Captain's Club Perks

Bridge Maven

How important are Captain's Club Perks to you when booking a cruise?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. How important are Captain's Club Perks to you when booking a cruise?

• I always book Celebrity for this reason
    • I think they are a nice bonus but not the deciding factor
    • They don't enter my decision making process at all
    • Other - comment below

Even though we are elite members of Celebrity's Captain's Club and diamond members of Royal's Crown and Anchor Club, this is not a consideration when we decide what cruises to book.

We currently have cruises booked on Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas and Celebrity Silhouette but that is because the ships and itineraries appealed to us. During the past few years we have also booked cruises on NCL, Holland America, and Carnival because they had a better itinerary for what we were looking for at the time, even though we don't have enough cruises with these cruise lines to get perks.

One of my favorite Celebrity perks is priority boarding for tenders but that becomes a moot point when we are cruising with friends who don't have this perk.

What is most important to us is itinerary, the ship itself, cabin spaciousness and amenities.

How important are Captain's Club perks to you when booking a cruise?

I spread my cruise dollars around between lines based on ship and itinerary, but Princess has now got the upper hand in the "perk" category as far as I am concerned w/250 free internet minutes. Keeping in touch with work the only way I can take a 2 week cruise with out a lot of hassel upon return.

I tend to agree with the last poster, not snobish, but it is more to give bragging rights to those to whom such things matter.

I use the laundry, then internet minutes and the Elite Lounge. That's all.

But these are nice perks. It would tip the scale maybe if I am hesitating between two competing itineraries.[/quote]

I think this ought to be an option on the poll. There really wasn't an option that reflected our position.

I had to go with "OTHER". All things being equal, the Elite perks would sway me towards Celebrity.

I don't think it has anything to do with snobbishness or bragging rights. I have never, ever heard anyone "bragging" about being Elite on any cruise. I do often hear it mentioned on these boards, but usually in terms of giving some context, i.e. it does indicate that you have some history of cruising with Celebrity. I think people use it to establish a bit of credibility. I don't think that is bragging or snobbish.

I went with 'other' as we are in the market to find ONE line and stick with it.

I like the fact that longer itineraries or certain cabin levels get you an extra bump so that it is possible to get higher status going on fewer longer cruises as opposed to having to sail a certain number of cruises regardless of length. we prefer 7 day minimum so being able to get double credits for a single 10 day cruise is preferable to having to take twice as many, or being jealous because Couple A has a more flexible work schedule and can take 4 or 5 shorter cruises each year. with DH being military, we are lucky if he can get time off once every 18 months.

the dry cleaning will be a nice perk as will a few other ones. I'd be willing to give away our internet package if allowed as a pay it forward.

I had to go with "OTHER". All things being equal, the Elite perks would sway me towards Celebrity.

I don't think it has anything to do with snobbishness or bragging rights. I have never, ever heard anyone "bragging" about being Elite on any cruise. I do often hear it mentioned on these boards, but usually in terms of giving some context, i.e. it does indicate that you have some history of cruising with Celebrity. I think people use it to establish a bit of credibility. I don't think that is bragging or snobbish.

well stated, I too voted "other" for the same reasons

Even though we are elite members of Celebrity's Captain's Club and diamond members of Royal's Crown and Anchor Club, this is not a consideration when we decide what cruises to book.

We currently have cruises booked on Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas and Celebrity Silhouette but that is because the ships and itineraries appealed to us. During the past few years we have also booked cruises on NCL, Holland America, and Carnival because they had a better itinerary for what we were looking for at the time, even though we don't have enough cruises with these cruise lines to get perks.

One of my favorite Celebrity perks is priority boarding for tenders but that becomes a moot point when we are cruising with friends who don't have this perk.

What is most important to us is itinerary, the ship itself, cabin spaciousness and amenities.

Bridge,

Excellent Poll by the way! The perks are nice, but it's a small part of the over-all cruise experience.

Cuisine, itinerary and service are the things that keeps us coming back to Celebrity!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

PS -- ignore this new buffoon troll that's never been on a Celebrity cruise -- not sure what his problem is?

I am now booked on other lines due to the ports.. several are new to me.. only perks i used last cruise was laundry and internet. made it to the lounge once or twice.. left as no one i knew was there. quiet in Alaska.

Im sorry but the initial post says it all, Im elite on Celebrity and Diamond on RCL.....We get to priority boarding on tenders but our friends dont.....

If you feel that this is my interpretation of 'reverse snobbism' then Im sorry you are totally wrong

Why do people feel the need to 'brag' about their status, I go on a cruise to enjoy myself not to look down my nose at others less fortunate.

When it comes to the end, the status, if the ship is sinking we are all in the same lifeboat and the 'elite' perk doesnt count.

:D:)

You are interpreting the OP's post through your own lens, which apparently is clouded by some antagonism (i.e. reverse snobbishness in this case). Nothing that the OP said should be construed as "bragging". She is simply establishing context for the reasons that she created the poll.

And the issue about travelling as an Elite when you are accompanying friends who are not Elite has nothing whatsoever to do with bragging. She is just saying that although one of the perks she values is priority tendering, it is a perk she can't use when travelling with friends who are not Elite. How do you get bragging out of that, unless your perspective is tainted by an antagonism?

You are interpreting the OP's post through your own lens, which apparently is clouded by some antagonism (i.e. reverse snobbishness in this case). Nothing that the OP said should be construed as "bragging". She is simply establishing context for the reasons that she created the poll.

And the issue about travelling as an Elite when you are accompanying friends who are not Elite has nothing whatsoever to do with bragging. She is just saying that although one of the perks she values is priority tendering, it is a perk she can't use when travelling with friends who are not Elite. How do you get bragging out of that, unless your perspective is tainted by an antagonism?

I agree totally. The perks made our cruise on Summit last week really special and we made some really good friends. No one was bragging about anything.

We like some of the Captain's Club perks and others we do not avail ourselves of. Our most use/favorite is the use of Michael's Club on the M class ships, we are Elite. For reference we are Diamond on RCL with almost 20 credits and have, I think 12 credits on Celebrity.

I personally like and believe perks like this that are not public displays/preferences are the best whereby non Captain's club passengers are not effected directly. For example, I HATE the perk on RCL that reserves seats in public forums. They should have a private showing if they want to reserve seats.

Just my humble opinion! :)

Im sorry but the OP stated their level in both cruise lines, which amounted to 'bragging' There is no need for the op to state her level to generate the poll.

Your reverse psychology doesnt work on me I wont change my opinion of what I feel tantimounts to nothing more than ego boosting oneself and pretend they are important

At the end of the day we will all end up in the same lifeboat

Its my view and its a democratic world where I live

JMHO

:)

Im sorry but the initial post says it all, Im elite on Celebrity and Diamond on RCL.....We get to priority boarding on tenders but our friends dont.....

If you feel that this is my interpretation of 'reverse snobbism' then Im sorry you are totally wrong

Why do people feel the need to 'brag' about their status, I go on a cruise to enjoy myself not to look down my nose at others less fortunate.

When it comes to the end, the status, if the ship is sinking we are all in the same lifeboat and the 'elite' perk doesnt count.

:D:)

Scotsnomad, first of all I don't consider elite or diamond to be a status issue because I didn't have to do anything special to earn them. They are merely perks we get for taking more than a certain amount of cruises with these cruise lines. I mentioned them as a frame of reference to indicate I am willing to give up these perks when another cruise line has an itinerary I prefer. Our friends who I referred to that do not get these perks have actually taken more cruises than we have, but not on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. On the other hand I admit to bragging when I tell people that our daughter is a Phi Beta Kappa because that is a very special achievement and I am very proud of her :)

Just guessing but perhaps for the same reason you felt it necessary to use an oversized signature that includes a map to indicate how many countries you've traveled to...

We've only taken three Celebrity cruises, so we're not to the level where we get much. But we're Platinum on Princess, and I take into consideration the free Internet minutes before booking. If given the same level of cabin, nearly identical itineraries, and the same price, we'd go with Princess again instead of Celebrity or HAL.

Interesting poll. We never book cruises based on club amenities (RCI Diamond, Celebrity Elite, Princess Elite, HA 3 Star) but if we did we would probably be booking most of our cruises on Princess where the benefits are about the best for the Elite cruisers. We were happy to see that Celebrity finally provides some decent benefits, and we will take advantage of some of those benefits on our upcoming cruise, but it had no part in our decision to book.

Hank

Those cruisers who earn the top tiers slowly - regular cabins without the doubling up of credits etc. will often start look for more exotic Intins by the time they reach those tiers and the "perks" are often not substancial enough to actually keep customers loyal if the lines are not offering what they are looking for .....

We have now reached the point where Itins are the big runner and the reason why we choose one line over the other.

Just guessing but perhaps for the same reason you felt it necessary to use an oversized signature that includes a map to indicate how many countries you've traveled to...

Play nice!

I found that changing my "Thread Display Options" for this board to NOT view the avitars, signatures, etc. really increased my enjoyment of use of this amazing tool (Cruise Critic). Not seeing previous/upcoming cruise history and other information, makes it impossible to judge a post or poster based upon their percieved "status".

So go to "Quick Links" > "Edit Options" and scroll down to "Thread Display options" turn all that stuff off and then maybe it will be a bit easier to concentrate on the poster's content rather than judging their real or perceived snobbery level!

Play nice!

I found that changing my "Thread Display Options" for this board to NOT view the avitars, signatures, etc. really increased my enjoyment of use of this amazing tool (Cruise Critic). Not seeing previous/upcoming cruise history and other information, makes it impossible to judge a post or poster based upon their percieved "status".

So go to "Quick Links" > "Edit Options" and scroll down to "Thread Display options" turn all that stuff off and then maybe it will be a bit easier to concentrate on the poster's content rather than judging their real or perceived snobbery level!

Or--novel idea--stop making judgments about people.

I list my cruises in my signature because it helps me keep track of them. If I want to know what year I went, it's all there. So I do it for me, but it has also helped me connect with people I formerly cruised with.

I spread my cruise dollars around between lines based on ship and itinerary, but Princess has now got the upper hand in the "perk" category as far as I am concerned w/250 free internet minutes. Keeping in touch with work the only way I can take a 2 week cruise with out a lot of hassel upon return.

I tend to agree with the last poster, not snobish, but it is more to give bragging rights to those to whom such things matter.

If you and your wife were elite on celebrity you would get 180 minutes free internet between you. No way would I let that influence my decision on a cruise which cost upwards of $4000 - way more for a 2-week cruise.

Archived