Cozumel Dolphin Royal Swim

Loudinkl

My wife and I are going on our first cruise in December on Royal Caribbean Oasis of the seas. I pre booked the Dolphin swim excursion. She recently dislocated and broke her left arm and had surgery last week. Is this something she can partially do and enjoy or should I cancel it? She may still be in a sling with limited use of that arm. Thanks.

My wife and I are going on our first cruise in December on Royal Caribbean Oasis of the seas. I pre booked the Dolphin swim excursion. She recently dislocated and broke her left arm and had surgery last week. Is this something she can partially do and enjoy or should I cancel it? She may still be in a sling with limited use of that arm. Thanks.

I am sure that the trained captive mistreated dolphins will be very happy that she will not be there.

DON

Welcome to Cruise Critic - I do hope you and your wife enjoy your cruise.

With regards to the Dolphin Excursion - many folks on this forum do participate and seem to have a great time - not sure that your wife would enjoy it with her arm in a cast.

Some folks on this forum, and I am one of them - have begun to question whether these activities may actually be somewhat cruel for the dolphins - especially the ones where these extremely intelligent creatures do not have access to the open sea - which unfortunately is most of them. The dolphin's smile is not a real smile, after all.

I encourage you to do your own research and make up your own mind - and again enjoy your cruise!

Keith

Welcome to Cruise Critic - I do hope you and your wife enjoy your cruise.

With regards to the Dolphin Excursion - many folks on this forum do participate and seem to have a great time - not sure that your wife would enjoy it with her arm in a cast.

Some folks on this forum, and I am one of them - have begun to question whether these activities may actually be somewhat cruel for the dolphins - especially the ones where these extremely intelligent creatures do not have access to the open sea - which unfortunately is most of them. The dolphin's smile is not a real smile, after all.

I encourage you to do your own research and make up your own mind - and again enjoy your cruise!

Keith

Gimme a break! Open the enclosure and see what the dolphins do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Many people are not yet aware of how dolphins arrive at the swim with dolphin attractions or how they are 'trained' to perform for you/swim with you. If everyone wanting to swim with a dolphin or participate would take a few minutes to visit this link and learn a bit more our mammal friends would appreciate it.

https://www.dolphinproject.com/campaigns/captivity-industry/swimming-with-dolphins/

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Go to Va. Beach....rent a small sailboat and sail along the shoreline. Wild dolphins are there in DROVES! They sometimes swim right next to, or even UNDER the boat! It's amazing. No..you can't touch them, or hold onto them, but these are wild animals, taking an interest in you! Absolutely awesome.

I grew up in Va. Beach. Dolphins are there at least twice a day...usually more....a sight to see!

Let me give you analogy that I think works.

A species that is more technically advanced than us lands on earth. They decide to capture some humans and take them back to their home planet which we will call planet X to keep them as attractions in the planet X extraterrestrial theme park. They figure that they can train their earthling captives to perform and for an extra fee, the planet X park visitors can come into the earthling enclosures to play with the earthlings and maybe even feed them. They even breed new earthlings so that when the ones that they have captured wear out or die, they can keep the earthling enclosure stocked with specimens.

Does this scenario accurately describe the dolphin enclosures and also the dolphin swim encounter?

DON