Bon Voyage World Cruisers 2010 ( thats better )

Gaznjo

But Cazz its a lot different on a world cruise.

At home do you go out drinking and spending every night?

You have to pace yourself.

Its the same with the food.....

I could not eat rich fancy food night after night,and thats why they will have several "plain " dishes on the menu to give you a choice.

Imagine Lobster and Beef Wellington , every night , night after night.

You would be longing for a good feed of sausages and mashed potatoes:D

David, Lobster and Beef Wellington everynight!!!! Suddenly the world cruise is sounding alot better :p

Hi Jas, things are obviously different these days and everyones expectations have changed what was good in the old days would be unimpressive now.

However, I have been thinking about why I loved Fairstar so much and I have thought of another possible reason that could have contributed a tiny bit. I was a teenage girl and Fairstar was full of attractive Italian men, the eye-candy factor certainly eases the burden of sea days.;)

Jenny

Just had a phone call from our friends who have just boarded Dawn Princess. Very smooth and quick boarding of the ship. From getting out of the shuttle, boarding and off to have lunch all in 20 minutes..... well done Princess.:)

Jillybean:)

Siiiiiiiiiiggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They're on there way for 104 days. The ship pulled away from the dock at exactly 1700.

BON VOYAGE........see you back in Sydney 03 September.

And they're enjoying a farewell Australia happy hour of champagne up on deck........sighhhhhhh! Well done Princess again!

hey guys... yes i know i am pathetic but I just got home from going out and taking a look at the Dawn and to get a feel for the buzz around her...

I am just uploading the photos now...

I was hoping that if I looked sad enough someone would feel sorry for me and offer me a ticket... nah didn't happen...

there was a pretty good mix of ages down there... though at one stage there was a line up of wheelchairs waiting for their embarkation photos..... lol

we gave them all types of weather ... started with sunshine .. then torrential thunder storm .. then sunshine again... but it would have been cold up there on deck when she finnally sailed away LOL....

cazz we have booked inside ... we did an inside at xmas .. it was only12 nights but it gave us a feel for it... the only thing it did make us do was book our inside midship as we got stuck with the very first cabin on the deck and did she rock and roll...

lobster everynight...pick me , pick me....... I had it for entree and I had it for main meal on our last cruise.... they wouldn't let me order one for dessert LOL.....

anyway I will get some pics up now

Thanks so much for the updates Jillybean, Jillybean if you have a chance to ask your friends (or if anyone else knows) would love to know whether there are any children on board (remote chance we will do Syd-Dover next year and are very curious) - Joanne the photos are super, again thanks so much for sharing:)

Jane

(remote chance we will do Syd-Dover next year and are very curious) - Joanne the photos are super, again thanks so much for sharing:)

Jane

jane I did see a family of 4 down there today LOL... I pretty sure the girls looked excited enough to be getting on

joanne

Thanks for the great webshot David.

Cass I will email our friends on board and ask them to check out how many children are board. I would think not many.

Joanne thanks for the the great photos. Bet it was difficult to watch her sail away, knowing you've still got 369 days to wait.

I would have loved to have been there too, to wave her off this afternoon.

Now we can all be armchair sailors as we watch the ships webcam and wait for the first blog to be posted...:D

By Golly you're a clever girl, Joanne. What lovely sentiment. We have some fellow travellers on board and one couple will be on again next year. Having them sail has us all excited about our trip. I understand sailaway was in the dark. Our friends found it too cold to stay outside but then again they come from QLD. I also understand Princess was handing out bubbly for the sailaway.

Cheers

Anne (& John)

I am not sure as to whether we can say that we are going on a "World cruise" - as we are picking up the return leg of Oriana's world cruise from Brisbane to UK - and then we join the the first leg of Arcadias cruise back to Oz. Certainly we are going "around the world" and through the 2 canals :p

We have 19 days in UK in between including Xmas -- the cruise itself with P & O is only 84 days (less ports than Dawn P's - but also much less costly, I don't think we could have done hers) P&O's WC looks more to me like the UK to Oz passages of old - at least the Suez leg does, don't think they used to come out here via Panama.

We are trying to come to grips with the whole thing. We have done a lot of travel around the world - mostly on a tight budget - and none of our journeys/trips would I call a "holiday". As we have been retired for quite a long time now (15 years - retired very early), our life itself is really one big holiday (what's a weekend ? - all days are the same) I guess I would call our cruises so far as "holidays" - but this next one will be a "journey".

We have been away for almost 3 months in the past - but we were by ourselves, staying in youth hostels and all we needed basically was underwear, jeans , tshirts etc. This time it is much more problematic - I am taking 2 suits and a sports jacket (unheard of before !! :D ), and we will be going from the height of summer to the height of winter and back again to summer - so how we are going to cope with the amount of clothes we will need is yet to be seen.

BUT - it will be an EXPERIENCE!! Whether we enjoy it or not is another question!! :rolleyes: But I am sure it will be something we remember on our individual death beds - that, for me, is really what it and everything else is all about.

Barry

I am not sure as to whether we can say that we are going on a "World cruise" - as we are picking up the return leg of Oriana's world cruise from Brisbane to UK - and then we join the the first leg of Arcadias cruise back to Oz. Certainly we are going "around the world" and through the 2 canals :p

We have 19 days in UK in between including Xmas -- the cruise itself with P & O is only 84 days (less ports than Dawn P's - but also much less costly, I don't think we could have done hers) P&O's WC looks more to me like the UK to Oz passages of old - at least the Suez leg does, don't think they used to come out here via Panama.

This time it is much more problematic - I am taking 2 suits and a sports jacket (unheard of before !! :D ), and we will be going from the height of summer to the height of winter and back again to summer - so how we are going to cope with the amount of clothes we will need is yet to be seen.

BUT - it will be an EXPERIENCE!! Whether we enjoy it or not is another question!! :rolleyes: But I am sure it will be something we remember on our individual death beds - that, for me, is really what it and everything else is all about.

Barry

Sure you can, with the added bonus of 19 days in the UK in between. I did something similiar on my first trip overseas, but with 9 months in between!! :)

But both cruises were "world cruises", which are very different to short cruises.

These cruises set the benchmark for my future cruises, as I loved all the sea days, standing on deck whilst cruising into exotic ports of call, lengthy port visits (departing Acapulco at 4 am after a night in the town) and the routine of daily activities on the ship, with friendly passengers and crew.

P&O did go via Panama then on atw cruises, but I did the other half back from London via South Africa with P&O, as the Suez was closed.

With airline luggage restrictions, this is how we managed regular trips from a Queensland mid-summer to freezing US/UK/Europe. When we got to London, we'd visit Op Shops in posh suburbs, such as Chelsea, to stock up on our heavy winter wardrobe. We always meant to donate them back at the end of our travels, but some, such as my beautiful black Italian coat which weighs a ton, I couldn't part with. Apart from having to wear the coat home, this method allows you to travel light for your land travels, in hotter climates.

You'll have an unforgettable memorable time on your "World Cruise", as will passengers on this "World Cruise".

Bon Voyage to all!

Barry when you stated that the way you are 'going around the world' was a lot cheaper than the present one, my ears pricked up (figuratively speaking) because we are ruled by available funds. I will have to look at your itinerary.

We'd love to do that again while we still have rellies there.

Our RTW cruise wasn't really that either. We chose the Flavia (now defunct Cogedar Italian line) because it was cheap, one class, AND we had an en suite - not common those days unless you were 1st class. Booked the same cabin return (open ended date). We went via Suez (luckily just before it closed) had 21 mths in UK & Europe, then came home via the Panama. Can't remember now if we booked it that way, or if it was because the Suez was closed. (It was cheaper because we had fewer ports, and the journey was still 6 weeks long each way, although other ships did it in 4. We still loved every minute of it - and their pizza was to die for!)

I am with you Jas 13 nights enough for me,, i had cabin fever after 10 days! I prefer the shorter cruises 8 days is plenty then get off and start planning the next one,,, just off the dawn Princess yesterday i could not even contemplate another cruise for at least another 3 months lol....Also the age group on this sort of cruise would not suit me,,, maybe one day it will,we spoke to a lady at the airport who was on her way to the ship and she said at her age it is just a floating nursing home, hope asll on board have a ball,,,,,,

I am with you Jas 13 nights enough for me,, i had cabin fever after 10 days! I prefer the shorter cruises 8 days is plenty then get off and start planning the next one,,, just off the dawn Princess yesterday i could not even contemplate another cruise for at least another 3 months lol....Also the age group on this sort of cruise would not suit me,,, maybe one day it will,we spoke to a lady at the airport who was on her way to the ship and she said at her age it is just a floating nursing home, hope asll on board have a ball,,,,,,

How was your cruise Margrey? Where did it go? My problem with a world cruise is that i love my `foofy` drinks too much, and those 3 berry daiquiris are to die for, i would guarantee we would have to take out a second mortgage just on the drink bill alone :p

Sandy

This is what I originally responded to - eventually cost us $12K each for the return journey on the 2 ships. (Inside guarantee) It seems that you cant believe everything you see advertised on t Internet :p

P&O webpages for each cruise Oriana Arcadia

The beauty of it is -- BRISBANE to BRISBANE. No flights !! :p Was reading a blog from one of the Dawn P's passengers - an they had the problem of limited baggage capacity because they had to fly to Sydney to pick up the ship. We can take whatever we like!!!:D:D Except we have to get to my sons place in London. Think we will get the train from Southampton to Waterloo and taxi it form there. In the past when we have flown to London (with only 1 suitcase each ) we have managed to use the Underground - but this time will have to get a taxi . It's only about 10 klms

Barry

Archived