Prices on European Cruises

lovevacadays

As others have said, cruising in Europe is a lot more expensive for several reasons. One is simply supply and demand. Princess, and other cruiselines, are tapping into a very active market of Europeans who want to cruise, thus demand is high. I've been on at least one European cruise where Americans represented only 12% of the total number of passengers. Another reason is that compared to the US$, Europe is VERY expensive. Everything from a sandwich to a 4-course meal will be a heck of a lot more than what you would pay at home, mostly because the Euro is stronger than the $ these days.

While expensive, cruising is still a relatively inexpensive way to travel in Europe unless you do hostels, mostly because your transportation within Europe is paid for in US$ and your meals as well.

I agree with the comments about transatlantic. Booked in advance (at least in my experience) this trip was maybe 1.5 times the Caribbean price I have paid which I thought was very fair. We were on a bit of a budget which wasn't ideal, so we mainly DIYed each port with some shopping, light sightseeing (read, free museums etc) and the like. We had a fantastic time, we'll be doing it again, hopefully not at 3 times the cost of our Caribbean trips.

550 Euro each time we did a private shore tour....family of 6

Rates I have for my larger roll call groups are a bit less.

Athens (16 people) - 640 euros + 220 euros optional professional guide

Pompeii/Amalfi Coast (15 people) - 1000 euros, includes guide

Florence (8 people) - 540 euros

Ephesus (4 people) - $75 (USD per person) includes terrace houses

Istanbul (4 people) - $85 (USD Per person) includes all highlights and one extra stop included that we included.

We are going to "do it yourself" in Venice (embarcation), Barcelona (debarcation), Mykonos (beach), Monaco (train to Nice), and Rome (?). But we are looking at $1,500 per person in excursions per person once we include tips, lunch, etc. and that's 50% as much as we're paying to Princess. I just look at it as a major event in my life and the once chance I get to see all of these great places. But it quickly turns a $6000 cruise into a $10K+ cruise after adding in air and excursions. I just can't think of a better way to do all of this.

wow, thanks so much for all the replies. Great information. I really want to do a European cruise in 2011 so have a better idea of what things cost and times to go. I'm not on a strict budget but was just surprised at some of the ones I checked that were so high. I have cruised Princess my last 7 cruises and cruising them my next two. I guess I will check other lines as well. I've cruised HAL, RCCL, and Carnival in the past. Although after I complete my two cruises in 2010 I'm only two cruises away from Elite (I've cruised alone in cabins a few times so get two credits) so that makes it tough to think about cruising another line. ( I really want those priority tender tickets)

wow, thanks so much for all the replies. Great information. I really want to do a European cruise in 2011 so have a better idea of what things cost and times to go. I'm not on a strict budget but was just surprised at some of the ones I checked that were so high. I have cruised Princess my last 7 cruises and cruising them my next two. I guess I will check other lines as well. I've cruised HAL, RCCL, and Carnival in the past. Although after I complete my two cruises in 2010 I'm only two cruises away from Elite (I've cruised alone in cabins a few times so get two credits) so that makes it tough to think about cruising another line. ( I really want those priority tender tickets)

It is tough to go with another line when you are throwing away the Elite benes.

In all seriousness, if you only have a week, I'd suggest a cruise is not the optimal way to go. Considering you have to fly in at least a day early and sometimes cannot fly out the same day on the back end either, depending on timing.

You might be better off spending that week just seeing a couple of cities that are fairly close -- say, London and Paris, or maybe Rome and Venice.

That's good advice. We did that our first time to Europe - just did a land portion to London & Paris. Now, we're going back for a one week cruise and a 3-4 day pre-cruise stay in Rome.

If you can manage it, take a few days off before or after your cruise. I'm with the OP - DH can't take off a lot of time at once and I'm not willing to wait until retirement either.

Watch prices this summer. I'm expecting the Europe prices to go down around May for the summer cruises. They are really high right now and some are bound to go down.

You might want to check prices at the END of the season, say in late October. The weather in the Med. is much cooler, and the crowds are gone. We took a super Greek Island cruise and spent a few extra days in Rome. Those two days in Rome cost about half again as much as the cruise! This cruise is very port intensive, so we didn't mind an inside cabin (ugh!) too much. At least we went on our dream trip. I had dreamed about ancient Greece since childhood.

Watch prices this summer. I'm expecting the Europe prices to go down around May for the summer cruises. They are really high right now and some are bound to go down.

We've seen a small price drop for our June cruise. I'm hoping for better -- would love to upgrade to a balcony cabin.

We've seen a small price drop for our June cruise. I'm hoping for better -- would love to upgrade to a balcony cabin.

We're in a balcony and the price is more than double what it is in the Caribbean. The ship only has a few cabins sold, so I'm also hoping the price comes down at least $500-$1000 total. I'll keep my fingers crossed for yours too. ;)

Hi,

As you will see below, we are going on the Crown in May. I booked this cruise back in August when for a brief period the price was low, and after I booked it, it went down again (and I got the lower price). Shortly after I booked the price went up and has stayed about where it is now. I am mentioning this because it is all about timing and the cooperation of a great TA.

We always book a balcony for our Caribbean, or warm weather cruises because there is usually time to enjoy the balcony, but as others have said Europe cruises are port intensive and the time spent on board ship is little. We prefer to be out soaking up the scenery and sights! On our spring cruise we booked a guarantee obstructed outside...I do like to know when it is daytime (but actually the inside price was only a small amount lower than the obstructed outside). We'd rather spend the money on private or Princess tours.

Don't forget to do a future booking while you are on board...OBC's are helpful!

Happy sailing

We are planning a Europe cruise in 2011 as well and it does look more expensive than the Caribbean. We noticed that Costa has some great prices for this year and I would expect that they will do the same next year. We've sailed with Costa twice now and would definately do it again. Don't get caught with an expensive itinerary just to get an elite status. The trip is about the experience and choosing a different cruise line may help make the trip even more satisfying because you know you have received good value.

Just like poster FLROSE above, we booked our Greek Isles/Med cruise back in August when they were offering for a brief period a "two for One" for alot of Europe sailings-we literally picked up the phone to book as soon as I read the e-mail. Prices now for the same sailing are about twice what we reserved. Make sure you are subscribed to Princess e-mail fares-go onto princess.com to subscribe. And good luck!

[quote name='gardening_guy']We are planning a Europe cruise in 2011 as well and it does look more expensive than the Caribbean. We noticed that Costa has some great prices for this year and I would expect that they will do the same next year. We've sailed with Costa twice now and would definately do it again. Don't get caught with an expensive itinerary just to get an elite status. The trip is about the experience and choosing a different cruise line may help make the trip even more satisfying because you know you have received good value.[/quote]

We enjoy Princess very much. My children don't even want to try any of the other lines. After our next cruise this May we will be Platinum Members. We always get great deals when we book Caribbean cruises and along with the FCC it keeps us coming back. That being said, I am starting to get tired of doing the same old thing. This will be the fourth sailing on the Caribbean Princess. I would like to do a week in Bermuda or as mentioned before a week in Europe. I am finding that Princess is not meeting my itinerary needs. It may be time to try another line.:(

[quote name='Iamcruzin']I am starting to get tired of doing the same old thing. This will be the fourth sailing on the Caribbean Princess. I would like to do a week in Bermuda or as mentioned before a week in Europe. I am finding that Princess is not meeting my itinerary needs. It may be time to try another line.[/quote]

For about the cost of flying to Florida to do the Caribbean, you can fly to the west coast and then do Mexican Riviera, Alaska, or Hawaii round trip on Princess.

[quote name='caribill']For about the cost of flying to Florida to do the Caribbean, you can fly to the west coast and then do Mexican Riviera, Alaska, or Hawaii round trip on Princess.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions. I did check out Hawaii but the only itinerary out of LA is 14 days. I can't get that much time off from work at once. I am looking at retirement before I can do that itinerary on Princess. By that time I will probably be living in DeL Boca Vista Phase 25 so the airfare to Florida will not be an issue for Caribbean cruises. I have no desire to go to the Mexican Riviera and I am not ready to watch ice melt. The few times it snows here is enough for me. Alaska is out until I retire in Florida and get tired of warm weather and palm trees if that's even possible.

[quote name='cruznliz']Worth repeating: July and August are very HOT and crowded in the ports. Consider a transatlantic in April/May or September-November. They are frequently bargains and often include many of the ports you are looking for. ;)

Booking an inside cabin is a very good idea. (Bring an alarm clock!) Many people who go to the Mediterranean think they are going on a Caribbean cruise. Trust me, you won't be snorkeling or going to a beach to lie around. People go to Europe to SEE things and soak up some history! :eek:

Have a great time planning. :D It's a wonderful way to see history.[/quote]

When staying in an inside cabin, an alarm clock is great, but another thing to wake yourself up with is to keep the tv on. Well, what I mean is to keep the tv on the bridge-camera station (but turn off the sound). The tv is just as good as having a porthole type of window. Unless you have a balcony, what's the difference if you have a real window or a virtual window? With the tv on, it will be dark in your inside stateroom during the night, but lighter when the camera picks up the sunshine. It's a much cheaper "fake" window. And, it works for me.:cool:

[quote name='tinaweha']When staying in an inside cabin, an alarm clock is great, but another thing to wake yourself up with is to keep the tv on. Well, what I mean is to keep the tv on the bridge-camera station (but turn off the sound). The tv is just as good as having a porthole type of window. Unless you have a balcony, what's the difference if you have a real window or a virtual window? With the tv on, it will be dark in your inside stateroom during the night, but lighter when the camera picks up the sunshine. It's a much cheaper "fake" window. And, it works for me.:cool:[/QUOTE]
Neat idea.

[quote name='tinaweha']The tv is just as good as having a porthole type of window. Unless you have a balcony, what's the difference if you have a real window or a virtual window? With the tv on, it will be dark in your inside stateroom during the night, but lighter when the camera picks up the sunshine. It's a much cheaper "fake" window. And, it works for me.:cool:[/quote]

And you can put a towel over it and pretend it is a curtain.

Archived