Can you buy Tim Tams in USA?

Eileen,

I must tell you - they were delicious. Thanks for introducing us to a new product. We will be in Sydney before our SYD-LAX cruise on Star Princess in October. Is there any place near the Marriott Sydney Harbour where we can buy some to bring on the ship with us?

Fran

Yes. We stayed at the Marriott a couple of years ago and I want to say there is a grocery store 2 - 3 blocks away, in a multi-level mall like area. I remember making a left out the front door of the Marriott, a right at the first light, then a left on the next block. I'm sure the bellman or concierge can talk you to it because I actually went there in search of Tim Tams after having them as a snack when we went to Serendip outside Melbourne. The grocery store was the least expensive place, but we also found them in sundry and souvenir stores across the street from Circular Quay. We brought some home and didn't have them again until last Christmas when I was moseying around our local Cost Plus World Market. Yes, the Arnott's biscuits are Tim Tams in disguise :D

As much as I love Tim Tams and the originals are my favourite out of all the varieties, I must have my Chocolate Teddy Bears each day. They are to die for and I have been eating them all of my adult life, which is a long, long time! Again, they are made by Arnotts and have wonderful dark chocolate surrounding a teddy bear biscuit. Dreamy!

My other favourite Arnott's chocolate biscuit is the the Chocolate Butternut Snap. That is chocolate surrounding a biscuit that has nuts inside. Again, delicious.

Jennie

Jennie, OH the Teddy Bears are soooooooo good also. The only thing I have found to compare here in the U.S. are Carmello candy bars. They are very similar!

What have I started :eek: I am glad some of you are trying our Tim Tams and Dorset those penguin "bickies" (bickies is what we call biscuits in Aus - slang) might be nice but nothing tastes quite the same as Tim Tams.

I prefer the originals or the double coat - which are original but with double the thickness of chocolate.

For those of you who are trying tim tams - try this.

Make a cup of tea or coffee' date=' bite off a corner of tim tam on each end and use it as a straw - very yummy, messy but yummy.

Thanks for all your pointers about where to get them. I didn't know if you could actually bring them into the US. I am glad that you can. I will probably bring them in along with my vegemite. Oh, and some DarrellLea licorice. For those of you who like licorice, this is undoubtably the best licorice in the world. Made in Australia and I don't know if you can buy it overseas. But truly wonderful licorice.[/quote']

How to do the Tim Tam Slam

As much as I love Tim Tams and the originals are my favourite out of all the varieties, I must have my Chocolate Teddy Bears each day. They are to die for and I have been eating them all of my adult life, which is a long, long time! Again, they are made by Arnotts and have wonderful dark chocolate surrounding a teddy bear biscuit. Dreamy!

My other favourite Arnott's chocolate biscuit is the the Chocolate Butternut Snap. That is chocolate surrounding a biscuit that has nuts inside. Again, delicious.

Jennie

Gee, Jennie, lets just admit it. We like ALL the arnotts Chocky Bickies.

Here is a link so you can see the Darrell Lea licorice that was mentioned. Have a look at the other products too. There are Darrell Lea shops all over Australia, mostly in shopping centres. If you ever come to Aus make sure you try both Tim Tams and Darrell Lea Licorice - well actually anything from Darrell Lea will do. YUM!

http://www.dlea.com.au/?Products/Product_Range/Liquorice/Original_Soft_Eating_Liquorice

You will probably put on weight just looking at it.......

Another wonderful shop that you must not miss out on especially if you visit Melbourne or Adelaide (I am not sure if they are in Sydney or Brisbane) are Haigh's Chocolates.

They have the best chocolate, hand made and their chocolate frogs - dark, light, peppermint etc. are just so delicious!!!

In Melbourne there is a shop in the Block in Collins Street and also one in Swanston Street just around the corner from Bourke Street. I always take my U.S. visitors there to buy some chocolate.

At Easter time, we always buy their chocolate eggs, rabbits and bilbies - an Australian marsupial. Again much better than any of the imported chocolate such as Lindt etc.

Jennie

Another wonderful shop that you must not miss out on especially if you visit Melbourne or Adelaide (I am not sure if they are in Sydney or Brisbane) are Haigh's Chocolates.

They have the best chocolate, hand made and their chocolate frogs - dark, light, peppermint etc. are just so delicious!!!

In Melbourne there is a shop in the Block in Collins Street and also one in Swanston Street just around the corner from Bourke Street. I always take my U.S. visitors there to buy some chocolate.

At Easter time, we always buy their chocolate eggs, rabbits and bilbies - an Australian marsupial. Again much better than any of the imported chocolate such as Lindt etc.

Jennie

Drat - I was in Melbourne in Feb. Stayed in Collins Street to boot. I didn't see the shops because if I had I would have definitely bought some. I have tasted Haigh chocolate before and you are right - it is very delicious!!

Can we PLEASE stop now. All this talk about chocolate and bikkies and cookies is not doing my diet any good at all. I am starting my 26 day cruise in less than 7 weeks time and still have at least a stone to lose or else I will have to sit in my cabin the whole time and not venture near any of the food:p

Have to say though that one of the highlights of my stay in Australia after our cruise was finding a bar of Cadburys Dairy Milk - yippee:D

Can we PLEASE stop now. All this talk about chocolate and bikkies and cookies is not doing my diet any good at all. I am starting my 26 day cruise in less than 7 weeks time and still have at least a stone to lose or else I will have to sit in my cabin the whole time and not venture near any of the food:p

Have to say though that one of the highlights of my stay in Australia after our cruise was finding a bar of Cadburys Dairy Milk - yippee:D

LOL - weight gain by suggestion. I wonder if we could make it work the opposite way????

Cadbury dairy milk - YUM! If you are ever in Dunedin in New Zealand you have to go to the Cadbury Factory. You get samples too. LOL

LOL - weight gain by suggestion. I wonder if we could make it work the opposite way????

Cadbury dairy milk - YUM! If you are ever in Dunedin in New Zealand you have to go to the Cadbury Factory. You get samples too. LOL

We went to Dunedin and thought about going but we had already been round the factory in Birmingham in the UK. What a wonderful day. So much chocolate:D

On our recent trip to Australia, my carry on coming home was filled with tim tams & Darryl Lee (?) licorice. Sadly, I cannot find either of these in the US and was forced to smuggle!

Hey rollingstone! Let me know if you can't live without it and I'll happily send you some more! There's a Darrell Lea in every shopping centre near me, and of course, Tim Tams in all the supermarkets around the place!

Tim Tams are like vegemite to Australians. Everyone loves them.

http://www.about-australia-shop.com/timtams.htm

This link might help.

You know B&C's mum... I've lived here for 15 years now, and it no longer makes me vomit if I am making vegemite toast for my husband and accidentally lick my fingers. I can tolerate Vegemite now, but I don't think I'll ever be a huge fan!

But I don't like Tim Tams. They're too crunchy, and I don't like the filling. Unless they're those new ones with the crunchy pieces in them!

Now, Mint Slices on the other hand are the BEST ever! For all the Americans out there, think Girl Scout Mint Cookies (but available year-round in the supermarket)! YUMMMMM!!!!

I'm sure there are online places in the US to buy Australian goods, but you'd be hard pressed to just find them at a shop somewhere. I remember that my husband was able to get Australian goods somewhere in Northern California when he lived there with me, but not sure about Florida!

Since they're packaged food, they shouldn't have any trouble clearing quarrantine. I would pack them carefully in your luggage and declare them when coming into the US.

On the other hand, go get yourselves some Pepperidge Farms Milanos or similar. My husband who is Aussie through and through loves Pepperidge Farms.

Cost Plus World Market locations offer Tim Tams, and there are locations in the LA area. They usually have the Arnett production, and not the Pepperidge-Farms-distributed North American one. Call first; it's not a core item, so store managers have some discretion.

E

Don't know if you saw the Cost Plus Website, B&C's MUM, but they are definitely proper Aussie Tim Tams and Mint Slices. One of the reviewers is an Aussie, and confirms them as proper!

From the photo, it seems to be Tim Tams, Caramel Tim Tams, and Mint Slices.

Looks like that's the place for you if you want to buy them when you get there!

Don't know if you saw the Cost Plus Website, B&C's MUM, but they are definitely proper Aussie Tim Tams and Mint Slices. One of the reviewers is an Aussie, and confirms them as proper!

From the photo, it seems to be Tim Tams, Caramel Tim Tams, and Mint Slices.

Looks like that's the place for you if you want to buy them when you get there!

This is good, I didn't know if you could bring them into the USA. Now that I know you can I will bring a supply with me. I am sure they will all be eaten before we get off the cruise so it is good to know that if need be we can get some in LA for the week we will be there.

You don't like tim tams, tequilatamm? I thought for sure that is how you got your name. Tim Tams and tequila now that would be a good combination!!! :D Who wants to try it?

The double coated (in blue packet) are actually the only Tim Tams I like. Shock horror. But my favourite as mentioned before are the chocolate butternut snaps. They are divine.

We also went to the Cadbury Factory in Dunedin but to be honest we didn't think the chocolate was anywhere near as nice as the Australian Cadbury chocolate. Maybe it is just what you get used to. (Like vegemite, I love it).

Beryl

You might want to try an Oreo Cakester. The description of Tim Tam sounds very similar. Cakesters are a new Oreo product.

We get Tim Tams up here in Canada and they are nothing like an Orea Cakester. Much more real chocolate between two hard sweet cookies covered in more chocolate :)

Don't understand why you could not bring them in your carry or checked luggage as they are a packaged food.

Thanks everyone for your input. DH & I have worked out that because we are staying in FL for a night we only need a change of clothing in our carryons. We will use one for our clothes etc and the other we can stuff with Tim Tams, Darrell Lea Licorice and chocolate bullets, my green tea (they seem to only have Lipton on board)and of course vegemite.

If I hadn't asked the question I wouldn't have known that you can take them into the USA. In Australia quarantine is soooo strict I wouldn't even attempt it. Your reassurance is great, I am going to bring my own.

Thank you.

I am glad also that a few of you have now tried our Tim Tams and like them. Now, if we could just get you to like our vegemite..........

Thanks everyone for your input. DH & I have worked out that because we are staying in FL for a night we only need a change of clothing in our carryons. We will use one for our clothes etc and the other we can stuff with Tim Tams' date=' Darrell Lea Licorice and chocolate bullets, my green tea (they seem to only have Lipton on board)and of course vegemite.

If I hadn't asked the question I wouldn't have known that you can take them into the USA. In Australia quarantine is soooo strict I wouldn't even attempt it. Your reassurance is great, I am going to bring my own.

Thank you.

I am glad also that a few of you have now tried our Tim Tams and like them. [b']Now, if we could just get you to like our vegemite[/b]..........

No thank you. :D

We normally never take Vegemite with us when travelling, but in March this year I didn't realize I missed it so much until we had it in the Club Lounge of the Intercontinental Hotel in Beijing after our cruise.

That made my mind up and in future, I am always going to carry a small jar with me. It is just so great on my toast in the morning and it certainly doesn't take up too much room.

Jennie

We normally never take Vegemite with us when travelling, but in March this year I didn't realize I missed it so much until we had it in the Club Lounge of the Intercontinental Hotel in Beijing after our cruise.

That made my mind up and in future, I am always going to carry a small jar with me. It is just so great on my toast in the morning and it certainly doesn't take up too much room.

Jennie

This makes me laugh, because not so long ago I carried my own peanut butter and salad dressing. :)

I actually saw them in a Vancouver supermarket the other day and they weren't in the "Import" section. Hopefully they'll become a staple.

YES! I can confirm...Tim Tams are availabe in Vancouver! We had a lovely couple who brought us some Tim Tams from Australia on our last cruise. We LOVED it! Two weeks ago, I was at a place called "London Drugs" and was suprised they had them. Of course, we couldn't resist buying a bunch!

I'm not sure how much they are in Australia, but in Vancouver, they are $3.79 each.

YES! I can confirm...Tim Tams are availabe in Vancouver! We had a lovely couple who brought us some Tim Tams from Australia on our last cruise. We LOVED it! Two weeks ago, I was at a place called "London Drugs" and was suprised they had them. Of course, we couldn't resist buying a bunch!

I'm not sure how much they are in Australia, but in Vancouver, they are $3.79 each.

We will be in Vancouver on September 21st. Is there a London Drugs near the port or easily accessible by the "hop on hop off" bus? You guys have piqued my curiosity and I am now inclined to purchase Tim Tams.