passport or photocopy when at port?

swala

Do you recommend taking passport or just a photocopy when on an excursion at port?

On some cruises the line takes your passport so it isn't an option.

You'll find people fall on the two sides based on their belief of what is more likely; of losing it or getting arrested and jailed or missing the boat. Which you pick depends on which you think is more likely.

I beleive it MUST be the original passport to board...NO PHOTOCOPIES!!!

That wasn't the question. To get on board the ship initially-yes, a passport (or other required boarding documentation).

But on an excursion: IMHO, take the copy. IF you are late returning to the ship, your passport and whatever is in the room safe is SUPPOSED to be left with the port agent. Make sure you take the name of the port agent (in the daily newsletter)

IF you take the original and it is lost or stolen, you will probably spend a long time in the local police dept filling out reports. You may miss the ship. IF you miss the ship minus passport or copy, you have a REAL problem. IF you have a copy, it is relatively easy to get an emergency passport at an Embassy or Consulate.

American passports are worth up to $40,000 on the black market, especially the older ones without the RFID chip. They are frequently stolen and sold to drug gangs and terrorists. Don't contribute to the problem.

You still need a photo ID to get back on the ship so it's either driver's license/State ID or passport I guess. We used our passports while in port. I had no problems. If you keep it on you (literally) rather than in a bag, it decreases the risk of being stolen. It's whatever you're comfortable with is what I say. If you'd rather leave them on the ship and use photo copies, then do it. Just remember to bring a photo ID of some sort with you. When I traveled all over the south pacific 10 years ago (land based, no cruise), I was told by the tour guide to keep my passport on my all the time. I'm not sure why, but I assume it was in case I got separated from the group somehow. I kept it underneath my clothes in a pouch I had on me.

On most of our cruises our passport his held by the cruise line anyway.

What you will find is about half the people say take your passport because if you miss the ship you need it. And about half the people (me included) say leave the passport on the ship (or in our case it is held by the ship) because I firmly believe that we have a higher chance of losing or having our passport stolen than missing the ship.

No different than almost everything. Everyone has a different opinion.

We take a copy with us. Why? Because if for some reason we didn't make it back and if the ship was not holding it for us and it was locked in a safe then the copy would help to facilitate getting a new passport. No, it can't be used as an offiicial document.

So, in the end, you will need to decide what is best for you.

I only know what is best for me and my wife.

Keith

The Caribbean islands do NOT require a passport for cruise passengers...so you really don't need it on land at all. In some ports, you will need a picture ID to get back into the dock area, and a DL is fine for that.

Not to hijack here but since when does a cruise line hold your passport? It has been a couple years since I have cruised so things very well may have changed, but what happens? They take it at embarkation and you get it back at the end? Do you have an option?

Relating to the subject- I am on the side of the fence that would be worried about missing the ship and needing the Passport. What I will be doing on my future cruises is wearing cargo shorts and having my PP nice and cozy inside a pocket of my cargo shorts.

The Caribbean islands do NOT require a passport for cruise passengers...so you really don't need it on land at all. In some ports, you will need a picture ID to get back into the dock area, and a DL is fine for that.

cb at sea is correct. I have never taken my passport off of the ship in the Caribbean, Bahamas, Hawaii or Mexico and I never plan to. Just our drivers license has always worked with our Sea Pass. ;) Take both of them to get back on the piers. They do spot check passengers and/or each and every one of us depending on the port.

It stays on the ship, in the safe at all times until officially needed. I have never heard of them taking a US citizens passport and keeping it on any of my cruises. Mine has never been taken from us in 27 cruises. 13 on RCCL.

Only people who are not US citizens have had theirs kept on some of our cruises. And not on all of them either.

c I have never heard of them taking a US citizens passport and keeping it on any of my cruises. Mine has never been taken from us in 27 cruises. 13 on RCCL.

Only people who are not US citizens have had theirs kept on some of our cruises. And not on all of them either.

They may not take them in the Caribbean or Mexico, but they sure do for South America, Asia, Antarctica and the Middle East. I am a US citizen and they keep them to expedite clearance into each country. Otherwise, everyone would have to line up at each new countries' first port of entry and be checked. Can you imagine the turmoil?? NO one would be off the ship very early- "calling cabin 2020, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE come to the ball room so we can get this d*** ship unloaded" (while those in cabin 2020 are LEISURELY eating their breakfast).

I have yet been on a cruise ship where you needed anything BUT your cruise card to reboard in port. They have a picture of you either when you checked in or as you disembark to compare to the person boarding. To get on and off the ship in port all you need is your cruise card.

To check in on any cruise that goes international you MUST have a valid passport.

As others have mentioned depending on which ports you go and the immigration policies many cruises take your passport for their records and to facilitate immigrations.

All international travels should plan to have passport and a copy of it stored seperatly. Beyond cruise card, cash, credit card, and perhaps you drivers license there is little other you must / need in port.

Its all very simple. For those that insist they must take their passport in case of the unexpected happens, I also recommend a change of underwear too as you do need to be prepared to the unexpected :D:D

Chipmaster, there are a lot of ports where you must show your ship's card AND a photo ID. And there are some ports where you need to show your passport before they allow you in the cruise terminal. In Russia, Vietnam and Brazil, they won't allow you off the ship and into the cities without showing your passport and you need to show a passport when you come back after a tour.

Darlene, when we visited Brazil on the Serenity in 2007 and when we visited Vietnam on the Serenity in 2008 we did not have to show our passport to get off the ship nor did we have to have it with us to get back on the ship. It was still held by Crystal.

But in 2008 after we walked off the ship we did have to have our passport with us in Singapore to get into the cruise ship terminal and we had to show it again to get from the cruise ship terminal through to board the ship.

Sometimes rules can change from year to year. A few years ago we needed to carry our passport in Spain but this was shortly after the train bombings but then a year later we didn't need to do that.

Keith

Some countries require a passport to enter whether by land, sea or air. Some do not. Caribbean islands do not. You have to check the immigration requirements for the countries you intend to visit. As noted in the Americas, Brazil requires a passport.

Some pax still insist on taking a photocopy of their passport instead of the passport. I have never understood the reasoning other than to keep it from getting stolen. I suppose they feel their money, DL and valuables are safe while the passport is not. I would love to see the expression on their face when they try to buy an airline ticket back to the USA with a photocopy! But then they never miss the ship, get sick needing medical attention, caught in traffic or get crosswise with the local police.

There is one good point though. When going to the nearest USA Embassy/Consulate to get a temporary passport, it will expedite the process since it will only take a day or so instead of several days while they verify all the information with the US State Department.

I always have my passport in my pocket when on foreign soil. I guard it like I protect my money and other valuables.

As others have said, it does depend on the port. I have cruised into some who have never asked to see my passport, I have cruised into others who require to stamp my passport. St Petersburg require your original passport and a photocopy of the photograph page in order to enter for a tour. Unless I am instructed otherwise I don't usually take my passport ashore or a photocopy.

They may not take them in the Caribbean or Mexico, but they sure do for South America, Asia, Antarctica and the Middle East. I am a US citizen and they keep them to expedite clearance into each country. Otherwise, everyone would have to line up at each new countries' first port of entry and be checked. Can you imagine the turmoil?? NO one would be off the ship very early- "calling cabin 2020, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE come to the ball room so we can get this d*** ship unloaded" (while those in cabin 2020 are LEISURELY eating their breakfast).

That is why I put in my list of places I visited. So people know where I was talking about.

I would certainly never tell posters they do not take them in other countries like the ones you mention.;)

I am also a firm believer everyone should get a passport. But I also believe no one should carry it ashore unless

the ship tells them they have to. ;)

The issue in the Carribean isn't needing a passport to get back on the ship, or to be on the Island.

A passport is required to get back into the USA.

I am confident enough in A) My likelyhood of getting back on board WELL before the ship sails and B) The cruise line doing their job if I don't by putting my luggage and passport into the hands of the Port Agent.

I carry a copy of our passport as well as the "Port information" flyer the cruise line hands out with the name and contact information of the port agent, as well as a copy of my travel insurance.

That way worse case scenario is that we have to get emergency passports if the cruise line does not send our to the port agent before the ship pulls out.

Archived