Air Conditioning in Balcony Rooms?

Nope..just honest!

/quote]

....and selfish and rude..

I do not think so - how can you expect people to be inconvenienced by doing something because they MIGHT ( not even proven) have an effect on something else?

RCI will claim anything....I doubt the AC excuse - as we turn it off when we open the door! So there can not be any effect for others it is RCI - BS IMHO!

As myself and others have stated your causing problems for others by keeping your balcony door open, but putting that aside, just by opening your cabin door effects the overall ac unit of the ship and makes the unit work much harder to send cool air to the cabins surrounding you. Its putting stress on the ac unit which means the unit won't last as long and it won't work as well as it should because the overall unit has to work harder and therefore this will cause many maintenance issues on the unit.

There is one point that hasen't been brought up so far.....if your cruising in the Caribbean the weather basically stays in the 80's at night and much higher in the daytime, how the heck can the OP say the temperature is 75?!!

I bring and use a Honeywell HY900 turbo force air circulator fan, if you google it on amazon its only $14.89 its powerful and its portable fits in most regular size purses, I take it along with me when I go out for when I get warm.

The problem with this OP is he/she is keeping the balcony door open which isn't fair to others surrounding his cabin, and there is a reason why there are doors on the balcony, they are meant to be kept shut unless when entering/exiting the balcony/stateroom. I agree with spook wife!

OP said nothing about keeping the door open or wanting 75 degrees..............

My house is set at 78. I live in Florida. I love the hot weather.

I keep it between 78-80 all summer too. currently its off altogether. I did have to run the heater in January during our cold spell. my bill doubled to $90 !!!!!

Bouhunter hi, look at post #5, yes, he/she did say they leave the door open and in another post this person said they don't care about others here is a copy of the post:

Thorben-Hendrik

Nope..just honest!

Sorry folks - but our balcony-door stays open? (y)

You can bitch all you want....we like it that way and it is our choice!:halo:

Never 80 at night when we cruise.....anybody can live with 75 - get real!

We have a "our needs come first rule" that we use in these cases!

Sorry, this person only cares for themselves and doesn't care about others.

I do not think so - how can you expect people to be inconvenienced by doing something because they MIGHT ( not even proven) have an effect on something else?

RCI will claim anything....I doubt the AC excuse - as we turn it off when we open the door! So there can not be any effect for others it is RCI - BS IMHO!

Your first 4 words accurately describe the problem. And trying to blame the cruise line for your lack of consideration is beyond ridiculous.

I believe that chengkp75 has explained this thoroughly in other posts. I’d have to go back and search for them, but I think it depends on the ship. It can, and does, impact the rooms around you.

75 is a very nice temperature ....

We always keep the balcony door open at night....that is the best part of having a balcony keeping the door open at night!

Our room never gets warmer than 75 that way....but we do not sail during the summer season.

A/C systems are designed to keep cooling the air that been cooled already with a percentage of fresh air added. Thus leaving a door open weather to balcony or even the passage ways will change the temp in you cabin and one’s within the a/c boundary.

What is even worse, leaving a balcony door open creates a major fire danger as if there is a fire in the cabin, the air being drawn in from outside will feed the fire. Most cruise lines state to keep your balcony and passage way door closed at all times in

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is one point that hasen't been brought up so far.....if your cruising in the Caribbean the weather basically stays in the 80's at night and much higher in the daytime, how the heck can the OP say the temperature is 75?!!

I bring and use a Honeywell HY900 turbo force air circulator fan, if you google it on amazon its only $14.89 its powerful and its portable fits in most regular size purses, I take it along with me when I go out for when I get warm.

The problem with this OP is he/she is keeping the balcony door open which isn't fair to others surrounding his cabin, and there is a reason why there are doors on the balcony, they are meant to be kept shut unless when entering/exiting the balcony/stateroom. I agree with spook wife!

I never mentioned in my original post about the temp being 75?? (I don't know what it was but in my fiance's parents suite, their room was always really nice and cold when we visited (because of the multiple vents) and we asked my fiance's brother was his AC was like and he didn't know because they had the heat on due to his fiance hating the cold) but yes my neighbours kept going in and out of their rooms from very early in the morning (at least 4 AM) onwards. It's rather unpleasant to hear "bang bang bang" from people repeatedly opening and closing the balcony doors (in a very short span of time).

Also, I went with another cruise line (in regards to someone asking about a keycard being needed for the AC). We haven't traveled with RC before but my fiance's parents have and really enjoyed it (rather than the one we just finished with). They enjoyed several aspects of traveling with RC better. Our room for example only had 1 outlet and it was by the TV. I am not sure how RC is in regards to outlets.

Definitely considering a fan though as I think this will help (I've slept with a desk fan at nights back home for ages). I tried napping on the balcony when the ship was cruising and the wind felt awesome but sadly, our neighbours were not quiet and kept repeatedly opening and closing their balcony doors (as stated earlier, they began around 4 AM and continued onwards). I guess my etiquette is a little different. I would pull the door shut whenever I went out as to not disturb others.

We love RC also, in fact, we were using different cruise lines until last year we realized how much we are missing out not going on RC, therefore, we are staying with RC from now on.

I got confused with you OP and another member, no you didn't mention about 75, sorry.

My etiquette is just like you, respecting others around us, at least we live with a clean concious. :D

Well, doesn‘t it depend on the way the AC system works?

If it is running continously the doors must be kept closed whenever possible.

If you can switch off the AC system and the temperature difference between inside and outside is just a few degrees it is no issue to keep the door open for a while (not all night of course) as it does not affect the system or any other cabin.

If you can switch off the AC system and the temperature difference between inside and outside is just a few degrees it is no issue to keep the door open for a while (not all night of course) as it does not affect the system or any other cabin.

I'll wait for the Chief to weigh in on this, but I suspect that anytime the balcony door is open, it can effect the efficiency of the A/C in other staterooms. Something to do with air pressure.

I believe that chengkp75 has explained this thoroughly in other posts. I’d have to go back and search for them, but I think it depends on the ship. It can, and does, impact the rooms around you.

Correct. Chief more then once has talked about the fact that leaving balcony door open effects other cabins temps...

Bouhunter hi, look at post #5, yes, he/she did say they leave the door open and in another post this person said they don't care about others here is a copy of the post:

Thorben-Hendrik

Nope..just honest!

Sorry folks - but our balcony-door stays open? (y)

You can bitch all you want....we like it that way and it is our choice!:halo:

Never 80 at night when we cruise.....anybody can live with 75 - get real!

We have a "our needs come first rule" that we use in these cases!

Sorry, this person only cares for themselves and doesn't care about others.

But bleu.Orchid21 is the OP (original poster), not Thorben-Hendrik...

There are two different AC systems in use on the ship. One is like a window AC unit at home, that merely takes the cabin air and cools it while recirculating it back to the cabin. This is what is controlled by the cabin thermostat, and by the balcony door interlock, if fitted. This system is designed to recirculate 80% of the cabin's volume each hour.

The second AC system is the one that is affected by the balcony door being open, and that affects the cabins around yours when you leave the door open. This system is not controllable from the cabin, and can not be shut off. This system is designed to bring fresh air into the cabin, about 20% of the volume per hour, and is balanced by the bathroom exhaust vent, which removes about 20% per hour. This system takes outside fresh air, cools it in a large air handler (in those big white spaces down the middle of most cabin decks), and supplies this air to all of the cabins in a particular fire zone (between those pesky doors in the passageway) for one or two decks, meaning one fan and cooler handles 30-50 cabins. Now, this air is sent to the cabin at a higher pressure than normal HVAC systems, for one reason. This "overpressures" the cabins, forcing any leakage at the door to go out into the passageway, not the other way around. This prevents any possible smoke ingress to your cabin in an emergency.

Now, what happens when you open your balcony door? You replace the 2" diameter bathroom vent, and the 3/4" x 3' crack under the door that maintains the pressure balance in the cabin, with a 3' x 6' opening to outside. This immediately drops the cabin pressure to atmospheric, and the fresh air supply AC system sends all of the air to your cabin trying to rebuild the over pressure. This means that the other cabins lose much of their supply of fresh air (cooled), and also their overpressure safety feature, and now air is drawn back into their cabins from under the door, from the passageway (warmer). Therefore, the other cabins in the zone lose some of their AC capacity, and start getting warmer air supplied to the cabin.

How can you tell if this is happening? Real simple. I used to do it daily when I worked on cruise ships. You walk down the passageway, and listen for the air whistling under a door. 99 times out of 100, I would find the balcony door open in that cabin. Also, if it is your cabin with the door open, when you open the door to the passageway, you will create a wind tunnel, that blows everything out of your cabin. It doesn't do this when the balcony door is closed, so the door being open obviously has an effect on the AC balance in other areas than your cabin.

Your humble opinion may think it is BS, but I've worked on ships for 42 years as an engineer, 35 as Chief Engineer, and I have intimate knowledge of shipboard AC systems. Yes, there is a proven effect on others from having your balcony door open, and I've had to deal with it constantly over the years I worked cruise ships, when we would get whole banks of cabins complaining about their AC.

As myself and others have stated your causing problems for others by keeping your balcony door open, but putting that aside, just by opening your cabin door effects the overall ac unit of the ship and makes the unit work much harder to send cool air to the cabins surrounding you. Its putting stress on the ac unit which means the unit won't last as long and it won't work as well as it should because the overall unit has to work harder and therefore this will cause many maintenance issues on the unit.

We turn it off - so there is no point!:rolleyes:

Sleeping in 75 degree temps would be torture for me. I wouldn't get a wink of sleep.

In the winter time, at home, I close the heat vents to my bedroom and keep the door

shut. Sometimes it's 55 degrees in there and I love it.

On the ship, we turn the air all the way down and our room is usually around 70 degrees and sometimes goes down to 68

at night. There is a thermometer on my travel alarm clock. Nothing better than going

back to a cool room after laying out in the sun for a nice nap.

Why not all night?:confused: