Has anyone brought something special for their room steward?

scrapmamma

We just returned from cruising over the Thanksgiving holiday. I had packed a stack of Thanksgiving greeting cards and Lindt Chocolates. On Thanksgiving I filled out the cards for our steward, waiters, asst. waiters, etc. - taped it to the chocolate box and tucked cash in the card. Just a little note to let them know that we understood it was tough to be away from family on holidays and a little "thanks" in cash just the same. Seemed to have been very well received.

There's some very generous, warm hearted people on this site, and anyone receiving a gift would be touched by it.

However, some crew might have their own special festivals and holy days, so they, too, are being gracious accepting gifts on an alien festival. Sweets can be a problem, especially to a halal eater, because of substances such as gelatine; or anything with an animal derivative for a vegetarian.

It's a warm gesture on both sides, but, apart from a card, cash is always best.

Jo.

I have brought postcards from my home town to write thank-you notes on. I put them in the tip envelope with extra cash (in addition to the auto tip). The crew also appreciates when you fill out comment cards and mention them by name (if you have good things to say about them). Some cruise lines have special comment cards to do this.

I have brought postcards from my home town to write thank-you notes on. I put them in the tip envelope with extra cash (in addition to the auto tip). The crew also appreciates when you fill out comment cards and mention them by name (if you have good things to say about them). Some cruise lines have special comment cards to do this.

This is a good idea for people that want to put a more personal spin on the gift/tip. No junk + more cash + personal touch. :cool:

I think putting extra cash into a Thank You card is a great idea. I normally just leave it in a blank envelope.

One thing I've heard is that not everyone gets a comment card email from Carnival now that they've done away with the paper cards. If I don't get an email I will send a letter by regular mail regarding any great service I get.

They use those comments to decide on promotions, merit increases, etc.

Cash is cold and thoughtless

Giving a gift that you like, and think the recipient should fawn over, is cold and thoughtless. And self centered.

If one's goal is to reward their staff for doing a great job with a "gift", then that gift should be something you know the staff will appreciate. Money.

If one's goal is to make themselves feel good, regardless of what the staff would really like, then give them any old crap and pat yourself on the back.

Examine your motives people. Is it all about you? Or all about the staff?

I had packed a stack of Thanksgiving greeting cards and Lindt Chocolates. On Thanksgiving I filled out the cards for our steward, waiters, asst. waiters, etc. - taped it to the chocolate box and tucked cash in the card. Just a little note to let them know that we understood it was tough to be away from family on holidays...

Now this made me giggle a bit - ALL of those staff are from other countries......Thanksgiving?......probably not one of the more sentimental holidays for them! ;) The thought was sweet, though!

As for making cash less cold and/or thoughtless (not that I believe it is either) Get a book from the library or book store that teaches you how to make origami bills. I've seen them. Very cool looking; requiring time AND thought. And it's still money.

I wonder how many folks bring "something special" for their housekeeper in a hotel...none, I'd bet! This is so silly! Cleaning your room is their job. You should be nice and polite...you do NOT have to be a "friend" to your room attendant, waiter, or any of the staff.

And yes...Thanksgiving is an AMERICAN holiday..to celebrate our freedom from an oppressive government....these folks haven't yet been "freed".....no one else celebrates Thanksgiving!!!!

Giving a gift that you like, and think the recipient should fawn over, is cold and thoughtless. And self centered.

If one's goal is to reward their staff for doing a great job with a "gift", then that gift should be something you know the staff will appreciate. Money.

If one's goal is to make themselves feel good, regardless of what the staff would really like, then give them any old crap and pat yourself on the back.

Examine your motives people. Is it all about you? Or all about the staff?

I agree. The fact that you or your family or your friends would be thrilled with something does not mean that it will have any value to someone working on a cruise ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what we did.

Firstly treated them with respect and were polite, said hello, asked how their day was going, told them we appreciated their hard work, picked up after ourselves, etc, I thought that went without saying but I saw a few people who were downright rude to the staff and acted as though those people were personal slaves.

Secondly we tipped extra, they all worked very very hard to make sure we had a good vacation and deserved the extra money - and thats why they do that job, sounds fun at first, working on a cruise ship, but after seeing the reality, no so much anymore, not the worst job in the world but not fun and glamorous either.

Thirdly we filled out the card, as someone else said that is one of the way raises and promotions are gotten.

Finally, we were so impressed with our waiter in particular that on our last night there I wrote a very glowing letter (directed to customer service and asked them to pass it along to the appropriate people) made a copy of the letter and enclosed it with his extra tip, will it help him get a raise or promotion, maybe, but at least along with the money he got from us he also knew that we appreciated his service which was above and beyond and that we were taking the time to let his superiors know how lucky they were to have such a staff member and that we would indeed cruise with them again thanks in large part to him making our cruise so wonderful and true to our word we have booked 2 additional cruises.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I have already prepaid the tipping for a 6 day cruise for 3 people. Will the crew know this? I don't want them to think that I'm a cheap skate or anything. Of course, for above and beyond, I wouldn't hesitate on tipping more.

Thanks

Tanesha

Hello,

I have already prepaid the tipping for a 6 day cruise for 3 people. Will the crew know this? I don't want them to think that I'm a cheap skate or anything. Of course, for above and beyond, I wouldn't hesitate on tipping more.

Thanks

Tanesha

Yes, they will know.

When my mom and I went on our first cruise our room stewards wife was expecting their first baby, so we bought a small stuffed toy for the baby, he did seem to be happy that we had thought of him and his family. And when I went on my second cruise I had a lady for my steward and she was down right rude she didnt get anything extra just the basic tip.

Depending on the season we go away...I usually leave an extra tip with the pin of our sport team that is playing in that season such as Flyers, Phillies, Eagles....we'll you get the message. Pins are fun to collect and don't take up much room. This started when I had a Phillies pin on my hat in Jamaica one year and the bartender loved it and began calling me "Philly". When I left I gave him the pin to remember me. So.....from then on I would just go pick up a few pins for our trips and give one to who was special to remember us. Just a small, easy token to go with a tip.

We have auto tip set up and everyone will get their share but I was wondering if anyone has brought something special from home?

We are in Chicago and I thought wouldn't it be cool to bring a "Chicago Blackhawks" or Bears jersey or something else, put a ribbon on it and leave it on the last night. We might have a woman and I would have to bring something different.

Just a thought, as I'm sure the tip is enough but how great would it be to give a little gift as a sign of appreciation.

I just give extra cash. I had a pack of nice Thank You note cards, wrote how much we appreciated their service and put the cash inside.

I also leave the gratuities/service charge in place.

We have auto tip set up and everyone will get their share but I was wondering if anyone has brought something special from home?

We are in Chicago and I thought wouldn't it be cool to bring a "Chicago Blackhawks" or Bears jersey or something else, put a ribbon on it and leave it on the last night. We might have a woman and I would have to bring something different.

Just a thought, as I'm sure the tip is enough but how great would it be to give a little gift as a sign of appreciation.

I don't know if it would be considered "special", but I do bring something for the room steward, and the room steward always seems to enjoy it. For me it is light and easy to carry. It goes by many names, but one name that seems to be fairly universal is "cash".

Yep!! The something special is "money". Cruise workers are there to make money not collect stuff. Yes they may accept other things with a smile but, that does not mean that they are happy with your offerings. After all, most people are taught to be gracious receivers even when the gift is unwanted.

I haven't read every post, so this may have been mentioned, but I thought I would join the post.

I am part of the cash is best group, but I do like to pick up a few postcards with pictures of where I am from, to attach to the tip at the end of the week. I live in an area these men and women may never visit. They can look at the pictures, show others if they want, and use them as a book mark, send to someone, throw it away or whatever they want.

It cost me a few cents and I try to talk to them about where they are from and what it is like, so I leave them with a snapshot of where I am from.

To all the people who think it is a good idea to give the staff "gifts"......how would you feel if your boss gave you a baseball cap, tee shirt or a key chain for your Christmas bonus?

What is this "Christmas bonus" you speak of? My last two companies didn't give them (for the last 29 years).

Cash is best.

Archived