Has anyone brought something special for their room steward?

scrapmamma

That was kind of what I thought...I don't think anyone meant for their gifts to be in place of a regular tip...I think the thought was something above and beyond...and the past cruises I've been on I've never given anything extra actually, and thought of doing so this time...but after hearing how ungrateful they are for anything other than cash I'll just skip it and stick to my autotip.

Nobody said they were ungrateful.

How would you feel if your boss gave you a key chain or a tee shirt for your Christmas bonus?

I thought this blog was titled "Has anyone brought something special for their room Steward?" not "how much extra should I tip above the auto-tip?"

Sure, I'll concede that they are there for the sole purpose of making money, and for the most part for there families back home. BUT with that same thought, would they keep any extra tips for themselves to spend in port? Or do they send it home and still do without? I want to give something they need, won't give away, OR send home.

I am amazed at responders who think that ALL passengers bring gifts for the crew! I would assume they get maybe 4 or 5 personal gifts per contract, If that from passengers. But get lots of dollar tips.

Why do you feel the need to decide for the crew what you think they need? If they give it away, then that means they didn't need or want it. It's really up to them if they prefer to send it home, not whether you don't want them to send it.

4 or 5 personal gifts per contract? Contracts are usually 7 months so 7 times 4 weeks....28. Someone mentioned 16 cabins so x that by 28. Out of 448, there's probably a greater percentage than 4 or 5.;)

That was kind of what I thought...I don't think anyone meant for their gifts to be in place of a regular tip...I think the thought was something above and beyond...and the past cruises I've been on I've never given anything extra actually, and thought of doing so this time...but after hearing how ungrateful they are for anything other than cash I'll just skip it and stick to my autotip.

If you were willing to spend extra buying something, why not just give them that amount in cash?:confused:

But would you rather have cash or the ornaments? I love ornaments, and buy them on every trip, but I don't want someone else buying my ornaments. Even if it's $5, I'd rather have the cash....

honestly? No...I actually prefer gifts or gift cards...I hate nothing more than getting cash as a gift, I think it's cold and thoughtless. Obviously I'm in the minority on this however. And again, I thought the point of this thread was about something above and beyond cash, apparently I was wrong on that as well.

And again, I thought the point of this thread was about something above and beyond cash, apparently I was wrong on that as well.

No - you weren't wrong. That was the thought about the thread. What others have tried to pass on though, is that the idea, no matter how thoughtful it appears - isn't. It is simple. They don't have room, they have their own needs and desires and living in such an unusual environment and style creates a different need than you might otherwise encounter. A family in some countries can live quite well on a few hundred dollars a month. It takes more for the extended family (which many also support). Most want to save to buy homes for their families and to some day be able to retire to actually LIVE with their families. Hair products, candy and/or ornaments can't replace the basic necessities of their lives, such as dwelling, food and medical care for their families.

Just give them more money....and they will be able to buy what interests them! Of course they will thank you (and then, I bet they give away or throw out most of the "baubles)...but they do share quarters with other, unrelated folks and their cabins are smaller than the smallest inside room a passenger can book.

US dollars (regular bills...not $2 or Susan B Anthony coins!!!) are the way to go. They send most of their pay and tips home....after all, that's why they're working...to support families at home!

Just curious...why not $2 and Susan B Anthony coins?

If everyone brought them a "little" gift, where do you think that they would store all that useless junk.

There have been about a gazillion threads on this on Cruise Critic.

The only gift that they want is money. To them, it is a job and if you really believe that they care about the Chicago Black Hawks, you are kidding yourself.

Treat them with respect and tip them accordingly and they will be happy.

DON

The issue seems to come down to being presumptuous. People who don't like automatic gratuities express that it is presumptuous for cruise employees to expect a certain extra amount in advance of quality service. People who object to gift-giving as a tip express the idea that it is presumptuous to think that a given gift suits a particular individual's taste, needs, and/or desires. People will always prefer to shop for themselves.

The reality is that work is an exchange for money. The vast majority of people who have worked in the service industry (myself included) would prefer any amount of cash to any object. It would be preferable to have $5 in cash than a $10 t-shirt. Yes, someone may come along and say, "I love shot glasses and key chains, and I work in service," but that is outside the norm. It is not about greed or lack of appreciation. It is simply that hard work = more money is the standard, and it is why people stand on their feet all day, handle other peoples' used bedding, touch plates with food that other people have had in their mouths, etc.

The posters who have mentioned gifts sound like very thoughtful, generous people. It is commendable to put that much thought into how you might thank someone who performs such a personal service. The honest answer is that a monetary tip is always the most appreciated. Plus, why would you want to spend money on something that someone may not want or use? It conveys, "I have difficulty parting with my money" not "I am thinking of you," since you obviously didn't know them prior to the cruise.

To answer the question about $2 bills and SBA coins, they are not commonly used, and the coins don't fit into vending machines. These say, "I am giving you something that is not very convenient to get it off my hands" not "Thank you for handling and washing my towels." Hope that $0.02 helps! :)

honestly? No...I actually prefer gifts or gift cards...I hate nothing more than getting cash as a gift, I think it's cold and thoughtless. Obviously I'm in the minority on this however. And again, I thought the point of this thread was about something above and beyond cash, apparently I was wrong on that as well.

I feel the same way. The term "cold" cash gives giving cash as a gift a whole new meaning. If you truly know me, you know my likes and dislikes so give me a gift. If you are not sure give me a gift card just don't give me cash because it will go in my wallet and I will just land up spending it on groceries or house hold items.

Just curious...why not $2 and Susan B Anthony coins?

While most US money is widely accepted in many ports (when the cruise sails from the US), those are not. Because they are uncommon, they are not widely accepted so they are harder for the crew to spend in port.

Cash is the only sensible thing to give. Trinkets etc. are not really appreciated for many reasons. The simplest gifts other than money are these things.

Remember your stewards name. They always say hello, but, most times, they don't smile because they are busy doing the same group of cabins, same things at least twice a day nonstop, 7 days a week, 12 to 14 hour days for the months of their contract.

It only takes 3 to 5 seconds to stop, smile, look them in the eyes and shake their hand. Every time that I have done this, their eyes light up and stand a little taller knowing that you recognize what they are about and that you appreciate them.

In chatting with many stewards, they set aside the extra money that they receive and send it home to their families. We keep our cabin picked up too. They don't need to stumble over shoes and dirty clothing to make the bed or vacuum the floor. Lets not even think about the bathroom duties.

They are there to make our vacation as pleasant as possible and in all of my years of work, the best feeling always came when the boss gave me a thank you and a pat on the back. The gift you never forger.

I agree with you. Cash is cold and thoughtless. This post was meant to find out if others went above and beyond to make their room attendants feel appreciated.

And the vast majority of experienced cruisers have stated - that any thing other than cash is thoughtless. If you don't want to give cash - fill out the recognition card so they can get a raise or promotion. How do you figure paying them for doing a superior job is cold? Next time you get a bonus for working hard, long hours - I hope it's not a fridge magnet or shampoo. Those items are really hard to send to the electric company to keep the power on.

I also agree that cash is a rather cold, thoughtless gift. It comes and goes quickly, and the recipient -- no matter how grateful -- won't remember it as long as he'll remember a well-chosen gift.

BUT I'm talking about gifts, gifts between friends or family. NOT a business transaction, which is what a tip is.

Just as I would not really like my husband to give me cash for my next birthday, I also wouldn't like my boss to give me a trinket-y gift instead of a bonus.

IF you feel that you must-must-must give a gift-y something to your cabin steward (in addition to your tips), make it something consumable: A small box of chocolates, a can of nuts, or a unique food item from your hometown. Even if he doesn't care for that item himself, he can share it with his roommate(s) and it won't take up space (in the dump) forever.

Twice now I've tried to be very creative and have brought a few boxes of girl scout cookies as we cruise that time of year when they are sold. Thinking that the steward would really appreciate the innovative gesture, I was met with rather confused looks as they didn't really understand the girl scout cookie concept when I explained it. I was trying to be original but like others have said, cash will win the prize every time.

Who wouldn't appreciate a bag of candy, a DVD, CD or a t-shirt in addition to cash? At least it shows you actually put some thought into it.

Me? That's who. How in the world would YOU know what kind of movie I would appreciate owning or music I would listen to. And cheap t-shirts? No thanks; I can buy my OWN. Want to put some THOUGHT into doing something nice for your steward, hand write a thank you note and add more CASH to it. Save the gifts for people you actually KNOW and who know YOU.

I spoke to some people on my last cruise and they gave their cabin stewards (there were actually 2 of them) prepaid phone cards. This is good since they are away from home and families for months and can use it to keep in touch.

No, it is not good. They can purchase pre-paid phone cards cheaper than you can and know which type of cards they need to best call their home country. Also, some of them use Skype or similar methods to call home instead of telephones, so they would have no need for the phone card. Instead of paying $5 for the phone card, give them $5 extra in cash so they can use it for something they truly need.

Reading some of these posts reminds me of people that give you gifts they think you should want, not what you really want/need. You don't know the crew and they aren't your friends. They perform a service for you.

As stated so many, many times, leave the trinkets/food/phone cards, etc. at home and give cash! Cash is not "cold and heartless". What's cold and heartless is giving someone junk. How is that thoughtful?

Can you imagine the White Elephant Party the crew would be able to have with the gifts they get from some of the passengers??? I know my family members and we even make out a "wish" list every year to pass around with sizes, etc. I use the auto tips and then I slip a few dollars extra into the hand of the room steward or waiter. This money doesn't have to go into the "pool" of tip money and they can buy whatever they want or need. I leave a special thank you note in the cabin, and I tell them I've completed the Guest Remarks section, giving special recognition to them for their great service during our cruise. The Comments and special recognition are something they can't openly solicit and mean a great deal to them in the tables they get on the cruise, promotions, etc. This is something they want and need. The personalized gifts are something meaningful to the passenger giving them, and while I'm sure they appreciate the thought, they can put the money and the Guest Remarks to better use. Make the remarks special.

Having worked on cruise ships in my younger days I appreciated cash. I really could care less about flag pins, baseball hats, team mascots, etc. They usually wound up in the garbage when I packed to go home (and that was when there were more liberal baggage allowances). What I do now is leave a tip in US$ and, if the ship is on an itinerary for a bit and making the same calls for a few more weeks, I offer (as in ask "would you be able to use for shore expenses") any local currency I have left. I have found that the local currency is appreciated for when they get off the ship they use it to buy stuff they need and can keep the US$ to send home.

The only non-cash thing I ever gave were some magnetic door decorations that I had up my cabin door just prior to Christmas. My cabin steward had been commenting on them so when I got off on Dec 22 I asked if he would like them (in addition to the cash tip). He was pleased to get them but I have no illusions that they lasted beyond Dec 27.

Archived