Why do we eat with strangers on cruises but nowhere else?

Thats not a very fair statement. You go to any open sitting forum, if you want the best spot you get there first.

I can see the manners you teach your kids. Congrats on raising the next generation of "me first" people!

How true! It amazes me when I see parents that think their "little babies" can/will do no harm and are loved by all.... LOL The ONLY child/children that gets that is your OWN... No one else thinks they are "darlings"... more like horrors!

I have always disliked sitting with strangers, one time we were on a cruise with a family with young children, and they would race us every day to sit by the window. Not once in a 7 nite cruise did they ever let us sit by the window for a meal- great values to teach your child!

Is this something new? On all our cruises with traditional dining (9 so far) we sat at the same spot for the entire cruise. If we were luckly to be seated by the window, so be it. I have never switched or change seating location after the first night or thought I had the option. At a large table our kids were always seated between mom and dad (buffer). I have switched seat with DH but never another passenger. On RCCL traditional dining, do you mix it up each night?

Is this something new? On all our cruises with traditional dining (9 so far) we sat at the same spot for the entire cruise. If we were luckly to be seated by the window, so be it. I have never switched or change seating location after the first night or thought I had the option. At a large table our kids were always seated between mom and dad (buffer). I have switched seat with DH but never another passenger.

We usually move around. :D On our last cruise we had a round table of 6 (strangers) and we rotated around the seating every night, so everyone would have a different view. It's fun! A lot more fun than sitting in the same place every night. Maybe suggest it next time if the opportunity presents itself. :D:):D

Responding to the original post... I apologize if this has been hashed to death already:

Part of the reason I enjoy sitting with strangers specifically for a cruise is that there's always much more to do on the ship and in each port than I possibly can fit in. I really have fun with hearing our tablemates' stories about alternate ways we could have spent each day over dinner. Almost without exception, the "strangers" at the table will have done something radically different from what we picked, whereas when we cruise with friends, they usually pick either the same excursions or plans as we did or something very similar.

Which isn't to say I don't like sitting with our friends or family too, but unknown tablemates on a cruise bring that special kind of fun that isn't relevant to most other dining situations to me.

We usually move around. :D On our last cruise we had a round table of 6 (strangers) and we rotated around the seating every night, so everyone would have a different view. It's fun! A lot more fun than sitting in the same place every night. Maybe suggest it next time if the opportunity presents itself. :D:):D

Thank you. Poor parents and kids sometimes get knocked for doing what they think is right. Maybe all this time others were thinking ill of us, taking the same seat and not giving them a chance to be next to our precious 'angels':D:)

Not read this full thread --just the title topic.........

I was subjected on one cruise to be seated with strangers .. never again --I have also never been subjected to this in any land based holiday . (be it all inclusive or 5 star)

I expect to eat when I want with the company I am with.

I can do mix/mingle/converse in the bar or around the pool at MY choice and lesuire/ Not at someones elses. :(

I can only liken this type of dining to meeting a total pair of strangers in a bar --having a 10 min conversation -then saying lets go eat together .......

No I dont think soo .........

People should remember that, just as there are parts of Canada that use French, there are many areas in the US which use Spanish. NM, TX, NV, and FL are the main ones that come to mind...and actually there are parts of FL where Spanish is the preferred language.

It may appear that Spanish is the preferred language in parts of Florida, however the official language, by law, in Florida is English. The fact that certain groups of people living here do not want to learn or speak English is a personal issue.

I am jealous of those that can speak several languages, however here the official language is English so I'm not inclined to learn Spanish. If I lived in Mexico, I'd learn Spanish.

"Thats not a very fair statement. You go to any open sitting forum, if you want the best spot you get there first."

I can see the manners you teach your kids. Congrats on raising the next generation of "me first" people!

Glad to see I am not the only one who had that thought. How about this statement, "Hey, kids, let's let Mr. & Mrs. Tablemate have a turn to sit by the window tonight."

I always thought that sharing was one of the first concepts children are taught or should be!

Sharing, consideration for others, and that running in a restaurant is never acceptable.

It seems the "parents" that do not realize this were once kids that had no "boundaries" either from liberal/divorced/uncaring/etc parents and grew up thinking it's the way to act.

Children are not your "best friends" when growing up... they want and need parents to show them the way.

It seems the "parents" that do not realize this were once kids that had no "boundaries" either from liberal/divorced/uncaring/etc parents and grew up thinking it's the way to act.

Children are not your "best friends" when growing up... they want and need parents to show them the way.

Who raised these parents who are not parenting these kids?

Where did the failure start, surely not with the kids, but their parents and heaven forbid the generation that is now screaming the loudest.

They are shamefully witnessing their handy work/failure, generations later. Pointing fingers always end up leading back to the generation of pointers, or just pointing fingers period.. I am far from impress with some in the generations of the past and wouldn't trade this one for nothing. Like cruising with all the changes it's a better product. I am bais, this is the generation that elected a black President....not bad in my book :-)

Ships are small - and the space for dining tables is small too. Even if you get the table for two, you are very near your neighbors. Ships and trains have to put people closer that many people would like - but it is the nature of the beast

Where did the failure start, surely not with the kids, but their parents and heaven forbid the generation that is now screaming the loudest.

They are shamefully witnessing their handy work/failure, generations later. Pointing fingers always end up leading back to the generation of pointers, or just pointing fingers period.. I am far from impress with some in the generations of the past and wouldn't trade this one for nothing. Like cruising with all the changes it's a better product. I am bais, this is the generation that elected a black President....not bad in my book :-)

Um, I'm sorry, What Generation are we talking about? Anyone over the age of 18 could vote. Assuming most that cast votes are under 100 years of age, that's a lot of generations. Which one exactly did the electing???

I'm pleased with the progress that has been made and long for the day when we're done with "the first black man..." and "the first woman..." and on and on.

"Thats not a very fair statement. You go to any open sitting forum, if you want the best spot you get there first."

Oh calm down. I usually see people sitting in the same seats every night, window or not. Maybe the family wasn't racing to get their seats, they just wanted to be on time and were hungry from a full day.

Oh calm down. I usually see people sitting in the same seats every night, window or not. Maybe the family wasn't racing to get their seats, they just wanted to be on time and were hungry from a full day.

Thank you. I have never changed seat with a fellow passenger.

Retiree - I am pleased with the current generation. Yes, the one with less than perfect kids.

I am please with the overall progress of society and cruising, even when there are things I don't like

Um, I'm sorry, What Generation are we talking about? Anyone over the age of 18 could vote. Assuming most that cast votes are under 100 years of age, that's a lot of generations. Which one exactly did the electing???

I'm pleased with the progress that has been made and long for the day when we're done with "the first black man..." and "the first woman..." and on and on.

That's exactly right! ALL generations (still alive - except in Chicago where you can still vote when dead) voted for a black President... It was across the board in ages.

Parents are RESPONSIBLE for what their kids do... and manners/respect has been in decline for many years now.

It may appear that Spanish is the preferred language in parts of Florida, however the official language, by law, in Florida is English. The fact that certain groups of people living here do not want to learn or speak English is a personal issue.

I am jealous of those that can speak several languages, however here the official language is English so I'm not inclined to learn Spanish. If I lived in Mexico, I'd learn Spanish.

I realize that English is the official language which is why I used the word prefered. My point was that while English is the official language of the country, Spanish is also used a lot in certain areas. Not to mention that there are many times where you have the option to choose which language (customer service numbers, signs, directions, etc).

The same holds true in Business...English may be the most used language; however, it is a huge plus if you know Spanish.

With that said, I don't think (my opinion only) that Americans can use language as an excuse for not trying to talk with those who speak Spanish.

I am not trying to say other languages are less important, just that in the States its more likely to hear Spanish and English than it is to hear German (as an example); therefore it may be easier to understand.

There are words in Spanish and English that are similar to others, and names are basically the same in all languages, so while it may take a little more thought and concentration it really isn't impossible to speak to those who speak Spanish. The conversation will most likely end in Spanglish but it may also be a more interesting conversation than one you may have in English.

Unfortunately, while I don't agree, I can understand ( a little more) why Americans may be reluctant with other languages.

Thank you. I have never changed seat with a fellow passenger.

Retiree - I am pleased with the current generation. Yes, the one with less than perfect kids.

I am please with the overall progress of society and cruising, even when there are things I don't like

We have been on approx. 16 cruises and on probably half of them we have rotated around the table to different seats whether it be fior the view or just to be able talk with everyone at the table without having to talk over someone else. We are usually at tables of at least 8 or 10. We have switched around at a table for 6, but maybe not quite as often. For the record, we are usually not the ones to initiate the seat changing. So it is not so uncommon a practice in the dining room in our experience.

The same holds true in Business...English may be the most used language; however, it is a huge plus if you know Spanish.
or any other language, but, English is the official language of International Business.

There are words in Spanish and English that are similar to others, and names are basically the same in all languages
not true. some cultures have surname first, given name last.

We have been on approx. 16 cruises and on probably half of them we have rotated around the table to different seats whether it be fior the view or just to be able talk with everyone at the table without having to talk over someone else. We are usually at tables of at least 8 or 10. We have switched around at a table for 6, but maybe not quite as often. For the record, we are usually not the ones to initiate the seat changing. So it is not so uncommon a practice in the dining room in our experience.

On the one cruise where we shared a table, we sat in the same seats each night. Switching seats was never a thought.

But this isn't unique to eating on a cruise. I know in my classes, people sit in the same seats every time, even if there's no seating chart. People just do this as habit. It's not necessarily rude to not switch seats.

When I went to school, I always sat in the same spot in every classroom. I park in the same spot at work every day.

We are creatures of habit and need our space.

Every cruise we've been on with mixed seating, everyone always sat in the same spot. The worst is a rectangular table for 6. Typically two couples are side by side, one is across. I don't know of any couple that would want to sit in the middle across from each other whereby having two strangers on both sides.

At a 6 top, the first couple there is going to set the arrangement. On one cruise with a 6 top, one couple would race to get there first so they could sit side by side. If the other two couples got there fist and left the open seats across, the couple would get mad, not sit down and would leave. The only time my DW and I would switch with each other would be to have the two women sit side by side instead of boy-girl-boy-girl.

As for a table for two near a window, at second seating it is either dark out or the drapes are drawn. We'll take a 2 top anywhere except outside the kitchen doors.

Every cruise we've been on with mixed seating, everyone always sat in the same spot. The worst is a rectangular table for 6. Typically two couples are side by side, one is across. I don't know of any couple that would want to sit in the middle across from each other whereby having two strangers on both sides.

That's actually the only time I remember switching seats was a rectangle for 8 :(

Archived