New RCCL Price Drop Policy

Frankly, I'm surprised their largesse in terms of honoring price drops post-final payment has lasted this long given the wobby economy (it was one of the few advantages over HAL, in our eyes). Though DH and I have talked at length about picking a week to go away and waiting 'until the last minute (i.e., ninety days out) to pick up a good cruise deal -- this might seal it for us.

OK....I just off the phone with C&A....even called 2x to see if the info matched.

YES...both confirmed that as of tomorrow a new policy will go into effect on how they handle price drops:mad:The first seemed to be pretty knowledgeable about this, the second was reading the new policy sheet as I spoke to her. I was told that if a price drops as of tomorrow on all past and future reservations(existing reservations are not being grandfathered) that the credit will even be given as an upgrade or an OBC. Both told me that as an OBC, any amount not used on the cruise that still sits in your account will be refunded after the sailing. I asked the question about what if you have kids in an adjacent cabin or there was nothing higher available to upgrade to that would work....this is where is got fuzzy...the first agent told me that they will work with you to find something that would work or you could take the OBC....HOWEVER she left it open that this wouldn't be completely set in stone and that there could possibly be some exceptions...NOW the second agent made it very clear that it was upgrade or OBC...so some slight conflicting info.....however there was nothing conflicting that as of tomorrow this is the new policy and both did confirm that any unused amount goes back on your CC.

They told me these are the only changes as of now that they are aware of...nothing about change or cancellation fees.

Just thought of something else. If you buy cruise insurance it is based on the cruise price. Higher price cruise (even with OBC) would necessitate higher cruise insurance price.

Penny (who just bought cruise insurance!):rolleyes:

OK....I just off the phone with C&A....even called 2x to see if the info matched.

YES...both confirmed that as of tomorrow a new policy will go into effect on how they handle price drops:mad:The first seemed to be pretty knowledgeable about this, the second was reading the new policy sheet as I spoke to her. I was told that if a price drops as of tomorrow on all past and future reservations(existing reservations are not being grandfathered) that the credit will even be given as an upgrade or an OBC. Both told me that as an OBC, any amount not used on the cruise that still sits in your account will be refunded after the sailing. I asked the question about what if you have kids in an adjacent cabin or there was nothing higher available to upgrade to that would work....this is where is got fuzzy...the first agent told me that they will work with you to find something that would work or you could take the OBC....HOWEVER she left it open that this wouldn't be completely set in stone and that there could possibly be some exceptions...NOW the second agent made it very clear that it was upgrade or OBC...so some slight conflicting info.....however there was nothing conflicting that as of tomorrow this is the new policy and both did confirm that any unused amount goes back on your CC.

They told me these are the only changes as of now that they are aware of...nothing about change or cancellation fees.

Thanks for calling them. Well that sounds ok ... just as long as it applies to UK folk too. I'd definitely go for the OBC in that case :) I like my cabin too much to move :D

Thanks for calling them. Well that sounds ok ... just as long as it applies to UK folk too. I'd definitely go for the OBC in that case :) I like my cabin too much to move :D

I dont think this rule will happen here...not after they just recently started charging the £35 pp admin fee for doing a price drop...they arent going to give up their chance of making more money over here.

Just another thought re OBC. What if there are a couple of price drops ... how do you keep track of it? I can't view my OBC on my online account. Is this just a UK thing - can people in the US view their OBC?

my last OBC of $200 showed up on my reservation. That was with Celebrity.

I think if the cruiseline issues the OBC you will see it, but if its a travel agent OBC as add on value, then you wont see it until you get onboard.

yea but, IIRC, you can pull out your OBC as cash at the end of the cruise.....

Unless you have OBC through your VISA Credit Card, most OBC is no longer returnable at the end of a cruise. Read the rules carefully before anticipating that your OBC will be refunded back to your CC or SeaPass Account.

As for price drops, I could understand if price drops would not be honored AFTER final payment, but if you are BEFORE final payment, that would be wrong in my book. Of course, BEFORE final payment, you do have the option to cancel and rebook at the lower price. :)

I dont think this rule will happen here...not after they just recently started charging the £35 pp admin fee for doing a price drop...they arent going to give up their chance of making more money over here.

Yes, you are probably right. I had my positive head on for a brief moment there! I must try to remember what side of the pond I'm on!

As much as I personally take advantage of price drops, as a business owner I can understand what MAY be motivating RCCL's thought process behind this.

Everytime you use your credit card for a purchase the merchant pays a percentage of that purchase price to the credit card company.

Currently my rates are 1.9% to Visa/MC and 2.8% to Amex.

So...everytime someone uses a credit card to purchase something from me, I automatically lose money on the sale.

If I need to issue a refund to that person, I also pay a penalty to the credit card company.

I have, therefore, lost money twice on that sale.

I can only imagine the types of numbers we are talking about a company the size of RCCL!

Issuing OBC to patrons eliminates some of that lost revenue for RCCL.

You still get the money back, and Royal doesn't have to lose even more money of the sale.

What if the price of your cruise goes up is anyone willing to pay the cruiseline the difference?

With the pricing that RCCL has currently out on most FL sailings...it's more likely to go down than up;)...again very good example was my Easter sailing on Indy just this past April....$1739/pp to begin with and $899/pp for ALL balconies to end with...it's going to be the same this year...I would bet the bank on it...there is another 6000k passenger capacity now with oasis in the mix.....it may be very different in other places but here in FL there are just so many sailings that I haven't seen much go up lately.

my last OBC of $200 showed up on my reservation. That was with Celebrity.

I think if the cruiseline issues the OBC you will see it, but if its a travel agent OBC as add on value, then you wont see it until you get onboard.

I booked direct with RCI on the phone. I'll call them tomorrow just to check, I have a couple of other things to sort out too so I'll add price drops to my list. They are going to love me :p

Ok, fine, let's go with flights. Pay in advance for service on a specific date. no way an airline will refund a difference if the price drops.

DELTA gives you a credit for future use minus a hefty change fee... SW air gives a credit---but you dont have to spend it on board! :D

As much as I personally take advantage of price drops, as a business owner I can understand what MAY be motivating RCCL's thought process behind this.

Everytime you use your credit card for a purchase the merchant pays a percentage of that purchase price to the credit card company.

Currently my rates are 1.9% to Visa/MC and 2.8% to Amex.

So...everytime someone uses a credit card to purchase something from me, I automatically lose money on the sale.

If I need to issue a refund to that person, I also pay a penalty to the credit card company.

I have, therefore, lost money twice on that sale.

I can only imagine the types of numbers we are talking about a company the size of RCCL!

Issuing OBC to patrons eliminates some of that lost revenue for RCCL.

You still get the money back, and Royal doesn't have to lose even more money of the sale.

Keep in mind you can just cancel...thus cost to refund CC....it's just like these stupid airlines that charge for a bag...so now it takes 5X longer to board and people just bring everything onboard and end up getting it checked for free because it can't fit....for every action there is a reaction;)

What if the price of your cruise goes up is anyone willing to pay the cruiseline the difference?

:) Nope

I've paid way over the odds as it is (I wanted specific cabins) and there is only one way the price of my cruise is going and it's not up.

Well I just had to call the Diamond Plus desk for my gift on my upcoming cruise and also asked about the policy. What she said is not so much that they are going to offer you an upgrade, but encourage you to use the difference in what you are saving to upgrade to a better category..something that I actually do already. In fact on our upcoming freedom cruise when the price drop came out that is how we switched from our balcony cabin to the GS because it only cost us a little more.

I also specifically asked her what if the credit was a substantial amount and she said that you can get a refund of the cash when you are on the sailing if you do not use it.

I also specifically asked her what if the credit was a substantial amount and she said that you can get a refund of the cash when you are on the sailing if you do not use it.

If this is correct, then the possible action by RCCL is quite tolerable.

Is this fee levied by the cruiseline or your TA's?

Peter

Archived