Best places to purchase cruises

Is it better to purchase cruises from a dot com site? A cruise outlet? Expedia, Travelcity, VacationTOGo, etc.? A travel center? The cruise line, itself?

I have learned that I have a "guaranteed room" on one cruise line. I have never heard of that. Usually, they pinpoint which deck and which room I get.

Is this common now?

Sorry, we are not permitted to discuss particular travel agents/agencies by name. We may speak in generalities, like booking thru cruiseline, brick and mortar T/A, e-agency ... but we may not comment on any specific travel booking companies/agencies.

If the cabin CAT you are booking is sold out they will offer a guarantee cabin.

It means you will get a cabin in THAT CAT or possibly an upgrade.

Not always a bonus

If you want a specific cabin & it is available you should ask for it when you booked.

We always book directly thru the cruiseline....that way, we have control over our reservation. If we want to ask a question, make a change, book something....we can do it ourselves. Once you go thru a TA, THEY own the reservation, and the cruiseline will NOT speak to you---you'll have to go thru that "3rd party"....not worth it, IMO!

We always book directly thru the cruiseline....that way, we have control over our reservation. If we want to ask a question, make a change, book something....we can do it ourselves. Once you go thru a TA, THEY own the reservation, and the cruiseline will NOT speak to you---you'll have to go thru that "3rd party"....not worth it, IMO!

I didn't book through Princess and have had no problem contacting them when I needed a question answered.

There is a website out there ( guess I can't name which) that travel agents compete for your business. We booked a Carnival cruise, which Carnival quoted us $1,800 (for two - inside cabin), and our lowest quote for the same thing on this website was $975. We then booked an outside cabin for $1070. I feel like that was a good deal for a 7 night cruise.

So Google "Cruise" and "Compete" and you'll probably find what I'm talking about.

There is a website out there ( guess I can't name which) that travel agents compete for your business. We booked a Carnival cruise, which Carnival quoted us $1,800 (for two - inside cabin), and our lowest quote for the same thing on this website was $975. We then booked an outside cabin for $1070. I feel like that was a good deal for a 7 night cruise.

So Google "Cruise" and "Compete" and you'll probably find what I'm talking about.

Yup, we use that same website and it has worked out well for us in the past. I find that the cruiseline always quote the higher prices than a TA or online travel site. If you prefer a specific TA shop around first and then let your TA know what you found and perhaps they can match the price. Also, take into the account any additional perks - including onboard credit, free pre/post cruise transfers, complimentary travel insurance. And being the paranoid person that I am I ALWAYS call the cruiseline directly and immediately afterwards to make sure my reservation went through with the correct cabin no and names. Good luck.

So Google and you'll probably find what I'm talking about.

You did not get the same cruise and cabin category for 40% less than the cruise line is offering at that time....this is an obvious attempt to sell a website while lying about how much you can save using it. My guess is you work there...

jnsparky

Don't be too quick to question a TA discount over the current cruise line price.

As a former TA for 17+ years , specializing in only selling cruises, I can tell you that many TA's hold speculative Group Space early on . Those Group Rates may be much lower than the current rate on a popular sailing that may haves had increases in rates since .:o

You did not get the same cruise and cabin category for 40% less than the cruise line is offering at that time....this is an obvious attempt to sell a website while lying about how much you can save using it. My guess is you work there...

While I didn't get 40% off, I just booked a category 11 yesterday using a website with the words "cruise" and "compete" in it, I received 8 bids. Most much lower than Carnival's ES website advertised price of $1159 per person plus $70 per person in taxes. The bid I went with was $1070 with taxes included, a savings of 13%.

Also, because it is an Early Saver fare, if and when that rate of $1159 goes down I just need to call the TA with the winning bid and they will lower their price accordingly. They do charge $39 for this, consequently, the price needs to drop by at least $39 each time before I call them. I'll be watching Carnival's posted price like a hawk for the next 5 months.;)

First, the lowest price TA isn't necessarily the best . . . and, they could have hidden fees. It is so important to ask the right questions. . . such as:

If, after I book, the price goes down, will you make the adjustment for me? The answer should be yes.

Do you charge a fee if I cancel? Obviously, the answer should be no.

Ask for a copy of their terms and conditions -- make sure to read them.

The major difference in booking with the cruise line vs booking with a GOOD TA (specializing in cruises) is that the TA will go to bat for you in case there is a problem (such as a cancelled cruise).

I have only cruised once and although I had a great online agency experience, I will probably book directly through the cruise line. Their prices used to be higher but now the cruise lines are competitive with land agencies as well as internet agencies.

I do not work for a website or a cruise line. I am actually the senior minister of a church. LOL, that's so funny! Sorry you didn't believe me, but I honestly saved a ton, and I just wanted to share. Hey, if you want to spend more money, then go ahead. This will be the third cruise for my wife and me. Our first two were with RCI, spent $900.00 for 4 nights, and then later $725 for 4 nights. This time we're doing 7 nights for $1070 with Carnival. All Outside cabins.

For many years I booked through an agent. When on-line agencies became available I switched over. When cruiselines became competitive, I switched again. They all work. Recently I tried the "compete" method. None of them matched the cruiseline when the whole package was considered (past passenger discount, on-board credits, etc). I like dealing directly with the cruiseline because they will adjust the fare, let you make changes, deal with any glitches, offer some spectacular deals if the ship oversells, etc. It just seems to me so much easier. It also seems to me safer than dealing with companies I don't know. Years ago I had one really stressful situation related to a mess-up on dates where I was arriving in Florida the day after the ship sailed that I would never want to repeat. I always do a comparison before I book but, for the past 5 years, the cruiseline wins. That's not to say that someone can't get consistently great deals from all of the different methods of booking.

I know that some people like to rely on sites where T/A's compete for your business. The following thread, while very long, makes for some interesting reading: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1025166&highlight==

Just putting this out here ... as it's always important to do due diligence before booking with any company or agency with whom you have no familiarity.

I know that some people like to rely on sites where T/A's compete for your business. The following thread, while very long, makes for some interesting reading: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1025166&highlight==

Just putting this out here ... as it's always important to do due diligence before booking with any company or agency with whom you have no familiarity.

Great advice, and even though I did go through a bidding travel agency the first thing I did once I paid my deposit was look online at my cc statement and here's what it said: CARNIVAL CRUISE TKT/RES(Travel).

Perfect, no mention of the TA receiving the funds, of course I'm pretty anal about checking online balances, etc.

I do feel very sorry the Kween Karen had to go through all that she suffered and having to be on pins and needles, but at least it gives others an opportunity to see the downside to booking with some TA's.

Archived