Tell me why I'll like a Princess cruise

Sailaweigh

Been on over 25 cruises...in the past 15 years, we've enjoyed Carnival (especially when we are part of our own group and are part of the noise). But we found the last couple times that we went on Carnival as a couple, we wanted a little less chaos), this is why we are considering a 10 day Emerald Princess cruise this winter. It is my husband's 60th and I wanted to surprise him with something a little different, that is why I'm considering the Princess Cruise (that and we're doing Carnival's 16 day TA cruise in October next year).

I've read the ship reviews but have some questions...

1) How does the food compare to Carnivals? If is it better, how is is better and vice versa.

2) How are the shows at night? I read that they aren't worth going to. We enjoy Carnival's show, how do they compare?

3) The gym...I heard is was crowded and they limit your time on the treadmill and other cardio machines. We both do an hour on the machine each day and that would be a problem.

4)I've read of unfriendly staff...is that a reliable opinion or was that from a disgruntle passenger.

Please help me make this decision...I need a push to get out of my comfort zone.

Thanks.

Well, never been on Carnival because of our preception of the choas you mention. We are in our early 60's and find the atmosphere, ship, crew, etc just to our liking. We are doing the Emerald in August (our 2nd time on her).

1. Can't compare the food but we've always thought Princess was equal or better that Royal Caribbean... the specialty resturants are great..

2. I have always thought the shows were good...alot of work but the entertainers for the produciton numbers... the first show (8:30) is usually crowded and seats may be hard to get if you don't get the early. the second show at 10:15 is not a problem. The variety is good between produciton numbers, singers/dancers/comedians, etc. There are sufficient number of lounges with a wide variety of music and entertainment to satisfy your needs.

3. I'm not a gym person but the times I've been there was never a problem. Like anything else, there are probably high times and low times...

4. Definitely can't agree on the staff comment. I have found all the staff aim to please and are very courteous although I'm sure you can find the exception on any ship/cruise line. We've been on 17 Princess cruises and thats one of the reasons we keep going back.

You will not be disappointed in the Emerald.

Been on over 25 cruises...in the past 15 years, we've enjoyed Carnival (especially when we are part of our own group and are part of the noise). But we found the last couple times that we went on Carnival as a couple, we wanted a little less chaos), this is why we are considering a 10 day Emerald Princess cruise this winter. It is my husband's 60th and I wanted to surprise him with something a little different, that is why I'm considering the Princess Cruise (that and we're doing Carnival's 16 day TA cruise in October next year).

1) How does the food compare to Carnivals? If is it better, how is is better and vice versa. The food is very good on Princess as is the food on Carnival. We enjoy the dining room experience on Princess better because there are NO ANNOUNCEMENTS while eating and less of a "Carnival" atmosphere! Furnishings are more subdued as are the staff!

2) How are the shows at night? I read that they aren't worth going to. We enjoy Carnival's show, how do they compare? Princess shows are wonderful. All cruiselines carry the same entertainment for a certain period of time so when you cruise the same line a lot, you get inundated with the same stuff. We change it up by going to different lounges/movies or playing games. Princess entertainment is great, we love it!

3) The gym...I heard is was crowded and they limit your time on the treadmill and other cardio machines. We both do an hour on the machine each day and that would be a problem. We had no problem using the gym onboard the Golden, it was pretty full at certain times so we avoided those times and found ourselves walking the wonderfully big Promenade Deck for cardio.

4)I've read of unfriendly staff...is that a reliable opinion or was that from a disgruntle passenger. We are Elite passengers on Princess and just like Carnival, the staff is fantastic. They go the extra mile to make you happy! I think both lines have a terrific crew.

Please help me make this decision...I need a push to get out of my comfort zone.

Thanks.

You will not be sorry if you chose Princess. We love to switch lines on occasion. Carnival is definitely a "fun line", we have never been disappointed in our cruise experience on either.

Princess has more "calm", less "hectic", less "noisey", more demur demeanor on her! It doesn't make her less fun, just not so crazy-fun!

Have a wonderful cruise! You really can't go wrong with either. We just like each one for a different experience.

While food being very subjective, I would rate the food on Princess good to very good and Carnival ok to good. The buffet on Princess blows Carnival out of the water with the exception of the Deli on Carnival.

Shows and music venues are about even, with Princess having more going on in the evening.

We experienced excellent service on both Princess and Carnival, usually no problems!

Sorry can't speak to the gym, I try to avoid them on vacation!!!!!

Overall, I would say try Princess. It's always nice to try something new:)

I think it's very important that you go into this cruise knowing that it is going to be a different experience than you are used to. If Carnival is a good fit for you, you may find there are things you like better about Carnival, but hopefully you will find things you like better about Princess, too.

I have been to the gym when there is a line for the treadmills. That is the only time that you would have a problem staying on an hour. But you could get off the treadmill and use the elliptical or bike if that happens. That way you can mix it up a bit!:)

It all depends on the people sailing with you on that particular cruise. Sometimes the gym is busier than others. I have found that about noon on most all ships that the gym pretty empty. (Guess most are at the buffet!):D:D

Thanks.

For a push: the ships are absolutely stunning, afternoon tea is delightful, classes at sea are inspiring, live bands are entertaining, view from aft deck is glorious, staff is very friendly, pools are breathtaking, atmosphere is relaxing, tranquil, peaceful (sometimes on the edge of boring but I like to be on the go)

Food- It simply did not work for me. Most meals were bland, lacking any real kick or flavor. I enjoyed the buffet, so while I did not get the MDR I hoped for, the buffet met and often exceeded my expectation. The prime rib in the buffet was much better than the one served in the MDR.

Gym- went by a few and had to wait so I gave up. I am sure with a bit more effort I would have found something:eek:

I am definitely one of the loud, fun, chaotic Carnival passengers that gives that poor line the bad rap:D. However when I wanted a change for our 16th wedding anniversary and time without the kids, we choose Princess. It was memorable and a worthwhile change. However, I will be the granny with flying dentures getting stuck on the Carnival's waterslide or climbing the rock wall on RCCL.:eek:

Enjoy!

Here is an album of Sapphire Princess:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/570254128ZwSkkg

Pauline

It may even come down to a ship to ship comparison as different ships have different amenities and dining options. While one ship may exceed what you are used to because of different choices, another may be inferior due to perhaps a smaller gym area or less dining venues.

Rather than say Princess will be the line for you, perhaps decide what ship offers the itinerary you want and the features you want.

To your specific notes, I found the food on Princess to be what I would consider average to above average (we were on the Coral). The entrees did seem a bit bland, but were more than adequately compensated by excellent soups, apps, salads and desserts. That's probably more of a reflection of the executive chef's focus than anything else. But I never had a complaint at all.

As to gyms, I noticed it was only full in spurts, mostly on our sea days. That said, if possible, perhaps do some orbits of the promenade at a good walking pace if the gym doesn't work for you.

And we had NO complaints about the staff at all, just the opposite. Everyone we dealt with was very pleasant and helpful (okay, one bartender was just average, but I can live with that).

I found the food on Princess less to my liking than Carnival and HAL, but food is very subjective. You will really miss the beds on Carnival..Princess has HARD beds. The decor is very tasteful, and there are more pools. Shows are similar, there is dancing in Wheelhouse Bar. I found the staff to be very pleasant. EM

1) How does the food compare to Carnivals? If is it better, how is is better and vice versa. I have found Princess to have better main dishes, Carnival has better desserts. Princess does have excellent home made ice cream and I missed that on our last Carnival cruise but the warm chocolate melting cake made me feel much better. :)

2) How are the shows at night? I read that they aren't worth going to. We enjoy Carnival's show, how do they compare? I do not like singing/dancing shows and find Princess to have more comedy, and fun shows like the marraige game.

3) The gym...I heard is was crowded and they limit your time on the treadmill and other cardio machines. We both do an hour on the machine each day and that would be a problem. We have used the treadmills many time on Princess, no one told us we had a limited amount of time.

4)I've read of unfriendly staff...is that a reliable opinion or was that from a disgruntle passenger. I am a firm believer in everywhere you go, there you are. If you are happy and friendly you are going to find happy friendly people too. If you are moody and unfriendly, you will find the same. I have never had problems with the staff. Some are not as talkative as others but all are very nice.

Please help me make this decision...I need a push to get out of my comfort zone. Thanks.

I think you will find Princess a nice change of pace. What we like is we can be as busy as we like or as quiet as we like. There are so many different places to meet our different moods. The ships with the International cafe are really nice. DH and I really liked that area.

Sailaweigh: I don't think I can tell if *you* will like Princess, and I definitely don't have the cruise experience you have, but here is why I like Princess... I like the way that they have something for just about everyone. If you like dining in a cafeteria or in a dining room, they've got you covered. If you like partying at the pool or resting in the Sanctuary, they've got you covered. If you like comedians or musicians, or even if you like peace and quiet gazing out at sea, they've got you covered. If you like sipping wine or chugging unlimited soda, they've got you covered. If you like taking a Pilates class or eating double portions, they've got you covered. If you like staying in touch with electronic devices or dropping out from the world for a week, they've got you covered. If you like dressing for dinner or not, they've got you covered. If you want a table for two or eight, they've got you covered.

We have been happy with Princess. But we are pretty satisfied with our lives in general! ;)

I found the MDR foor, especially on the Diamond to be outstanding. Our waiters, including the head waiter, were the best ever. Also really enjoyed the full suite perks of breakfast at Sabatinis and the free internet.....:):):)

Bob

Sailaweigh: I don't think I can tell if *you* will like Princess, and I definitely don't have the cruise experience you have, but here is why I like Princess... I like the way that they have something for just about everyone. If you like dining in a cafeteria or in a dining room, they've got you covered. If you like partying at the pool or resting in the Sanctuary, they've got you covered. If you like comedians or musicians, or even if you like peace and quiet gazing out at sea, they've got you covered. If you like sipping wine or chugging unlimited soda, they've got you covered. If you like taking a Pilates class or eating double portions, they've got you covered. If you like staying in touch with electronic devices or dropping out from the world for a week, they've got you covered. If you like dressing for dinner or not, they've got you covered. If you want a table for two or eight, they've got you covered.

We have been happy with Princess. But we are pretty satisfied with our lives in general! ;)

Such a great description. Princess may not be a 6* line, but it definitely 5* in all departments.

I feel that part of their success over (let's say) a Carnival is that it's designed in such way, that it's possible to provide different entertainment for all tastes.

It starts from the pool set up. You have:

1) Quite Adult pool (actually two of them, but I preffer Terrace)

2) Calypso pool, where during the day you can watch movies on MUTS or pool games

3) Neptune's Reef and Pool with band music at certain times.

4) Lotus spa pool, also a quiet place. I cannot say about all ships, but on Ruby there was "swim against the current" machine.

5) Teen pool and jacuzzies

6) Kids pool

You can always pick the one that is better suites your needs. Also because of so many pools which are for kids/families you can have adult pools for yourselves - and security is actually enforcing this rule.

My biggest problem on Carnival was that everybody, no EVERYBODY was at the same pool area at the same time, including the kids jumping on your head in both pools, kids in every single jacuzzi.

Again. Entertainment. You have so many choices for every taste.

We sailed on Caribbean right after (I missed my DH cruise on NCL) a cruise on Carnival Liberty, and loved overall experience so much better!!!

Thanks.. You all have convinced me. I've booked us for the Jan. 17th - 10 day Eastern cruise. Now I I have keep my mouth closed for the next couple months so I can surprise my hubby. I'm not good at keeping things from him...I have no filter!!!

As to the gym, it depends on the ship and what time of day you go. My mother and I visit the gym first thing every morning onboard. Port days are much less crowded than sea days, but we always get there at or when they open to guarantee a treadmill. If you are not there when they open, and show up even five minutes later on some ships you can't get one.

Some ships have had signup sheets, which is when you were required to do only 30 minutes before someone else would have "their" time slot. Not a problem for me, but Mom likes to do 45 minutes. On other ships, where there has not been a signup sheet, you could be on as long as you wished without strong enforcement by the gym staff.

I'd say if you are on a ship where the age skews a little younger/fitter crowd, or on sea days try to be there before they open or go at off times. Mornings are most crowded in my experience, afternoons it seems much more empty...

1) How does the food compare to Carnivals? If is it better, how is is better and vice versa.

We prefer the food on Princess. Prefer the soups on Princess to Carnival. WAY better pastries and deserts on Princess compare to Carnival. The buffet is open 24 hrs a day. Most hours it is the Horizon Court although the Cafe Caribe (Caribe is not on all ships but is on the Emerald) is open during dinner hours. DH is not normally a buffet eater but he enjoys the buffet on Princess. We love the International Cafe for lunch or a snack other times of the day on the Princess ships that have it.

2) How are the shows at night? I read that they aren't worth going to. We enjoy Carnival's show, how do they compare?

the Productions shows are as good as Carnival's if not better. All depends on the show. Our experience has been one needs to get to the theater earlier on Princess than on Carnival to find a seat on the first night of a show. Most Production shows are shown two nights and if they are, much easier to find a seat on the second night. Comedians, hynotist, other entertainers pretty much the same as on Carnival. There is no midnight adults only comedy show as on Carnival.

3) The gym...I heard is was crowded and they limit your time on the treadmill and other cardio machines. We both do an hour on the machine each day and that would be a problem.

Sorry, can't help on this question.

4)I've read of unfriendly staff...is that a reliable opinion or was that from a disgruntle passenger.

Disgruntled passenger remark. Great staff on Princess. It's impossible for all crew to be exactly the same, there's always going to be some better than others on every ship, along with some more outgoing and some more reserved on every ship. Individuals are what makes the difference and we've had great ones on Princess and on Carnival. Actually the only bad one that sticks out in my mind was our one poor room steward on one Carnival cruise and that would never make me say Carnival's was any worse than Princess.;)

If you go with an open mind knowing that your experience will be slightly different than on your Carnival cruises you should have a great time. If you're anything like us you'll find that there will likely be things you'll miss from Carnival and different things you'll love about Princess. You've picked a great ship and a great itinerary so I hope you enjoy your new cruise experience!

Thanks.

1. Loved the food on Princess when we were on the Crown in April. The International Cafe was a plus for us (great snacks)and the pizza was better than any other ship I have been on. The food in the main dining room was awesome every night.

2. Shows were really just OK for me. Not very elaborate scenery or costumes, but the entertainers were all good, so I can't fault that area. Have seen some very elaborate shows on other cruise lines. But the other aprties they had on the ship with the staff were really fun. I loved the Island night party they had, where everyone got streamers to throw at the end of the party. Reminded me of the Love Boat TV series. The piano bar was allot of fun also. Bert Stratton was the entertainer and he kept us laughing with his silliness.

3. Depends on when you choose to go to the gym. I always went at 3pm everyday and it was empty, so I loved it. I was able to use the treadmill and weights with a very limited amount of people using the gym.

4. LOVED the staff on the Crown!! Interacted with them allot and they were wonderful. Very personable and really got people involved from the first day of the cruise to the last.

5. Overall view of Princess, was that we are going back to Princess again in Oct., because we enjoyed so much about them. Prior to the April cruise, we had not been on Princess since 2007, choosing Carnival , RCCL, and HAL instead. Love to get dressed for dinner and experience an elegant atmosphere, so I don't think I would choose Carnival anymore. But that is why CCL has so many options to choose from. I don't think you will be disappointed in a Princess cruise. We certainly weren't. (By the way, my husband and I are very young 59ish year olds) LOL

As to the gym' date=' it depends on the ship and what time of day you go. My mother and I visit the gym first thing every morning onboard. Port days are much less crowded than sea days, but we always get there at or when they open to guarantee a treadmill. If you are not there when they open, and show up even five minutes later on some ships you can't get one.

Some ships have had signup sheets, which is when you were required to do only 30 minutes before someone else would have "their" time slot. Not a problem for me, but Mom likes to do 45 minutes. On other ships, where there has not been a signup sheet, you could be on as long as you wished without strong enforcement by the gym staff.

I'd say if you are on a ship where the age skews a little younger/fitter crowd, or on sea days try to be there before they open or go at off times. Mornings are most crowded in my experience, afternoons it seems much more empty...[/quote']

You indicated you are traveling on the Dec 8 cruise to Hawaii. Please let me know so I can update the member list at my website.

Archived