Bon Voyage World Cruisers 2010 ( thats better )

Gaznjo

A technical question re blogs

In the past, when traveling, I have created a website (using the space available to me through my ISP) using a website creation programme and uploading it to my ISP using an FTP programme. I have discovered recently that I don't really need to use the FTP programme to upload new pages /photos etc - as I can do that via HTTP through my account at the ISP.

The problem that I see using online Blogs ( such as Googles Blogger) is that it appears to me that you have to actually write the blog and any updates while actually online - can't be done offline and then simply uploaded. Thus making that way not very usable(expensive) for us cruisers

Any thoughts please?

Barry

Yes you are right Barry - you need to be online to do anything. I intend to write the blog in Word then just cut and paste when I go online.

Another option would be to put the posts on a memory stick, then do the same thing at an internet cafe at each port...

Just a matter of deciding what's easiest really.

Cheers

Philip

A technical question re blogs

In the past, when traveling, I have created a website (using the space available to me through my ISP) using a website creation programme and uploading it to my ISP using an FTP programme. I have discovered recently that I don't really need to use the FTP programme to upload new pages /photos etc - as I can do that via HTTP through my account at the ISP.

The problem that I see using online Blogs ( such as Googles Blogger) is that it appears to me that you have to actually write the blog and any updates while actually online - can't be done offline and then simply uploaded. Thus making that way not very usable(expensive) for us cruisers

Any thoughts please?

Barry

Hi Phillip

Yes - I guess that would work OK - using Word to create the content of your blog - and get any photos ready/resized/etc before going online. It would then be a simple matter of opening the blog and adding new content - should be able to do that reasonably quickly.

I started to create a blog before our trip to UK (which was cancelled due to the volcano) - just to see if I could figure out how to use it. Seems easy enough.

On the other hand, it is also very easy (and probably more powerful than a blog format) to create a website offline and add to it page by page - hmm, will have to think about it.

Barry

Barry just like exodus said i write my blog in word then do a cut and paste....

in word I also add the photo's I want to use that way I actually have a word version of my blog... What i am hoping is that when I get back from my world cruise next year I would be able also use my word version to create a photobook...

the only thing you cant do ( well I can't) is cut and paste the pictures... but that is easy as you just click on the insert picture button and that lets you browse and select which picture you want to up load... that places the picture on their server and in your blog.. you can then drag it around as you like...

Joanne

Joanne

Next time you update your blog - pretend that you are already onboard, and time yourself as to how long it takes to log in, upload the updated info, quick check to see that it is OK, and log off.

I will do the same :)

Barry

Joanne

Next time you update your blog - pretend that you are already onboard, and time yourself as to how long it takes to log in, upload the updated info, quick check to see that it is OK, and log off.

I will do the same :)

Barry

I figure the only thing that would be miss leading with that is that we are adsl and on board is as bad as dialup.... but I will try...what I will also do is instead of using the the photo straight from the camera ... ( they are approx 2 meg ) i will resave these pictures as a smaller size ( I know that in paintshop there is a web photos option ) and hope that they upload quicker... actually Ill test that too by up loading the same photo at the 2 different sizes...

it is the photos that will take the time up... but you have to have them to make the blog more interesting ....

joanne

Joanne

Yes - absolutely no reason for using 2 meg pictures on the Net. Reduce them to no more than 1024x768 - about 150K. A 2 meg picture on my old dial up would take 10 minutes to download - on ADSL it takes only about 15 secs - but all the same , still no need for pictures of that size to be used on the Net, regardless of Internet connection speed.

PS I had heard that onboard Internet was slow - but didn't realise that we are talking about dial up speeds!!

Barry

From their current position, I would think they will rounding Cape York and going through the Torres Straight tomorrow.

David , in 2009 it said that whilst they came round the top and down the coast it was scenic cruising... in this years and next year it doesn't mention it... does that mean they are going a different route or would they still be close enough to see stuff!!

joanne....

David , in 2009 it said that whilst they came round the top and down the coast it was scenic cruising... in this years and next year it doesn't mention it... does that mean they are going a different route or would they still be close enough to see stuff!!

joanne....

Not sure Joanne,

Far as I know there is only one route through there,

guess it would depend if they do it at at night or through the day.

The channel is very well marked, and they have to have a local pilot on board.

I believe thats what keeps Thursday Island ticking over as the pilots leave from there to go out and join the ships.

Of course the larger ships may have someone on from Brisbane to Darwin.

do you know if boats always sail between the great barrier reef and australia or do they sail on the outside when they are heading straight to darwin...

you can tell I have never been up that way

Joanne

PS I had heard that onboard Internet was slow - but didn't realise that we are talking about dial up speeds!!

Barry

Barry, you'd better believe it! It's pathetic - so much so that I couldn't be bothered going on it in the end! :cool: And at home, I don't go even half a day without checking mail etc!

do you know if boats always sail between the great barrier reef and australia or do they sail on the outside when they are heading straight to darwin...you can tell I have never been up that way

I think it depends if they are calling into the Whitsundays and Cairns.

If not , they go up around the outside.

I noticed this blogspot has an update on the trip. http://2010bb.blogspot.com/

Joanne you might be interested to read that they can see land and some islands.

This blogspot has an update too http://blog.bretthandy.com/ and tey also mention that the internet is better than the last world cruise, and cheaper, now that is good news for those world travellers.

Joanne you might be interested to read that they can see land and some islands.

yes i read that this morning.... well that is good to know... I am checking so many blogs that I am getting myself confused here LOL...

Most of them are the public ones i have but I do have another private one that I am reading...

I was thinking that it maybe cool all the way to darwin, but by a couple of pics I have seen it looks like hanging around the pool is a goer already...

joanne

according to the ship tracker I have they have the dawn princess up near the pointy bit at the top of Queensland.... ( garry loves it when I talk technical )

joanne

according to the ship tracker I have they have the dawn princess up near the pointy bit at the top of Queensland.... ( garry loves it when I talk technical )joanne

Its great they have a daylight transit of "the pointy bit" at the top of Queensland.

Here are some pics from when we went around on Dawn Princess on the Round Australia cruise.

CIMG0059.jpg

CIMG0061.jpg

CIMG0062.jpg

CIMG0063.jpg

CIMG0065.jpg

Archived