Air Conditioning in Balcony Rooms?

We just got finished with a Caribbean cruise (my first cruise) through a different cruise line. We had a balcony room and while it was nice, I get terrible eczema when exposed to the sun/heat for long periods of time. The A.C. in our room almost seemed non-existent and from what I have read, it depends on if the surrounding rooms leave their balcony doors open or not.

I have heard that some people bring small fans with them or get the cabin steward to assist (something we didn't think to ask about during our recent cruise).

I am just curious as to how the A.C. on the balcony rooms are for a ship like the Serenade of the Seas (the one we will most likely be going on next year).

Thanks for the feedback :)

We've never had an issue with it being too hot....if the sun is on YOUR side of the ship, keeping your drapes drawn helps.....it's just like anywhere....if the sun is shining in, it gets hot!

That said, I always bring a small fan (5 in. desktop) for my hot flashes...I MUST have airflow at night. Doesn't do anything to cool the cabin, but if I'm "flashing", it makes all the difference. A hot flash isn't dependent on the ambient temperature...it's all within YOU!

The A/C seems to work fine most of the time, and not so fine other times. I suspect the poor A/C performance is as you mentioned, others nearby have their sliders open.

Our rooms are always too warm for us, at night the coldest it ever got was down to 74 with an average around 75 in the daytime. I will bring a fan, but we also choose a room that the ac vents are near the closets where the beds are if you get a cabin where the bed is by the balcony it feels warmer as the ac is further from that bed.

75 is hot to us at night to sleep....the reason why the rooms get so warm are because people keep the balcony doors open. We live in Florida so in the summer we sleep 69 degrees and winter 71, we can deal sleeping with 72 but anything warmer than that forget it for both of us too warm!

75 is also way too hot for me to sleep with. I normally sleep with a fan on at night (even during winter) and we keep our home around 60 degrees (even during winter). I have to take showers, not baths, because of how my body reacts to the heat (I can't even sauna or use a hot tub).

On the newer ships if the balcony doors are open for a long period of time the AC goes off. Also on newer ships you need to put a card in a slot when you enter the cabin to get the AC or lights to work. Not sure what ship you were on.

On the newer ships if the balcony doors are open for a long period of time the AC goes off. Also on newer ships you need to put a card in a slot when you enter the cabin to get the AC or lights to work. Not sure what ship you were on.

Correct!

But how does that relate to the topic?:confused:

The outside temperature at night is seldom over 75 when we cruise....

It is so nice to sleep with a warm brise in the cabin...!:hearteyes:

Correct!

But howym does that relate to the topic?:confused:

You mentioned in an earlier post how you leave your balcony door open, and that 75 was a very nice temperature. As many others have said, I also disagree - 75 is too hot for many people, especially in humid climates. It's the humidity not the temperature. By leaving your balcony door open you are being unfair to many of your neighbors. So often the air conditioning is affected by neighboring cabins having balcony doors open. Maintenance verified this when I complained about A/c not being cold enough.

OP - sailed Serenade about 18 months ago in a balcony junior suite. Found the A/c to be okay - not particularly cold - just pretty average. No complaints.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

Correct!

It is so nice to sleep with a warm brise in the cabin...![emoji813]eyes:

Ummm, dude you are part of the problem....

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Correct!

I seriously hope you are being sarcastic...

70-72 is a nice temperature at day and night. Several times I catched a cold in cold rooms (offices and hotels) with blowing and noisy ACs in America and no fresh air because you can’t open the window. How can somebody sleep with this noisy machines and cold wind blowing in your face? We even turn off the fridge in most hotels due to the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're on Adventure now and in a balcony room. I have the AC set just toward the warmer side of middle and it's plenty cool. I'd say 68-70 F. It was turned down colder when we first got on and was way too cold.

Good to hear.:)

75 is a very nice temperature ....

We always keep the balcony door open at night....that is the best part of having a balcony keeping the door open at night!

Our room never gets warmer than 75 that way....but we do not sail during the summer season.

and you are the reason why other cabins gets uncomfortably hot and their A/c doesn't work properly.

• Like 1

Correct!

want a warm breeze, sleep on the balcony.. WITH THE DOOR CLOSED

I took many a nap on our balcony last cruise. it was awesome.

• Like 1

There is one point that hasen't been brought up so far.....if your cruising in the Caribbean the weather basically stays in the 80's at night and much higher in the daytime, how the heck can the OP say the temperature is 75?!!

I bring and use a Honeywell HY900 turbo force air circulator fan, if you google it on amazon its only $14.89 its powerful and its portable fits in most regular size purses, I take it along with me when I go out for when I get warm.

The problem with this OP is he/she is keeping the balcony door open which isn't fair to others surrounding his cabin, and there is a reason why there are doors on the balcony, they are meant to be kept shut unless when entering/exiting the balcony/stateroom. I agree with spook wife!

I seriously hope you are being sarcastic...

Nope..just honest!

Sorry folks - but our balcony-door stays open? (y)

You can bitch all you want....we like it that way and it is our choice!:halo:

Never 80 at night when we cruise.....anybody can live with 75 - get real!

We have a "our needs come first rule" that we use in these cases!

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

Skid10 good for you speaking your mind, because I wanted to say the very same thing but refrained from doing so...I also said to myself....some people care about others and then there are others that only care about themselves...surely you summed up the result, I feel the very same way. I don't like people who disrespect others for their own benefits, its called being selfish, and that is the last thing I am made of.