Opinions from those living in cold climates

elycelynne

I obviously don't want to bring my winter coat to the Southern Caribbean, but at the same time I also don't want to freeze my a$$ off when I come back and have to wait outside in a long line for a cab. I was thinking of wearing a fleece jacket and hoping for the best when I come back (i.e., no deep freezes). Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can prepare myself for the return to cold weather? I'm traveling solo, so there isn't a DH or DB whose suitcase I can use to stash a winter coat.

I live in the Canadian Rockies, so I know "cold". I'm taking a down-fill which squishes down to nearly nothing. I don't care if I won't use it for any of the cruise :) I detest freezing my b*tt off, so it'll be nice to have when we get back to the winter weather.

I bring a Pashmina. Useful during the cruise on some evenings in air conditionned restaurants etc and great to wrap yourself in waiting for the cab in the cold. Also wear running shoes with socks ( not sandals) and gloves ( most heat lost from head ,hands and feet). I'm from Canada.

I wear a treasure of a long jacket....thermal fleeze that is lightweight but warm and windproofed. I can fold it flat and stick it under the luggage strap on my suitcase when my luggage comes down the carousel. so don't have to carry it. (I always put luggage straps around all our suitcases. Adds security and ease in identifying at airport.)

Stick a pair of gloves and a silk scarf in the pockets and you'll be fine. (For gloves, I bought a pair of synthetic knit that are thin but really warm on. I didn't want to add bulk to the pockets but wanted to store them there.)

You can come home to freezing weather and have to be prepared.

If space is an issue, you may consider looking into getting some space bags. (Those vaccum seal travel bags that will flatten the air out of your clothing.) I like to use them, especially when packing a lot of bulky winter clothing. The travel kind can be rolled to remove the air, so you don't need a vacuum cleaner. They're pretty cheap-I think I got like 20 bags for $10 or so.

If space is an issue, you may consider looking into getting some space bags. (Those vaccum seal travel bags that will flatten the air out of your clothing.) I like to use them, especially when packing a lot of bulky winter clothing. The travel kind can be rolled to remove the air, so you don't need a vacuum cleaner. They're pretty cheap-I think I got like 20 bags for $10 or so.

Space Bags, the only way to travel! We've used the travel ones for a long time now. I was able to pack two bulky coats in the front expandable pocket of our carryon bags using those.

If you're like me, you save all year for your cruise, so you end up parking in some remote parking area at the airport. BRRRRR...

If you have a Thinsulate type of coat that will squeeze down and stuff into the outside pocket of your largest suit case, that works. Have done that before. The last few years, my winter coat has been a wool pea coat which doesn't squish! I've just done the layering thing people discuss. On the very top of my carry-on bag, I put a pair of shorts that match the tank top I'm wearing as a bottom layer. As soon as I reach the airport in Florida or San Juan, I duck into a restroom and switch into my summer gear!!! Ahh...

Good luck! I always travel in the bitter cold (New England). The only way I survive the winter here is to keep counting down the weeks until my Caribbean Cruise!!!

We are from Ohio and wearing winter coats to get to the airport. We hate cold!!!!!

In Miami I took extra bag /very light one but big enough for the two winter jackets/ out of my carry on front pocket and put jackets inside. We travel with carry ons only most of the time. So we have a extra bag for the ship. No problem. This exta bag is size of weender bag.

Very convinient for us.

I do this as well. Space bags are great. You can get the rolled kind and if you have the vacuum kind your room attendant will be happy to remove the air w/their vac..they are great folks...

We have the bags at the dollar tree stores here in RI. We pack all our clothes in them too. We pack mix/match outfits w/the unders/socks/even the jewelry (costume) in them. Each pack contains clothes mix/match for 2 days. We just pull out a pack every 2 days. Saves a ton of space in the luggage and keeps us organized.

Keep warm!

I live in the Canadian Rockies, so I know "cold". I'm taking a down-fill which squishes down to nearly nothing. I don't care if I won't use it for any of the cruise :) I detest freezing my b*tt off, so it'll be nice to have when we get back to the winter weather.

Ditto on squishing the lightweight down while on the cruise, ditto on detesting the freezing of parts.

If you do not have a down jacket, if there is a Burlington Coat Factory near you, check them out for huge selection and great prices. I have an ankle length + hood machine-washable down coat that cost me just over $100. That kind of thing would typically be more like $400.

Layers would be the alternative, but, only you know how many layers you are going to need!!

Like Krazy Kruizers we have a LONG drive home. And like Printingchick, we need a shuttle to get to our vehicle. My father used to INSIST that I was dressed for the weather in winter, regardless of how short a trip I was taking. He'd often say "You never know when a car will break down, or you will get stuck". And I cannot imagine walking even a few short blocks at night to a gas station (in a town or city) or miles possibly (on the highway) with only a fleece jacket/sweater/shawl combo. Or trying to get unstuck wearing loafers and socks!

Winter sucks, but it sucks marginally less when you are dressed for it :)

Layering is the way to go - I always have a thin, windproof rain jacket with me- winter or summer. That, over a sweater (even a thin one), over a shirt, over a tee shirt - silk or cotton - will trap enough layers of air to keep you warm for a couple of hours in virtually any weather. Fleece and/or down takes up too much room - for things you wont need at all on a cruise, while the rain jacket is always a good idea. Add a decent pair of gloves and you will be fine.

Like Krazy Kruizers we have a LONG drive home. And like Printingchick, we need a shuttle to get to our vehicle. My father used to INSIST that I was dressed for the weather in winter, regardless of how short a trip I was taking. He'd often say "You never know when a car will break down, or you will get stuck". And I cannot imagine walking even a few short blocks at night to a gas station (in a town or city) or miles possibly (on the highway) with only a fleece jacket/sweater/shawl combo. Or trying to get unstuck wearing loafers and socks!

Winter sucks, but it sucks marginally less when you are dressed for it :)

That's why we hire a car and driver. ;)

There are occasion as Boston's Logan when the Livery vehicles must stay in a 'holding pen' until their customers are out of baggage claim and standing curbside. We may have to stand there 10 or so minutes waiting.

Driver worries about whatever if his vehicle gets stuck. We're traveling on urban streets with loads of traffic....... not out in the wilderness somewhere. Enough assistance available. :)

Space bags are great but remember when packing with them that more things fit in your suitcase and that makes it weigh more. Less costly to take an extra suitcase than to pay for an overweight one.

We too, just make a run for it. I will have a layer or two plus a pashmina and will wear socks. Ottawa is one of the worlds coldest capitals (I think we are #2!) but the cabs are warm.

My mother used to say "Your pride will keep you warm". Maybe not pride, but a wish to not even look at outerwear will keep us going!

I bring a Pashmina. Useful during the cruise on some evenings in air conditionned restaurants etc and great to wrap yourself in waiting for the cab in the cold. Also wear running shoes with socks ( not sandals) and gloves ( most heat lost from head ,hands and feet). I'm from Canada.

I like the Pashima idea. I have something similar- a fleece cape, which covers a multitude of sins (weight wise!), and does duty as an extra pillow on the balcony, or worn on a breezy evening.- jocap.

I think I'll pack a slightly heavier top and the fleece jacket isn't extremely heavy so it shouldn't take up too much more room and hopefully I'll remember to pack my gloves. Maybe I'll be lucky and it will be in the 40's when I get back!

To those who suggested hiring a car and driver -- no problem! You paying? ;)

I note that you mention standing in line for a cab. At O`Hare if you walk out of baggage claim and request a cab from the starter you will pay a much higher rate than if you call a cab company and they pick you up. 303TAXI and All Star taxi will pick you up promptly. My sister took a cab from the starter to Schaumburg and the charge was $85.00. All Star rate is $29.00. The phone numbers for these companies are located in baggage claim at the Hotel/Transportation kiosks. Google search also.

Rich

Archived