Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We're cruising in November and will stay overnight pre-cruise. Need Holiday Inn Express so we can use points. Any pros or cons on HIE Convention Center, HIE Airport/Cruiseport North, HIE Airport South? We're not getting in until 8:30 p.m. so just need a bed, but will need something to eat when we arrive.

Edited by mkmom514

Royalcruz, I have never been to FFL so when I made my reservation there it was kind of not knowing anything of the area ... Should I do something farther north because we are driving down from TN if so can u give me some pointers ?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Forums mobile app

We're cruising in November and will stay overnight pre-cruise. Need Holiday Inn Express so we can use points. Any pros or cons on HIE Convention Center, HIE Airport/Cruiseport North, HIE Airport South? We're not getting in until 8:30 p.m. so just need a bed, but will need something to eat when we arrive.

HIE Convention Center is in the best location: safest neighborhood with lots of eating places.

Royalcruz, I have never been to FFL so when I made my reservation there it was kind of not knowing anything of the area ... Should I do something farther north because we are driving down from TN if so can u give me some pointers ?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Forums mobile app

Vero Beach is about 2 hours north of Fort Lauderdale, so I would look for anything there or south of there. Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton, Delray Beach, and Boynton Beach are all under an hour driving distance from Fort Lauderdale.

We will be staying at Granada Inn .4 miles north of Marriott's beach Place (near Bayshore Drive and North Altantic Blvd. Is there any fast food within walking distance? Also any where close to pickup some juice and/or pop?

There is no fast food within miles of the hotel. If you want chain food, there is a Hooters in Beach Place. You can pick up some drinks and snacks at CVS at Beach Place.

We are staying at the hilton marina and just wondering if there is a drug store within walking distance for last minute items close by? Within walking distance as we will be on foot?

Walgreens is really close...just walk under 17th St bridge and then go west 2 blocks.

We will be arriving in FLL about 5pm on Thanksgiving evening. We will have been in airports/planes since 6am. This was not the original plan but thanks to United changing our flights, we are giving up our family meal. I am hoping for some suggestions for a place to have a Thanksgiving meal. We are staying at the ES on 17th st.

Another question is about the Museum of Discovery and Science. We are looking at spending Friday there (we have a 9 y/o son) and wondering if it is worth a visit.

Thank you again for all replies!

We will be arriving in FLL about 5pm on Thanksgiving evening. We will have been in airports/planes since 6am. This was not the original plan but thanks to United changing our flights, we are giving up our family meal. I am hoping for some suggestions for a place to have a Thanksgiving meal. We are staying at the ES on 17th st.

Another question is about the Museum of Discovery and Science. We are looking at spending Friday there (we have a 9 y/o son) and wondering if it is worth a visit.

There won't be much open on Thanksgiving, but Marriott Harbor Beach does a buffet dinner. You could call Chuck's steakhouse across from ES or Renaissance Hotel's Bistro to see if they will be open.

I've never been to the Museum of Discovery and Science but I hear that it is good.

My DH and I went to the Museum a couple of years ago when we had an extra day post cruise in Fort Lauderdale. We enjoyed it and it looked like all the kids loved it. It is full of hands on exhibits. Not sure it would take up your entire day (maybe you could do the water taxi too?) but it is certainly good for a couple of hours.

We will be in fll on the 23 rd of Jan. , our cruise is the 25 th. We would like to go sport fishing the day before cruise. We have looked at Fishing Headquarters, the price seems good ( 125.00 each for 4 hours) , are they good and reliable. Any others we should look at .... Thanks ......

We're going to be driving to FLL, and want to park at Port Everglades during our cruise. Does anyone know if the parking lots get filled up quickly to the point that we wouldn't find a space? Cruising at the end of February. Also, is there a website, (maybe just the port website) to find out what terminal our ship will be at? Thanks for any help.

We're going to be driving to FLL, and want to park at Port Everglades during our cruise. Does anyone know if the parking lots get filled up quickly to the point that we wouldn't find a space? Cruising at the end of February. Also, is there a website, (maybe just the port website) to find out what terminal our ship will be at? Thanks for any help.

Here is the port web site with a map and ship schedules:

http://www.porteverglades.net/

When we disembark at Fort Lauderdale, will it be easy to get a taxi to the airport? Are the public taxis allowed inside the terminal? What will be the approximate cost?

Apologies if the question has already been asked. I have been reading through but it is such a busy thread I might have missed it. Any advice appreciated.. This is our first US cruise and unfortunately we will not have time to explore the area, but will need to go straight to the airport for our return flight to the UK.

When we disembark at Fort Lauderdale, will it be easy to get a taxi to the airport? Are the public taxis allowed inside the terminal? What will be the approximate cost?

Apologies if the question has already been asked. I have been reading through but it is such a busy thread I might have missed it. Any advice appreciated.. This is our first US cruise and unfortunately we will not have time to explore the area, but will need to go straight to the airport for our return flight to the UK.

Hi, there will be plenty of taxis available. When you get off the ship

and get your luggage and then go through customs? After you have

done all that? You will go outside and you will see where everything

is setup....you will follow the line (que) and get your taxi....it is

about 10.00-15.00 to get to the airport.

Yes. Yes. About $15.

We will disembark from our cruise on Saturday and will not be flying back until Monday afternoon, would like to know how long a drive would it be for us to visit Kennedy Space Center from Fort Lauderdale.

We are planning to drive to a hotel close by the Space Center on Saturday, spend the entire Sunday at the Space Center, and then drive back to Fort Lauderdale to stay overnight on Sunday, so that we will close by the airport for our flight on Monday.

Can someone familiar with Florida inform me whether it is doable or not, please? How long would the estimate travel time? Would we be encountering much travel on Saturday and Sunday?

Thank you.

We will disembark from our cruise on Saturday and will not be flying back until Monday afternoon, would like to know how long a drive would it be for us to visit Kennedy Space Center from Fort Lauderdale.

We are planning to drive to a hotel close by the Space Center on Saturday, spend the entire Sunday at the Space Center, and then drive back to Fort Lauderdale to stay overnight on Sunday, so that we will close by the airport for our flight on Monday.

Can someone familiar with Florida inform me whether it is doable or not, please? How long would the estimate travel time? Would we be encountering much travel on Saturday and Sunday?

Thank you.

Hi, it takes about 3 to 3.5 hours... I did a search for you and came up with alot of threads asking the same question........

Click on these to get more information:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1857023&highlight=drive+time+orlando+to+ft+lauderdale+

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1804272&highlight=drive+time+orlando+to+ft+lauderdale+

I live in Florida......(northern part)......I can tell you it takes me

about 5 hours to drive to Port Everglades.......Cape Kennedy is

about 2 hours from here. It should be about a 3 or 3.5 drive for you.

Traffic is traffic...on the weekends there is just always traffic...not

usually horribly crowded but there always cars;)

Hi there. You didn't say in your post which airport you're flying from but since you're flying to the UK, I'm guessing there's a good chance you're flying from Miami International rather than Fort Lauderdale.

If you are, then a taxi will cost you a lot more. I have seen prices of 80 dollars quoted on this board.

In this case, and depending on your flight time, you may want to consider a ship-organised excursion which will drop you at the airport. Your luggage stays in the coach the whole time so you don't have to worry about it, and it will mean you're not hanging around the airport for hours (again guessing that a flight to the UK will not be leaving until around 5pm or later).

Apologies in advance if you're flying from Fort Lauderdale, since in that case this will all be irrelevant.

Cheers and have a great cruise. :)

Will I be able to get a taxi without too much trouble at 4:30 AM or so to get to FLL for a 7:00 flight? Trying to decide if I should stay at/near the airport for a post cruise night in January or try to enjoy a beach area hotel for my extra day.

1. Which airport hotel is most convenient for a crack of dawn departure?

2. Should I rent a car?

3. Why did I think flying home 7:00 in January was a good idea?

Thanks.

Will I be able to get a taxi without too much trouble at 4:30 AM or so to get to FLL for a 7:00 flight? Trying to decide if I should stay at/near the airport for a post cruise night in January or try to enjoy a beach area hotel for my extra day.

1. Which airport hotel is most convenient for a crack of dawn departure?

2. Should I rent a car?

3. Why did I think flying home 7:00 in January was a good idea?

Thanks.

Taxis run 24/7 so you don't have to worry about this. Just call 954-777-7777.

1)There won't be any traffic, so any of the airport hotels would be convenient, but there won't be anything fun to do without a car. If you stay at any of the beach hotels south of Sunrise Blvd you'll be very close to the airport too...you just have to allow a few minutes in case the 17th St drawbridge is up.

2)It will take extra time to return the car and you are already getting up so early.

The last two times, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on SR 84. It was clean, staff was great, it's accross from the grocery, breakfast and shuttle from the airport was included.

The price is quite a bit more than usual for our cruise next March. Any feedback on the Holiday Inn on Sheridan St? It's about half as much so I would be good with losing breakfast. Any other feedback and why this hotel is so much less?

Taxis run 24/7 so you don't have to worry about this. Just call 954-777-7777.

1)There won't be any traffic, so any of the airport hotels would be convenient, but there won't be anything fun to do without a car. If you stay at any of the beach hotels south of Sunrise Blvd you'll be very close to the airport too...you just have to allow a few minutes in case the 17th St drawbridge is up.

2)It will take extra time to return the car and you are already getting up so early.

Thanks a million! You ARE the best. Linda