Bon Voyage World Cruisers 2010 ( thats better )

Gaznjo

hi guys missed me... I have been out all day and now sitting down with a drink to enjoy these bloggers...

David

http://www.princess.com/find/shorexDetails.do?subnav=true&voyageCode=D111&tourCode=&resType=C&departurePort=&noOfCruiseDays=&noOfTourDays=&travelOrder=&bID=&airPortCode=&port=DRW&productCode=WCD104&departureDate=May+25%2C+2011&productDesc=Round+World+Cruise%3A+Roundtrip+Sydney++104+Days++++

hope that link works.... takes you to the shore tours with princess.. they have 2 tours ... one has a video to watch this made me want to go there. ... they are both elite tours

MM downunder how long did it take you to drive out there... and did you pick up your hire from in town...???

Joanne

I don't know David, as we don't do ship tours.We disembarked from our cruise in Darwin, so hired a car and did a most enjoyable day trip to Litchfield Park.

Ship tours?..... your own tours?

mmmm... depends on the port.

If its one we know , we will do our thing...

one that we dont....

always a ship tour , as the guide will give you all the local knowledge,and get you up to speed.

You can sometimes be "penny wise and pound foolish"

Ship tours?..... your own tours?

mmmm... depends on the port.

If its one we know , we will do our thing...

one that we dont....

always a ship tour , as the guide will give you all the local knowledge,and get you up to speed.

You can sometimes be "penny wise and pound foolish"

I agree there is a cost for doing your own independent touring. Lots of research via the internet, library books, current travel magazines, and newspaper travel sections and, most importantly, taking advice from experienced travellers, who have been there and done that (such as via cruise critic).

When one takes a tour, it is on the assumption that everyone will be interested in the same things - not so!

When one takes a tour, it is on the assumption that everyone will be interested in the same things - not so!

As I said

it depends on the port....

in the exotic ports we have visited ,

the best value has always been

the cheapest Highlights tour....

You are only there for one day,

so cant mess around.

Oh Boy , can I tell you some stories of the ports we have visited and used your theory, only to get lost, or the bus does not turn up,

or the research that was done was OK , except they are having a festival today so it has all changed.

As I said

it depends on the port....

in the exotic ports we have visited ,

the best value has always been

the cheapest Highlights tour....

You are only there for one day,

so cant mess around.

Oh Boy , can I tell you some stories of the ports we have visited and used your theory, only to get lost, or the bus does not turn up,

or the research that was done was OK , except they are having a festival today so it has all changed.

Or it's the day that everything closes at 1.00pm and there are no buses, taxis or any other form of transport available for the rest of the afternoon:rolleyes:

Jillybean;)

Likewise, my early tour experiences turned me off organised tours for life -

• long breaks and queues for toilet breaks (women)
  • long lunches, in out of the way places, so you can't escape
  • long visits to recommended shops, in out of the way places, so you can't escape
  • always at least one person who does not arrive back at the bus at the designated time, so everyone has to wait
  • stupid questions
  • not enough time to enjoy places, such as monuments, museums, art galleries, which you really want to see.

However, I understand that organised tours have a place as they allow people, especially the elderly, to see and visit places they'd never be able to visit/be game to visit, in the limited time available, on their own.

We shared a table once with four elderly people who enjoyed going off on their organised tours at each port of call, then enjoyed sharing tales of our independent adventures at dinner each night.

hi guys missed me... I have been out all day and now sitting down with a drink to enjoy these bloggers...

MM downunder how long did it take you to drive out there... and did you pick up your hire from in town...???

Joanne

Yes. Me too, Joanne!

Litchfield National Park is only 100 km south west of Darwin.

http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/parks/find/litchfield.html

We disembarked in Darwin, so hired a car for our stay. However, you could comfortably visit Litchfield during a port visit, as well as your husband's old stomping grounds, as long as you had your car hire already booked (take your togs).

We did a ships tour of Litchfied from Sun Princess in July 2008. Normally we do our own thing but decided $109 wasn't a bad price for a long tour including lunch. I've just looked up my diary; we left the ship about 8.45 and didn't get back until 5.45. Lunch was lovely and not too long. We even had time for a swim at Wandi Falls. Well worth the money.

Thanks to all of you doing blogs. We are really enjoying the cruise already and can't wait to board on 14 July.

Royma and John

thanks for that kiwi... I was in the process of uploading the picture when I thought I would better check to see if someone has already done it...

I know that you kiwi's always come through :-)

joanne

Kevo7 looks like he may be in a bit of trouble next elections, and is stepping up his budget in this area..

We may well see all these good folk diverted for a holiday at Christmas Island...

Another Kev

have to laugh as when I saw the small boat infront of the dawn princess i thought the same thing.... more assylum seekers ready to leave LOL....

have you read the blogs... it looks so smooth but yet the swell is enough to stop the catamaran from getting people off..... and then the hook thingo swinging around and smashing a window..... hope there are not too many tender ports this year... I think next year we only have 2 or 3....

joanne

have you read the blogs... it looks so smooth but yet the swell is enough to stop the catamaran from getting people off..... and then the hook thingo swinging around and smashing a window..... hope there are not too many tender ports this year... I think next year we only have 2 or 3....

joanne

All this technical talk must be keeping your husband amused! Hope he is getting lots of ideas for next year's grand tour production.

Joanne, just wondering if you had heard how Diane is ??? I hope she is ok - reading John and Gail's blog - if you are corresponding with them please send my wishes for a speedy recovery......

Really enjoying the blogs - I am sure there were lots of frustrated passengers having experienced trying to tender off on the Sun Princess, but you just have to put it down to part of the experience!

Jane

Joanne, just wondering if you had heard how Diane is ??? I hope she is ok - reading John and Gail's blog - if you are corresponding with them please send my wishes for a speedy recovery......

Jane

Jane, I sent her email yesterday so I will see if we hear back... sounds like she might be a little sore but sorry

Joanne

Thanks Joanne. I am actually getting severe eye strain trying to keep up with all of these and other blogs, :eek: but it's a great way to get to know the world, isn't it? Almost as good as doing it yourself. I always seem miss something when I go anywhere - guess we can only take in so much at a time.

Kiwi Thank You for your interestng posts regarding the World Cruise

I love when you put on their positions

I have now a total of five blogs from the cruisers on board and it is great to see all their photos and different views

I spend quite awhile on an evening reading them all dreaming one day it may be me

Kiwi Thank You for your interestng posts regarding the World Cruise

I love when you put on their positions

I have now a total of five blogs from the cruisers on board and it is great to see all their photos and different views

I spend quite awhile on an evening reading them all dreaming one day it may be me

I second that and thanks to everyone for putting up the blogs addicted already can't wait to get on line every morning for the latest and yes dreaming what it would be like to be actually there. This year would have been a particularly good one I think, going the right way, no ship lag, and could have had some time in Europe and come back on Oriana, ahh now off to buy another lotto ticket, dream dream.

It will be interesting to see where they dock in Singapore.

Hopefully they are a size that will allow them to dock at the Cruise Terminal,

otherwise they will be stuck out at the container terminal.

Think I read somewhere that Singapore is planning a new cruise terminal

up near Marina Bay to handle the new and larger cruise ships???

It will be interesting to see where they dock in Singapore.

Hopefully they are a size that will allow them to dock at the Cruise Terminal,

otherwise they will be stuck out at the container terminal.

Think I read somewhere that Singapore is planning a new cruise terminal

up near Marina Bay to handle the new and larger cruise ships???

i have a feeling last year they stopped at the cruise terminal...

Joanne

Archived