Alaskan Coral or Royal?

Steflkd

I am planning an Alaskan cruise in August of 2019 with my husband and two children, ages 11 and 9. We’ve narrowed it down to coral and royal - royal being brand new and apparently first year sailing in Alaska and coral being an older ship. Which to choose? We’ve never been on a cruise before so any other tips you have would be great! Also, our agent was going to put us in the back of the ship C716 I think. Any thoughts on that? Thank you!

We love the Royal for many reasons, but for Alaska where being outside on the open decks for viewing is best, I would choose the Coral. Also smaller ship and much easier off and on.

This link shows the various balconies and locations on the Coral. Some balconies are covered and some uncovered, you can see which ones on this.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have been on both of those ships. Royal once and Coral twice (with a third already booked on her). For me, it is no choice I would pick the Coral any day over the Royal. While I do like all of the different Princess ships that I have been on, the Royal is at the bottom of my list and the Coral is at the top.

The Royal is much larger (but less space per person) than the Coral and the Royal has a much better buffet.

The Coral is smaller (but more space per person) and has a real promenade. Plus (IMHO) the Coral has more outdoor viewing spaces.

We also like having a cabin somewhere in the aft half of the ship, so for us the cabin your TA is suggesting is fine.

After you have cruised a few times, you will have a better idea of what size ship suites your family the best.

I am planning an Alaskan cruise in August of 2019 with my husband and two children, ages 11 and 9. We’ve narrowed it down to coral and royal - royal being brand new and apparently first year sailing in Alaska and coral being an older ship. Which to choose? We’ve never been on a cruise before so any other tips you have would be great! Also, our agent was going to put us in the back of the ship C716 I think. Any thoughts on that? Thank you!

Being towards the rear of the ship wouldn't bother me but that 3rd & 4th bunk would. 9VwMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnvIHR6YDwOtrlgoAAAAASUVORK5CYII=symbol_third_and_fourth_person.gif You'll be banging your head in every time you get up.

Over all the Royal is a much better choice.

for me--coral all the way.

better viewing areas, promenade deck that goes all the way around the ship, easier on/ off in ports, covered pool.

as for your cabin, i personally prefer cabins more forward than aft. mid ship is where you want to be to minimize motion. most caribe deck cabins (that's where the 'c' before the cabin number comes in) have larger balconies that are half covered and half uncovered- quite perfect for alaska. your cabin has cabins above and below it so it is quieter.

here's a site that will give you the information on the balconies: http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

(note, the island princess is different since aft cabins were added).

have fun on your first cruise! that's exciting!

Being towards the rear of the ship wouldn't bother me but that 3rd & 4th bunk would. 9VwMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnvIHR6YDwOtrlgoAAAAASUVORK5CYII=symbol_third_and_fourth_person.gif You'll be banging your head in every time you get up.

Over all the Royal is a much better choice.

Really? C716 on Coral is a mini-suite. No overhead bunks. Upper is over the sofabed. On Royal it is an inside cabin with bunks on the wall. EM

For your first cruise AND Alaska, I'd recommend Coral. A cabin on Caribbean deck is large and partially covered so you are protected against soggy days, so plenty of room for you and your kiddos to enjoy wildlife viewing from there. We love the a dolphin deck mini so we can look straight down into the water, but many of those cabins have uncovered balconies (don't mind those at all, but some do). Also the aft decks are public which is handy for glacier or scenic cruising days. We do love the Royal, but with the tiny balconies (unless you book the angled mid-ship cabins) it's tougher to have the family bundled together out there. Coral has a wide Promenade deck with teak loungers circling deck 7, Horizon Court buffet located in the front of the ship which gives a better panoramic view, nice covered pool area (also great for protected viewing after dinner). We love the dedicated card room and large library on deck 8 (emerald). Also, our favorite Wheelhouse bar of any Princess ship, which is large, well located and nicely appointed. While Royal is lovely and new, in my opinion Coral has more great features better suited for a scenic cruising itinerary. Whichever you choose, have a lovely experience with your family. Alaska is wonderful!

Another vote for the Coral for all the reasons mentioned above. For a different cruise I might choose the Royal (a California Coastal, for instance) but for Alaska I would go for a smaller ship with fewer passengers and a larger (and most definitely at least a partially covered) balcony. Enjoy your trip. Alaska is beautiful!

We would pick the Coral as our favorite ship. Having sailed twice through the Panama Canal, we sailed her in Alaska last year in early September. At first, we were concerned when the weather turned bad, and everyone was inside and away from the pools, it would seem crowded, but that was never the case. The big, wrap around promenade deck is one of the reasons we like this ship, along with plenty of open deck areas for viewing. We did one mini-suite on Baja, in the front and a full suite in the back and both areas were fine with us.

We did an Alaskan cruise on Coral at the beginning of June, it's now my favorite Princess ship! We liked using the card room, which was the biggest of any Princess ship we've been on, liked the size and "feel" of the ship, too. And don't forget about the aft viewing spots on each deck.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

I am also going to say Coral Princess. Do yourself a favor and book a mini suite for the extra space. The bunkbeds are not pretty for 4 in a cabin, even for kids.

If your kids were older, I would try to convince you to do 2 cabins but with their ages, do a mini suite.

The Royal Princess would be the last choice for me.

Coral!!! 1980 passengers.

Nothing wrong with the aft cabins in the 700's.

Thats where we like to be. Great aft viewing area on Caribe Deck.

:D:D:D

photo-e.jpg

Caribe deck is right above the window washing equipment.

Check out this web site...........

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

No offense to LoriPhil, however the Coral is not like the Grand class ships and doesn't have the same extra large, partially covered Caribe (not Caribbean) balconies.

For your first cruise AND Alaska, I'd recommend Coral. A cabin on Caribbean deck is large and partially covered so you are protected against soggy days.....

No question though, the Coral would be our choice for an Alaskan cruise.

With the move toward building more Royal Class ships (and soon Leviathan ships), Princess is more or less committed to positioning its large ships in AK. In the future that's all they'll have. But as for now, when a ship with fewer than 2000 people remains an option, and one that has a real Promenade and spacious outdoor decking and balconies that are more than 2 feet deep, that is what you want to choose for Alaska.

CORAL it is.

Oops - I meant to say Carib deck (deck 10) balcony was large; However I'm remembering that our balcony on Coral Carib deck was very spacious and partially covered. We only did balcony there once and it was our first cruise in 2007, but am I mistaken on that?

Royal is newer, the food is better, and if your kids like shows, the production shows are much more flashy, fun, and unique. They've just gotten a brand new show called The Secret Silk produced by Stephen Schwartz (Godspell, Wicked) which features life size puppets handled by many cast members in the show. Both it and Encore are must-sees for the spectacle alone.

If it's just about being outside for the views or for having more space, the Coral is better, but overall, I think your children would have more options on Royal.

Coral is also a training ship for many staff members, from what someone told me the last time I sailed, so you might not have as many experienced crew members or cruise staff as you would on Royal.

I'd gamble on Royal if you have children and if anything I've mentioned lines up with your situation.

Coral is also a training ship for many staff members, from what someone told me the last time I sailed, so you might not have as many experienced crew members or cruise staff as you would on Royal.

Training ship? This is false.We have sailed the Coral many times. Never heard such a thing. Crew turnover happens on all ships and they are coming and going on every cruise. It balances out. There are experienced crew on every Princess ship. By the way food is subjective.

Royal is newer, the food is better, and if your kids like shows, the production shows are much more flashy, fun, and unique. They've just gotten a brand new show called The Secret Silk produced by Stephen Schwartz (Godspell, Wicked) which features life size puppets handled by many cast members in the show. Both it and Encore are must-sees for the spectacle alone.

If it's just about being outside for the views or for having more space, the Coral is better, but overall, I think your children would have more options on Royal.

I'd gamble on Royal if you have children and if anything I've mentioned lines up with your situation.

Evidently the newer features of the Royal don't entice some folks to choose that ship.

Although the Coral food is decent the difference in the food alone makes me want to go on the Royal as well as the new shows.