I have an moral ethical issue

Dog Drool

I have knee problems If I over do it or weather is funky I wear a brace not a small discrete fits under the trousers but a mid calf to thigh with metal and hinges. It takes up a lot of room to pack If I was to wear it on the plane and at embarkation I will most lilkey get special treatment board the plane first ect Is this fair? I would not wear it on ship unless needed so some people will see me both ways

You may get to get on the plane before others, but the ship doesn't board "en masse"...they allow folks on as they arrive...no special treatment there!

Of course, if they offer, you can always say, "Thanks, but I'm fine!" And, on the ship, you're unlikely to see the same people more than once....and few will notice at all.

When we cruised Alaska I took a big heavy coat I couldn't pack so I wore it. I did not wear it 24/7. You have a brace you can't pack so wear it. If it gets you on the plane sooner, it won't be a problem for anyone else. Pre-boarding is for people who have mobility issues. Hey, the weather might be "funky" that day anyway, right?

Smooth sailing!

I don't see any moral or ethical issue here at all (and I was chair of the boar of ethics for a large city, for 11 years.) You have a medical issue that sometimes means you need to wear the brace, sometimes not. SO?

If you're wearing it on the day of your flight, then take advantage of the early boarding, as you'll likely need time to maneuver to your seat, and adjust the brace so your leg will fit in the tiny cramped space. And if you get to the ship wearing the brace, take advantage of "handicap boarding" -- look for a rep from Hollad America and ask for early boarding, as it will take you awhile to maneuver up the gangway. It's likely they'll come with a wheelchair to assist you, and push you to the head of the line.

Once on board, if you find you don't need the brace, then don't wear it. And ignore what other people may think..or say. They're the rude ones.

There was a time when I needed my cane for every shore excursion, but never needed it around the ship. I didn't give a thought that it should be of consequence to anyone else.

Neither is your brace. So, you might get on the plane first? It's not like you're taking someone else's seat because of it. Plane won't leave until everyone's on.

Dog Drool (I love this name!!)

My husband has a similar problem when we travel. He occasionally gets gout and has a foot/lower leg walking boot to wear when it hits. He usually wears it when we fly to vacations because it is too hard to pack. He just takes the early boarding and doesn't worry about it! Once we get to ship, it gets stored in closet until he needs it (hasn't happened yet).

Wear your brace, be prepared for funky weather, forget what others think and enjoy your cruise. Your medical condition is none of their business.

ML

I don't think there is a moral/ethical issue at all.

I have COPD, and need wheelchair assistance at airports as I can't walk the long distances.

On ship, I do walk where I need to go, albeit sometimes a slow pace. Our last cruise, I did request wheelchair assistance at debarkation, again because of the potential of a long walk.

I have a bum ankle that can be fine one minute, but almost useless the next. I sometimes wear a brace - sometimes I don't. It depends on how much support I need at any given moment. I have sometimes traveled on planes without my brace, but still taken the early boarding option if the ankle is acting up. There may be no visible indication of my disability, and I am sure some people have judged me as a "faker" because of it, but I really don't let it bother me. I may be walking perfectly fine without a limp and then all of a sudden it gives and I am in a whole new ball game. I would rather take the early boarding with dirty looks and avoid possible "triggers" of a throng of people who may jostle me, than chance it with the main group and find halfway there that I am in trouble and need assistance - which would only frustrate and annoy the other passengers even more.

On the other hand, there have been times when I have been wearing my brace and chose not to take early boarding as I did not need the extra assistance. You can choose what level of consideration you need at the specific moment in time when it is encountered.

My ankle is a legitimate issue - I am classified as legally disabled - and it is just one of a number of physical issues I deal with every day. What level of assistance I need is up to me, and I have learned not to let other's opinions of what that should be sway me. I am the only one who knows what it may be at that specific moment, and I will accept or decline additional help as I see fit.

If someone else wants to judge or label me because of their "perception" of my abilities, that is their choice, but I will not allow them to influence me and my choices. I have way too many other issues to have to deal with on a day to day basis and don't have any extra energy to give to worrying about how THEY feel. I do not impose myself or my needs on others, I just do what I need to get through the day with a sense of dignity, a minimum of pain, and as much enjoyment as I can.

Your brace is a legitimate aid that you require on occasion. You are being smart and pro-active in taking it with you on your trip. If the best way to pack that specific piece of luggage is on your person, and it therefore requires you to use the early boarding option, don't worry about it. It is both morally and ethically fine. That brace and your need for it are precisely what early boarding is for - you deserve it as much as the next person. You are not overstepping it's intent, nor are you impeding or detracting from anyone else's enjoyment of their trip.

I am a very positive, upbeat person who loves life and enjoys my independence. Your concern sounds much like what I felt the first few times I used the service, but after talking with my doctor, and my nephew's wife (an airline stewardess), I soon came to realize that I really do have some mobility issues and should not feel bad about using (not abusing) certain privileges available to me to make my life somewhat easier. Lord only knows it isn't always, so I am just as entitled as anyone else with disabilities to avail myself of the services.

Wear your brace, take advantage of early boarding, and arrive for your cruise in comfort knowing you have your trusty brace with you if you need it, and you haven't been charged unnecessarily for extra baggage. The morality and ethics police should have no problems with you, and if they do - ignore them. Unless one of them can show me the signed contract from HAL appointing them to that position, I choose to believe they are just a bunch of meddlers who I don't have the time to play with. I will be too busy playing with those other passengers who, like me, are there to enjoy our beautiful slice of heaven bestowed upon us that we have so very little time to make the best of. Good luck and enjoy your trip. :)

" The morality and ethics police should have no problems with you, and if they do - ignore them. Unless one of them can show me the signed contract from HAL appointing them to that position, I choose to believe they are just a bunch of meddlers who I don't have the time to play with. I will be too busy playing with those other passengers who, like me, are there to enjoy our beautiful slice of heaven bestowed upon us that we have so very little time to make the best of. Good luck and enjoy your trip. :)

Seems there are no morality police on this thread, at least so far. Everyone is in agreement, for once. There are many handicaps that aren't visible and each person has to do what is right for themselves.

Certainly not a moral issue - it could be an ethical issue -- but only if YOU make it one. You are the only one who knows whether you need special treatment -- if you accept special treatment when you do not need it (ie getting ahead of others when everyone is equally eager to board - be it ship or plane) and you know you do not need it, then you are the one to make the ethics call, because you are the only one to know the facts.

I'd assume that you'd make the right call.

I don't see what other option you have. You might need the brace, you might not. You have to take it and wearing it is better than attempting to pack it.

There might not be any advantage to wearing the brace at check-in with HAL. We've experienced a (MUCH) longer handicap check-in in San Diego than we would have had with the 'regular' check-in line. There is no way to predict.

Good luck!

I have a bum ankle that can be fine one minute, but almost useless the next. I sometimes wear a brace - sometimes I don't. It depends on how much support I need at any given moment. I have sometimes traveled on planes without my brace, but still taken the early boarding option if the ankle is acting up. There may be no visible indication of my disability, and I am sure some people have judged me as a "faker" because of it, but I really don't let it bother me. I may be walking perfectly fine without a limp and then all of a sudden it gives and I am in a whole new ball game. I would rather take the early boarding with dirty looks and avoid possible "triggers" of a throng of people who may jostle me, than chance it with the main group and find halfway there that I am in trouble and need assistance - which would only frustrate and annoy the other passengers even more.

On the other hand, there have been times when I have been wearing my brace and chose not to take early boarding as I did not need the extra assistance. You can choose what level of consideration you need at the specific moment in time when it is encountered.

My ankle is a legitimate issue - I am classified as legally disabled - and it is just one of a number of physical issues I deal with every day. What level of assistance I need is up to me, and I have learned not to let other's opinions of what that should be sway me. I am the only one who knows what it may be at that specific moment, and I will accept or decline additional help as I see fit.

If someone else wants to judge or label me because of their "perception" of my abilities, that is their choice, but I will not allow them to influence me and my choices. I have way too many other issues to have to deal with on a day to day basis and don't have any extra energy to give to worrying about how THEY feel. I do not impose myself or my needs on others, I just do what I need to get through the day with a sense of dignity, a minimum of pain, and as much enjoyment as I can.

Your brace is a legitimate aid that you require on occasion. You are being smart and pro-active in taking it with you on your trip. If the best way to pack that specific piece of luggage is on your person, and it therefore requires you to use the early boarding option, don't worry about it. It is both morally and ethically fine. That brace and your need for it are precisely what early boarding is for - you deserve it as much as the next person. You are not overstepping it's intent, nor are you impeding or detracting from anyone else's enjoyment of their trip.

I am a very positive, upbeat person who loves life and enjoys my independence. Your concern sounds much like what I felt the first few times I used the service, but after talking with my doctor, and my nephew's wife (an airline stewardess), I soon came to realize that I really do have some mobility issues and should not feel bad about using (not abusing) certain privileges available to me to make my life somewhat easier. Lord only knows it isn't always, so I am just as entitled as anyone else with disabilities to avail myself of the services.

Wear your brace, take advantage of early boarding, and arrive for your cruise in comfort knowing you have your trusty brace with you if you need it, and you haven't been charged unnecessarily for extra baggage. The morality and ethics police should have no problems with you, and if they do - ignore them. Unless one of them can show me the signed contract from HAL appointing them to that position, I choose to believe they are just a bunch of meddlers who I don't have the time to play with. I will be too busy playing with those other passengers who, like me, are there to enjoy our beautiful slice of heaven bestowed upon us that we have so very little time to make the best of. Good luck and enjoy your trip. :)

What a wonderful response, my DH has some of the same issues.

We will be on the 11/22/10 Rotterdam, too bad we couldn't meet.

I think it would be morally unethical to wear a brace you don't need or to wear someone else's brace in order to get special treatment. To wear your own brace? Not at all. And one you may need during your trip. I don't see a problem with that. If you don't need extra help you can always politely say "no thanks."

I have knee problems If I over do it or weather is funky I wear a brace not a small discrete fits under the trousers but a mid calf to thigh with metal and hinges. It takes up a lot of room to pack If I was to wear it on the plane and at embarkation I will most lilkey get special treatment board the plane first ect Is this fair? I would not wear it on ship unless needed so some people will see me both ways

Thanks every one I will not feel bad about wearing my brace and then stowing it in the closet and hope I do not need it. Planning on enjoying my cruise

Dog Drool: (I live with that 3 fold)

Seems to be unanimous that you really don't have a morality or ethics issue.

But, how noble of you to be concerned and ask for feedback ! !

Just FYI: if you wish you could also carry your brace on the plane with no penalty for weight or extra baggage.

It is a "medical device" and thus is exempt from all charges, overages, fees, etc. This would also include any carrying case and special socks, garments, accessories and adjusting tools, etc.

So please travel comfortably and with a very clear conscience.

r.

Well on a practical level I don't know how else you would get the brace there if you were not wearing it ....I have one and unless you took a steamer trunk it would not fit in the suitcase, you couldn't check it independently for fear it would get bent and then be worse than useless....

so unless you plan to use the velcro to tie the thing around your neck (and you are going to look pretty silly throwing yourself on the belt to go through the scanner at security!!) I can't figure out how in the world you would get the brace to your destination unless you wear it.

And it seems to me that wearing the brace and having to lug it around everywhere just to get on a plane 4 minutes early or get a ride up the ramp of the ship would be WAY more trouble than it was worth.... it would never occur to me that someone might go to all that trouble for a tiny bit of extra assistance....so I say wear it until you get to your cabin and hope it stays in the closet until you have to put it back on to get it home!

There was a time when I needed my cane for every shore excursion, but never needed it around the ship. I didn't give a thought that it should be of consequence to anyone else.

Neither is your brace. So, you might get on the plane first? It's not like you're taking someone else's seat because of it. Plane won't leave until everyone's on.

Exactly what I was thinking, I don't care if you get on the plane before I do.

Kirk

Well on a practical level I don't know how else you would get the brace there if you were not wearing it ....I have one and unless you took a steamer trunk it would not fit in the suitcase, you couldn't check it independently for fear it would get bent and then be worse than useless....

so unless you plan to use the velcro to tie the thing around your neck (and you are going to look pretty silly throwing yourself on the belt to go through the scanner at security!!) I can't figure out how in the world you would get the brace to your destination unless you wear it.

And it seems to me that wearing the brace and having to lug it around everywhere just to get on a plane 4 minutes early or get a ride up the ramp of the ship would be WAY more trouble than it was worth.... it would never occur to me that someone might go to all that trouble for a tiny bit of extra assistance....so I say wear it until you get to your cabin and hope it stays in the closet until you have to put it back on to get it home!

I agree.

And remember, if wearing the brace slows you down as you get on the plane and get to your seat, the early boarding gives you that time. Once they start calling regular boarding, many more people are moving down those narrow aisles (or trying to). If you're slowed down by the brace, getting into your seat early is doing the rest of the passengers a favor. I'd much rather stand in the terminal while people in need of assistance board than be squished in the jetway or aisle by people trying to push forward while someone moves slowly ahead of me.

So, using the early boarding on the plane is actually virtuous. :)

Use it if you need it. That's why they give that option.

Enjoy your cruise!

I too have a similiar brace (unloader brace). I might get on the plane faster but sure take a, longer time going through security. Usually security at the shsip isn't a problem. Without the brace I would not be able to go on a cruise. It is my best friend and has been for a long time.

No one ever mentions a disadvantage of needing help when traveling. You may get on the plane first, but you're last off. (This can be a problem if you have short connections.) You may seem to be getting an advantage in some ways, but if you are slower because of the brace, you're the one who is "in the way" of the able bodied who can maneuver easily and and want to walk fast. So don't worry about needing to get on first. At the other end of the flight, you make up for it. I'm one of the ones who sometimes need help and sometimes don't. People who don't know me can't always tell when I'm in trouble and need help. Like the others said, do what is best for you, and don't worry what others may think. Unfortunatley, that's sometimes easier to say than it is to do.

On our Baltic cruise, an entire family (6 people) lost all their luggage including Granddad's artificial leg. When we met them for the return flight, they still hadn't received them. So, if you don't want to lose it, wear it. For my sake, you can board before me. No problem.

Archived