Cash vs credit card in Sydney and NZ

Hi all

We are now in the final stages of planning our 2 cruises--one around Australia and one to NZ, both out of Sydney. We are trying to figure out how to manage cash vs credit cards. I have a few questions and I hope they don't sound too trivial or stupid, but the answers will help us plan. Here goes:

Can you tell me if supermarkets, grocery stores, etc take only cash or do they also take credit cards? I am thinking Aldi, Coles, etc. Also for bottle stores.

I am assuming that pubs/hotels and restaurants will take credit cards--correct?

We are hoping to attend an AFL match on Mar 25. Ticket prices haven't been posted, and we will work this when we get there. Will we be able to pay for tickets with a credit card? I guess general admission will work--will we have a problem buying tickets (need 4) since we have to wait until Mar 10 at the soonest?

I understand (and agree with) the Australian tradition of not tipping. Does this apply to cruises as well? We usually tip our cabin steward if they have taken good care of us but I am uncertain as to whether this falls under the no tipping advice.

I am also assuming that attractions like the Sydney zoo will take credit cards--is this true?

Thanks for any help. For a number of reasons I won't go into, we can't use ATMs, so we are trying to figure things out before we go.

Cheers

ML

Credit cards and Debit Cards (those are the type which have credit on them) are widely accepted everywhere.

Just make sure you have a four digit pin number imbedded in the card before you leave as you will often be asked to insert the pin number to complete the transaction.

Same applies to Debit Cards.

Many ATM machines are also located inside banks so safe to use if you feel unhappy about using machines on the streets.

Small amounts like under $10 - cash is normally expected or you may be asked to pay a surcharge if paying by card.

You can get by mainly with cards but some cash will be required for small purchases as mentioned above.

Many cards issued to Aussies now have the PAYWAVE system incorporated in the card whereby if the transaction is less than $100, you can just tap the card on the reader and go.

We are not too backwards here as you will find out on your wonderful tour to the downunder.

Credit cards and Debit Cards (those are the type which have credit on them) are widely accepted everywhere.

Just make sure you have a four digit pin number imbedded in the card before you leave as you will often be asked to insert the pin number to complete the transaction.

Same applies to Debit Cards.

Many ATM machines are also located inside banks so safe to use if you feel unhappy about using machines on the streets.

Small amounts like under $10 - cash is normally expected or you may be asked to pay a surcharge if paying by card.

You can get by mainly with cards but some cash will be required for small purchases as mentioned above.

Many cards issued to Aussies now have the PAYWAVE system incorporated in the card whereby if the transaction is less than $100, you can just tap the card on the reader and go.

We are not too backwards here as you will find out on your wonderful tour to the downunder.

Bpos

This is great, thank you so much. Your guidance is excellent and sort of what I was thinking, but I didn't know the cash amount that would be the threshold (DH has used his CC for $5 purchases here ;) )

The note about a PIN is very helpful indeed. We have only just converted to chip cards (US banks are so slooooow to do anything to help anyone). Are you saying a chip card, or just any credit card, can't be used without a PIN? Not sure DH has a PIN but now I know to check.

I don't think Australia is backward at all. Banking is obviously better, and I hear the wine is excellent :D

Thank you

ML

Bpos

This is great, thank you so much. Your guidance is excellent and sort of what I was thinking, but I didn't know the cash amount that would be the threshold (DH has used his CC for $5 purchases here ;) )

The note about a PIN is very helpful indeed. We have only just converted to chip cards (US banks are so slooooow to do anything to help anyone). Are you saying a chip card, or just any credit card, can't be used without a PIN? Not sure DH has a PIN but now I know to check.

I don't think Australia is backward at all. Banking is obviously better, and I hear the wine is excellent :D

Thank you

ML

You will need a pin except for American Express which you will have to sign for.

You will be able to use your credit card without a pin but some establishments may not know how :rolleyes: - pins became mandatory in Australia a while back.

Also some places do have a minimum spend for credit cards so it is a good idea to carry some cash.

Bpos

Thank you

ML

Some places will hit you for a surcharge for using a card (I know Aldi do).

A few places will have a minimum spend, especially on credit card, also does your back charge a transaction fee on overseas transactions? If so you are better to grab some cash for the small spends.

They should take an overseas card without a PIN, but I know I have seen some staff totally confused by it all, a PIN will save you a lot of hassles.

You will be able to use your credit card without a pin but some establishments may not know how :rolleyes: - pins became mandatory in Australia a while back.

Also some places do have a minimum spend for credit cards so it is a good idea to carry some cash.

Or more to the point some staff might get very confused, I HAVE seen it.

I'm in New Zealand and all the main supermarkets take credit cards. Many of them have payWave but the transaction limit is $80 nzd. Most major stores and chains take credit cards at the least. I think they may have to be chip and pin but not 100% sure. I would get pins before you leave if you don't have them. [emoji3]

Small dairies may not. Or they may have a minimum spend. Bottle stores usually take credit cards.

I have seen very few places where the surcharges are passed on in stores but some don't take credit cards.

Failing that there's plenty of ATMs where you can withdraw cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some places will hit you for a surcharge for using a card (I know Aldi do).

A few places will have a minimum spend, especially on credit card, also does your back charge a transaction fee on overseas transactions? If so you are better to grab some cash for the small spends.

They should take an overseas card without a PIN, but I know I have seen some staff totally confused by it all, a PIN will save you a lot of hassles.

Thanks for this--exactly what I needed. Is the minimum spend about $10? I think we will usually make that but not sure. We both have to check if we even have PIN. A long story, but it basically boils down to US banks were slow to adopt chip cards and when they re-issued them, we didn't get PINs. I will work on it.

Thank you so much for the heads up on PINs.

So, Aldi and Coles will take our CC, but maybe an extra charge if we don't meet the minimum?

ML

Minimum spend with the card really depends on the establishment. Supermarkets and larger chain store do not have a minimum spend, however, smaller store may, some as high as $15. I doubt you will run across any of these stores though. Using Eftpos (in the store) to get cash may be available as well (i.e bill of $47 but pay $100 to get $53 in cash back) but remember most CC charge interest straight away for cash advances.

r the heads up on PINs.

So, Aldi and Coles will take our CC, but maybe an extra charge if we don't meet the minimum?

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here in Australia Aldi will not accept American express and charge .05 % on visa.

I have used Amex in Coles for as little as $1-50

Some smaller shops have $5 limit but by law can't charge extra.

If you use a ATM to withdraw and get a choice of currency to use

Use local currency not your own it saves double charges

Hope this helps

'We are hoping to attend an AFL match on Mar 25. Ticket prices haven't been posted, and we will work this when we get there. Will we be able to pay for tickets with a credit card? I guess general admission will work--will we have a problem buying tickets (need 4) since we have to wait until Mar 10 at the soonest?'

ML,

The AFL tickets go on sale on usually in the first week of March, so I don't think you will have any problems buying the tickets after you arrive, as the match is a couple of weeks after you arrive. when I've been to the MCG, I have had reserved seats so not sure about general admission. Perhaps someone on here who goes to Swan games can be more helpful.

I'm sure the zoo would accept credit cards to pay for tickets. If you are 65 or over you will be able to buy concession tickets. To be eligible for concession tickets note the following from the zoo website - 'For International guests we accept ID with proof of age 65years and over.'

Leigh

I'm in New Zealand and all the main supermarkets take credit cards. Many of them have payWave but the transaction limit is $80 nzd. Most major stores and chains take credit cards at the least. I think they may have to be chip and pin but not 100% sure. I would get pins before you leave if you don't have them. [emoji3]

Small dairies may not. Or they may have a minimum spend. Bottle stores usually take credit cards.

I have seen very few places where the surcharges are passed on in stores but some don't take credit cards.

Failing that there's plenty of ATMs where you can withdraw cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Love the dairies - make sure you try the Hokey Pokey icecream when in NZ - I think it is made in heaven, sure tastes like it.

Thanks for this--exactly what I needed. Is the minimum spend about $10? I think we will usually make that but not sure. We both have to check if we even have PIN. A long story, but it basically boils down to US banks were slow to adopt chip cards and when they re-issued them, we didn't get PINs. I will work on it.

Thank you so much for the heads up on PINs.

ML

Aldi charges extra for all Credit cards (I don't think it matters how much you buy). Coles does not charge extra for credit cards (mastercard, visa) and even takes amex at no extra charge. As we earn three times as much frequent flyer points with amex, I always use it in Coles.

You will need a pin except for American Express which you will have to sign for.

I use an Amex card as it is tap & go enabled (has chip and PIN), same as my Visa, but it is a bank issued Amex card which may make a difference. Some retailers charge an extra fee for using it so I revert to the Visa when that happens. No extra fees when using it for fuel and fast food purchases.

I use cards for almost everything and, as others have mentioned before, just carry a little cash for small purchases, like a newspaper, soda, icecream etc. I would rarely have more than $20 cash in my wallet.

Minimum spend with the card really depends on the establishment. Supermarkets and larger chain store do not have a minimum spend, however, smaller store may, some as high as $15. I doubt you will run across any of these stores though. Using Eftpos (in the store) to get cash may be available as well (i.e bill of $47 but pay $100 to get $53 in cash back) but remember most CC charge interest straight away for cash advances.

Mic

Thanks for this explanation, very helpful. We will make 3 trips to Coles during out time in Australia, so good to know.

ML

r the heads up on PINs.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here in Australia Aldi will not accept American express and charge .05 % on visa.

I have used Amex in Coles for as little as $1-50

Some smaller shops have $5 limit but by law can't charge extra.

If you use a ATM to withdraw and get a choice of currency to use

Use local currency not your own it saves double charges

Hope this helps

Helpful details, thanks!

'We are hoping to attend an AFL match on Mar 25. Ticket prices haven't been posted, and we will work this when we get there. Will we be able to pay for tickets with a credit card? I guess general admission will work--will we have a problem buying tickets (need 4) since we have to wait until Mar 10 at the soonest?'

ML,

The AFL tickets go on sale on usually in the first week of March, so I don't think you will have any problems buying the tickets after you arrive, as the match is a couple of weeks after you arrive. when I've been to the MCG, I have had reserved seats so not sure about general admission. Perhaps someone on here who goes to Swan games can be more helpful.

I'm sure the zoo would accept credit cards to pay for tickets. If you are 65 or over you will be able to buy concession tickets. To be eligible for concession tickets note the following from the zoo website - 'For International guests we accept ID with proof of age 65years and over.'

Leigh

Thanks Leigh, happy to hear we will be just in time! Can you tell me about how much a reserved seat goes for? Just trying to plan budget.

Sadly, we are not quite 65 yet :D but will be happy to pay the entry fee.

Thank you for your help

ML

Hi all

Thank you so much for your help, really makes a difference to know what to expect. We will have several CC with us, probably not with PINs, and we will carry some cash. And hope we find the right cashiers to help us check out :)

ML

Hi all

Thank you so much for your help, really makes a difference to know what to expect. We will have several CC with us, probably not with PINs, and we will carry some cash. And hope we find the right cashiers to help us check out :)

ML

Without a PIN you won't be able to use an ATM, cash machine.

AFL Tickets start at about $25 for general admission, more for specific grandstand seats. Ticketed charges quite a premium to book online, but you know you have your tickets. At the SCG for this game, I would just walk up and buy a ticket on the day.

Coles and Woolworths, as well as 7/11 take cc without surcharge. No minimum spend at Coles or Woolworths, and both will do cash out on debit or savings cards. PayWave generally has a $100 maximum.

Card machines still have a swipe function which read the magnetic strip. I had used a non-chip card and it spat out a receipt requiring a signature.

I always carry cash as there are lots of smaller operators have minimum spends, or do not take cc at all.

As a total aside, it was strange in Japan last year when hotels etc, pulled out the old cc machines with the carbon copy systems.