When Does Tip Talk On a Tour Get On Your Nerves?

SamFritz

Although I don't agree with OP's approach, neither do I agree with this comment. OP is a teacher by profession (although he should cut out "teaching" about tips). Also, MANY tour guides are highly educated and speak many languages. They add a great deal to my enjoyment of an area, and I tip generously in appreciation. But I will not be coerced.

(And not all tour guides are created equal.)

Kathy

Kathy, thanks for this comment. As several people have noted the OP is a professional in his day job as a teacher, and I can appreciate the need for extra income whatever the reason.

It's his tactics and attitude that have caused so many negative comments.

Beth

I don't mind a "Gratuity is Appreciated" sign at the front of a bus, but the suggestion of the amount and the verbal reminders both at the start and end of the tour would put me right off.

Why? Because it feels like a shakedown. It's almost like saying, hey, the company doesn't pay me enough to do this, so even though you've all paid a lot of money to be here, I want you to part with a little more, and I'm going to guilt you into it. If you hadn't mentioned the tip, and did a good job, I would tip you well. But each time a driver continually mentions the gratuity, not only do I squirm in my seat because I find that very tacky, but the gratuity I would have given ratchets downward.

A tip is something that is given out to reward good service or a job well done. If there has to be constant reminders and a suggestion of the amount, it becomes more like a surcharge.

I'd do a little test, if you're curious. Track how much you make in tips in one week with your current sign & the mention of a tip before and after, and then try one week where the sign stays up but the tips are not verbally mentioned. See what happens.

Edited by Atomica

• 5 years later...
When would you start to be irritated? I've only had one complaint in 8 years.

You may THINK you have only had 1 complaint in 8 years, but I bet lots more are talking behind your back.

I would be irritated immediately. This is overkill, and begging for a tip. You would see my $20 go back into MY pocket.

I would also be writing a letter of complaint to your company complaining of your lack of professionalism.

PS: Do you accept bribes...um...tips...from your students to give them a good grade?

I'd like to add that I'm really sorry that, as a teacher, you need a second job to make ends meet! I think maybe if you mentioned that you're a teacher in your first (and only, and brief) mention of tips, perhaps folks would be more inclined to tip. Good luck!

If he is a teacher in Ontario, there is no need to feel sorry for him. Teachers make more than a decent wage here in Ontario. I am a retired Principal and am getting pretty tired of teachers who complain they don't make enough. We also have one of the best pensions going.

Also take into account that teachers are known to be one of the worse groups when it comes to tipping so I find it very interesting that a teacher complains that his clientele doesn't tip enough unless he issues frequent reminders.

I am also of the team, that the more you push, the less you get. Tips are earned by good service, not because someone is reminding me of my manners.

ETA - Whoops, did not realize that this was a 2009 thread.

Edited by Danni3ll3
Realized this was an old thread.

SamFritz, I'm with many of the others. The sign is fine although I'd prefer not to have the suggestion of 15%.

Otherwise, if I were on your bus I would reduce your tip each time you made any mention whatsoever about a tip. And your last spiel would so offend me that you'd get nothing.

You say you get more when you make these announcements. I have to wonder if some people simply respond out of guilt and nothing more.

I can only imagine your hard work, but the tipping is not because you get up early or work after everyone is off the bus. The tipping is given over and above what people have already paid and is given for quality of service, not just because the service was provided.

I have never given 50% as someone said they'd done, but I am generous when I am pleased with a tour guide's knowledge and helpfulness. I can think of only one occasion when I was so annoyed that I gave nothing, and in that case (which was in Europe) I complained to the hotel concierge who'd booked the tour for us, and at his suggestion I wrote a letter of complaint to the tour company.

This.

The sign is OK, recommending an amount is not. I can read.

If I were on your tour and you did the end of the tour spiel you would get nothing.

Any mention of a tip turns me right off and I immediately decide not to tip at all, regardless of what amount I had planned to tip. I am OK with a sign saying "tips are appreciated" but anything more than that is tacky and implies a pressure I don't like. And I certainly don't want to be told what amount I should tip -- a tip is at my discretion, including the amount of the tip. Not everyone gets a tip -- I will tip if I get good, pleasant, and personal service. Period. Not because it "is customary" and not because you think you deserve it.

If you were to make the mentions you indicated in the original post, I would be sure not to tip you. Your tips might go up because people feel guilty and pressured into giving you a tip, but all you'd get to me is a complaint to your boss.

I agree with the majority here. We are from Australia and when in LA a few years ago took a tour through LA. We got on the bus and the first thing the driver told us was to observe the sign with the madatory tip advice (15%). At every stop he continued to go on about the tips and that he expected more than the obligatory 15%. It really got our backs up to the extent we complied with the 15%. I have been a tour driver here at home and have never expected or received a tip being happy to provide educational and fun tours of our Island. The OP is incorrect that tips for tour drivers are expected world wide. They are not expected in our part of the world.

We got on the bus and the first thing the driver told us was to observe the sign with the madatory tip advice (15%). At every stop he continued to go on about the tips and that he expected more than the obligatory 15%.

Mandatory tip? Wow, I would have taken a picture of the sign (and would not have hidden the fact I was taking a picture), then sent it along in a letter to the company, with a complaint indicating you were basically harassed for tips at every stop. What a way to cast a cloud on what could be a good tour. I truly believe we would not have complied with the tip sign because of the driver's attitude.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Definitely MUCH TOO MUCH! Put your verbal efforts into making the tour be a truly outstanding experience, and people will be only to happy to reward you at the end.

The two signs in the vehicle is all that is needed.

I would be put off by begging that starts before the tour even gets underway. Hearing it again at the end would totally turn me off and significantly reduce the amount I would be tipping, even if the tour was really good.

I have traveled in many places in the world and done many tours, and fortunately have not encountered many guides who are as blatant as you seem to be.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but I am giving you my honest feelings.

You may THINK you have only had 1 complaint in 8 years, but I bet lots more are talking behind your back.

I would be irritated immediately. This is overkill, and begging for a tip. You would see my $20 go back into MY pocket.

I would also be writing a letter of complaint to your company complaining of your lack of professionalism.

PS: Do you accept bribes...um...tips...from your students to give them a good grade?

Another Lazarus thread resurrected! This one's been 'dead' for 5 and a half years. Good find!:D

I don't think the OP needs my opinion on this as he asked the question in 2009, but I'd love to know if he altered his tip 'pitch' in any way following the comments made in 2009? And if he did, did the changes work?

At the time of the original post the OP had 8 years of experience using his 'pitch' and it seemed to be working vs a softer approach. Any change since?

The more the tour person talks about tips, the less inclined I am to leave a tip. At the very least the amount starts to decline.

I feel the same way about cruise line surveys when the cruise director starts asking for top marks. We start deducting at that point. The more noise about the survey, the lower the mark.

Have they no shame, no embarrassment, no pride?

I have one tip for the OP....get a job that pays better! Seems like you are having trouble with this employment meeting your financial needs.

I agree . The sign is okay but remove the 15% .The verbal reminders are just tacky .There are better ways to make money .

Another Lazarus thread resurrected! This one's been 'dead' for 5 and a half years. Good find!:D
I wish Cruise Critic had a way to automatically lock threads after a certain period of time without any new responses. The funny thing about this one is the person who resurrected it has lots of posts and should have known better. I'm more charitable at forgiving someone who's new to the boards.

I agree with a previous poster..... Just a sign stating, "Tips Are Appreciated". That would make me think I was being such a nice person giving a tip! ha!

And that is all. Place the sign above where you would stand at the start of the tour. People WILL see it and I think they will tip.

If you do a good job as a tour guide, people will be happy and in a good mood and likely to tip. If you send out reminders, it's a real turn-off to people and annoying.

I also am reminded to tip if there is a tip jar, with $$ in it. Maybe a little sign on the jar saying, "Much Appreciated"! And a smiley face!!!!

If I think the tour guide did a super job, it would make me feel all warm and fuzzy to give a tip. If the tour guide "reminded" me to give him a tip, I would think, That young fella/gal is sooooo annoying!! ha!

I think the best suggestion for a tip came from a snorkel boat driver. He said that if we had a good time today that tipping is appreciated and would be divided among the crew. There would be a bowl at the front of the boat as you exited. He then said if we didn't have a good time, feel free to take some money out of it. It got everyone laughing and it didn't feel pushy at all.

Add me to the list of those who think a sign (minus the amount/percentage) is okay, but any comments are unwelcome.

During one tour in Hawaii, the driver mentioned tips at least five times and even passed around a picture album of his house, including interior shots in a not-so-subtle attempt to increase tips. We did tip a reasonable sum because he was good at his job (minus the tip requests). Another driver was so busy soliciting tips that he almost caused an accident in Honolulu. He got nothing.

OP, I do appreciate your question and understand the challenges you and all tour drivers face.