Holiday gift ideas for wait staff & room steward?

We are sailing on Oasis for Christmas this year and would like to bring a little something extra for our wait staff and room steward to show appreciation for their efforts over the holidays. Any ideas of some things we could get them? Hoping for ideas that they will use/appreciate rather than just stuff to clutter up their small living quarters!

My vote would be extra cash in a teeny little shiny giftbox (think 2" x 2" square and metallic...that's what I'm picturing...haha). I just wouldn't want to get them any particular thing with sooo many different cultures and personalities, etc. Someone may be allergic to chocolates, no way to know what they actually need as far as a physical item. Everyone loves cash! :D

Extra cash. That and treating them with respect is appreciated by them 100% of the time, whereas with anything else you likely will at best satisfy 50% of them (and most that do like the gift probably would have liked extra cash even better). In addition to cash, mentioning them by name in written comments/feedback to the cruise line (assuming they provided excellent service) helps them towards promotions and obtaining extra perks from their supervisors. Gifts other than cash to crew members on cruise ships, while well intentioned, are typically not a good idea (and almost always a worse idea than extra cash).

Money isn't everything.....

A couple of years ago during a Christmas cruise we left a little gift of chocolate and a card with money on the bed Christmas eve before we left from dinner. I had been wearing around the ship one of those red felt elf hats and I took it off and left it on the bed not thinking much about it.

Much to our surprise when we got back from dinner, everything was gone including the hat. We just look at each other and laughed. The next morning we saw the cabin steward and he was wearing the hat proudly like a kid with a new toy. He came and thanked us for the hat as well as the chocolate and the extra money. He said that the holiday was tough for him being away from his family and it meant a lot to him that we left him a present.

They can always use Phone cards to call home.

No. Many of them use smart phones or computers and use Skype (or similar programs) to call home for free. Many have zero need for phone cards, and those who do generally know where to purchase them cheaper than you can AND know which cards work well for calling to their home country. Many phone cards have restrictions as to where they can be used and to where you can make calls. Phone cards as gifts to the crew are a bad idea. Instead of the phone card, give them the cash you were going to use to purchase the phone card as 99.9% of them will appreciate that much, much more.

The problem with the phone cards....not all are for calling FROM the places they'll be...and they know where to get the very cheapest ones.....so cash for that would be appreciated!

I know everytime we've given extra money (above and beyond the normal tips) it's be VERY well received and appreciated. That's why they're on the ship...to make money!!!

WOW, thanks for the advice. CASH seems to be the winner - and I can certainly understand why. I think I will find a creative way to "wrap" it and maybe add some chocolates or other candy to top it off. I'm sure if they don't like the candy, they can put a smile on a friend's face with it and spread the cheer around a little more. :)

Cash is welcome almost everywhere by almost everybody. It is the right size, flavor, and almost nobody is alergic to it. It can be work with every decor. It doesn't take up a lot of space and space is a problem in ships. (Do you think your cabin is small? Try living in one even smaller for months at a time.) Yes, I must concur with the majority here. Please make your gifts in the form of cash.

A couple of years ago during a Christmas cruise we left a little gift of chocolate and a card with money on the bed Christmas eve before we left from dinner. I had been wearing around the ship one of those red felt elf hats and I took it off and left it on the bed not thinking much about it.

Much to our surprise when we got back from dinner, everything was gone including the hat. We just look at each other and laughed. The next morning we saw the cabin steward and he was wearing the hat proudly like a kid with a new toy. He came and thanked us for the hat as well as the chocolate and the extra money. He said that the holiday was tough for him being away from his family and it meant a lot to him that we left him a present.

That is the cutest story! I can't imagine being away from my family almost all the time the way the crew members are, but I can imagine the holidays/birthdays are especially tough.

My teaching job dictates my cruising options, so whenever possible, I try to fit in a cruise during the winter holiday break. Having done half a dozen holiday sailings, I will wholeheartedly agree that cash is usually the best holiday gift for crew members.

That being said, I have talked to many crew members who have expressed how difficult and lonely it can be to be away from family during the holiday season. As a result, I usually try to come up with some little creative token to distribute that will evoke a smile. For the crew members I encounter at the gangways, buffets, and bars, I tie small amounts of $$ to candy canes to give out as extra little tips. The candy canes bring a chuckle almost every time! For my waiters and room stewards, I usually put an additional bit of money in a non-religious holiday card (Santa, reindeer, or decorated palm tree images) tied with a ribbon to a jumbo candy bar (the 100 Grand Bar is always a big hit) or fill a tiny stocking with chocolate candy kisses and tuck extra cash inside.

As an aside, allow me to share a holiday gift story. Several years ago I was into making jewerly. My favorite creations were silver faced watches with bands made of crystal beads. I had worn several during the course of the week to dinner, and our female assistant waiter had commented that she found each one lovely. I decided that one she'd particularly liked would be wrapped and left on the table the last night of the cruise, which was Christmas Eve. I slipped the package under my napkin right before we departed from the dining room, and before we could get to the exit, she came running up with tears in her eyes and thanked me. I think the gesture meant alot to her, but seeing how much she appeared to appreciate the watch was one of the best gifts that I received that year. :)

Cash but get creative! I'm always curious about people's reaction to, well, life in general. :rolleyes: The "watch" story,

along with the hat sent my brain into action! :o Maybe the hat thrilled him because he could now "celebrate" along with

others? Maybe he comes from a place where they do not celebrate and it was his first chance? There could be a whole

list of maybe and why's, but I'm guessing it made him/her feel connected. I hope that I get a chance in the future to make someone's day with such a simple guesture. I do try. :o

WOW, thanks for the advice. CASH seems to be the winner - and I can certainly understand why. I think I will find a creative way to "wrap" it and maybe add some chocolates or other candy to top it off. I'm sure if they don't like the candy, they can put a smile on a friend's face with it and spread the cheer around a little more. :)

We usually leave extra cash for our room steward, as well as a little gift. Last time we brought some locally made candy (Texas pralines) and a deck of cards with the Dallas skyline. I tried to think of something that would not take up much space. The steward appreciated the cash, but seemed extremely thankful for the candy and cards.

Archived