Dinner attire in Main Dining Room on non-formal nights

mlhuangcruise

Two more days to cruise, yeah!

However, my family members are having a 'fight' with me (they hate the idea of formal night!). What they need to wear on non-formal nights for dinner? We choose Traditional Dining and I believe it's in Main Dining Room.

Can gentlemen wear shorts? Can ladies wear shorts or jeans? Sandals OK?

Thanks!

No shorts or tee shirts allowed in the dining room for the evening meal, breakfast and lunch they are acceptable.

The dress is "smart casual" which means long pants with collared shirts, polo shirts are fine.

Mike:)

women can wear sandals with long pants to dinner.

jeans and shorts are frowned upon in the dining room for the evening meal, however, you can change into whatever makes you comfortable right after dinner to wander the ship, go to the shows, gamble, etc.

my husband and i will make a bee-line for the cabin right after dinner on formal nights so i can get out of my heels and he can get out of his suit and tie... :)

Capris & tops are fine for the ladies for the casual nights, and sandals are fine. For the casual nights for the men, why don't you suggest chino or khaki type pants with a golf shirt? That is all casual and comfortable, but within the limits of the suggested dress code.

The gals can get away with just about anything on casual evenings & the guys can wear as a pair of dockers or jeans and a polo shirt. Lately they've been allowing T shirts on casual evenings although they were very plain looking not to attract attention.

The one thing they don't like in the DR are the shorts even on island night.

Two more days to cruise, yeah!

However, my family members are having a 'fight' with me (they hate the idea of formal night!). What they need to wear on non-formal nights for dinner? We choose Traditional Dining and I believe it's in Main Dining Room.

Can gentlemen wear shorts? Can ladies wear shorts or jeans? Sandals OK?

Thanks!

I believe the dress code on Princess is that you are allowed to wear nice jeans (no ripped or torn jeans) in the dining room on casual night. Heck, I have seen a LOT of jeans in the MDR and even on formal night....although not sure I would classify jeans as formal attire. Actually, I am sure I would not do so.

My DH takes a nice pair of khakhis and a nice pair of jeans for the MDR, also wears them with a nice pair of sandals. Women are able to wear sandals in the MDR, no problem. Although I don't really think men's sandals can be considered formal, but on casual nights, why not?

Shorts are not ok in the MDR in the evening, but seen some nice women's shorts that would definitely fly. After 32 cruises, we've never been turned away at a dining room for being dressed too casual, but usually put some effort into looking presentable. We are just past the days of tuxes and gowns. Glad to see most of the cruiselines we sail with are heading in the more casual direction. Not the opinion of some (especially on these boards), but definitely fits into my idea of a relaxing vacation.

So, can the guys wear khaki and sneakers or sandals?

Also, can my teenage boys wear sporty long pants (those soft ones with stripes at the side)? Oh, god, they will kill me if they know there are so many 'rules' to have dinner.....

Are the same expectation across all dining area (such as buffet) for dinner?

Yes, they can wear khakis with sandals or sneakers on non-formal nights in the MDR. They can also wear nice jeans. You can wear shorts in the buffet just not the dining rooms. I think jeans would look better than those athletic pants in the MDR but they would be fine in the buffet. If the boys really don't want to wear pants just let them eat in the buffet.

Also, can my teenage boys wear sporty long pants (those soft ones with stripes at the side)? Oh, god, they will kill me if they know there are so many 'rules' to have dinner.....

Dress code does not apply to the buffet for dinner. Shorts and t-shirts are fine there

Please read the Princess Answer Book available on line at www.princess.com. It spells out very clearly tyhe dress code for formal and smart casual dining.

The answers you get here may or may not be acceptable, they are strictly opinions or what one has gotten by with or what they think you can get away with.

Yes, they can wear khakis with sandals or sneakers on non-formal nights in the MDR. They can also wear nice jeans. You can wear shorts in the buffet just not the dining rooms. I think jeans would look better than those athletic pants in the MDR but they would be fine in the buffet. If the boys really don't want to wear pants just let them eat in the buffet.

If they don't want to wear pants, then I think they should dine in the cabin (LOL)

At the buffet they can wear anything they like in the evenings including dry bathing suits. The women have to have something of a cover-up but the guys who want to swim at night just throw on a t shirt & sit down.

Please read the Princess Answer Book available on line at www.princess.com. It spells out very clearly tyhe dress code for formal and smart casual dining.

The answers you get here may or may not be acceptable, they are strictly opinions or what one has gotten by with or what they think you can get away with.

Most people can read for themselves what Princess says in their suggested regulations but people want to know what actually happens on the ship & not a canned statement printed on the Princess web site. Some answers might not be what some of the more formal people want to hear but it's a good indication of the reality of the situation aboard a cruise ship.

If they are workout pants they are not appropriate to wear to dinner..

Those sound like warm-up pants? If so they would be unacceptable at dinner in the DR.

In the buffet they are free to wear whatever (no swimsuits).

At the buffet they can wear anything they like in the evenings including dry bathing suits. The women have to have something of a cover-up but the guys who want to swim at night just throw on a t shirt & sit down.

Most people can read for themselves what Princess says in their suggested regulations but people want to know what actually happens on the ship & not a canned statement printed on the Princess web site. Some answers might not be what some of the more formal people want to hear but it's a good indication of the reality of the situation aboard a cruise ship.

I don't agree! The posts here are usually the experience of one cruiser on a particular ship. There are too many variables from ship to ship to say that the experience on one ship carries on throughout the entire Princess fleet.

Thos variables include: the particular ship, the Maitre De, the Headwaiter, the Itinerary, the Captain and how belligerant and obnoxious a passenger can be when turned away for his or her dress!

The best bet is just to abide by the Princess Answer Book. It is quite clear and definative. I agree that sometimes the ship and headwaiter will bend the code somewhat, but one cannot expect this to happen fleetwide.

So, can the guys wear khaki and sneakers or sandals? -- Yes.

Also, can my teenage boys wear sporty long pants (those soft ones with stripes at the side)? Oh, god, they will kill me if they know there are so many 'rules' to have dinner..... -- There aren't a lot of "rules" for dinner. There's a dress code that Princess 'suggests' which the vast majority of passengers follow out of respect for their fellow passengers. You're on an expensive cruise that's the equivalent of a fancy hotel/resort.

Also, keep in mind that the dress code is for "smart" casual, not Mickey D's casual. Track pants are probably a bit too casual although they will not be barred from entering the dining room nor will they be thrown out.

There's no one "main" dining room on Princess unless you're on the Royal/Ocean/Pacific, which have only one dining room. Both the Traditional and Anytime dining rooms are considered main dining rooms; the menus are the same as is the dress code. The Specialty (extra cost) restaurants are smart casual even on formal nights; the buffet is casual and you can wear anything as long as you are covered (not with just a towel) and have shoes.

[/color]

I don't agree! The posts here are usually the experience of one cruiser on a particular ship. There are too many variables from ship to ship to say that the experience on one ship carries on throughout the entire Princess fleet.

Thos variables include: the particular ship, the Maitre De, the Headwaiter, the Itinerary, the Captain and how belligerant and obnoxious a passenger can be when turned away for his or her dress!

The best bet is just to abide by the Princess Answer Book. It is quite clear and definative. I agree that sometimes the ship and headwaiter will bend the code somewhat, but one cannot expect this to happen fleetwide.

Sure you can always count on what Princess publicizes but that's not what someone who posts a question is really looking for-being reality.

If you want to be safe on formal night wear a tux & cummerbund or a long flowing gown & high heals & you're sure to be OK. On casual evenings the guys can wear a jacket & dress pants with a dress shirt & the gals can dress in a pants suit.

With all the Princess ships I've sailed on (except for the smaller ships) the suggested dress code has been very similar & I've sailed almost all of them in the last few years. Princess has become very tolerant of people modifying their dress suggestions and have yet to be turned away for lack of dress.

...they will kill me if they know there are so many 'rules' to have dinner.....

Umm, there aren't that many "rules" to have dinner. That comment makes it sound like you are stressing and freaking out about this, when it really isn't necessary. Your boys can wear casual pants for dinner in the Dining Room. Is there a Target or Wal Mart near you? Casual pants do not cost a fortune, and every kid should have a pair anyway. It's not a big deal. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

No shorts or tee shirts allowed in the dining room for the evening meal, breakfast and lunch they are acceptable.

The dress is "smart casual" which means long pants with collared shirts, polo shirts are fine.

Mike:)

Just use common sense. No jeans/t-shirts, etc. Nice pair of docker slacks, a nice polo shirt, and my echos work fine for me.....:):):)

Bob

Why don't you just dine in the Horizon Court where there really is no dress code other then no bathing suits. You could also order room service. There are plenty of dining options other than the MDR or the Specialty Restaurants if they prefer not to follow the dress code.

This is a vacation and no one should be miserable for the cruise.

Khaki pants and sneakers or sandals will not be a problem on non-formal nights for men. If your teenagers are on the young side they can dress a bit less but just no shorts. Jeans are allowed. Formal nights men need to have pants (dockers will do), dress shirt and shoes (sandals will work but not shower shoes).

I wear khaki pants and a collared shirt with my nice sandals on non-formal nights. On formal nights I usually add a blue blazer which I hang on the back of my chair and only wear it going into the MDR. I wear my leather sandals to all dinner meals. I am retired and refuse to put a noose around my neck. I have done this on all the cruises I have been on without any problems.

I too have seen jeans on formal nights. BTW jeans are part of a more formal look here in the west along with a western cut jacket, bolo tie, and western shirt. It is all in what part of the world you were raised.

We also worried over the dress code for the DR during our first cruise on the Sapphire Princess in June 2010. We went the safe route and followed the Princess guidelines and took nicer clothes (smart casual) for the non-formal nights. Frankly, I was disappointed at what some people wore to the DR - this is a nice restaurant - not the local Chilis or Applebees. My son and I wore khaki-like slacks with collared long sleeve shirts, and my wife and daughter wore nice pants/skirts/blouses - you would not believe the number of people wearing jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers into the DR. If you want to be that casual, go to the buffet every night- it really cheapened the experience for us a little to see how little people thought of the nicer restaurants. We gave Princess that feedback - if they are going to specify a dress code, they should enforce it.

Archived