Whether to mark your cabin "no upgrade"

flamomo

I just called Princess and booked a cruise yesterday. I chose my cabin, and the CSA asked if I wanted to mark it no upgrade. I kind of waffled for a moment, thinking just maybe the upgrade fairy might bless me this time.

BUT .... then I asked the CSA if I was offered an upgrade, would I receive prior notification, and an opportunity to decline the upgrade, before the change was made, and she said NO!

According to her, the upgrades are all chosen by the computer, and the cabin switches made ..... with no opportunity for the passenger to decline if they did not care for the new location for some reason. She said if you noticed the change in the Personalizer and called, it was extremely likely that your original cabin would already be assigned to someone else, and you would not be able to get it back. And should you not want to upgraded cabin, you would have to settle for a cabin in the same category you originally booked from whatever was available at that time.

Given that information, I marked the cabin "NO upgrade".

This has also been my understanding. If you mark your stateroom choice as 'will accept' an upgrade, you are giving Princess the right to move you if they wish, without notifying you. If you mark your booking 'will NOT accept', then you are usually notified before you are moved. (I say usually as you can be sure that someone will post that they were marked 'no upgrade' and were moved without their knowledge anyway. Yes, at times there are slip ups in everything). ;)

I agree with the previous posters, too! I sail inside alot but I try to get the top inside category. Well, next step would be outside obstructed and those are by public rooms many times.

I want cabins above me and below me (just my preference) so I say no changes, don't do me any favors!

We were touched by the princess upgrade fairy yesterday. We purchased a BE guarantee and were upgraded to a BA mid-ship. It does state at the bottom that we have 48 hours to decline and they will "attempt" to get our original room back.

We took a chance on the upgrade and it worked out very well for us!

I just called Princess and booked a cruise yesterday. I chose my cabin, and the CSA asked if I wanted to mark it no upgrade. I kind of waffled for a moment, thinking just maybe the upgrade fairy might bless me this time.

BUT .... then I asked the CSA if I was offered an upgrade, would I receive prior notification, and an opportunity to decline the upgrade, before the change was made, and she said NO!

According to her, the upgrades are all chosen by the computer, and the cabin switches made ..... with no opportunity for the passenger to decline if they did not care for the new location for some reason. She said if you noticed the change in the Personalizer and called, it was extremely likely that your original cabin would already be assigned to someone else, and you would not be able to get it back. And should you not want to upgraded cabin, you would have to settle for a cabin in the same category you originally booked from whatever was available at that time.

Given that information, I marked the cabin "NO upgrade".

Last year on the Diamond we had initially booked the end AD mini with the huge balcony. I forgot to mark the no upgrade box and was changed to an AB mini. Luckily I was able to call and have it switched back.....:):):)

Bob

A suite? Not that's a different story...I would take that upgrade for sure!
Don't be so sure. Some suites are in terrible locations. I think of a suite as a roomy oasis but if you are directly under a public deck, it can be a nightmare.

Don't be so sure. Some suites are in terrible locations. I think of a suite as a roomy oasis but if you are directly under a public deck, it can be a nightmare.

Got that right,Pam!!! First of this year we had 2 Caribbean 7 day cruises booked with a day in between--both were booked AA minis (I think)--both were upgraded to Riviera deck--both on the Crown and the Emerald--the noisiest place in the world--we usually always mark ours--do not upgrade--we were happy to accept those 2 up-grades until we experienced them.

Nancy

We just booked a cruise on the Ruby Princess yesterday through a Travel Agent. While still on the phone with Princess our TA asked about upgrades. Princess told the TA that if we were offered an upgrade we would have 48 hours after the upgrade notification to decline the upgrade. Based on that information we decided to mark our reservation to allow an upgrade.

We just booked a cruise on the Ruby Princess yesterday through a Travel Agent. While still on the phone with Princess our TA asked about upgrades. Princess told the TA that if we were offered an upgrade we would have 48 hours after the upgrade notification to decline the upgrade. Based on that information we decided to mark our reservation to allow an upgrade.

I know that they do not always give you the opportunity to turn down an upgrade. We traveled with someone who learn at checkin that they had been upgraded. They were happy, so no problem.

This is not always true, there have been some instances reported here on CC where their original cabin was reassigned (without notification) and they did not like their upgrade. They were not happy. Just a heads up.

According to her, the upgrades are all chosen by the computer, and the cabin switches made ..... with no opportunity for the passenger to decline if they did not care for the new location for some reason. She said if you noticed the change in the Personalizer and called, it was extremely likely that your original cabin would already be assigned to someone else, and you would not be able to get it back.

Having booked directly with Princess, if you are given an upgrade you should receive a timely e-mail from Princess with that information. You should not have to learn about it by checking the personalizer.

If you had booked through a travel agent, the TA would be notified and would be the TA's responsibility to then notify you in a timely manner.

"IT IS OUR PLEASURE TO ADVISE THAT YOUR CLIENTS HAVE RECEIVED A COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE INTO THE CABIN LISTED ON THIS CONFIRMATION. IF YOUR CLIENTS CHOOSE TO DECLINE, PLEASE NOTIFY US WITHIN 48 HOURS, AND WE WILL ATTEMPT TO RETURN THEM TO THEIR ORIGINAL CABIN. SHOULD A LOWER FARE BE SELECTED,THIS UPGRADE WILL NO LONGER APPLY. **PLEASE ADVISE YOUR CLIENTS OF THEIR NEW CABIN ASSIGNMENT PRIOR TO EMBARKATION. IF YOUR CLIENTS WERE ON A GUARANTEE, PLEASE NOTIFY THEM OF THIS CABIN ASSIGNMENT.*** THERE IS NO NEED TO RECONFIRM THIS UPGRADE."

Archived