Are prepackaged foods/snacks available?

Look2Sea

Are prepackaged foods/snacks available in Windjammer and Seaview cafe?

Or are they available for purchase on the ship?

I understand that you can take prepackaged foods/snacks to the ports,

so I am wondering if I can get them on the ship, or if I should bring them with me.

And bringing "pre-packaged" snacks assumes you really "HAVE" to have some sort of "snack" while ashore... There are usually alot of places to purchase food and drink once you're off the ship. Eat a late breakfast, and have a snack when you return to the ship!

You can order a sandwich from room service and it comes with chips. They use to have chips available at times with the hotdogs and hamburgers but has been a while since I have seen that. We order room service and order a double order of chips.

And bringing "pre-packaged" snacks assumes you really "HAVE" to have some sort of "snack" while ashore... There are usually alot of places to purchase food and drink once you're off the ship. Eat a late breakfast, and have a snack when you return to the ship!

Your slightly snarky remark does not take into accounts those of us who have diabetes and usually carry a snack to combat a low that comes along sometimes without warning. Eating a late or a big breakfast does not work either as it can knock our glucose readings out of balance and cause unwanted highs and lows. Think of others before you make judgemental generalizations.

Your slightly snarky remark does not take into accounts those of us who have diabetes and usually carry a snack to combat a low that comes along sometimes without warning. Eating a late or a big breakfast does not work either as it can knock our glucose readings out of balance and cause unwanted highs and lows. Think of others before you make judgemental generalizations.

Thanks Doug, I was just going to comment on that post. My husband is diabetic, and even though he is Type 2, he still needs to take snacks with him wherever he goes.

Thanks Doug, I was just going to comment on that post. My husband is diabetic, and even though he is Type 2, he still needs to take snacks with him wherever he goes.

I also bring snacks with also, my DH is also a Type 2 Diabetic. Especially if we leave the ship, sometimes we do not make it back in time for lunch.

Let's hear it for the snackers!

I'm a vegetarian with a wacky metabolism. I pack with me soy jerky strips for my protein and some low fat granola bars. You never know when you are going to find something palatable while in port or on an excursion. After once being stuck on a broken down tour buss while on a ship excursion and totally having an "I need food meltdown," I will never be without again.

Don't spend extra money while in port or on the ship. Your local grocery store will be less expensive and you will have something you like as opposed to what is available. And when you pack to leave, you will have extra room in your suitcase for those souvenirs!

Your slightly snarky remark does not take into accounts those of us who have diabetes and usually carry a snack to combat a low that comes along sometimes without warning.

Thank you for saying that. "cb at sea" has been here a while and those of us who know this are used to her often brash posting style. I try to ignore members who are like this but sometimes, like this thread, it's remarks like hers that shouldn't go unnoticed. Obviously, this matters to the OP and to others who may be diabetic; it is of concern and they absolutely need an answer to their question. :)

Thank you for saying that. "cb at sea" has been here a while and those of us who know this are used to her often brash posting style. I try to ignore members who are like this but sometimes, like this thread, it's remarks like hers that shouldn't go unnoticed. Obviously, this matters to the OP and to others who may be diabetic; it is of concern and they absolutely need an answer to their question. :)

I agree, Langley. I almost made a comment to cb (who btw, is a woman? For some reason I assumed she was a he, haha) until I realized it was cb. I don't like to get into those kinds of conversations with super-regulars. Besides cb's ALWAYS the first one to yell at posters who want to bring bottled water onboard and I always agree with her on that point.

But I was TOTALLY like, "Who cares if someone wants to bring snacks aboard? Maybe they have a medical reason!"

Soy jerky strips - I haven't heard of them.

I will have to look for them.

I have a shore excursion, and then plan to do something else on my own, and may not have time to stop to eat.

Plus I need to be careful about what I eat.

Personally, I was not offended by cb at sea comments.

I figured the poster knew I am an inexperienced cruiser, and was trying to offer suggestions (from her point of view).

Soy jerky strips - I haven't heard of them.

I will have to look for them.

I have a shore excursion, and then plan to do something else on my own, and may not have time to stop to eat.

Plus I need to be careful about what I eat.

Personally, I was not offended by cb at sea comments.

I figured the poster knew I am an inexperienced cruiser, and was trying to offer suggestions (from her point of view).

Actually I was not offended by her post, irritated is more descriptive. Her superior tone by using the quotes was what prompted me to react and add a little reality to the thread. I usually carry a snack regardless of my location.

g rock I misread your post as that you were a Wacky Vegetarian. Ha ha :D I am intrigued by the soy jerky strips.

There are many reasons that people may want to have portable snacks available aside from the medical ones. I think many parents know that kids of a certain age can be quite fussy with what they might eat at a given time. :rolleyes:

Please remember that in most international ports that you visit, due to customs regulations you may be prohibited from bringing frest fruit or non-packaged food items ashore with you. Packaged items are typically fine (cereal boxes, granola bars, fruit roll ups). Rules vary of course, so please take that into consideration in planning your snack attacks.

Let's hear it for the snackers!

I'm a vegetarian with a wacky metabolism. I pack with me soy jerky strips for my protein and some low fat granola bars. You never know when you are going to find something palatable while in port or on an excursion. After once being stuck on a broken down tour buss while on a ship excursion and totally having an "I need food meltdown," I will never be without again.

Don't spend extra money while in port or on the ship. Your local grocery store will be less expensive and you will have something you like as opposed to what is available. And when you pack to leave, you will have extra room in your suitcase for those souvenirs!

I agree, Langley. I almost made a comment to cb (who btw, is a woman? For some reason I assumed she was a he, haha) until I realized it was cb. I don't like to get into those kinds of conversations with super-regulars. Besides cb's ALWAYS the first one to yell at posters who want to bring bottled water onboard and I always agree with her on that point.

But I was TOTALLY like, "Who cares if someone wants to bring snacks aboard? Maybe they have a medical reason!"

Why yell at anyone who wants to bring on a case of water? How do you know that it isn't for medical reasons and why does it matter anyways? We bring on a case of spring water every cruise and will continue to do so. The water threads are getting as bad as the fashion threads.

To the OP, bring prepackaged snacks from home or buy them before you board. That way you will have exactly what you need.

On the Enchantment 8/22 sailing and it's stop at Grand Cayman, we meet a family off of the ship at Royal Palms/7 Mile Beach...they brought a bunch of small sized tupperware containers with them...went to the Windjammer that morning, and filled them up with fruits, yogurt, coldcuts, cheeses, and rolls, and packed them in mid-size soft coolers, and took to them out into port...and I felt guilty taking some Corn Flakes to feed the fish at Eden Rock....

I have a shore excursion, and then plan to do something else on my own, and may not have time to stop to eat. .

That's a good thought. Sometimes the not-quite-all-day-long shore excursions work up the need for a little snack after to tide you over to getting back to the ship or to a place where you feel comfortable eating. Depending on where you are you'll find familiar food (brands and such that you'd be comfortable eating), so if you know you've got a sensitive stomach or aren't adventurous enough to leave your snacking up to what you can find in port, I think it's a great idea to get some snacky-type things you like and bring them with you so you have what you need, when you need it. I usually pack some granola bars or something else small even for when I'm sitting in the airport or waiting for transportation - not to mention the fact that packs of those little peanut butter crackers saved my little sister when she was a itty bitty picky eater... Remember to keep yourself hydrated as well as munching! Enjoy your cruise!

On the Enchantment 8/22 sailing and it's stop at Grand Cayman, we meet a family off of the ship at Royal Palms/7 Mile Beach...they brought a bunch of small sized tupperware containers with them...went to the Windjammer that morning, and filled them up with fruits, yogurt, coldcuts, cheeses, and rolls, and packed them in mid-size soft coolers, and took to them out into port...and I felt guilty taking some Corn Flakes to feed the fish at Eden Rock....

You do have to be careful about this. There are a LOT of agricultural laws and restrictions about bringing foods to various ports, and fruits are generally a real no-no! Prepackaged stuff is fine, but I'd be real wary about the fruit in particular.

I always bring zip lock sandwich bags. I then have a means to carry a few croissants with me for those low blood sugar drops. As long as you don't bring agriculture-meat cheese or fruit off the ship you're within the rules.

I'm a big ziploc bag person as well. They are good for so many things, not the least of which is packing a snack. :)

I always bring zip lock sandwich bags. I then have a means to carry a few croissants with me for those low blood sugar drops. As long as you don't bring agriculture-meat cheese or fruit off the ship you're within the rules.

I'm a big ziploc bag person as well! They are good for so many things, not the least of which is packing a snack. :)

I'm not such a snack packer anymore since my kids got older. I guess I'm rebelling from the time when I always had a random cheerio or fruit snack at the bottom of my purse.;) Now we just live off the land and pick up something to eat where ever we are. It often costs more, but that's my mommy pay back for all those times I was the human backpack.

OP, just remember to heed the warnings of Steponboard and others who pointed out that many ports do not allow fresh fruits/meats/veggies off the ships.

Please remember that in most international ports that you visit, due to customs regulations you may be prohibited from bringing frest fruit or non-packaged food items ashore with you. Packaged items are typically fine (cereal boxes, granola bars, fruit roll ups).

Err, well yes we know that - OP does too, hence this thread. :D:D:D

I would agree except in Mexico, I don't want to get you know what!

Ooo, good point. I don't do Mexico much for just that reason. I suppose I have a bit of a delicate constitution. Pitty, 'cause it's a beautiful place.

Archived