I agree with Lyn that QM2 x 2, with time in between for Ireland, sounds like what your Mom really wants.

I don't know of any cruises TO Ireland but I think I remember seeing an NCL brochure with one sailing that stops in a couple of Irish ports. It was an odd day / dates / times & looked like the stuck in in there b/c it fit a repositioning schedule.

I agree with one of the other posters - try one of the river boat/barge companies (do an internet search for river cruise ireland and you'll get lots of information). That would be a great way to see Ireland!

Check out Holland America, Oceania, Celebrity & Cunard. I’ve seen “British Isle” itineraries on all of their websites.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

HAL – Westerdam, September 6, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

Voyages of Discovery do some unusual trips, as do Marco Polo and Swan Hellenic. Also try some of Fred Olsen's smaller ships. The big cruise lines usually do one day in Cork and one in Dublin. NCL is not doing this in 2010.-jocap.

I think the question here is whether your mother wishes to see Ireland or whether she wants to cruise. None of the mainstrewam cruiselines will offer much in terms of seeing Ireland. The riverboat on the shannon is probably the best bet so far coupled with two crossings on the QM2 coupled with a flight to Dublin or another Irish city to get her there.

However, if she really wants to see Ireland then a trip by air followed by some serious touring once there will probably fit the bill far better as it will allow her to experience Ireland and see so much more. A brief cruise ship call does not fit the bill in my opinion.

Jean

Archived