For beach swimming, do you put your passports in a locker or a waterproof bag?

scrapulous

We'll be snorkeling/swimming at Chankanaab in Cozumel. They have lockers for rent, but I'm afraid the passports will be stolen from the lockers. But then, with the waterproof bags, I'm afraid they'll somehow still get wet or float out to sea.

WWYD?

We'll be snorkeling/swimming at Chankanaab in Cozumel. They have lockers for rent, but I'm afraid the passports will be stolen from the lockers. But then, with the waterproof bags, I'm afraid they'll somehow still get wet or float out to sea.

WWYD?

Hi

Do you have to take your passports ashore? If not it might be safer to leave them on the ship. Anne

I leave mine in my cabin on the ship and make sure I get back to the ship in plenty of time. No worries about passport getting wet or getting stolen. No worries about missing the ship. If I missed the ship and was stranded without a change of clothes and without my belongings, having a passport in my hands would provide slight consolation.

You can leave your stuff in the excursion transportation...it will be fine.

If you bring a credit card, it's waterproof---it's plastic! You really don't need to buy something to protect it! And, cash spends just as well wet as dry!

About 70% of people say they leave their passports on the ship and may or may not take a copy with them. Some only do this if they are staying in the port area, or within sight of the ship.

About 30% say they take them on excursions. In your case, it's a tough decision. I would think a locker should be safe enough, but it depends on how long you will be there and how close to the locker. There are truly waterproof cases, but make sure they are waterproof to at least 10 feet if you are swimming. More if you are going to snorkle, snuba or scuba.

The little pacsafes are not waterproof, nor are they big enough for a passport.

WWYD?

We do not take passports off the ship...we have not found a reason to do so. If you feel a need to have it perhaps a copy would serve the same purpose. Leave the original in the safe on the ship so that it will not be lose, stolen or get wet. Also a copy should be left at home.

As soon as I get onboard and to my cabin the first thing I do is lock the cell phone and passport away. I never carry it ashore. I do however have a color copy of the informantion pages that go with me anytime that I am off the boat. It want get me home, but it makes getting a replacement much easier I have been told by embasy officials.

WWYD?

Try not to miss the ship! When we were in Europe last summer, we never carried our passports with us - locked them in the safe; only carried our DL with us. Nothing else was really asked for.

Chankanaab is not that far from the ship and there are ample taxis available. I take a cheap watch set to the ship's time with me on all excursions. I do not take my passport with me. For the beach I take a water wallet with my ship's card, DL, one credit card and some cash. I have a bag that I leave on the beach with my towel, disposable camera, lip gloss, and sunscreen.

WWYD?

Easy, I leave them locked in my safe if the cruise ship didn't take it. Last two cruise they took the passport.

Only thing you need in port is cruise card, photo ID ( I carry my drivers license ), credit card, money, and if you are really paranoid you can make a liminated copy of your passport under the remote chance you miss the boat or yourself float out to sea :D

Enjoy Cozumel!

I'm afraid we'll miss the ship and be stuck without our passports.

Simply plan with ample time to get back to the ship. The chances of you losing or getting the passport stolen are far more likely then missing the boat. Don't drink to much, take a flyby night ride from some questionable vendor and you'll be good.

Even reputable vendors can have an accident, get stuck behind an accident, have their vehicle break down, get caught in bad weather, etc. I'm just trying to allow for all possibilities. I'm still trying to decide what to do. I like to be prepared, that's all.

Like most of the others, I do not take my passport ashore. However, I have a Aquapac key master which is just big enough hold my ship card, picture id , a credit card and a little cash. It has a double "lock" which I have never known to leak and a cord that I can wear around my neck.

If you're that worried, then plan the excursion through the ship; that's the only way to really be safe about it. There is no reason to bring your passport with you on shore. Our family had our passports stolen once and it was a complete nightmare getting them replaced.

As others have said, make copies, and bring one with you. Have family members at home save a copy, and if you can, scan a copy and e-mail it to yourself as well.

• Administrators
If you're that worried, then plan the excursion through the ship; that's the only way to really be safe about it. There is no reason to bring your passport with you on shore. Our family had our passports stolen once and it was a complete nightmare getting them replaced.

As others have said, make copies, and bring one with you. Have family members at home save a copy, and if you can, scan a copy and e-mail it to yourself as well.

I totally agree. If booking something independent would leave you a mass of worries about missing the ship because of all the things which could happen, then book through the ship and relax.

The only time I take my passport off the ship is if I'll need it that day -- like entering Canada from Skagway, Alaska or something.

Always bring a color copy of your passport with you - never the original. A water safe, or just a zip-loc bag, inside a second, which is inside a third - will guarantee that your copy, credit card, cash and ship card will stay dry.

Thanks for your service, navybanker. Sort of an aside, but did you take your passport ashore when you went ashore when you were on a navy ship?

What's a passport card?

A card that gets you into and out of Mexico and Canada. Used mostly by people who commute for work over the borders or who shop over the border etc. Not of any use for most other travelers.

Archived