Cruise lines: time to provide unlimited FREE WIFI

mikran

Would you select a cruiseline with free WIFI over one that doesn't?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Would you select a cruiseline with free WIFI over one that doesn't?

• Absolutely!
    • Not a chance!
    • I don't care either way.

We recently completed a 12-night Med cruise aboard Ruby Princess. As Platinum members of their Captain's Circle Program, we each received a $100 free internet credit, but I still had to purchase more. At 50 cents or more per minute with an often times painfully slow connection, it didn't take long to use up the 'free' credit, and that was just for basic email and some photo uploads.

Cruise lines continue to charge exhorbitant rates for internet access onboard. Here's a suggestion that I sent to Princess and advised them that I would also be posting on here on cruisecritic.com:

If offering unlimited FREE WIFI internet onboard is not something cruise lines will offer to their passengers, then why can't they partner up with their port authorities and ask them to offer it onboard when the ship is in port?

Along with many other passengers today I too disembark and try to find a safe, free WIFI zone like Starbucks or McDonalds for example, and use the internet there - as well as buying THEIR products while I'm there.

Wouldn't it be more profitable (not to mention better service and value for passengers) if cruise lines did this, even if only in bars and lounges (although I would highly encourage no WIFI dead zones on board)? That way more passengers might stay on board and use the ship's products (i.e. bar service). Starbucks is now also offering exclusive free content to their customers. Cruise lines could do the same.

Virgin Airlines is now doing so for its passengers but I don't know of a cruise line that does this yet. Does anyone else know?

C'mon cruise lines - it's 2010 not 1910 - unlimited free WIFI is overdue. Please stop charging such outrageous fees for WIFI onboard.

cheers

Mikran

Toronto, Canada

My DW & I are Elite, so we get the same internet credit. I have never run out of minutes. I find I have plenty of time to read & send emails, check news, stocks, sports. Unless they significantly upgrade their equipment, I hope they do not offer free unlimited wifi to everyone. The additional usage would slow down the internet.

When Elite/Platinums got unlimited internet, there were people spending hours a day running a business.

Much as most of us would live free WiFi for all of us, if all I have read it true, the overload of users would make it impossible for all of us to log on for hours at will. They just cannot provide that much access.

I am sure there are some techie people who will explain all the things the ship can do to provide more access but we all know it will be pricey :) and no cruise lines I know are looking to spend money in any places that isn't a must at this point. They all seem to be cutting as much as possible.

Maybe its just me, but I work with computers all day long. I go on a cruise specifically to get away from the 'tech age'. I find it the only way I can get DH to unwind and actually relax. If he had free wi-fi my cruise would be no different than when at home.

Come on guys you are on vacation, relax and put the mouse down!

In terms of the ship there is a limitation on how much capacity is available because the communications are via satellite. Satellite not only has limitations but is also very costly. I assure you the cruise lines are not making a mint on this.

If one wants free wi fi access in port I would not look for the cruise ships to provide this. Do the research before you cruise to see what is available in port.

Keith

On our recent Baltic cruise, I noted that every port but St. Petersburg had at least one free wifi kiosk near the gate. Most of the many users appeared to me to be crew members. I surmised that had something to do with the very slow, rather expensive wifi aboard. I had purchased Boingo on an erlier cruise, and every port appeared to have access. But I decided, as suggested by akcruz, to take a vacation from continual connection.

Maybe its just me, but I work with computers all day long. I go on a cruise specifically to get away from the 'tech age'. I find it the only way I can get DH to unwind and actually relax. If he had free wi-fi my cruise would be no different than when at home.

Come on guys you are on vacation, relax and put the mouse down!

Please understand not everyone has that luxury.

My DH cannot just walk away and be unreachable while on a cruise.

Anyone who does not wish to connect should absolutely enjoy that luxury. Some folks cannot vacation away from home if they cannot be reached. We cruise about 45-60 days a year at regular intervals and we would be unable to do that were DH unable to connect to his office as needed.

(And some of us aren't 'guys'. :D )

RE-Cruise lines: time to provide unlimited FREE WIFI

I am sure you recognise that the basic cost of a cruise just covers costs. ALL profits come from the "extras".

It doesn't matter to Carnival (or any other C L) if its booze or photos or internet connection.

If this becomes free then something else must rise. I think its a good perk that you get $100 free usage

Why would the cruise line (or anyone) invest a huge amount of money for something on which they would receive no monetary return. Makes absolutely no business sense at all. Why don't you buy a new car and offer all your friends the privilege of using it free of charge?

Same principal.

Why would the cruise line (or anyone) invest a huge amount of money for something on which they would receive no monetary return. Makes absolutely no business sense at all. Why don't you buy a new car and offer all your friends the privilege of using it free of charge?

Same principal.

They would do it if they felt they would gain a competitive advantage and generate enough extra income to more than offset the additional costs.

Please understand not everyone has that luxury.

My DH cannot just walk away and be unreachable while on a cruise.

Anyone who does not wish to connect should absolutely enjoy that luxury. Some folks cannot vacation away from home if they cannot be reached. We cruise about 45-60 days a year at regular intervals and we would be unable to do that were DH unable to connect to his office as needed.

(And some of us aren't 'guys'. :D )

Believe me I get it that some people need to work while on vacation, but if you get to take 45 - 60- days a year on a ship, that's not a vacation in my mind. I am lucky if I can get a week that we can do a vacation, and for a week, its usually very do-able to step away from the electronics. I would say you are in the minority with having that much time away. Those of us with only a week or so of vacation need a place to get away from it all and right now crusing is about the only way to do that. Don't spoil it for the rest of us, please :eek::D

BTW, I am not a 'guy' either, but hey come on its just saying, chill! :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd wish they would create wifi and cell phone dead zones on the ships. Maybe they could create a free area for wifi and cell phones somewhere in the bowels :)....with no windows. Keep them away from me while on board.

I agree. Ditch public use of cellphone on ships.

A person quietly using their netbook, notebook, whatever tool is not disruptive to those around them. Someone using their computer (unless they have speakers running) is nothing like the boars screaming into their phones. I hate that like poison. :(

I agree. Ditch public use of cellphone on ships.

A person quietly using their netbook, notebook, whatever tool is not disruptive to those around them. Someone using their computer (unless they have speakers running) is nothing like the boars screaming into their phones. I hate that like poison. :(

I once wrnt to a loud speaking cell phone user and asks them to put it on speaker so I could hear both sides of the conversation.

I did not use up all my Platinum minutes earlier this month, but my DH did, including the extra 100 he purchased. We like that Princess gives us the credit--and it's one of the things we consider when looking at which cruise line to sail on.

But I think unlimited free Internet would slow things down. There were several times I could tell that the connection was very slow. I tried to keep my usage to a bare minimum during those times. My suggestion would be that instead of charging by the minute, charge by the amount of usage in terms of megabytes of data--that way a slow connection would not eat up so many minutes.

Personally, I'd wish they would create wifi and cell phone dead zones on the ships. Maybe they could create a free area for wifi and cell phones somewhere in the bowels :)....with no windows. Keep them away from me while on board.

Mind if I add walkie talkies to your list!?!

I think the OP's suggestion has merit. You could still have the slow, satellite constrained use (for a fee) while at sea, but if arrangements could be made at port stops for a lower cost, higher speed connection, why not? Most passengers get off anyway, so a heavy flood of usage probably isn't an issue. I'm not going to give up a day in Europe to check my e-mails, but if others want to, that's their business.

Believe me I get it that some people need to work while on vacation, but if you get to take 45 - 60- days a year on a ship, that's not a vacation in my mind. I am lucky if I can get a week that we can do a vacation, and for a week, its usually very do-able to step away from the electronics. I would say you are in the minority with having that much time away. Those of us with only a week or so of vacation need a place to get away from it all and right now crusing is about the only way to do that. Don't spoil it for the rest of us, please :eek::D

BTW, I am not a 'guy' either, but hey come on its just saying, chill! :rolleyes:

I can see wanting to step away from connectivity on your vacation but I found the wireless on our med cruise a welcomething. I was not working, but I enjoyed keeping in touch with family and friends occasionally during the trip. If you don't want to use it you don't have to, but not sure why you don't want it available for others,

They would do it if they felt they would gain a competitive advantage and generate enough extra income to more than offset the additional costs.

I don't think cruise ships would get more business as people book them for the cruising experience and extras like free wifi would probably not sway them.

It is similar for hotels on land, the cheaper hotels all seem to have free wireless as they must know people in that market consider the cost of wireless when choosing a hotel. The high end hotels have never had free wireless in my experience, probably since someone booking a luxury hotel doesn't care about a few more dollars for internet.

Internet in port is easy and possible with a simple fiberoptic hook up. But to offer for free or fee would dilute income from excursions. Port days are also one of the few times crew get off, more people on ship isn't necessarily good business.

At ocean forget it, satellite needs a long way to go.

Personally I don't miss it, I understand all the business needs, but if you got your crackberry and your internet is it a vacation at all?

We recently completed a 12-night Med cruise aboard Ruby Princess. As Platinum members of their Captain's Circle Program, we each received a $100 free internet credit, but I still had to purchase more. At 50 cents or more per minute with an often times painfully slow connection, it didn't take long to use up the 'free' credit, and that was just for basic email and some photo uploads.

Cruise lines continue to charge exhorbitant rates for internet access onboard. Here's a suggestion that I sent to Princess and advised them that I would also be posting on here on cruisecritic.com:

If offering unlimited FREE WIFI internet onboard is not something cruise lines will offer to their passengers, then why can't they partner up with their port authorities and ask them to offer it onboard when the ship is in port?

Along with many other passengers today I too disembark and try to find a safe, free WIFI zone like Starbucks or McDonalds for example, and use the internet there - as well as buying THEIR products while I'm there.

Wouldn't it be more profitable (not to mention better service and value for passengers) if cruise lines did this, even if only in bars and lounges (although I would highly encourage no WIFI dead zones on board)? That way more passengers might stay on board and use the ship's products (i.e. bar service). Starbucks is now also offering exclusive free content to their customers. Cruise lines could do the same.

Virgin Airlines is now doing so for its passengers but I don't know of a cruise line that does this yet. Does anyone else know?

C'mon cruise lines - it's 2010 not 1910 - unlimited free WIFI is overdue. Please stop charging such outrageous fees for WIFI onboard.

cheers

Mikran

Toronto, Canada

I think the OP's suggestion has merit. You could still have the slow, satellite constrained use (for a fee) while at sea, but if arrangements could be made at port stops for a lower cost, higher speed connection, why not? Most passengers get off anyway, so a heavy flood of usage probably isn't an issue. I'm not going to give up a day in Europe to check my e-mails, but if others want to, that's their business.

exactly! I think folks are misunderstanding and discussing unlimited option while at sea which, obviously, isn't feasibly financially for the cruise line. But to strike a deal in port with local ISP carriers to provide unlimited or even cheaper, faster internet usage, those who go to shore just to use the internet, would instead remain onboard.

This in turn, would give the cruise line more revenue in the form of A)internet usage fees (if they offered just cheaper rates and not free) they would have lost to an internet cafe on-shore and B)coffee, alcohol or other beverages purchased onboard vs losing out to purchases at the on-shore internet cafe.

Personally, i don't think unlimited & free is feasible for the cruiselines, but cheaper & faster internet might actually be a viable option. I, for one, would rather use my laptop onboard at a reduced rate, than lug it ashore and track down a wi-fi hotspot.

exactly! I think folks are misunderstanding and discussing unlimited option while at sea which, obviously, isn't feasibly financially for the cruise line. But to strike a deal in port with local ISP carriers to provide unlimited or even cheaper, faster internet usage, those who go to shore just to use the internet, would instead remain onboard.

This in turn, would give the cruise line more revenue in the form of A)internet usage fees (if they offered just cheaper rates and not free) they would have lost to an internet cafe on-shore and B)coffee, alcohol or other beverages purchased onboard vs losing out to purchases at the on-shore internet cafe.

Personally, i don't think unlimited & free is feasible for the cruiselines, but cheaper & faster internet might actually be a viable option. I, for one, would rather use my laptop onboard at a reduced rate, than lug it ashore and track down a wi-fi hotspot.

It is not in the interest of the cruise lines to strike a deal with WiFi providers in the ports to provide low cost access to passengers and crew. The cruise lines have the equipment to link to the satelites, why would they want to syphon buisness from it?

it would also be nice if we could print our boarding pass for our air, without it costing us $50.00 to do so. the lines at the airport with people getting off ship and trying to print boarding passes is crazy.

On Princess, it costs me 50 cents to print boarding passes for DW & I

Archived