Post your Southwest Airline boarding pass results!

recyclelady

No one can tell you how many people will board before you. You are correct; first people to board are unaccompanied minors and customers with disabilities. Then they board Business Select and A-list customers. Then group A boards (60 people). Before Group B boards, families are allowed to board. Then Group B & finally Group C boards.

In addition to all of that, there could be people already seated on the plane because your flight is a connection from somewhere else.

You will have far more than 20 people in front of you.

That's what I thought. Thanks for the info. It's a short flight so it doesn't matter all that much I was just curious.

Oh. I thought Business Class boarded first and then all A boarders. We are B20. Now you have me really confused.

Sorry, I overlooked the "B" part.

However, business class gets an "A" ticket, so it is not A tickets plus business class. It is just "A" tickets plus 20 people in business class plus any pre-boarders.

Last time I flew Southwest I had a business class ticket and ended up with A1 in both directions.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry, I overlooked the "B" part.

However, business class gets an "A" ticket, so it is not A tickets plus business class. It is just "A" tickets plus 20 people in business class plus any pre-boarders.

Last time I flew Southwest I had a business class ticket and ended up with A1 in both directions.

The above poster was referring to "A-List" passengers who get to board before those with A boarding passes. They are Southwest's frequent flyers.

Can't believe I just sat here (at work) reading all 12 pages of posting. Very informative. Here's my questions. Husband, wife with 2 kids currently age 4+6. The last few years prior to cruise, I've gone online 24 hrs prior and got A between 25-35. On the return, we didn't do EB and just got our boarding passes when we got to FLL a/p. Usually late As.

Here's my question. I know that families with children can board after A but before B. Last resort we will do that if we get a really low B on the return. Outbound I have no worries, I can sit at my computer 24 hrs prior but on the return we'll be on the ship. If we intent to repeat what we did the last few years and don't get our boarding pass until we get to the FLL a/p then can we still board as family (after A and before B) if our oldest child is 6?

All we need is 2 seats together. Mom + child. Dad + child. Don't care where. We don't need all 4 of us together, just one parent with one child. If there are no two seats together, you think we can ask the flt attendant to get someone to switch? There is no way I'm letting my 4 or 6 year sit alone. I don't think that will happen. I'm sure we can get a seat switch if needed. Plus who in their right minds want to sit next to a 4 or 6 year old w/o their parent on a 3 hr flt? I wouldn't. I would give up my seat in a heartbeat for a parent to sit with their child and have in the past when I was single.

We don't intend to pay for EB on the way back.

Thoughts? Thanks.

To clarify there are a total of 60 numbers in the A boarding group. 60 spots in the B boarding group. A1-15 are for Business Select, A16-25'ish are for A-Listers. It is possible to get a number in these lower groups, but that is how they are typically reserved. So again, it's not 60 A's + A-List and/or Business Select.

I know that families with children can board after A but before B. Last resort we will do that if we get a really low B on the return. Outbound I have no worries, I can sit at my computer 24 hrs prior but on the return we'll be on the ship. If we intent to repeat what we did the last few years and don't get our boarding pass until we get to the FLL a/p then can we still board as family (after A and before B) if our oldest child is 6?

Yes, you can board then - so don't be late to the gate! Boarding typically starts 25 mins before departure time.

If there are no two seats together, you think we can ask the flt attendant to get someone to switch?

You should be able to find two seats together at family boarding, most likely in the back. If not sometimes if you let the FA that's at the door know - they will call to the back and have the FA in the back check for you.

The biggest variable will be wether or not it's a "through" flight and there are already passengers on board. Assuming an empty plane, boarding at family boarding and through the mid-B's should get you two seats together.

:)

Safe travels

• 3 weeks later...

This one has been quiet for a whle, so.

BWI to BDL : I wasn't near a computer so checked in about 8 hours past opening for check-in and got B29, no big deal. For a flight of just under 1 hour I could sit anywhere on the plane, I will just plop down in first available seat.

• 3 months later...

For our Oct 15th flight RDU-MCO checked in online exactly 24 hours ahead - B25 & 27 (wonder how someone else got B26 when I was checking us in together)

For our return on Oct 23rd since we would be at sea 24 hours ahead, we did early bird. Got A24 and A25. Since there were apparently no Biz customers we were really the 10 and 11th person aboard.

It appears to me that paying the $10 is worth it if you need a particular seat...at 6'-7", I love the legroom I can get by snagging the window seat behind the exit row, I can stretch alllll the way out.

For our Oct 15th flight RDU-MCO checked in online exactly 24 hours ahead - B25 & 27 (wonder how someone else got B26 when I was checking us in together)

Though one data point is hardly conclusive, it might be that more and more people are opting for early bird check in, at least on some flights, thus the relatively low boarding number.

Have been on several SWA flights in the last 3 months. Over the last 2 years have been on about 25 flights. I have noticed that the number you can get at even 24 hours are often late A on popular flights. I believe that early bird has something to do but there are also APPS for that! If it is programmed into your phone to call at exact time maybe do not need EB. For me with a phone that only makes a call when I punch in the numbers I will often use the EB feature and just suck up the $10.

On our last two cruises (March and Oct 2010) was really glad to have the EB as the internet cafe on Crown and Coral both were absolutely packed with mostly first time (read they could not get logged in and could not get passes to print). It was a total zoo as not only SWA was trying to check-in. Worth $10 to just skip the hazzle IMHO. Also some hotels (I stay at one luxery brand because DS works for them and I get super cheap rooms) do not have free internet and so by the time you pay for internet access could pay the small fee for SWA EB.

Has SWA made any policy on seat saving "chair hogs"? Early posts said they had no policy but that was over a year ago. I would be a little ticked off if I paid $ for EB for each of us and someone tried to do a 4-5 seats for the one fee. As usual you pay your money and youse takes your chanches. EB works for me and I don't have to watch the clock. Still cheaper than paying baggage fees on other lines. :D

Really consider EB if coming in to FFL when several of the huge ships are changing over. Can see what ships are in port and if there are 15K passengers using the airport that day YOU WILL WANT EB.

Can you buy the early bird for just one way of your flight? Waiting for SW to open for a cruise late March. I was wondering since on a cruise it would be worth it to pay the 10.00 for ticket home if you don't use the internet onboard!!

Yes

DON

Has SWA made any policy on seat saving "chair hogs"? Early posts said they had no policy but that was over a year ago. I would be a little ticked off if I paid $ for EB for each of us and someone tried to do a 4-5 seats for the one fee.

No, they still allow people to save seats and this is a big complaint on many boards.

When I encounter someone saving a seat I desire, I thank them for saving it for me and sit down.

I have had people lie and say their wife/whatever was in the restroom and point to the back. I say fine and still sit down. I inform them that if wife/whatever returns from the back of the plane I will graciously move, but the odds of that happening are slim and none. There aren't that many bathrooms on the plane and it is easy enough to see if the occupied indicator is lit.

But I rarely encounter anyone saving seats these days.

I know that families with children can board after A but before B. Last resort we will do that if we get a really low B on the return. Outbound I have no worries, I can sit at my computer 24 hrs prior but on the return we'll be on the ship. If we intent to repeat what we did the last few years and don't get our boarding pass until we get to the FLL a/p then can we still board as family (after A and before B) if our oldest child is 6?

On my last Southwest flight (which I admit hasn't been since early last spring) only families with children under 2 years of age got any special treatment on boarding. 2 and over were treated the same as all other passengers. If it's important to have 2 seats together, you might want to consider the EB feature.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I flew from Chicago to Phoenix on business this past Sunday. Called in at the 24 hour mark and got A53. The flight was packed.

I'm sitting in my hotel in Phoenix right now. I'm scheduled to fly tomorrow morning back to Chicago. Chicago is under feet of snow and all flights were cancelled today.

I actually purchased EB for my return flight because I knew I wouldn't be able to check in any time close to the 24 hour mark today. I have no idea if flights will even be going out tomorrow or what happens to my EB if the flight is cancelled. :confused:

Last year we returned to Tampa during the multiple blizzard weekend. We had EB for our flights that were cancelled. I was impressed because they found us another flight--and then when a new storm was due to hit they changed us again to get us to Philly earlier (we were one of the last flights in before the new storm hit) I was even more impressed when they refunded the EB fee back to our credit card.

Anyway--on Monday Jan 31--Orlando to Philly EB A41 (the highest I've ever had) online check-in about an hour after check-in opened B23.

When I encounter someone saving a seat I desire, I thank them for saving it for me and sit down.

I have had people lie and say their wife/whatever was in the restroom and point to the back. I say fine and still sit down. I inform them that if wife/whatever returns from the back of the plane I will graciously move, but the odds of that happening are slim and none. There aren't that many bathrooms on the plane and it is easy enough to see if the occupied indicator is lit.

But I rarely encounter anyone saving seats these days.

On my last flight on Southwest we did pay for EB boarding we were one of the first to board. When I got to the emergency row where we wanted to sit a guy was standing there. I told him we would like to sit down he said oh I'm saving these seats for my friends. I said well I paid for EB boarding they should have too. A flight attendant was standing right there and told the guy you can not save emergency row seats. He got a little miffed and moved on. It made a big difference to us since we were flying for the next 5 hours and my husband is 6'3.

On my last flight on Southwest we did pay for EB boarding we were one of the first to board. When I got to the emergency row where we wanted to sit a guy was standing there. I told him we would like to sit down he said oh I'm saving these seats for my friends. I said well I paid for EB boarding they should have too. A flight attendant was standing right there and told the guy you can not save emergency row seats. He got a little miffed and moved on. It made a big difference to us since we were flying for the next 5 hours and my husband is 6'3.

Good for you and good for the flight attendant :D

Glad to hear this. I've seen a fair amount of seat saving on SW and it is really annoying!

So is it worth the extra $$ if you really dont care where you sit?

There is one more thing to keep in mind if you prefer to carry on your luggage which many people seem to like to do. The overhead compartments do get full pretty quick even though you don't have to pay to check your luggage. I think some people don't want to wait for their luggage or are afraid it will be lost. If non of that pertains to you than it probably is not worth the extra $$ in my opinion.

There is one more thing to keep in mind if you prefer to carry on your luggage which many people seem to like to do. The overhead compartments do get full pretty quick even though you don't have to pay to check your luggage. I think some people don't want to wait for their luggage or are afraid it will be lost. If non of that pertains to you than it probably is not worth the extra $$ in my opinion.

Thank you. No carryon, 1 bag, direct flights. I think we are good. :D

If you're a couple and you get the aisle

and the window and someone comes toward you, does one of you scoot over so you can sit together?

I have a long flight coming up on Southwest, and I won't sit in the middle. DH always likes the window so we can't do two aisles. I know it'll be awkward to have someone between us, but I'm not gonna move (if I get an aisle that is). DH is like Don't you want to sit next to me? :eek:

Archived