Automatic charity charge?

cruzemaven

As I understand the situation, passengers receive a further and unmistakable notification mid-cruise, where a brochure and bracelets are placed in the suite. How can one not notice bracelets on the bed? It's not as if SS is hiding the initiative. Characterizing SS as a slick, silent pick-pocket seems a bit much to me. I am no fan of this initiative, and I can imagine going to reception and having the charge removed on my forthcoming SS cruise. However, *all* passengers (and not merely those who read CC) should be aware of the initiative when they return to their suites one evening and find the materials on their beds.

While I do agree, I wish that Silversea had done this in a different manner so I could feel good about opting in rather than awkward about opting out. I will continue to donate to the crew fund but will make sure that the "charity" charge is removed from my account.

Scotspea,

I wasn't referring to the amount (which I exagerated to make a point) but the principle, to which you seem to have no objection. I do.

Wripro,

I most certainly do, (see answer to BillP1 Aug17/18) but feel the reaction is disproportionate to the sums involved and the easy opt out.

Had enough now, tired of fuss so no more from me.

From the puffed up outrage shown by many of these posts, a charity to supply on board heart support equipment might be more appropriate!

The level of anger and language used is way out of proportion to the average $20 contribution.

I agree it's not the best way to collect but an opt-in scheme would have been ignored by most.

If it is easier for people to swap cruise lines than to stop at the reception area to politely opt-out, as I will, they must, in my view, have strange values.

:p

What makes this particular charity so far and above all the other charities that it deserves to make people who don't want to contribute have to take time out of their vacation to opt out?

Perhaps you would not feel the same way if all those charities that send you return address labels charged you up front, and you had to opt out if you didn't want to contribute.

I'm going to opt out of this charity rubbish as soon as I get on the ship. I do not believe that Silversea should be doing this and when I see the bracelet and brochure, it will be going in the rubbish bin. Just goes to show where a lot of the money is going...bracelets & brochures.:rolleyes:

Cheers

Jennifer

As a dedicated donor to several charities which my husband and I support with a lot of thought and in many cases very personal attachment, and as a very successful fund raiser for over 25 years, I simply must continue to add my objections to the crass methods that SS apparently persists to force upon their passengers.We are loyal (over 350 days ) SS customers and we feel insulted and very, very surprised by this incredibly stupid P.R. move. Why should any of us spend one minute going to reception to remove an unauthorized, alienating, and possibly illegal charge? SS is a business, and if the owners want to support "their" charity either personally or thru their corporation, then cheers to them...but leave their customers out of this crude, sneaky "volunteer" donation. The number one rule in fund raising is to make donors feel good about giving.

Does no one at Silversea's management read these posts??

We were anticipating the automatic charge on our recent Spirit voyage due to the information we had discovered on CC. What we had not heard about was the grey bracelets, nor did we receive the glossy brochure until that evening mid-way through the voyage.

I am not sure if this is Silversea's method of making the whole issue more palatable, or exactly what. Someone asked if we had seen anyone actually wearing the bracelet - we've both racked our brains, and honestly - no, we never did see anyone with one on. I think we might have noticed, but can't promise that!

Reception was very gracious in removing the charge, however as a personal issue only, we feel that no charity charge should be automatically added to our account - it is really not about the miniscule amount. Had we been left with the information and perhaps a envelope or a slip allowing us to donate if we chose to, perhaps our reaction might have been quite different. We love Silversea, but we do question this decision on their part.

For those of us who do not live in the USA this charge (if paid) does not end up at a dollar a day. We are going on a 47day cruise, Vancouver to Bangkok. At a dollar a day per person plus exchange rate and the 3% credit card fee, we will probably end up paying around Australian $110. Thats $16 added to my banks bottom line.

I am sure everybody has seen the terrible situation in Parkistan. The sight of the poor starving children breaks my heart and I know where I want my charity money going and it is not to a charity in Italy.

My other objection to this charge is the amoumt of waste. How much are the glossy brochures etc costing. They would be better off donating this money to their charity and not pestering us.

I will enjoy my cruise but I am very mindful of how lucky I am and at times if I seem slightly forlorn it will me taking time out to count my blessings and say a silent pray for the people of Parkistan.

I"m sorry so many people think the amount is trivial and we are making mountains out of molehills but I want my charity money to go to really needy people in third world countries. I do not want to Silversea forcing me to write a letter or go to reception to remove this charge.

Agree with you cruisinpashmina about the charge and the uncomfortable feeling it leaves in us. Like you, we have our own charities to which we give. The problem isn't charitable giving, it is how Silversea is taking the money. It is invasive.

I think SS would benefit more from placing the aforementioned envelope in the cabin, -no slick brochure and certainly not the bracelets, which we saw no one wearing.

The only other experience we have with cruise ship line sponsored charities was with Viking River Cruises. We were asked if we wanted to participate in their schooling project in China, as part of our Yangtze River Cruise. It was optional. We went to a school they ran, saw the work they did, enjoyed our day with the children and did give a donation. But we were advised about it before we left the US. There was nothing hidden about it and no pressure to contribute other than with our presence. It was a wonderful day and left lasting memories.

Perhaps SS should take a page out of Viking's playbook and find a more open way of promoting their charity. We took the charge off and gave it to the crew fund.

As to whether SS reads these boards, I'm not sure. But we have found Ken Watson, CEO to be responsive. Perhaps and email to him would be of benefit.

I have not travelled Silversea for a couple of years - and do not know if I would again, but have to say that if this practice is not illegal it should be.

To give each passenger details of their charity, in the form of a letter left in the suite, would be fine, but this to me almost amounts to blackmail, in that they hope you will not notice, or will feel a heel for going to reception to cancel.

We got off the PA 2 after our arctic cruise today.

THe charity charge is still happening. On Day 3 we returned to our suite after dinner to find the letter and bracelets. The letter did mention if you didnt want to donate to go to reception to remove the charge. I did that the next day, telling the receptionist that I wanted to reomve the charity charge for my husband and I and was told I could only do it for myself, that my husband would have to come to reception and sign the form himself. The form was left on the reception desk for all to see, the receptionist was extremely curt with me, making me feel embarrassed !!

We got off the PA 2 after our arctic cruise today. THe charity charge is still happening. On Day 3 we returned to our suite after dinner to find the letter and bracelets. The letter did mention if you didnt want to donate to go to reception to remove the charge. I did that the next day, telling the receptionist that I wanted to reomve the charity charge for my husband and I and was told I could only do it for myself, that my husband would have to come to reception and sign the form himself. The form was left on the reception desk for all to see, the receptionist was extremely curt with me, making me feel embarrassed !!

WOW!!! This is really getting worse to make your spouse come down separately, too!!?? Did you have to sign in blood with a notary present, also? Very, very dumb. It was about like having to deal with the finance guy at the end of our Silver Cloud trip. A few don't "get it" with Silversea.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I did that the next day, telling the receptionist that I wanted to reomve the charity charge for my husband and I and was told I could only do it for myself, that my husband would have to come to reception and sign the form himself.

I have recorded in the passenger information form for both myself and Ms. Portolan that we decline this charge. If there is any hastle at reception, I will point that out.

If there are any intelligent people at Silversea, they must have some dim idea that this is a huge PR fiasco. As many have suggested, if this were presented as a reasonable opt-in donation, they'd probably get as much or more than they get this way. The procedure (not the cause) is so offensive that I plan on bringing it up in casual conversation with everyone we encounter to ensure that they are fully cognizant of the charge and can decide for themselves if they wish to participate.

WRT those who say this is open and transparent because of the notice left in the cabins, I ask you whether you read the fine print of all the donate-to-charity emails you receive to see if, per chance, failure to reply in the negative will result in an automatic donation. I expect not.

This is ridiculous. One passenger sees the charge after-the-fact, gets upset (feels ripped off) cancels the next cruise, and vows to never sail SS again. Is this good PR? Is this good management? I think NOT! I have sailed on several ships that offer the "Susan B Komen walk-the-deck for the cure". This is an option for the guest, it offers a bracelet and t-shirt and a 1 mile walk. Alot of voluntary participation and good feelings are had by all. Come on SS, get with the program! On the other hand, why couldn't SS take the cruise fare of one low suite per cruise, and donate that fare to the charity in everyone's name who is sailing? They could even offer an option to make an additional contribution. Seems like win-win to me...

Host Dan

We got off the PA 2 after our arctic cruise today.

THe charity charge is still happening. On Day 3 we returned to our suite after dinner to find the letter and bracelets. The letter did mention if you didnt want to donate to go to reception to remove the charge. I did that the next day, telling the receptionist that I wanted to reomve the charity charge for my husband and I and was told I could only do it for myself, that my husband would have to come to reception and sign the form himself. The form was left on the reception desk for all to see, the receptionist was extremely curt with me, making me feel embarrassed !!

I just am amazed that both you and your husband had to each come down. For one to come down is a major inconvenience and the second time around is an insult.

And the person at the reception desk being curt.

I know I and many others have said this from the very beginning. Silversea has taken something that is actually quite nice, if it had been done the right way, and turned it into something that is horrible.

And for many of us it will be the principle thing.

What a blunder.

Keith

Approx 75 people have posted to this thread. 37 have stated their opinion once without the need repeat. 16 have 3 or more contributions, most often repeating their struggle. Perhaps Meow! can set up a poll so Mr. Tucker can count the disenfranchised. Looks like less than fifty to date.

Approx 75 people have posted to this thread. 37 have stated their opinion once without the need repeat. 16 have 3 or more contributions, most often repeating their struggle. Perhaps Meow! can set up a poll so Mr. Tucker can count the disenfranchised. Looks like less than fifty to date.

I think some, such as myself, have repeated themselves when we learn new things such as the poster who said that she had to not only sign a waiver but they also required her husband to sign it.

Polls are fine but it is also good to see the comments.

Given that the Silversea board does not attract that many posters particular ones on a regular basis I would not think that 50 is a small number.

I take polls often on the Crystal Board which has a lot more activity than this board does and most polls only attract somewhere between 40 and 80 total votes.

Keith

We are currently on the Spirit, more to follow. But upon boarding Saturday, when having my picture taken at reception and having my credit card scanned, I simply asked that the charity charge be removed. This was instaneously and courteously done. No hassle, no problem.

My partner and I (as well as my parents) will be sailing on the Shadow in November. We all like to give to charity, but we choose our own. We will have this removed, if it is on our statement. And seriously, as odd as it sounds, it irritates me to think I will have to go down to reception to have this removed. It is just flat out annoying and not in keeping with the idea of a luxury cruise.

My wife, sister, and I boarded the Silver Whisper on 16 August for a 7-day Baltic cruise. When at Reception having our photos taken I noted that I did not wish to participate in this charity and the Receptionist replied that she understood and would make a note of it. It never showed up again. Very simple and easy. But I would not have known how to have it removed without this board. Thank-you all.

Archived