Automatic charity charge?

cruzemaven

Safeway has started this marketing as well. When I enter my 'club card' number, it asks if I would like to contribute to Jerry's Kids. The first time I saw it I punched yes without really thinking, and there was no way to change my mind once I realized what I had said yes too. Every time I shop there I have to remember to check no on the machine.

I am very careful to give to charities with low overhead, so I know where the money is being used. Breast cancer research does not qualify under that rule. I would love to hear SS's reasoning behind adopting this truly offensive program.

Safeway has started this marketing as well. When I enter my 'club card' number, it asks if I would like to contribute to Jerry's Kids. The first time I saw it I punched yes without really thinking, and there was no way to change my mind once I realized what I had said yes too. Every time I shop there I have to remember to check no on the machine.

I am very careful to give to charities with low overhead, so I know where the money is being used. Breast cancer research does not qualify under that rule. I would love to hear SS's reasoning behind adopting this truly offensive program.

I don't think the analogy is quite accurate. Safeway asks if you want to contribute; you can check "yes" or "no." (I don't think there is anything really wrong with that.) Safeway does not mention at the bottom of the bill that you have automatically contributed to a charity and if you do not want to do so you can go to the manager's office to get your money back. That would be closer to what Silversea is doing. (Although, in fairness, Silversea does apparantly distribute material about the charity at some point in the cruise.)

I think the SS charity charge and you being asked in a supermarket if you wish to donate to there kids club program are as alike as drinking a coke or a glass of fine vintage Champagne.:D

If Breast Cancer research does not fit in with your RULES,:confused: that is your choice, but calling the concept of trying to get money for a good cause "truly offensive" is completely OTT:(

If Breast Cancer research does not fit in with your RULES,:confused: that is your choice, but calling the concept of trying to get money for a good cause "truly offensive" is completely OTT:(

You are missing the point. It is not the asking that people find offensive. It is the method. Basically the cruise line is saying you have to donate to my choice of charity and if you don't like it, then you have to take time out of your vacation and tell me you don't like it.

That is what people find offensive.

You are missing the point. It is not the asking that people find offensive. It is the method. Basically the cruise line is saying you have to donate to my choice of charity and if you don't like it, then you have to take time out of your vacation and tell me you don't like it.

That is what people find offensive.

I am sorry but I am not missing the point, I have no problem with anyone who does not wish to give the dollar a day, I posted that I would when the thread first started, I am having second thoughts, but I do think words like "offensive" are OTT, and lets be honest about the time out of the vocation to get this removed, most cruises are a minimum of 7 days, making 168 hours, making 10080 minutes, how long does it take to go to the desk and get it removed 2, maybe 3 minutes, not a very big deal. IMHO

I am sorry but I am not missing the point, I have no problem with anyone who does not wish to give the dollar a day, I posted that I would when the thread first started, I am having second thoughts, but I do think words like "offensive" are OTT, and lets be honest about the time out of the vocation to get this removed, most cruises are a minimum of 7 days, making 168 hours, making 10080 minutes, how long does it take to go to the desk and get it removed 2, maybe 3 minutes, not a very big deal. IMHO

The point is the that cruise line should not be demanding payment and making people take time out of their vacation to reverse something the cruise line should not be doing in the first place. You might think you are not missing the point, but I also agree, this "opt out" arrangement is very offensive.

The point is the that cruise line should not be demanding payment and making people take time out of their vacation to reverse something the cruise line should not be doing in the first place. You might think you are not missing the point, but I also agree, this "opt out" arrangement is very offensive.

I also concur that although the purpose is honorable, the method is offensive and that is, exactly, the point.

-Peter

No one likes to be charged for something they did not authorize-no matter how honorable the cause is. This is the main point. I requested the charity charge not be added to my account on my request form pre-cruise October 14,2010. I hope Silversea honors my request and the matter will be resolved before we set sail. My vacation time is limited and I do find this practice very offensive and have communicated this to Silversea.

If it weren't for this thread, I don't think I would have been aware of this charge and how to remove it. Perhaps like many people, I don't read every word of everything that comes with the silver box or in the cabin, especially if after a quick screen it appears to be selling something I'm not interested in. Unauthorized charges like this aren't legal in most places, so one doesn't expect it. Thanks CC members for passing along the information.

As a matter of curiosity, does SS issue a receipt for income tax purposes to those that do contribute? However, I don't imagine that this charity qualifies everywhere for a tax deduction. Then, does SS get the tax benefit for contributions?

If it weren't for this thread, I don't think I would have been aware of this charge and how to remove it. Perhaps like many people, I don't read every word of everything that comes with the silver box or in the cabin, especially if after a quick screen it appears to be selling something I'm not interested in. Unauthorized charges like this aren't legal in most places, so one doesn't expect it. Thanks CC members for passing along the information. As a matter of curiosity, does SS issue a receipt for income tax purposes to those that do contribute? However, I don't imagine that this charity qualifies everywhere for a tax deduction. Then, does SS get the tax benefit for contributions?

Silversea's main offices and operations are based in Monaco. As I understand that is a "tax-free" zone, so that is not really an issue for their consideration or worry, unlike those of us in the USA. Right?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Silversea's main offices and operations are based in Monaco. As I understand that is a "tax-free" zone, so that is not really an issue for their consideration or worry, unlike those of us in the USA. Right?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hello Terry:

Please explain for a member of the financially ignorant (me). Does SS not have to pay taxes? Hence, they don't have to look for ways to save tax dollars?

Hi all, I was going to pass on commenting - since any comment I might make has already been made - but in case anyone at SS is looking at this board and counting who is for or against, I decided to chime in.

I find this practice offensive and while it may be legal in Monaco to do this, I hope that SS has the decency and good business sense to delete this unauthorized charge on our bills. While it may be a good charity, there are already plenty of my own choosing that I contribute to and do not want someone else determining which contributions I might make. And then to have to take my time - even just a few minutes - to get this deleted from my account is just over the top, and I will resent it if I have to do this. We are sailing with SS again in the summer and I would hope and expect that this practice would be discontinued by then.

This just keeps getting better. I googled the 'foundation Maruzza Lefebvre D'Ovidio' (where the contributions go) in an attempt to figure out how much of the money collected goes to salaries and other operating expenses, and how much is actually spent on charity. Their website's financial page is under construction, and I couldn't find them listed in any of the organizations that list the financial record of charities, like Charity Watch.

WOW...As a many time repeat Silverseas guest, I see this donation situation has now really come to the attention of not only my fellow guests but to the Silverseas Management...

Here is a TIP...Listen to your customers, as it is very apparent that the company's view of the word DONATION and the reality of what has been asked for are two different things...

This is not a money or cause issue, but instead it shows Silverseas Management not listening and asking properly for this donation, which is up to the client to partake in and not to get OUT of partaking...

If you are wise you will listen to the many people who are spending thousands of dollars to go on Silverseas...

I as one would be most happy to be asked to contribute to a worthwhile cause (And probably give allot more that a buck a day) but when taken for granted, I really get turned off which is what everyone on this thread is saying to you.

Come on Manfredi and Mr. Tucker..all you have to do is ask your guests and you shall receive, but not first take and then ask.

Just some solid food for though.

Regards,

Sisterships

1 Go aboard with cruise already spoilt by charity charge.

2 Whilst at reception getting photo taken (remember to lose grumpy face) simply ask for charge to be removed.

3 Now feel free to enjoy cruise!

Now wasn't that simple!!

PS OR, during cruise, dwell on charity charge and try to spread mutinous mood amongst other passengers in case they dare to pay and make you feel mean.

Well put Sisterships. It appears to be a noble cause. An envelope left in the room with an explanation of where the money is spent (and how much goes to salary and expenses) would no doubt collect much more than a dollar or two per day from most passengers.

Before I donate to a charity, I want to know how it spends its revenue - what proportion goes to administrative costs, how much it spends on specified activities, how much compensation its executives receive, etc. In other words, I want accountability. Fondazione Maruzza Lefebvre D'Ovidio fails on all counts. Its website has very general, descriptive information and is lacking in specifics. I have no way of verifying where the money really goes, even assuming it all goes to the charity. I feel it is unwise to support this charity at all, and I certainly object to the shakedown tactics used. Shame on Silversea.

1 Go aboard with cruise already spoilt by charity charge.

2 Whilst at reception getting photo taken (remember to lose grumpy face) simply ask for charge to be removed.

3 Now feel free to enjoy cruise!

Now wasn't that simple!!

PS OR, during cruise, dwell on charity charge and try to spread mutinous mood amongst other passengers in case they dare to pay and make you feel mean.

Scotspea:

Please see message # 131 in this thread. I made a simple request/suggestion of you there. Clearly you are unable to honor that suggestion/request. You are clearly incorrigible.

Scotspea- I suspect that many of us would have your reaction, but in the assumption that this forum is monitored by SS management (and I can't imagine that it isn't) we are hoping to let them know that we REALLY don't like this policy- thus the somewhat over the top response.

Archived