Alternate restaurant reservation policy on Marina

wripro

I do not have a dog in this fight either but just curious as many have mentioned they should charge less for the PH to compensate for less specialty reservations if indeed that is the case.

What would you consider to be an equitable amount for losing 4 reservations?

Frankly, I am a bit concerned now that I see they are playing fast and loose with their previous policies about how other aspects of the O product will be maintained on the larger ship. I hope they have given more forethought to service in general than they have given to this dining situation. Otherwise we will be sailing on a beautiful ship that does not live up to the Oceania reputation.
I think this is the essence of the matter.

It’s understandable that other issues in planning Marina would take priority over the specialty restaurant reservation policy. This is their first newbuild so it’s probably been quite a learning curve for all involved. But Oceania found time to update their website & FB page with all manner of interesting tidbits about Marina. They even posted tantalizing videos on YouTube about the new restaurants. Surely they could also find time to make a simple notation about Marina restaurant reservations on their website? An asterisk * stating that the existing reservation policy (on the R ships) would be different on Marina would have sufficed. Was this info intentionally not disclosed? I doubt it. But I do think it was a careless oversight in planning & communication.

Where in that shiny brochure, or on the website regarding Marina, did they ever say anything about the dining reservations, one way or the other?

I agree that nothing was said. I do remember wondering what number of reservations I would be getting because I officially only had two on the R ships, and I wanted to have the opportunity to try all four restaurants on Marina. So that is what I get to do, and I am very happy about it.

BTW, I never have had any difficulties on my three Oceania cruises in the past two years getting additional reservations in either of the two specialty restaurants provided that I was flexible on the date and time.

In addition, I mention an incident on my last cruise in May which to me exemplifies the attitude of the fabulous Oceania staff: when Polo was out of my desired medium prime rib and only could offer well done (spouse is the steak person, not me) the Polo boss immediately offered to have me return an additional evening when he would be certain to save me one. And it was fabulous!:)

Look at the bright side - we could be on the Carnival ship, floating without power near Mexico, happy to have the Spam that was dropped by helicopter. Knowing this Oceania cruise critic bunch, would we be more upset about the lack of power, the Spam for dinner, or being on a Carnival ship? - LOL

Look at the bright side - we could be on the Carnival ship, floating without power near Mexico, happy to have the Spam that was dropped by helicopter. Knowing this Oceania cruise critic bunch, would we be more upset about the lack of power, the Spam for dinner, or being on a Carnival ship? - LOL

What I want to know is what happened to all the food that was loaded onto the ship when it left its port only a few days ago? It could not have all spoiled in such a short time, even without refrigeration.

...If there were four alternate restaurants on the R ships I'd be getting eight reservations...

(Sigh) No, you wouldn't. given the physical size of the R ships, if there were 4 alternate restaurants, they would have to be half the size, and the total number of reservations would not change, because the total number of seats would not change.

What I want to know is what happened to all the food that was loaded onto the ship when it left its port only a few days ago? It could not have all spoiled in such a short time, even without refrigeration.

The people heard that only those in the deluxe suites would be fed after the first night, so there was a run on the food.

If I may interject, I made, by phone, dining reservations for the Marina Jan 22nd sailing today.

PH1 category - my parents

B2 balcony -myself and my wife

PH1 was allowed one reservation in each dining specialty eatery. We were "invited" guests and the reservation went through for all 4 of us.

The website was not allowing online reservations.

Biggest deal of all? I'm just very thankful to be onboard the ship and to be fortunate enough to experience the world of Oceania for the first time.

From the sound of it, with a little flexibility, additional dining times will be available. In other words, hit the early dining times especially on port days and you should be well rewarded ;)

I did get one issue, and that was with Jacques. This is apparently quite the popular dining spot already for this voyage in terms of 4 top tables.

**Also, once I made the phone call to reservations about the dining times, I can no longer access my booking online. That may clear up in a day or two.

Hope that info helps someone.

If I may interject, I made, by phone, dining reservations for the Marina Jan 22nd sailing today.

PH1 was allowed one reservation in each dining specialty eatery. We were "invited" guests and the reservation went through for all 4 of us.

The website was not allowing online reservations.

Biggest deal of all? I'm just very thankful to be onboard the ship and to be fortunate enough to experience the world of Oceania for the first time.

From the sound of it, with a little flexibility, additional dining times will be available. In other words, hit the early dining times especially on port days and you should be well rewarded ;)

I did get one issue, and that was with Jacques. This is apparently quite the popular dining spot already for this voyage in terms of 4 top tables.

**Also, once I made the phone call to reservations about the dining times, I can no longer access my booking online. That may clear up in a day or two.

Hope that info helps someone.

That doesn't seem fair to the people who are booked in concierge cabins, unless maybe your parents had to prove that you were related to them.

It was fairly obvious that this was going to be one way people booked in lower categories (Cruise critic groups of people booked in different category levels, where one of the group is a suite occupant and the rest are lower catgories) would get around the "rules" and make it more difficult for those in higher categories to get the choice they want.

Someone (wripro?) said that the best value on Oceania seems to be for those who book the lowest categories. Depending on who you know (cruisers in upper cabins, perhaps), you may get preferential treatment.

Since no one really knows how it works with the Marina yet

I will just say that on the R ships that if you are eating in the specialty restaurants ... invited guest or not that is YOUR 1 allotment.

You do not get another GTY reservation just because you are sharing with friends/family

Lyn

I will just say that on the R ships that if you are eating in the specialty restaurants ... invited guest or not that is YOUR 1 allotment.

You do not get another GTY reservation just because you are sharing with friends/family

Well, that's good, at least. But what about the other situation, where there is a suite occupant who books an 8-top and seven others have booked the lowest level cabins. It sounds like that table group would get their choice of time and restaurant before 8 concierge cabin occupants who might all want to dine at an 8-top (together with others they know who are also in concierge cabins, or complete strangers in concierge category or higher) in the same restaurant.

Normally this might not be so important, but what if it were a holiday dinner that everyone wanted, a sea day, or something else like that?

It may very well be the total allotment for all of us. And if so, I'm very satisfied with that.

There was no attempt to bend the rules, I simply asked about booking the reservations and that was done.

I was simply relaying information from my experience today. I was hoping that it would be helpful information on a subject that has been a little murky as of late.

I say we cut Oceania just a little slack here. They promise a great cruise. I believe that will be delivered.

Apparently there will be no "new chefs" on the Marina as they will all be pulled from other ships. this will not be their first rodeo, and I expect them to be quite excited over their new kitchens and situation. In other words, I expect them to put forth their best effort because they want to do so, not because they have to do so.

I'm going on this maiden voyage not expecting everything to be perfect. Far from it. In fact, I look at my going as an adventure. And I can't wait to post "live from the Marina" using my online internet account. I consider the cost of those minutes my contribution back to the CruiseCritic larger family who have been so helpful with info up to this point.

I would say that most everyone on the O boards seems to really enjoy their experience. They don't say it is perfect, they just prefer it.

I'm going on this maiden voyage not expecting everything to be perfect. Far from it. In fact, I look at my going as an adventure. And I can't wait to post "live from the Marina" using my online internet account. I consider the cost of those minutes my contribution back to the CruiseCritic larger family who have been so helpful with info up to this point.

sldispatcher,

I am certain that you will enjoy your cruise on the Marina (and the restaurants as well).

I will anxiously await your reports.

Smooth sailing to you and your family :)

I still find myself bemused by the passion this topic has generated. And I understand that my puzzlement is probably due to the fact that WE personally are not generally that interested in Toscana and Polo on the "R" ships. There have been cruises when we didn't go to either restaurant at all, and other cruises when we went several times. Usually, the latter case arose because we were in a PH and had an extra possibility and we'd met people who didn't have that chance, and so we arranged a dinner date.

I also recall that on Renaissance when we didn't book a specialty restaurant, we would get a telephone call asking us if we didn't want to do so. That's never happened on Oceania ... I make no assumptions as to why that is other than that Oceania was too busy trying to fill requests to worry about people who had opted not to make a reservation.

That being said, when we finally get to Marina (if all plans hold, that will be next September) I WILL want to try each restaurant. But until I do, I will be satisfied with one reservation in each. And since we generally have been able to book extra reservations when we wanted to, I like to think that will be possible as well.

This may well be far more difficult on the first few sailings. I get that!

But, as I've said before, how many reservations I am entitled to in the specialty restaurants is pretty much the least of our concerns. I hope that I will be happy with what I get, and I hope that all of YOU are happy with what you get as well!

I know that management reads this messages and all we can do is hope that policies will be adjusted to the extent that they CAN be as a result.

Happy Sailing,

Mura

I hate to go through all of the postings since there are many pages of them. Would anybody mind giving out the phone number for restaurant reservations--and how one goes about it?

We are in concierge class and were told today that we couldn't book until 60 days out. I plan to wait until it's my turn--after all, I was a teacher and we learned to follow rules! :>)

Thanks,

Mom C

I hate to go through all of the postings since there are many pages of them. Would anybody mind giving out the phone number for restaurant reservations--and how one goes about it?

We are in concierge class and were told today that we couldn't book until 60 days out. I plan to wait until it's my turn--after all, I was a teacher and we learned to follow rules! :>)

Thanks,

Mom C

If you cannot book them online when your turn comes ask your TA to book them for you or just call Oceania 800-531-5619

Wow! Is this really fair?

I admit that I haven't followed this thread religiously so I don't recall the comment you refer to. And I admit that the reservations aren't as important to us as they are to many here.

But Oceania has become more class conscious over the years and there ARE people who benefit. When we were in an OS and a VS on two occasions (we usually are in a PH, this was special for us) we benefited from that status, and I know that now that we are not in such elite digs other people are benefiting as we once did.

I don't begrudge them that privilege. Envy them, yes.

I don't like people who "game" the system either but I doubt that is what happened here ... You can benefit because you are in a top level cabin, you can benefit because you are a frequent cruiser. You can benefit (perhaps) because you know someone ...

Not wanting this to get into a war and have our comments deleted, I think I'll stop now.

Mura

Ruth and Walter Behnke will be joining the 'Oceanias' (specifically the Panama Cruise on Marina - Feb 8, 2011). We have cruised with a number of cruise lines (mostly with Celebrity and Azamara) in various parts of the world. We are looking forward to this first-time Oceania experience. After reading a number of the posts re. Restaurant Bookings, my head is swimming ... boy, oh boy, is it that crucial to reserve ahead to enjoy eating at each of the restaurants??? I'm beginning to wonder if 'being high on the food-chain' is a must to gain access to the specialty restaurants?

Restaurant Bookings aside ... we are looking forward to the Marina Inaugural Panama Cruise.

Ruth and Walter Behnke will be joining the 'Oceanias' (specifically the Panama Cruise on Marina - Feb 8, 2011). We have cruised with a number of cruise lines (mostly with Celebrity and Azamara) in various parts of the world. We are looking forward to this first-time Oceania experience. After reading a number of the posts re. Restaurant Bookings, my head is swimming ... boy, oh boy, is it that crucial to reserve ahead to enjoy eating at each of the restaurants??? I'm beginning to wonder if 'being high on the food-chain' is a must to gain access to the specialty restaurants?

Restaurant Bookings aside ... we are looking forward to the Marina Inaugural Panama Cruise.

Ruth and Walter...

You don't need to be "high on the food chain"...

The real issue, aside from people's individual egos, is that, unlike most cruise lines, eating in Oceania's specialty restaurants is at no additional charge...so, really what the reservation thing is about, primarily, is to give everyone a chance and to keep it all orderly...lest someone goes in and books an unfair number of slots in each restaurant...

On the R ships, they merely gave everyone at least two reservations--if in a lower category cabin--and four if in a higher category...not all that egalitarian, but, hey, it gave folks a little extra if they paid for a higher priced room...Of course, after everyone got their allotted reservations, anyone could go back and reserve more--if available...by that time, they figured everyone got a fair shot...

With Marina, they've doubled the number of specialty restaurants...but still don't charge for the privilege...With four restaurants, I guess they figured it was unfair to limit some people to two reservations...but, since eight for so many cabins would overstress the system, they've made it so that EVERYONE gets four--except for the very highest category cabins, who get eight...

The way the system has developed, the order of WHEN you get to book those reservations has become the perk of the higher category...Of course, not everyone with a suite will jump in and reserve before those with a PH--who may not jump in before those with a Concierge class, etc. But, in the event some times are more coveted, those with higher categories may lay claim to them first...

But, really, it is not a big deal...EVERYONE will get the opportunity to eat at least once in each of the four specialty restaurants...

...and the food on Oceania is so well done that everyone is looking forward to them...

Necessary? No...but, without any extra charge, why not? On other lines, you may decide to pass on the specialty restaurants--and save the $50 or $60 or $70...But, with no charge, you are going to want to try them out...

Past that, don't worry about it...

No, it is not crucial. You will have a reservations for each of the speciality restaurants. 'higher-ups' can book earlier and so be more likely to get the table size and time ideal to them.

Don't let the tone of this thread dampen the anticipation of your upcoming cruise.

Archived