Single Supplement - Questions

wizard-of-roz

If I were traveling alone on a cruise; how is the cost different? I know that many of you do travel this way, can you tell me about it......

• How are you treated as a single passenger?
  • Is it much more expensive?
  • Are there secrets to cruising as a single passenger and being comfortable?

Is one cruiseline better than another when it comes to traveling alone?

The single supplement can be up to 200%, but is most commonly around 160% -- it varies depending on cabin category. Usually promo offers don't apply to singles, so that's an added cost, too -- the only recent sale that I can recall applied was this past winter's two-for-one deals. So singles are really gouged: first, by having to pay more anyway, and then not being able to get in on any sales.

However, that said, once you pay your money and recover from the shock and pain of that, sailing alone is no different than sailing with other people (well, except for the blissful solitude of doing what you want, when you want to, without having to take another person into consideration). I've never experienced anything that I would consider "discrimination" based on traveling alone (unlike on land: I'm looking at you, restaurants that seat solo diners in a corner by the kitchen!). So I can't really offer any "tips" on how to be more comfortable because I'm never uncomfortable being single/alone. And in my experience, the four lines I've sailed on solo all treated me pretty much the same, with Cunard being top of the line, in that they treated everyone like royalty on the QE2!

Hope this helps.

If I were traveling alone on a cruise; how is the cost different? I know that many of you do travel this way, can you tell me about it......

I have cruised completely alone but more often, I'm a single in a cabin but with family or friends. No matter what, we're not joined at the hip and I do my own thing during the day, including tours, and meet in the evening for drinks and dinner. To answer your questions.

-- I don't think you're treated any differently as even married couples do different things during the day.

-- Yes, it's more expensive because you're paying between 150 - 200% of the per-person rate, depending on the type of cabin you get. Other than that, there are no additional expenses for being a single.

-- As I said, I've done a cruise completely alone. The most important thing I could suggest is to join your roll call as you'll "meet" people ahead of time. I meet people on tours, at dinner, etc. The only time I've been a bit uncomfortable but I didn't let it bother me was having a drink at night in a lounge.

The barstaff tend to run to the tables with couples as they probably assume you're waiting for someone else to join you but other than that, I have never felt uncomfortable traveling as a single. As a matter of fact, I met one of my best friends and traveling buddy on a cruise four and a half years ago when she was traveling completely alone on a 21-day cruise. We hit it off and have done several cruises together and have several planned but even then, we each have our own cabin and space even though we're traveling together. That's our preference and we're fortunate to be able to do it like this.

I've been cruising solo for over 25 years and absolutely love it!!!!

1. I've always been treated just like everyone else....being single has never been a negative for me anywhere. I've met some really nice folks on a cruise.

2. It is way more expensive initially. You'll pay the single supplement which is 150-200% higher than the fare for a double occupance....

3. No tips about traveling alone. Just be sure of yourself, be open to new people and new experiences, be active and enjoy yourself.

Everyone has their favorite cruise line, of course. I'm very price aware and look for the very lowest single rate on any cruise... Fortunately, Carnival has always had the best fare so that's where I generally end up.

I have cruised completely alone but more often, I'm a single in a cabin but with family or friends. No matter what, we're not joined at the hip and I do my own thing during the day, including tours, and meet in the evening for drinks and dinner. To answer your questions.

-- I don't think you're treated any differently as even married couples do different things during the day.

-- Yes, it's more expensive because you're paying between 150 - 200% of the per-person rate, depending on the type of cabin you get. Other than that, there are no additional expenses for being a single.

-- As I said, I've done a cruise completely alone. The most important thing I could suggest is to join your roll call as you'll "meet" people ahead of time. I meet people on tours, at dinner, etc. The only time I've been a bit uncomfortable but I didn't let it bother me was having a drink at night in a lounge.

The barstaff tend to run to the tables with couples as they probably assume you're waiting for someone else to join you but other than that, I have never felt uncomfortable traveling as a single. As a matter of fact, I met one of my best friends and traveling buddy on a cruise four and a half years ago when she was traveling completely alone on a 21-day cruise. We hit it off and have done several cruises together and have several planned but even then, we each have our own cabin and space even though we're traveling together. That's our preference and we're fortunate to be able to do it like this.

I totally agree with every word here. I like my space, but love to meet other people. Pam, I'll head to the bar with you any day. When is the next cruise?

I have found no difference in service traveling alone. The staff has always been fantastic on Princess.

OK, you are going to be shocked at what I am going to tell you. One of my girlfriends and I are going on the CB soon. One of our other friends wanted to come along and so booked an inside room. She paid ONLY a 16% single supplement. AND THEN WAS UPGRADED TO A CARIBE BALCONY ROOM. Lucky her. We always book a caribe room but have never been upgraded to one. Now we are on the same floor. She did not use the same travel agent as we did.

I have often cruised with my children when they were younger which is essentially like being alone. Found them gambling to see who HAD to go to dinner with me. LOL. Released them both from that awful fate. Always had a great time by myself and often travel alone now, particularly land vacations. Make lots of "friends" all the time. Pays to be talkative and friendly. Waiters and staff have always been attentive. Photographers are confused when taking pictures at dinner! Bring some good books, plan some quiet time, find some scrabble players, bridge players, or puzzle doers. Go to lots of group activities. I like a traditional dining experience but you will meet more people with anytime dining. The more you do it, the easier it becomes. Have fun.

I guess there's nothing I can add to what all the other posters have listed. I also travel alone and am very comfortable in doing that. Last year I did have a small issue when the maitr'd had a bit of trouble when I made a reservation for the speciality restaurant and asked for a table for two, and I was dining alone. I finally got through to him when I asked how many tables for one did they have?

If you look on the main menu under specialty cruises there's a board for solo cruises. You'll find a lot of folks there who solo cruise. I did my first solo last year and just booked another for this year. Personally, I like cruising with friends more, but they can't seem to go as much as I want to and I don't want to stay home. I just booked a Princess cruise for about 135% and the cruise was a good deal to start with. I'm happy with the price. You don't find too many deals for singles on balcony or mini's, but if you can settle for an inside or OV you might find a good deal.

One small plus is that if you have a single cabin, Princess give you two cruise credits in the Captin's Circle. This speeds your progress thru the different levels.

I've cruised on Princess three times - all of them solo in a single cabin. I've never received an additional credit.

Is this something new? -- or, is it some sort of thing you need to know about and have to ask for it?

I've never heard anyone mention this before - but, I've been off these boards for several months now so maybe this is a new thing? -- I do like the idea.

I've cruised on Princess three times - all of them solo in a single cabin. I've never received an additional credit.

Is this something new? -- or, is it some sort of thing you need to know about and have to ask for it?

I've never heard anyone mention this before - but, I've been off these boards for several months now so maybe this is a new thing? -- I do like the idea.

Yes, it is relatively new.

I received 2 credits from my cruise last April when I was on the Emerald - 10 days. Also on the Cruise Personalizer it shows a future cruise that I've a reservation for, and it shows 2 credits for that as well.

When I travel alone I tend to book an inside cabin, it forces me to be in the world. I love watching the ocean and if I had a cabin with a window...I'd never leave :)

Inside cabins also tend to be cheaper - which, when you are paying the supplement, is helpful.

Enjoy yourself

Yes, this is new but it's not retroactive. :( Also, if you take cruises longer than 7 days, it's meaningless since you're then better off counting days instead of the # of cruises.

I thought, that in order for you to get 2 credits for a solo booking, it had to be at the 200% rate. I booked an inside single for my daughter to Alaska, paid a lesser supplement, not double and she received only the 1 regular credit. I'm hoping this is an oversight. Does anyone know if it's for any single supplement? If so, I'll have to look into getting her double credit.

Thanks

I thought, that in order for you to get 2 credits for a solo booking, it had to be at the 200% rate. I booked an inside single for my daughter to Alaska, paid a lesser supplement, not double and she received only the 1 regular credit. I'm hoping this is an oversight. Does anyone know if it's for any single supplement? If so, I'll have to look into getting her double credit.
How long ago was this? It could have been before this new program was implemented, which was just a few months ago.

Thanks

I can't remember how long ago this two credits for singles took effect, but it wasn't very long ago they made the announcement. I will search and see if I can find the date on it. One thing about it though is it was not retroactive. That could be what the problem was. As pam asked, when was this cruise sailed on by your daughter?

Edited-I found the press release, it is dated 12/12/08 so it was December of last year, about 8 months ago. Here is the link: http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na991

I can't remember how long ago this two credits for singles took effect, but it wasn't very long ago they made the announcement. I will search and see if I can find the date on it. One thing about it though is it was not retroactive. That could be what the problem was. As pam asked, when was this cruise sailed on by your daughter?

Edited-I found the press release, it is dated 12/12/08 so it was December of last year, about 8 months ago. Here is the link: http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na991

It was a cruise to Alaska about 3 weeks ago.

Archived