Irons not allowed?

You're making an assumption that isn't reasonable based upon what I wrote.

Anyway, the main reason for this "rule" has nothing to do with the fire hazard. Those that are concerned about that risk possibly need to reflect on the enormously greater risk of that event that flows from the other devices allowed on board, and let's not forget the small but potentially immediately lethal fires that every smoker delights in starting and then usually leaves burning unattended.

So it's OK for you to break rules and do something potentially dangerous because others may do worse? Oh, and you're special. Please stay home.

Wow!

Bob, that's what was left on Sunday morning when we disembarked. Half the ship disembarked in Miami 5 days before, most of the rest disembarked on Friday when we arrived in Galveston. I don't know if they had "the table" out at all three disembarks. Notice there's a single burner grill and the knife was a large kitchen knife. Lol.

One more if I may - what adaptors do we need? US style?

Thanks!

From Royal Caribbean

all of our Royal Caribbean ships are equipped with North American standard, 110 volts AC and standard European 220/230 volts AC outlets.

ALso - no adapters that have surge protection. they will be confiscated

From Royal Caribbean

all of our Royal Caribbean ships are equipped with North American standard, 110 volts AC and standard European 220/230 volts AC outlets. ...

I believe this to be true the vast majority of the time, but I did not see a 220V outlet in our JS on Majesty a few weeks ago.

So long as you are present when operating the iron and remember to remove the power then there is no greater fire risk than is caused by any other device; and certainly not if compared to other items that get hot that you are allowed to take onboard.

and herein lies the problem, you are expecting EVERYONE who brings an iron on board to act responsibly with it. The truth of the matter is that there is always SOMEONE, and it will only take one, who will forget to unplug it or will get in the shower while waiting for the appliance to "warm up".

The reality here is that this is about revenue generation with the proof point being there are no guest laundries but there are options to pay very generously for the same to be done for you.

no, its not about revenue generation. It's about people being careless and forgetful.

and herein lies the problem, you are expecting EVERYONE who brings an iron on board to act responsibly with it.

Well, that's a expectation that I might have but it's not the expectation that I do have.

The cruise line could supply safe irons in all cabins. Doing so would significantly reduce revenue and so this doesn't happen.

I don't know a single cruiser that sends thier clothes to be pressed so I'm really not seeing this as a revenue source they care about. So your way off base with the "significantly reduce revenue" statement. They also ban coffee makers, hot plates and candles. If this is that big of an issue for you, bring a travel steamer. Works just as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

and herein lies the problem, you are expecting EVERYONE who brings an iron on board to act responsibly with it. The truth of the matter is that there is always SOMEONE, and it will only take one, who will forget to unplug it or will get in the shower while waiting for the appliance to "warm up".

no, its not about revenue generation. It's about people being careless and forgetful.

Agree. Cruise ships can not take the chance with the fire potential of an unattended iron. Sure would not want a fire to delay/cancel one of my cruises.

I don't know a single cruiser that sends thier clothes to be pressed so I'm really not seeing this as a revenue source they care about. So your way off base with the "significantly reduce revenue" statement. They also ban coffee makers, hot plates and candles. If this is that big of an issue for you, bring a travel steamer. Works just as well.

Fwiw we send hubby's stuff out to be pressed (and often dry cleaned) as soon as we get into the stateroom and have our bags. Even the dry cleaning is lower than our local places so it just makes sense.

Let's not be too hard on the OP. This is after all their first cruise. They clearly do not understand how ALL cruise lines take fire safety more seriously than perhaps anything else.

And...Disney cruise line has irons available in their laundry rooms. I assume they are safe and probably tethered so they stay in those rooms. But still, that line has them.

Probabky a whole lot more for a Disney cruise than for the OP's cruise plus $10-20 for a proper pressing though.

If they didn't make a profit I doubt they would offer the service.

They didn't make a profit on room service before and even with the new $7.95 service charges it is questionable if they make a profit. Laundry, if profitable at all, would way at the bottom of the list of profit centers on the ship.

Travel steamers are also not allowed. Would be confiscated just like an iron.

I know several people that have cruised countless times and never had an issue with bringing them. They are an extremely low fire risk in comparison to an iron. I sail on NCL and thier policy is vague to where they could be allowed or confiscated. I just checked RCCL and travel steamers are mentioned.

I know several people that have cruised countless times and never had an issue with bringing them. They are an extremely low fire risk in comparison to an iron. I sail on NCL and thier policy is vague to where they could be allowed or confiscated. I just checked RCCL and travel steamers are mentioned.

As I've said, the risk with steamers is the same as for most heating appliances, including coffee makers, which are also not allowed. The risk is that the "auto-off" switch that shuts the steamer off when the water is all gone (the temperature is constant while water is boiling, but will rise when it is no longer present), will fail, and the heating element will melt the water chamber, which can then catch fire or catch something else on fire. These auto-off switches are notorious for failure, and the things that the cruise lines provide, like coffee makers are routinely taken out of service for inspection and testing. Frankly, I don't feel that NCL's policy is vague at all as it prohibits items with "any kind of heating element".