A never to be repeated cruise

BosoxI

OK, enough about all the wonderful cruises we've taken. Is there a cruise you would not repeat. I don't mean because the ship stank, but because of the places visited. I will not return to Alaska, once is enough. I enjoyed the trip while it lasted but I see no reason to go back.

OK, enough about all the wonderful cruises we've taken. Is there a cruise you would not repeat. I don't mean because the ship stank, but because of the places visited. I will not return to Alaska, once is enough. I enjoyed the trip while it lasted but I see no reason to go back.

We feel the opposite, Alaska is one I could repeat over and over...already have our 5th cruise to Alaska booked for next year.

There was one cruise that I did not enjoy, but more so because of our room location than anything else. We were on the Crown Princess and booked a guaranteed balcony cabin. We were assigned to a room directly under the Trident Grill on the Riviera deck. No sleep the entire cruise, which can ruin even the best cruise. Live and learn...we now always hand pick our room, even though it might cost more.

Other than that....we have enjoyed every cruise we have been on (# 33 coming up). There might be ports of call that I do not find enjoyable but in those instances, we just stay on the ship and enjoy the solitude.

I loved Alaska and would go back anytime, now Jamica, I would stay on the ship and not get off, but I would not let Jamica stop me from taking a particular cruise, I would just stay on board and lay by the pool or in the sanctuary ;)

I too would like to know why you didn't like Alaska, did you get bored of the ship or the scenery - what excursions did you take? Help us understand your background why you didn't like it? Where are you from are you from the mtns and have seen waterfalls, snow, etc and are just bored - not being mean, just trying to help us understand :)

I don't think I'd do a Western Caribbean cruise again, or at least not without a really good reason. I was very disappointed in Belize (unless we were just shown the worst parts of the island) and Roatan was miserable. I blame my self for not doing more homework beforehand, but there are plenty of other places I'd go first before returning to this area.

I loved Alaska and would go back anytime, now Jamica, I would stay on the ship and not get off, but I would not let Jamica stop me from taking a particular cruise, I would just stay on board and lay by the pool or in the sanctuary ;)

If I were on that ship that stopped in Jamaica I'd be sitting at the pool next to you.lol

The OP never stated that he didnt like his Alaska trip. To the contrary, he said he enjoyed it while it lasted, but didnt want to repeat the trip.

I too would like to know why you didn't like Alaska, did you get bored of the ship or the scenery - what excursions did you take? Help us understand your background why you didn't like it? Where are you from are you from the mtns and have seen waterfalls, snow, etc and are just bored - not being mean, just trying to help us understand :)

Our least favorite cruise is Mexico and on the last cruise there enjoyed a beautiful day in Cabo on the ship. We also prefer cruises with lots of sea days and a port every once in a while. We will be doing Hawaii next Feb and probably won't get off the ship in Ensenada. Loved Alaska and have been there 2xs. Also love TransAtlantics. Lots of sea days.

I would not sail a Western Caribbean itinerary again unless the price was dirt cheap and then I would just stay on the ship. I didn't like the beaches at any of the ports. The best port of call was Princess Cays. The cruise it’s self was great.

Mexico for sure. We have been there done that. We really like the Carribean and thats because when it it -15 here it is always warm there. We have done the Caribbean 23 times and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Caribbean. Been there twice that is plenty. There are too many fascinating places to see around the world.

I agree Paul. The Caribbean is great if you like the beach and water sports. If you have seen one palm tree you have seen them all. At this point in my life that's what I enjoy. Someday I look forward to longer itineraries in exotic places but right now I have to help put the kids through college so bargain Caribbean itineraries is where I'm at. DW has plans for us to retire in Florida (how original :rolleyes:) with the idea of being close to port to sail in the Caribbean. At that point I personally don't think that I would have a desire to be in the Caribbean. I have no desire now to sail Canada/New England living here in NY.

Oh, I too could miss Jamaica anytime.... stay on the ship

We enjoyed what we did in Jamaica...Botanical Gardens and nice tour with Marva ???..sorry can't remember her last name...but like most I don't care to go back!!

Another island was Guadalupe.... if you wanted to buy anything at their specialty stores.... you would have to knock on the doors to be let in...... they kept their doors locked. That was not to me a safe place to visit.

i do have to say that these islands would not stop me from booking a cruise if they were on the itinerary... I enjoy just being on the ship!!!

Contrary to OP, I will repeat Alaska again but this time do a land vacation or add on a land tour to the cruise. Alaska is so beautiful and offers much to explore but I felt the cruise itself didn't spend enough time in the ports. Not the fault of the cruise, just the nature of the beast.

Add my voice to avoiding Jamaica and western caribbean routes.

Having been to Alaska 15 times and about to go for the 17th & 18th time, I think I am just about Alaska'ed out but it is just so convenient for us here in the Vancouver area to get on a ship and go. Probably the one place that I would not care to go back to is Trinidad...just didn't feel comfortable there at all.

I did B2B cruises covering much of the coastline of South America. They were wonderful, but I don't need to do them again. Also New Zealand...twice was enough. Also the western Mediterranean- once was enough. Not that I didn't like these cruises, but I don't need to do them again.

We cruise for one of two reasons: 1.) to see new places or 2.) to escape our winters. We also love the water, beaches, palm trees, diving and snorkeling. When it comes to "new places", there's only three left on my bucket list that I must visit one day, so we end up doing a lot of Caribbean cruises to escape the cold.

I was also a bit tired of the Western Caribbean, but have to admit that the Crown itineray is really quite good for beach people.

.............DW has plans for us to retire in Florida (how original :rolleyes:) with the idea of being close to port to sail in the Caribbean. At that point I personally don't think that I would have a desire to be in the Caribbean. I have no desire now to sail Canada/New England living here in NY.

Funny you say that...we are from N.E. area and have been living in Ft Lauderdale

area since the early '80's but just started cruising (go figure)

We now look forward to cruising New England/Canada in the summer/fall.

I must say that living in beautiful South FLorida...we may have a different

opinion of Caribbean cruise destinations than say...someone from

the Frozen North Country.

While geography/water/climate of the islands still takes your breathe away,

the politics/economic conditions and the constant 'sell you something' attitude

of the cruise ports is a turn off to us.

I understand why many veteran cruisers here say, "Stay on the ship".

To each their own.

Happy sailing.

:cool::)

Archived