Jeans....need help

robthens

I wear Old Navy "sweetheart" (at waist) and new "Dreamer" slimming jeans.

Old Navy has short, regular and tall lengths. Try on 2-3 different sizes your true size and one bigger and smaller number. All the jeans are cut differently. Also darker wash jeans look better than light stone washed (so 80's-90's) better on me. I have been wearing old navy jeans for over 12 years, they really hold up in the wash. Good luck with your search

p.s. I do not work for old navy I am just brand loyal to their product

I love L.L. Bean jeans -- I'm talking about their regular Double L brand. They do sit at the waist and they do fit true to size at the waist. I wear the Classic fit which is the slimmest cut, and the hips fit me fine but the seat/upper thighs fit me maybe a tad loosely. However, they have two other cuts (can't recall the names: Relaxed? Natural?) that are definitely cut looser in the hip/seat/thigh area. All come in petite lengths. That said, I'm short (5'3") and buy the regular length, which aren't that long, because these will shrink up in length over time and I can always roll them up a little until they shrink up. Only the length shrinks; I've never had a problem with the rest of the pant not fitting over time.

What I like about them so much is that they do fit at the proper waist, not low and not too high, they come in three or four washes, they've a nice feel (soft but not flimsy), and they look like normal, generic jeans -- nothing fancy, nothing trendy, no flared leg or extra skinny leg. Plus they're practically indestructable! I have two pair that I wear week in and week out throughout the fall/winter and they still look brand new. They're just excellent quality.

If you don't have a store near you, they're quite easy to deal with via online/mail, and their size descriptions and charts on the website are very accurate. I both live near one and have ordered online and been happy either way.

Good luck. The search for the perfect pair of jeans can be long and arduous!

You may have to buy a larger size and have them tailored to fit you....pick the style and wash you like, then take them to a tailor! It's worth it to have jeans that fit well! (and you should rethink the "waist" thing...just below your navel is a much nicer look!

cb, not everyone likes their jeans below the waist. Including me.

My center is heavy and I wear my jeans at my natural waist and that

is how I like them. So when you say its a much nicer look? Not on

everyone, in my opinion.

cb, not everyone likes their jeans below the waist. Including me.

My center is heavy and I wear my jeans at my natural waist and that

is how I like them. So when you say its a much nicer look? Not on

everyone, in my opinion.

I agree! I have a few pairs of Levis (I can't remember the number) they are the CURVEY fit. Very hard to find in my 4 petite, but well worth the search. They not only fit at the waist but they are slightly higher in the back so that when you bend they don't ride down :o at my age no one needs to see my undies :). I have a umm well lets just say I must have been in line twice when back sides were being handed out. I also have thick legs (not so much fat but thick) and a smaller waist. So finding jeans that are small enough in the waist yet fit in the seat and thigh is VERY difficult!! I love these jeans! Oh they also don't have skinny legs they are more of a boot cut.

I agree! I have a few pairs of Levis (I can't remember the number) they are the CURVEY fit. Very hard to find in my 4 petite, but well worth the search. They not only fit at the waist but they are slightly higher in the back so that when you bend they don't ride down :o at my age no one needs to see my undies :). I have a umm well lets just say I must have been in line twice when back sides were being handed out. I also have thick legs (not so much fat but thick) and a smaller waist. So finding jeans that are small enough in the waist yet fit in the seat and thigh is VERY difficult!! I love these jeans! Oh they also don't have skinny legs they are more of a boot cut.

Life is funny;)....we are all built so differently. You and I are totally

opposite when it comes to sizing but we both like our jeans at our

waist:D

That business about jeans looking better that hit below the waist is a moot point when one wears a top that covers the waist.:D

Not really, as the rise is still affected. Different rises will look good on different people - depends on our body shapes, short vs long-waistedness, etc.

Guest maddycat

I love Lee Riders' jeans (99% cotton, 1% spandex). Dark, dark navy. They're relaxed fit so there is a little more room throught the tummy area. The thighs fit well.............they aren't baggy. The weight is great..............not too heavy. They come in petite. I usually buy them at K-Mart but have also picked them up at Kohl's.

Not really, as the rise is still affected. Different rises will look good on different people - depends on our body shapes, short vs long-waistedness, etc.

The rise is the distance between the crotch and the waistband, which I'm sure you know. Afterall, that's why they're called low rise. Therefore, the waistband will either sit higher or lower depending on that distance. The pockets on the back of low rise jeans will be lower and that helps to make them look better, there's not a huge expanse of fabric on the derriere. But if you're wearing a top out over the waist, they are't going to look much different other than some of the pocket showing.

Wearing a top that is tucked in is a whole different story and that's when, IMO, different rises look better on some than others.;)

I think anyone would be hard pressed to tell where the waist is sitting on this person.:D

157507_w_s.jpg

Looking for a brand of jeans that meet the following:

- sit @ the waist

- size 8 in the waist

- size 10 in the hips

- short

- no mail-order

Hope someone can help.

Fashion Bug has a new line of "right fit" pants (including jeans) in both misses and plus sizes. I have several friends with the "tiny waist" issue you described and they have been able to get a great fit with these jeans. No waist gap :)

I think anyone would be hard pressed to tell where the waist is sitting on this person.:D

157507_w_s.jpg

I think the rise & waist position matter, no matter how you wear your tops. And yes, I can make a guess exactly where I think those jeans hit her waist. But that's neither here nor there with this poster's question.

Years ago I liked the Levi's 550 for it's nipped in waist and roomier hips/thighs, but would not wear the tapered leg today (I too have an hourglass shape and need a narrow waist with curves for hips & thighs - it's hard for me to find and one reason I don't wear jeans often. Those I do have a lower waist; I prefer a mid-rise) I like the St John's Bay jean from JC Penney - they do have a classic fit that sits at the waist: http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?deptid=50434&catid=64561&grptyp=SIZ&itemid=1832cf1&dep=Women&pcat=Jeans&cat=St.+John%27s+Bay&refpagename=XGN%252Easpx&refdeptid=70656&refcatid=71641&cmAMS_T=XGN3&cmAMS_C=FEATURE&cmAMS_Z=XGN3ABOVEPAGINATION&CmCatId=70656|71641

They come in short, and if you have a good large JC Penney nearby, you should be able to find them in stock/ try them on.

(I prefer the straight leg with a lower waist)

I second Lee Riders. I bought a pair of capris and loved them! I also have a smaller waist than hips and they fit very well and were very slimming. My favorite jeans are the Coldwater Creek ones with a bit of spandex. They do sit slightly below the waist but they do have some that are at the natural waist too. They have just a bit of stretch.

Honestly though, the Riders are cheaper and easier to find so I think I am going to get a pair of Rider jeans this fall. :)

OP,

There's probably no way around it....you're going to have to try on jeans. People can make recommendations and it's a place to start, but what fits them doesn't necesarily mean they will fit you.

Hope you didn't think I would buy something without trying it on (especially jeans) Not necessary for you to respond.

I really appreciate the posts that are making suggestion.

Hope you didn't think I would buy something without trying it on (especially jeans) Not necessary for you to respond.

I really appreciate the posts that are making suggestion.

If you don't like some responses, perhaps you could set out guidelines in your first post about exactly what type of answers you will allow. Good luck finding jeans that fit.

If you don't like some responses, perhaps you could set out guidelines in your first post about exactly what type of answers you will allow. Good luck finding jeans that fit.

Goodness me....what was that all about, that post sure confused me?:confused: I sure wasn't inferring that she wouldn't try on jeans, just trying to make the point that what is great for someone doesn't mean it will fit them and they would have to try on lots to find THE ONES. BTW, I know any number of people who only shop online without trying.....was even with someone yesterday who picked up a pair of jeans in the store without trying.;):)

Goodness me....what was that all about, that post sure confused me?:confused: I sure wasn't inferring that she wouldn't try on jeans, just trying to make the point that what is great for someone doesn't mean it will fit them and they would have to try on lots to find THE ONES. BTW, I know any number of people who only shop online without trying.....was even with someone yesterday who picked up a pair of jeans in the store without trying.;):)

iheart, I don't believe that post was directed at you but at the gal

who said "that it was not necessary for you to respond"......

personally, I think she was out of line for telling you that too.:eek: Its

a public message board and your reply was not rude or anything.

iheart, I don't believe that post was directed at you but at the gal

who said "that it was not necessary for you to respond"......

personally, I think she was out of line for telling you that too.:eek: Its

a public message board and your reply was not rude or anything.

Hi Lois,

It was hard to respond correctly and I was worried that I wouldn't get it quite right. I was quoting 6rugrats asking her what was with the OP.;) Thanks for not thinking I was rude because I was certainly not tyring to be rude.:)

Hi Lois,

It was hard to respond correctly and I was worried that I wouldn't get it quite right. I was quoting 6rugrats asking her what was with the OP.;) Thanks for not thinking I was rude because I was certainly not tyring to be rude.:)

I know you weren't. I thought you basically saying its always best

to try jeans on in person which I usually agree with:D but I found a pair

via QVC and ordered them and guess what? They fit perfectly:)!!!

I know you weren't. I thought you basically saying its always best

to try jeans on in person which I usually agree with:D but I found a pair

via QVC and ordered them and guess what? They fit perfectly:)!!!

Good for you, it's always great when something like that works, even better when they're perfect.:)

Archived