Live Silver Spirit Maiden TA Crossing

DebbieH103

I would have measured things if I didn't get my tape measure at 6:30 on the last night of the cruise. We took the luggage scale/tape measure with our points. Thank you very much trivia team 4. We loved spending every night with you!

I think this dressing table vs. the bed issue is not different from the ships where it is sort of at the side of the bed. I think that might be more narrow. I usually dry my hair naturally and don't wear much makeup, so this is a total non-issue for me. I was slightly inconvenienced by having to drape plugs across the bed. The only thing I see that worries me is the situation for walkers and such. We saw 3 wheelchairs in the hall. You may have someone that finds the need of a walker or wheelchair at the last minute do to some situation that occured after booking and after the handicap suites are booked. Yes, you can get a really good handicap suite on Royal Caribbean where even the racks come down with a handle, but it is a different type of cruise. I don't know the answer.

Whoever asked about if this was a different experience from the other ships---that is exactly how I described it. I want to sail again this fall in warm waters and see if I still feel that way. Many things are the same, but I feel they have created something a little different.

LOL - But I do pine for good ol' Fish and Chips wrapped in the "News of the World!!":):):)

David,

May I remind you the French, for one, ridicule the British for dinning on prime rib and Yorkshire pudding, fish 'n chips, and bangers and mash while they, themslves, forage on a garden pest menu of snails and frog legs? No I do not pine for a good Engliish roast, mashed with gravy...I have lived all these years enjoying them and will continue to do so as long as my tastebuds function.

And so the planet Earth revolves.

Ron

Dining!!! Sorry i was summoned to the table for leg of lamb, roast potatoes, peas, all with mint sauce and two miniture union jacks from qm 2. My typing suffered at the thought.

My tastebuds are ecstatic!:):):)

Hey Ron:

Hope you enjoyed the roast lamb. Betty still cooks English style even after 50 years in the US!

This conversation started I think because Lord of the Seas objected to the new stone cooked cuisine aboard the Spirit. I think that I am correct in questioning the "spirit" of this objection from over there. I still love to return to the UK but their slowness in adopting to the rest of the world makes me a little crazy. Still, that is part of their charm.

David.

We're anchored in St. Barts and it looks as if it's going to be another beautiful day. We'll be here till 2300 and then off to St. Maarten, our last port. We will really hate to see this cruise end. It has been our best cruise yet and we've met so many wonderful people. I think the 2 ships here with us today are one of the Seadream yachts and one of the Windstar vessels. Can't read the names yet. We had a very nice dinner last evening in le Champagne with Wes and Ida and a couple from Canada. Great meal with lots of good conversation and many laughs. That Army guy faded quickly after dinner and we had to send him to bed sprinkled with pixie dust. Navy ruled again! The internet is operating exceptionally well and we haven't had any drop outs or slow operation all the way across the Atlantic. Paul has done a great job as the internet/media contractor.

Thanks to all for making this such an interesting thread! One reminder though, please try to politely respond to the post, not the poster when you can. :)

Host Dan

Dan:

Thanks for doing such a good job monitoring the threads.

I think that the threads have become a "chat line" between members. That is a very good thing in my estimation as long as the chats remain civilized! It is so difficult it appears to remain on subject as so many views are expressed.

Last night, the Restaurant delivered another homerun in the special order department. Dover sole was outstanding and the Cherries Jubilee lip smaking delicious. Tonight is the a pool deck party extravaganza(bbq, along with entertainment/production show, dancing on deck follows).

Doug I certainly hope the last two days are just was wonderful as the rest of the cruise has been and I would like to thank you, Wes and the CC'ers on board for making me (at least!) feel as though I were there. It is a long time till our first cruise with SS on the Spirit in October next year but we are really looking forward to it, thanks to all the info we have had from all of you.

Have a great time in the next few days and travel safely home.

Merci!!

I'd like to thank Doug and Wes and Craig and Wil as well for their posts. I know it takes time out of your vacation and is very generous of all of you to try and keep us updated. Your crossing sounded wonderful and certainly makes me want to sail on the Spirit soon.

I'd like to thank Doug and Wes and Craig and Wil as well for their posts. I know it takes time out of your vacation and is very generous of all of you to try and keep us updated. Your crossing sounded wonderful and certainly makes me want to sail on the Spirit soon.

Absolutely! Thank you so much!:D

Just saw several staff from the Shadow who came over to look at the ship--was great to see bartender Oliver and other friends! We docked in St. Maarten but we went over to the french side and saw the Shadow out in the water at anchor! Great to see two Silversea ships in port!

Doug I certainly hope the last two days are just was wonderful as the rest of the cruise has been and I would like to thank you, Wes and the CC'ers on board for making me (at least!) feel as though I were there.

Have a great time in the next few days and travel safely home.

Merci!!

Ditto! Great thread! Very much enjoyed following it.

Your very welcome--it's a pleasure to give back to Cruise Critic in general and SS thread in particular with spirit/crew/pax information in posts from our crossing. Had another magnificent meal in Le Champagne last night (we missed the Pool deck BBQ). Ida and I had the delicious Spanish menu with a nice Contadi (Italian sparkling wine) and (very light) Rioja from Spain. Special thanks again to Doug and Lynn for hosting a wonderful sailaway party from St. Maartin on their "front porch" (gigantic deck on their grand suite, 801)...good friends (Gary/Carol, Dieter/Debbie, Diane, Emmy, Nick/Maria, Doug/Lynn), stunning sunset, and complimented with SS canapes and champagne. Saturday night, after our extraordinarily well prepared dover sole; Well Seasoned, Malcomb, Doug, Dave, Ida and I enjoyed the Connisieur Club (8th deck) with provocative conversation, cigars/cognac. Life is good, real real good...but we do pause, take time, and reflect how very fortunate we are to enjoy luxury cruising.

Sunday at sea with cloudy skies and @ 20 kts of wind. The ship really rides well and we're all the way forward in 801, so we feel about the worst of any rough seas. Not rough today; just some wind. The pool deck party last evening was nice, but we had a little light rain at times. The captain was doing his best to weave the ship around any showers during the dinner, but we still got a bit of light stuff. Most of the folks attending sat under the cover on each side of the pool and it stayed dry. A lot of folks went to the Restaurant. I guess they thought they would melt on deck. The crew really did a great job with everything and the folks attending all had a great time. Lots of laughter and good conversation. One of the SS VPs is aboard and the Captain had dinner with him at the barbeque about 45 minutes after it started. He still took time to come and say hello to us. His table was all the way forward and ours was all the way aft on the port side of the deck. If you cruise with Captain Corsaro you'll really enjoy it. He's the best as far as captains go. Tonight is the last formal night and then tomorrow is packing day-SOB!!! Looks as if Tues will be anice day in FLL, so I imagine we'll get the fireboat treatment and lots of helicopter news media as we arrive in port. It's been a wonderful cruise and we hate to see it end.

Thank you for all the informative posts on here :)

I know Host Dan has asked us not to post personal messages on here, but I have been asked by a friend on board who is not too internet savvy when away from her home to post the following message, and I hope it remains, as I believe it illustrates the camaraderie on board that has built up on board and seems to indicate a "happy ship"......

"To all my friends travelling home on Tuesday,

Have safe journeys home, and see you next December on the Spirit!

God Bless,

The (Smoking) Wedding Planner xxx :)"

Your very welcome--it's a pleasure to give back to Cruise Critic in general and SS thread in particular with spirit/crew/pax information in posts from our crossing. Had another magnificent meal in Le Champagne last night (we missed the Pool deck BBQ). Ida and I had the delicious Spanish menu with a nice Contadi (Italian sparkling wine) and (very light) Rioja from Spain. Special thanks again to Doug and Lynn for hosting a wonderful sailaway party from St. Maartin on their "front porch" (gigantic deck on their grand suite, 801)...good friends (Gary/Carol, Dieter/Debbie, Diane, Emmy, Nick/Maria, Doug/Lynn), stunning sunset, and complimented with SS canapes and champagne. Saturday night, after our extraordinarily well prepared dover sole; Well Seasoned, Malcomb, Doug, Dave, Ida and I enjoyed the Connisieur Club (8th deck) with provocative conversation, cigars/cognac. Life is good, real real good...but we do pause, take time, and reflect how very fortunate we are to enjoy luxury cruising.

I add my thanks to you and all the other CC'ers who took the time out of their wonderful vacation to keep us up to date with their trips. I hope that the remainder of your trip is superb, and a loud "amen" to your sentiment that life is good, really really good.

Please say Hi to Dieter & Debbie from Bob & Victoria.

Bob and Victoria, a special "Hi" right back to you! You will really enjoy this ship on your crossing in October. You'd love the lively crowd we have on board now. And by the way, they do have two new table tennis tables on deck 9. Enjoy your upcoming Pacific voyage on the Shadow!

Dieter and Debbie

Unfortunately, the Spirit does not live up to its billing. We knew that we could not expect too much from a a second cruise as we got on in Lisbon, but it has been disapointing. The crew attitute is the only thing making this cruise for us; all are smiling and pleasant and willing to learn. Once our gang finally realized that we were sailing on Faulty Towers, a la Monty Python. John Cleese's wacky hotel, we then took it all as a laugh! This appears to be the Silver Spirit "throwaway" cruise to get it accross the pond, and they are saving all stops for the innaugural next week. No doubt the next cruise will find a very different ship and we wish them well. Some cruise critic regulars on board are having a good cruise; but perhaps they have not had to have their TV changed three times; a ships hairdryer that blows the fuse every time it is turned on; all the 110 plugs in the suite not operational; shower doors that have to be kept open with our bathrobe belts so they do not break in rough seas, a stereo that only a midget can reach etc, etc, .... and we are in one of the Grand Suites!

On all lines we have taken there are usually special small attentions offerred to pasengers in the large suites over and above what is advertised. Guess we are spoiled and have grown to expect these small attentions. Do not expect any attentions on this ship if you book a large suite as none are given. And do not expect a DVD in each suite as advertised in their brochure, no cabin has a DVD. We book large suites specifically for a DVD for subtitles as my husband does not hear well. We were provided a DVD for this reason when we asked for one; but had to rush out to buy our own DVD's in the first port of call, Las Palmas, since there are none on board.

The staff and amenity matters can be fixed; the staff smiles are genuine and they can be trained with time, and the amenities can be brought up to standard, particularly for the large suites. Unfortunately, the design issues cannot be fixed so easily. You are not able to close your sink in your bathroom, no washing out of unmentionables ladies; be prepared to get very friendly with the stinky bodies around you in the gym, it is tiny; the hairdressing section is tiny, but lots of rooms for treatments, all empty for the most part; manicure table not under lights; the silver suites elevators at the front of the ship did not operate in the first two very rough seas days so the wheelchair passengers were marooned on their floors for two days; the observation level has no washrooms, so its down two floors and along a long hall if you need to go. Hopefully at some point all these design issues will be addressed.

So as Faulty Towers is now nearing land, two days out of Fort Lauderdale, we hear that many passenders have booked future cruises, many on the other Silversea ships. We too have loved Silversea in the past. We will happily return to the other Silversea ships. As far as this one is concerned, perhaps in a cvouple of years when this ship can properly be called a Silversea Ship.

WOW - Lorela, you sure put a damper on otherwise very positive Posts by other passengers. But your complaints seem more than petty. I do believe your Suite was not up to Par with others. Hopefully the problems you addressed will be fixed in the near future.

Same Big Thank you from myself as well to all who took their valued time to keep us all informed. Wes, sounds like you will need about a month to recover from all the Food and Drink and Merymaking.

Dieter when you get home and are done with all the chores Debbie will no doubt have you doing, drop Victoria, Bob and I a good long E-Mail with all the particulars of your cruise

Hope you all enjoy your final night on the Spirit. Tip one for Sheila and I.

"Mitch"

Unfortunately, the Spirit does not live up to its billing. We knew that we could not expect too much from a a second cruise as we got on in Lisbon, but it has been disapointing. The crew attitute is the only thing making this cruise for us; all are smiling and pleasant and willing to learn. Once our gang finally realized that we were sailing on Faulty Towers, a la Monty Python. John Cleese's wacky hotel, we then took it all as a laugh! This appears to be the Silver Spirit "throwaway" cruise to get it accross the pond, and they are saving all stops for the innaugural next week. No doubt the next cruise will find a very different ship and we wish them well. Some cruise critic regulars on board are having a good cruise; but perhaps they have not had to have their TV changed three times; a ships hairdryer that blows the fuse every time it is turned on; all the 110 plugs in the suite not operational; shower doors that have to be kept open with our bathrobe belts so they do not break in rough seas, a stereo that only a midget can reach etc, etc, .... and we are in one of the Grand Suites!

On all lines we have taken there are usually special small attentions offerred to pasengers in the large suites over and above what is advertised. Guess we are spoiled and have grown to expect these small attentions. Do not expect any attentions on this ship if you book a large suite as none are given. And do not expect a DVD in each suite as advertised in their brochure, no cabin has a DVD. We book large suites specifically for a DVD for subtitles as my husband does not hear well. We were provided a DVD for this reason when we asked for one; but had to rush out to buy our own DVD's in the first port of call, Las Palmas, since there are none on board.

The staff and amenity matters can be fixed; the staff smiles are genuine and they can be trained with time, and the amenities can be brought up to standard, particularly for the large suites. Unfortunately, the design issues cannot be fixed so easily. You are not able to close your sink in your bathroom, no washing out of unmentionables ladies; be prepared to get very friendly with the stinky bodies around you in the gym, it is tiny; the hairdressing section is tiny, but lots of rooms for treatments, all empty for the most part; manicure table not under lights; the silver suites elevators at the front of the ship did not operate in the first two very rough seas days so the wheelchair passengers were marooned on their floors for two days; the observation level has no washrooms, so its down two floors and along a long hall if you need to go. Hopefully at some point all these design issues will be addressed.

So as Faulty Towers is now nearing land, two days out of Fort Lauderdale, we hear that many passenders have booked future cruises, many on the other Silversea ships. We too have loved Silversea in the past. We will happily return to the other Silversea ships. As far as this one is concerned, perhaps in a cvouple of years when this ship can properly be called a Silversea Ship.

Well, well, well,

A real Cruise CRITIC! These threads cannot be ONLY Cruise PRAISE pages. It is important that critical reviews be posted as well. Remember,"You can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time."

In the poster's rather humorous description of the conditions they encountered after plopping down over $20,000 for a 16 day vacation I am reminded why we have stayed away from maiden voyages. Have you ever moved into a brand new house? A much less technically challenging construction than an ocean liner but with very similar problems.

The problems encountered sounded very legitimate and it is hoped that this passenger's observations and problems will be addressed promptly. They did not complain in any respect to the most important aspects of the ship, the quality and attitude of the staff. If they are good, the rest of the glitches can be taken care of promptly.

Archived