For Oceania cruisers considering Azamara

Pirouette

Both Oceania and Windstar do a nice cruise. I seldom use the pool on any cruise. What I miss on both lines is an indoor pool. Nothing like a day of touring followed by a nice indoor walk in a pool. I like cruising in cooler climates. I find it great for touring. When it is hot, I just want to sit and relax. Windstar's sports platform is a blast. Beach days on Windstar are great. It would be nice if all ships had some indoor pool or hot tubs available. The forward deck on the R ships is often windy.

We're looking at various cruise lines for 2019 Greek intensive itinerary and appreciate the comparisons.

I would send you to,AZ due to late nights in port. Oceania makes you come back for dinner. On AZ you can enjoy dinner on an island with real Greek food.

Contessa, if you are still reading this thread, any issues with smoking on O?

A caution to others considering the WS triplets, they allow cigar and pipe smoking on the port side of the outdoor Star Bar. On our Legend cruise there were cigar smokers present seemingly 24/7, with the Star Bar and much of the pool deck rendered uninhabitable due to the wind swirling the cigar smoke everywhere. We always had to get our drinks at the Star Bar and retreat to the observation lounge. And we had specifically booked the cruise to lounge outside and drink umbrella drinks...

I haven't seen an answer to your question so I'll horn in ...

If you are a smoker the issue would be that smoking is SO limited. There is a limited area where you can smoke on Oceania ships. If you are walking on the wrong side of the pool deck you can get a whiff of cigars as I once did. No smoking on verandas or in any of the cabins.

Back in Renaissance days someone posted about hearing a violent argument from a boarding passenger (on Ren smoking was totally banned). Apparently his TA hadn't been aware of the no smoking policy and this guy was totally incensed. Not that he got anywhere ...

On the "O" ships there is an enclosed smoking area in Horizons. I don't recall if there is a similar area on the "R" ships but if there is (in Horizons) it is not enclosed ... or at least I don't think it is!

Someone else will correct me, I'm sure! I avoid the smoking areas so I'm not really up on the "rules".

Mura

Interesting! I'm sure I heard the opposite!

Never wandered in there myself, despite Dan's exhortations that the smokers are the best people! They may be!!! But I can't stand the smoke ...

Thanks for posting the photo.

Mura

I’m in Maura’s camp and can not take any smoke. What good does that nice enclosure possibly do without a door?

Maybe I need glasses but it sure looks like there's a door there. Maybe you mean the O ships?

The photo I posted is of the Regatta

the O class ships I did not notice a door ..maybe it was open & just never noticed but there were no smokers in there at the time so did not smell any smoke

I do not have a photo on the O class ship

Orv please have a look on your next sailing so I can know whether I am crazy or not ;)

The photo I posted is of the Regatta

the O class ships I did not notice a door ..maybe it was open & just never noticed but there were no smokers in there at the time so did not smell any smoke

I do not have a photo on the O class ship

Orv please have a look on your next sailing so I can know whether I am crazy or not ;)

I'm on the Insignia next, it'll be a year before I'm on Marina again, (theoretically)

I looked up the Marina pictures on CC and there's no door on them.

I'm on the Insignia next, it'll be a year before I'm on Marina again, (theoretically)

I looked up the Marina pictures on CC and there's no door on them.

That is what I thought

I will get a photo in April then ;)

I usually go in the other side of Horizons

I haven't seen an answer to your question so I'll horn in ...

If you are a smoker the issue would be that smoking is SO limited. There is a limited area where you can smoke on Oceania ships. If you are walking on the wrong side of the pool deck you can get a whiff of cigars as I once did. No smoking on verandas or in any of the cabins.

Back in Renaissance days someone posted about hearing a violent argument from a boarding passenger (on Ren smoking was totally banned). Apparently his TA hadn't been aware of the no smoking policy and this guy was totally incensed. Not that he got anywhere ...

On the "O" ships there is an enclosed smoking area in Horizons. I don't recall if there is a similar area on the "R" ships but if there is (in Horizons) it is not enclosed ... or at least I don't think it is!

Someone else will correct me, I'm sure! I avoid the smoking areas so I'm not really up on the "rules".

Mura

Mura, I did respond. I am "Contessa" ;-)

What has your experience been on pricing comparisons between Windstar and O -- price per day, in your experience, to put them on an apples-to-apples basis? Any comments you have on that subject would be appreciated.

It can vary. Windstar is often very expensive. Windstar is uninclusive in many ways. Included are soft drinks and special coffees anywhere, no fee for specialty restaurants, deck BBQ better than other lines, excellent food, loccitane toiletries, and great service. Cabins on the sailing ships are small, well arranged, and have no verandas. Star ships are all big suites, some have a french balcony, top suites have a real balcony, and everything thay sailing ships offer. Not included are tips, liquor, excursions, transfers, and internet. Internet is costly and often is poor. You can buy the extras. Windstar is often more expensive than Oceania. Sometimes you can get a good deal. There is a weekly special where 7 selected cruises are on sale. There are flash sales and often holiday sales. Repeat guests get 5-10% off future bookings not just on the ship. Why do I love Windstar? It is well organized, crew is fabulous, able to visit small ports, and never any crowds. It is so relaxing. It is really fun. I do like Oceania and Azamara. I have future booked cruises on both lines. They do a nice cruise.

On both Riviera and Marina, the smoking room has no door. Defeats the entire purpose of a separate smoking area as the smoke can be smelled all the way out to the elevators and is overpowering going into Horizons. Such an easy fix, FDR. PLEASE?

On both Riviera and Marina, the smoking room has no door. Defeats the entire purpose of a separate smoking area as the smoke can be smelled all the way out to the elevators and is overpowering going into Horizons. Such an easy fix, FDR. PLEASE?

I do not believe FDR reads the forums anymore

Maybe address it onboard or write to the President of Oceania

We go in the other entrance

This thread seemed to be for O vs Azamara comments but has broadened. Ive taken perhaps 6 on O and 4-5 on Azamara. I just returned from 28 days on Sirena and up to this point would always say the food on O was much better. Not this time. Having taken many ships I try to think about how many things on the menu really "taste great". My Crystal cruise last fall I had commented 90% of everything I had tasted great. On Sirena I say perhaps 10%. From prior cruises the cooking had dropped way down. The still serve high end offerings and you can get lobster every day. But seasoning had been eliminated. I would say "suitable for those on a bland diet".

Regarding Azamara I now think the food and entertainment would be on par. I prefer the open bar approach as I enjoy my cocktails. Plus for the same money you get more on Azamara: Amazing evening events are generally spectacular; White night parties are elaborate and terrific. Azamara gives the captain and ships officers higher profile...a welcome touch. O offers neither.

So my three lines of preference are now Crystal, Azamara and O.

Firstforty2012 states that on his/her recent 28-day Sirena cruise only 10% of the menu items “tasted great.” If that was the Athens to Miami cruise, I was also onboard the Sirena. I had an entirely different experience with the food. I would say that 90% of the menu items tasted great. I found, though, that the some of the food in Red Ginger was very bland. We asked for spicier food and were given chili sauce on the side, which helped. The wait staff will work with you if you tell them what you would like. The food in all of the other restaurants was excellent. I loved the special-themed dinners in the Terrace Café, especially the Greek, Indian and Spanish dinners. We all have different tastes and likes in food, so I didn’t want a bad review of the food on Sirena to pass without comment.