Toscana - Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar Menu

SunDapple

We thoroughly enjoyed the pre dinner tasting of olive oils and balsamic vinegars in Toscana while onboard Insignia this July/August. I told myself the last night we dined there that I would ask for a copy of that separate menu so that I could search out those oils at home. Of course, I promptly forgot as soon as our selections arrived at the table.

Just wondering if anyone else had asked and could share the menu? Thanks so much.

Speaking of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, they are a good alternative to butter to go with bread. They are healthier with less bad cholesterol. Next time, tell the waiter that you want olive oil plus vinegar instead of butter!

P.S. Do the same in the main restaurant, not just the specialty restaurants .. meow!

We thoroughly enjoyed the pre dinner tasting of olive oils and balsamic vinegars in Toscana while onboard Insignia this July/August. I told myself the last night we dined there that I would ask for a copy of that separate menu so that I could search out those oils at home. Of course, I promptly forgot as soon as our selections arrived at the table.

Just wondering if anyone else had asked and could share the menu? Thanks so much.

Hi Sun Dapple,

glad you enjoyed the cruise. Here is the menu.

Best,

Tim

Olive Oil Menuv2.pdf

WOW!!! You are amazing....how in the world did you happen to have that menu? You are one handy resource!

He works for Oceania!:)

BTW, I think it's great that Oceania executives read these boards, just an example of Oceania's interest in customer satisfaction.

We had this on the Nautica in May 2009 - personally I thought it was a bit much - with all the delicious choices being presented for entrees, salads, appetizers etc. I was overwhelmed with the oil and vinegar choices. Alot of the places we dine at home do offer this instead of butter (but not nearly the number of varieties). Plus with so much good food to come, I did not want to fill up on bread.

We loved this one - :)

TERRA DI BARI BITONTO D.O.P. DESANTIS

Sweet and Aromatic Olive Oil

Golden-colored with a hint of green and

characterized by a fruit-almond aroma and a sweet

flavor with a slight almond finish. From the Puglia Region.

The basil infused oil is superb. Don't let them muck it up with any vinegar......:)

Sometimes more really is less.

As in everything, to each his own.

I found my favorite in the plain oils, not even the Constanza Badia a Settimo, the "premium" oil, but in the simple Frantioio Archibusacci Viterbo. It was more like the peppery green oils that I am used to here in California. It was so nice to be able to taste new things. I did not allow them to put the balsamic vinegars in my oil. I asked for a separate dish for the vinegar. That way I could truly taste them. Some were so sweet I can understand why people serve it on vanilla ice cream or poached bosc pears. Yum.

In Toscana, one normally gets to chose one oil and one vinegar from the menu. We were lucky enough to eat at Toscana twice, my husband selecting a different pair than I so that we were able to taste 4 oils and 4 vinegars. I would have gone to Toscana again if not only for this wonderful experience, but also for the delicious meals, however my husband really liked the Polo Grill. So we ate there several times as well. Alas, no olive oil tastings in Polo, but I can say that I enjoyed the very best filet mignon that I have ever had.

Is the Olive Oil and Balsamic menu only available on the Insignia? I was on the Regatta last Nov and do not remember a menu, only the server telling us the variuos kinds. Having a menu is a much better option.

Was on the Regatta in July and yes, they do have this menu in Toscana.

I was just reading an article in Conde Nast this weekend about a couple that spent a week in the Emilia Romagna area and at one meal as an after-dinner delight they had fried gnocchi with 60 year old balsamic vinegar. I didn't know the balsamic's were aged like scotch. They have different designations for different ages.

Sound great. I sure don't consider myself a foodie, that's way too pretentious for me, but I know good food when I eat it.

I was just reading an article in Conde Nast this weekend about a couple that spent a week in the Emilia Romagna area and at one meal as an after-dinner delight they had fried gnocchi with 60 year old balsamic vinegar. I didn't know the balsamic's were aged like scotch. They have different designations for different ages.

Sound great. I sure don't consider myself a foodie, that's way too pretentious for me, but I know good food when I eat it.

I attended a cooking class (off-ship :p) that had various olive oils to taste (dip crusty bread chunks in the saucers of oil) and a balsamic vinegar tasting (make a fist and the server drips ONE drop between your thumb and forefinger. Lick it off). This was the most fun part of the class! It was hard to resist filling up on tiny tidbits of bread. Not sure why they place the vinegar on your hand, maybe your body temp warms it up and you can smell it as you begin to taste?:confused: Or maybe it was fun for the servers to watch!!:p

Hold onto your hats when you see some of the prices of these delicious condiments at an imported specialty food store!! The higher priced ones are treated as if wine, a certain farm with a certain vintage! And sometimes given as a host gift. Lucky recipient, eh?

Anyway, I am so glad this subject came up, because I would not have thought to request balsamic/oil at dinner! I am going to take them up on this, for sure!

Gnocci w/60-year old balsamic! Cool! Sounds fab!

I attended a cooking class (off-ship :p) that had various olive oils to taste (dip crusty bread chunks in the saucers of oil) and a balsamic vinegar tasting (make a fist and the server drips ONE drop between your thumb and forefinger. Lick it off). This was the most fun part of the class! It was hard to resist filling up on tiny tidbits of bread. Not sure why they place the vinegar on your hand, maybe your body temp warms it up and you can smell it as you begin to taste?:confused: Or maybe it was fun for the servers to watch!!:p

It's the most hygenic way to do it in a public setting. Metal and even plastic interact with the acids in the vinegar, which distort or destroy the flavor. Wood works, but it's very absorbent and hard to clean in a way that is sanitary.

Yes, I'm a food geek. :)

Archived