Has anyone brought something special for their room steward?

scrapmamma

We have auto tip set up and everyone will get their share but I was wondering if anyone has brought something special from home?

We are in Chicago and I thought wouldn't it be cool to bring a "Chicago Blackhawks" or Bears jersey or something else, put a ribbon on it and leave it on the last night. We might have a woman and I would have to bring something different.

Just a thought, as I'm sure the tip is enough but how great would it be to give a little gift as a sign of appreciation.

We have auto tip set up and everyone will get their share but I was wondering if anyone has brought something special from home?

We are in Chicago and I thought wouldn't it be cool to bring a "Chicago Blackhawks" or Bears jersey or something else, put a ribbon on it and leave it on the last night. We might have a woman and I would have to bring something different.

Just a thought, as I'm sure the tip is enough but how great would it be to give a little gift as a sign of appreciation.

The crew members have very little living space so while the idea is a very nice gesture bringing "gifts" creates a problem where to put all this stuff.

If you truly want to thank your steward with something extra, give them cash.........

Please tip in cash- the "crew" does not need out little soveneirs

Cabin stewards can clean up to 20 cabins each week- imagine of one person from each cabin did that each week-

The "crew" quarters are not as big as what we get as sailing public and these cabins get shared with sometimes with 2 other people.

Crew members appreciate the tips they get-- and the money you spent on the jersey could go in their pocket-- and more then likely will go to the enxt guest-- or in the trash-- save your cash on trinkets and give it to the person instead

But they sure do need other stuff. We always bring stuff for the staff. If they can't get off the ship to go the store, they are forced to by in the ship store witch is expensive. SO the things we like to bring is shampoo, toiletries. Dark hair scrunchies. Special candy bars and other consumables. We have also brought small things like town or city magnets that will stick to there cabin walls, cool tie tacks, but small or consumable is the key and is always appreciated (we think) more than that extra dollar. Don't wait till the end of the cruise, bring a bunch for the waitress, cabin Stuart, bar tender. They even remember you a year or two latter on another ship.

By the way - The above items aren't my choice. I ask my waitress every night what she needs if she's not going ashore at the next port - The above gifts are what they've asked me to pick up for them.

Just give them more money....and they will be able to buy what interests them! Of course they will thank you (and then, I bet they give away or throw out most of the "baubles)...but they do share quarters with other, unrelated folks and their cabins are smaller than the smallest inside room a passenger can book.

US dollars (regular bills...not $2 or Susan B Anthony coins!!!) are the way to go. They send most of their pay and tips home....after all, that's why they're working...to support families at home!

SO the things we like to bring is shampoo, toiletries. Dark hair scrunchies. Special candy bars and other consumables. We have also brought small things like town or city magnets that will stick to there cabin walls, cool tie tacks, but small or consumable is the key and is always appreciated (we think) more than that extra dollar. Don't wait till the end of the cruise, bring a bunch for the waitress, cabin Stuart, bar tender. They even remember you a year or two latter on another ship.

By the way - The above items aren't my choice. I ask my waitress every night what she needs if she's not going ashore at the next port - The above gifts are what they've asked me to pick up for them.

Can you imagine how big their cabin door would have to be - 20 cabins x 54 weeks - that's 1080 door magnets a year! Really, those things are special to YOU, not to them. They don't care where you live. Few of them wear ties and again, how many can they need?

They will remember you year to year based purely on what kind of a person you are and how you treated them. I've been on ships where the waiter came up to my daughter and said, Island Princess, Mexico, 5 years ago - you had a great time on New Years Eve! He was right too!

Rather then trinkets - as well as money - fill out those "Made a difference" cards. Those go towards raises and promotions and are much more valuable then a magnet could ever be.

fill out those "Made a difference" cards.

I agree with filling out the "special crew service" cards. But do you really think that EVERY cabin brings something for there cabin Stuarts? That they really have 1000's of magnets? And who cares if they throw it out, it was the thought that touches them.

I cruise on NCL almost exclusively. Ties are worn every day by most of the crew in the dining rooms. Its rare when I give a tie tack away that I don't see it the next day or the rest of the week.

You give your dollar, Anything is always appreciated. I'll continue to put a more personal spin to it.

- DVD make great gifts to the crew also. Do you think those get chucked into the trash, or maybe get handed and traded around the crew decks.

I feel that if the gift is over and above any cash you'd have given that it certainly is a very thoughtful and personal gesture to give a gift.

These folks aren't spoiled Americans and culturally may actually appreciate the thoughtfulness of a gift in addition to just opening up your wallet, anyone can fling money around.

Who wouldn't appreciate a bag of candy, a DVD, CD or a t-shirt in addition to cash? At least it shows you actually put some thought into it.

There are multiple threads on this issue..and always the same results..

those of us who insist that CASH really is the best; that the stewards are quite able to buy for themselves what they need/want, don't have room for junk we think "valuable", or "special", or "unique"..and appreciate getting extra cash, and comment cards filled out..

and those who think they know best, and have exactly the right bauble from home, and that their steward really appreciates whatever small/large gift they bring..

Everyone is going to do what they think best. I'm doing cash. Cash is good for everything/anything. These folks aren't held captive on the ship, after all.they do have SOME time off, and can get what they WANT and NEED..not have to move around some bauble somebody gave them.

Think about it. You're on the ship for a week -- you and 2,000 people. You leave a gift behind. Next group of 2,000. That goes on all year. Where do you REALLY think your little gifties are going??

I had read on another thread the idea of a pre-paid phone card. I thought of picking a couple of those up for my upcoming cruise. Leaving the card and bag of candy for my room steward and then a couple more for dining room staff at the end of week. I'd imagine calling home can get pricey...I also thought about maybe Itunes gift cards, but not sure if they would have Ipods. I assume they have phone access though! I'm not a big "cash" person, I like to give something slightly more thoughtful, yet useful.

I had read on another thread the idea of a pre-paid phone card. I thought of picking a couple of those up for my upcoming cruise. Leaving the card and bag of candy for my room steward and then a couple more for dining room staff at the end of week. I'd imagine calling home can get pricey...I also thought about maybe Itunes gift cards, but not sure if they would have Ipods. I assume they have phone access though! I'm not a big "cash" person, I like to give something slightly more thoughtful, yet useful.

The most thoughtful and useful thing you can give is cash.

But they sure do need other stuff. We always bring stuff for the staff. If they can't get off the ship to go the store, they are forced to by in the ship store witch is expensive. SO the things we like to bring is shampoo, toiletries. Dark hair scrunchies. Special candy bars and other consumables. We have also brought small things like town or city magnets that will stick to there cabin walls, cool tie tacks, but small or consumable is the key and is always appreciated (we think) more than that extra dollar. Don't wait till the end of the cruise, bring a bunch for the waitress, cabin Stuart, bar tender. They even remember you a year or two latter on another ship.

Magnets would not stick to your cabin walls, so what makes you think they will stick to the walls of the cabins used by the crew? And how much use will they have for a tie tack??

Come on, get real, if you think the staff appreciates these trinkets more than cash, you are fooling yourself.

The crew have their own store in which to shop for personal items, and it's very inexpensive for them----half the price from buying on land. Room stewards share cabin space with as many as three other persons, and the cabins are very small, so even small things take up space. As for food, some have religious or health reasons for not eating certain things, so food may not be a good idea either.

And I must respectfully disagree with your saying that gifts are better appreciated than money. The hard working crew are on board to make money, many times to send home to their families. Of course they will smile and say thank you for whatever small things you bring, as they don't wish to annoy a passenger. But believe me, after 64 cruises, and getting to know many, many crew members, they want and need the cash and not little gifts. Unfortunately, cruise lines don't pay crew very well at all, and they live by what we passengers give them in the form of tips and extra gratuities.

Apparently the crew can buy phone cards cheaper on the ship designed to be used for their individual countries. While candy sounds like a good gift (and I'd be tempted to do it myself), having diabetics in my family reminds me how many don't/can't have sugar.

All the staff is going to be grateful for their presents. Of course, they are. That's part of their job. They have their favorite shampoo, just like you do. They have candies they like and don't like, just like you do. They have t-shirts and all the clothes they need. If they want a new one, they probably want to pick out the color and style themselves, just like you do. If you don't want to give extra cash and show your appreciation that way, written recognition is the only way to do it.

I do hope you're meaning leaving these things on top of the auto tip.

I realize that you want to personalize your gifts and want to be thoughtful, but pre-paid phone cards don't work in many foreign countries, and most of the ones that you purchase in the US are for calling a foreign country FROM the US and cannot be used to call a foreign country from another foreign country. As for the candy, most of these crew members are from foreign countries and many are from different religions and cultures. Foods and candies might not be something they can eat.

Look at it this way. You're a cabin steward and you share your cabin with 3 other persons. You take care of 16 cabins a week. What would you do if even half of your customers left a bag of candy for you? What would you do with all that candy?

I'm not sure why you're not a cash person, but that is exactly what these people are working for. Do you know that the cruise line pays them only $50 a month????? They rely on your tips, and that's the only reason why they are there serving you. While I think your reasoning is kind and thoughtful, in all reality, they need for you to be a cash person, and not a gift person.

I thought this blog was titled "Has anyone brought something special for their room Steward?" not "how much extra should I tip above the auto-tip?"

Sure, I'll concede that they are there for the sole purpose of making money, and for the most part for there families back home. BUT with that same thought, would they keep any extra tips for themselves to spend in port? Or do they send it home and still do without? I want to give something they need, won't give away, OR send home.

I am amazed at responders who think that ALL passengers bring gifts for the crew! I would assume they get maybe 4 or 5 personal gifts per contract, If that from passengers. But get lots of dollar tips.

I thought this blog was titled "Has anyone brought something special for their room Steward?" not "how much extra should I tip above the auto-tip?"

Sure, I'll concede that they are there for the sole purpose of making money, and for the most part for there families back home. BUT with that same thought, would they keep any extra tips for themselves to spend in port? Or do they send it home and still do without? I want to give something they need, won't give away, OR send home.

I am amazed at responders who think that ALL passengers bring gifts for the crew! I would assume they get maybe 4 or 5 personal gifts per contract, If that from passengers. But get lots of dollar tips.

That was kind of what I thought...I don't think anyone meant for their gifts to be in place of a regular tip...I think the thought was something above and beyond...and the past cruises I've been on I've never given anything extra actually, and thought of doing so this time...but after hearing how ungrateful they are for anything other than cash I'll just skip it and stick to my autotip.

fill out those "Made a difference" cards.

I agree with filling out the "special crew service" cards. But do you really think that EVERY cabin brings something for there cabin Stuarts?

They are called stewards, not stuarts.

They are on the ship to make money. That is their sole reason for being there - not to see if or how thoughtful or creative the passengers are. They would rather have the cash. A smile, some kindness and respect are much more appreciated than little trinkets, but the real currency of appreciation is cash.

Not only does the crew have a store on board, they also make trips in port to places like K-Mart. They know where every little place is off the ship to get their necessities and how to get there. We rode with some crew in St Thomas to K-Mart (the shuttle dropped them off). The majority of them who have families back in their native countries send their entire check home and survive off the cash tips they receive.

As far as phone cards go, that would be great - except they all live in different countries and some of those cards you will buy won't work for them to call home.

The information I've just relayed has been give us by crew and officers aboard different ships and different lines. But their responses have all been the same. Most cultures, especially many represented aboard ships as crew (not so much officers) are not as "into" stuff as Americans are. Cash is practical and it's what they use to buy their needs. There are many who are saving for something specific. We had one assistant waiter who had to save up to buy a house. He was engaged, but in his culture, you couldn't marry until you could provide a house for your bride. That was his sole reason for working on a cruise ship - to save money faster.

That was kind of what I thought...I don't think anyone meant for their gifts to be in place of a regular tip...I think the thought was something above and beyond...and the past cruises I've been on I've never given anything extra actually, and thought of doing so this time...but after hearing how ungrateful they are for anything other than cash I'll just skip it and stick to my autotip.

It is not that they are ungrateful - far from it. It's just not very practical, and they are very practical for the most part. Space is a huge issue for them. What most people are saying is cash is much prefered over any trinket. I think trinkets are great for family, people who took care of your plants or animals while you were gone or even neighbors who watched over your house.

Well, that's a pretty cheap cop-out IMO - if your steward goes above and beyond for you why would you not want to reward that behavior with something (s)he wants rather than something YOU think (s)he SHOULD want? Makes no sense whatsoever. So, you're saying if (s)he won't be overjoyed by a wonderful (magnet, postcard, tie tack, t-shirt, bag of candy of your choosing), then they won't be rewarded at all? OK, keep your money and spend it on yourself if that makes you feel better.

Archived