Included Wine Selection - Again

Question for all you Seabourn hands. Wife and I are trying Seabourn for the first-time on the Sept. 19 Montreal. I have seen a lot written about the included wines. To anyone's knowledge have the inclusive cruise lines ever held a wine-tasking in the beginning of the cruise of the wines they offer inclusive (not selling)? Has anyone ever had them line up 4 or 5 to sample – to make some choices of what sits best on your palate. My wife and I have totally opposite tastes – we are not wine connoisseurs but sure enough if she likes it I hate it– if I like it she hates it. A wine tasting of the included wines that are around the ship – either arranged or impromptu would save a lot of trial and error over the course.

Silversea did it on our first (which is also our last) voyage with them. I have suggested this on a few occasions to the Seabourn beverage team. I thought it was a terrific way to introduce the included wines to passengers.

I haven't participated in an organised wine tasting like you describe (there is one for the paid options), but there is absolutely no reason at all that you can't find a seat at a bar or table and ask to be served your own private wine tasting! I am sure the staff will be very happy to assist you to find a wine/s for your respective palates.

Good luck finding out what the included wines actually are! It seems to be a closely guarded secret. There are lists apparently but as the wine selection changes according to itinerary (for restocking purposes I assume?) it would very difficult to provide a definitive list.

I have not had a problem getting a copy of the house wines. As I don’t want to spend time grilling the server as to what is a available I usually ask the Sommelier or Bar manager for a copy of the list shortly after boarding. Within 24 hours a copy is sent to my suite. Yes, during the course of a cruise the selection does change as they run out of certain wines and bring new ones on in selective ports but it certainly makes life easier to start with the list. I have never understood why they don’t just give a copy to everyone when they board. Perhaps it is because there is always that percentage of passengers who would make their life miserable when they run out of a particular wine by claiming “ well its on the list why don’t you have it?”

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are probably correct. Also, my inner cynic (who, moi?) wonders if the wine list isn't more widely available because we'd be able to see how cheap some of them are. Not that it matters to us - if it tastes good we don't care if it's $5 or $50 a bottle but it's very important to others. In our experience price isn't necessarily an indicator of quality anyway.

On our last trip which was a long one, several times I saw the crew just prior to departure loading cases of freshly purchased local wines. So, while Seabourn has some staples, they also take on wine as they go. Don’t sweat it. You’ll find something you like.

It. I have never understood why they don’t just give a copy to everyone when they board. Perhaps it is because there is always that percentage of passengers who would make their life miserable when they run out of a particular wine by claiming “ well its on the list why don’t you have it?”

Agree 100% - give me the list (although like you I ASK for it) with the disclaimer it will change based on the port and provisions - once saw a pallet of wine dropped as did another CC poster :( I like the suggestion of another poster: have a tasting the first night for those who are not familiar with those offerings or wish to taste them - great idea. Then if you don't like them, do as we do, buy off the revenue list and DON'T Complain,

You do not have to ask the bar manager, go to the square and ask ,and they will print you a copy whilst you wait.;p

On my last cruise I asked 3 times for a wine list. No problem they said, what’s your cabin number. I never did receive a list even though the third time I wrote a note to the F&B manager by name. In the end a very nice barman showed us the wines he had at the bar, giving his opinion on them and offered us the chance to taste them. Clearly ‘they’ didn’t want to give us a list.

There are always two reds and two whites that remain on the included pour list and most people find something that is drinkable

I like to mix the included list and the chargeable list and suit my selection to the cuisine being offered in whichever venue I am dining at

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

Well I’m not exactly sure what you are suggesting by the two whites and two reds but on my recent cruises there have been about twenty house wines which include the champagne, a couple of roses and the remainder split pretty evenly between reds and whites. Some of those are the usual suspects that appear on most cruises ( Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc, Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio, Castelo Banff Chianti, Kendal Jackson Cabernet). Any of these wines will come and go on a cruise depending on consumption patterns, initial stocks and resupply opportunities.

They always seem to have my two least favourites amongst the selection on the included list. The Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio (I know it's very popular with other Seabourners, but I find it undrinkable) and ditto the Wingspan. Always available.

When they offer the pour of the day if it's a wine that I'm not familiar with I ask if I can try it and they pour me enough to do so. If I like it then I ask them to go ahead and fill the glass, or I ask for something different. It can be a little hit and miss asking for alternate recommendations, so I usually ask for one of my favourites instead. For white wine I tend to prefer Chardonnay and they usually have the Petit Chablis available or the Louis Latour. Reds I'm easier to please and will pretty much drink anything ! ;p Except a Pinot Noir they had onboard once. They've also had some quite pleasant rosé in the past 3 years or so.

Edited by Isklaar
Added a couple of words for clarity

Thank you for the responses. I imagine if Seabourn just offered a wine tasting early on - once they settle their stock for a cruise - I bet it would actually be very popular and well attended - add in their kitchen capabilities for accompanying morsels - and you have an on board event. - And yes I guess we can line them up ourselves but having a little bit of expertise surrounding the selections them makes it more interesting.

We too will be first timers with seabourne. We are used to picking the wine and food pairing, in that order usually so we would want to know the included wines. Will probably do the tasting the first day so we know what is available when we see a menu. Will there be a sommelier to help?

They always seem to have my two least favourites amongst the selection on the included list. The Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio (I know it's very popular with other Seabourners, but I find it undrinkable) and ditto the Wingspan. Always available.

When they offer the pour of the day if it's a wine that I'm not familiar with I ask if I can try it and they pour me enough to do so. If I like it then I ask them to go ahead and fill the glass, or I ask for something different. It can be a little hit and miss asking for alternate recommendations, so I usually ask for one of my favourites instead. For white wine I tend to prefer Chardonnay and they usually have the Petit Chablis available or the Louis Latour. Reds I'm easier to please and will pretty much drink anything ! ;p Except a Pinot Noir they had onboard once. They've also had some quite pleasant rosé in the past 3 years or so.

Isklaar I do the same as you with the included wines. I find that by tasting wines I am unfamiliar with I soon learn which to ask for if the pour is not to my palate.

I think it would be very difficult to do a wine tasting early on. The first night would be very difficult to organise as an extra thing to do on a busy turn around day. Usually the second or third night is the Captain's welcome and Formal Optional night so you couldn't do it then. During the Northern Summer many cruises now seem to be 7 day cruises so hard to fit in an extra event every 7 day cruise. JMO

happy cruzer I suggest you ask for a inclusive wine list at guest services in Seabourn Square on embarkation so you can look through it. Not all wines listed may be available and some extras may have been added. It will depend on what is restocked in port. There is a head Sommelier and assistant Sommeliers onboard. There are a reasonable number of wines, so by specifying a varietal type you wish to have with your food it will help narrow the choices.

Julie

P.S. On my Silversea cruise in January they never offered a wine tasting of the inclusive wines and getting an inclusive wine list was very difficult.

Edited by frantic36

For white wine I tend to prefer Chardonnay and they usually have the Petit Chablis available or the Louis Latour.

I was told that they no longer stock the Petit Chablis so I pre-ordered some Chablis before the cruise, when I got onboard in January I was told unfortunately they could not get any Chablis for me.

Well I’m not exactly sure what you are suggesting by the two whites and two reds but on my recent cruises there have been about twenty house wines which include the champagne, a couple of roses and the remainder split pretty evenly between reds and whites. Some of those are the usual suspects that appear on most cruises ( Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc, Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio, Castelo Banff Chianti, Kendal Jackson Cabernet). Any of these wines will come and go on a cruise depending on consumption patterns, initial stocks and resupply opportunities.

I'm suggesting that you will always see the same two reds and whites on the included list

Of course there are other wines on the list

That goes without saying really

Sent from my SM-G955F using Forums mobile app

I was told that they no longer stock the Petit Chablis so I pre-ordered some Chablis before the cruise, when I got onboard in January I was told unfortunately they could not get any Chablis for me.

If that was Sojourn, it's probably because I drank it all on the Holiday cruise. :D

Seriously though, if the Petit Chablis is no longer on the list it will be a pity, I always enjoyed it with seafood and especially at lunchtime.

Isklaar I do the same as you with the included wines. I find that by tasting wines I am unfamiliar with I soon learn which to ask for if the pour is not to my palate.

And they're always happy to bring alternatives, it's never been a problem. Sometimes the server isn't very knowledgeable about wine but we have a little chat about what others they have and it always works out fine in the end.

On every cruise I've always found wines that I enjoy amongst the included selection, and if I want something special, I ask for the actual wine list and buy a bottle.

I think it would be very difficult to do a wine tasting early on. The first night would be very difficult to organise as an extra thing to do on a busy turn around day. Usually the second or third night is the Captain's welcome and Formal Optional night so you couldn't do it then. During the Northern Summer many cruises now seem to be 7 day cruises so hard to fit in an extra event every 7 day cruise. JMO

happy cruzer I suggest you ask for a inclusive wine list at guest services in Seabourn Square on embarkation so you can look through it. Not all wines listed may be available and some extras may have been added. It will depend on what is restocked in port. There is a head Sommelier and assistant Sommeliers onboard. There are a reasonable number of wines, so by specifying a varietal type you wish to have with your food it will help narrow the choices.

Julie

P.S. On my Silversea cruise in January they never offered a wine tasting of the inclusive wines and getting an inclusive wine list was very difficult.

Thanks for the helpful reply. We will plan to at least get some idea of the wines available before dinner time. We do like to know more than just red or white is available...

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think it's possible to get a list of the premium wines sold for a particular cruise?

Our first and only cruise thus far, was the SeaDream and I found most of the included wines to be unacceptable to my palette so I'm just assuming I'll be in the same situation on the Seabourn, particularly if, as PP mentioned things like Santa Margherita are always one of the included offerings.

Do you think it's possible to get a list of the premium wines sold for a particular cruise?

Our first and only cruise thus far, was the SeaDream and I found most of the included wines to be unacceptable to my palette so I'm just assuming I'll be in the same situation on the Seabourn, particularly if, as PP mentioned things like Santa Margherita are always one of the included offerings.

I believe the premium wines would vary by cruise. There is a very large list but some of the wines listed may not be available. Last I looked, yesterday, very high end wines were available. Some bottles cost thousands of dollars. They also offer great glasses of wine and bring the sealed bottle to your table. They are able to pour using that new fang led needle nose wine preserver/dispenser. You can also request wines before your voyage and they will try to have them in stock.