Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

Have you ever sailed on Carnival? Would you?? I think it is a little rude to presume that Carnival is trying to keep the story hush hush...

Especially when they are broadcasting alerts out......

Maybe the Bored British Company should subcribe to John Healds Facebook page. :rolleyes:

Paradise will be long gone by then. Currently at present speed the Splendor is 12 hours away.

Thanks! That's what I thought, but you never can be to sure.

The faster those people get off the ship, the better.

Just found USS Ronald Reagan's Facebook with photos of the SAR with Splendor. Thought you alll might want to see them here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coronado-CA/USS-Ronald-Reagan/212147332020?ref=ts&__a=24.#!/album.php?aid=243168&id=212147332020

Joanie

There is a photo of a case of bottle water being loaded. Finally something thats not SPAM

You all may think I'm crazy, but I envy those passengers. Just think of the stories they will have to tell for the rest of their lives! Of course with no injuries reported, I am able to put a good spin on everything. I've sailed on Splendor & have many fond memories of our adventures. Who wants to go through life with no challenges?

Joyce;):D

I have to agree! I can't WAIT to start seeing pictures and videos from this cruise! I know it must be hard for people onboard, especially elderly and those with kids, etc. but I would be making the best of it...:D

No it's not. Sapphire Princess makes 7n runs down to Mexico weekly except in the summer, when it's in Alaska. Golden Princess is in Hawaii every other week from LA except the summer, when it's in Alaska.

Mariner of the Seas and Norwegian Star ARE leaving CA though, permanently. Disney Wonder is coming but will likely mix up Hawaii runs with Mexico trips in 2012. It also goes to Alaska in the summers.

But Princess is staying in CA. And I love the Sapphire! Can't wait to be on her in December.

We'll be on the Mariner of the Seas in under 2 weeks so here is to no further problems on the way to Mexico!

Katherine

NCL I was thinking of........but Princess did pull 15 cruises from the Mexican Riviera also......not much of pickins anymore....

When Royal Caribbean International said last week that it was pulling the Mariner of the Seas off its Mexican Riviera itinerary, the blow was painful but familiar to the ports along Mexico’s Pacific coast and in Southern California.

The region will see a major reduction in cruise traffic over the next year.

The 3,114-passenger, Los Angeles-based Mariner, the largest cruise ship operating Mexican Riviera itineraries, will move to the Mediterranean beginning in January. It was the third time a cruise line has announced the redeployment of a ship from the region in the last seven months.

Norwegian Cruise Line announced in March that the 2,240-passenger Norwegian Star would move to Tampa in October 2011, and in September, Carnival Cruise Lines said the 2,052-passenger Carnival Elation would move to Mobile, Ala., this month.

Those moves came on top of Princess Cruises eliminating 15 Mexican Riviera cruises this year and next, including the weekly itinerary that the line started out with in the 1960s.

I came over to the Carnival boards because I knew CC'ers would have first hand info.

I can not imagine the nightmare of being on this ship right now. I don't care about free...these people are not having a great time.

Its scary to me to think about the ship being dead in the water with NO control. I wonder how much the ship is rolling and going side to side???

does it drift with the current? just a weird thought...to be helpless at Sea...would the life boat lifts work with the power situation?

I find it scary..I wish all those on board a safe trip home

This may be a wierd question, but will the entire staff remain on the ship while it is being towed to whatever port for repairs? It would certainly seem that this additional time during the towing process could be detrimental to their health. I haven't heard anything about the crew being taken off. If some crew is taken off and bused back to San Diego or wherever, where are they to stay for the period of time until the ship is back in order and sailing again?

Amy

I would expect that most of the crew does not have visas that would permit this.

Frankly I am floored at the number of posts from people who would have loved to have been on this cruise just so they could get a free trip out of it. Short of injury, death and or sinking, a ship being dead in the water is one of the most dangerous situations you can be in. And this doesn't even take into consideration the "living" situation. I cannot imagine how families are dealing with kids are handling the situation.

These passengers will have a story to tell for sure. But getting them on safe ground again is the most important thing at this point. They still have several hours to safety.....

I wouldn't want to be on the cruise for the free cruise, but for the excitement....don't get me wrong, people are having to endure a lot, but what I am saying is that IF i was onboard, i would be considering it an adventure....but....i've been on 11 cruises, so that would certainly factor in my attitude....i would be making the best of a very bad situation...

I came over to the Carnival boards because I knew CC'ers would have first hand info.

I can not imagine the nightmare of being on this ship right now. I don't care about free...these people are not having a great time.

Its scary to me to think about the ship being dead in the water with NO control. I wonder how much the ship is rolling and going side to side???

does it drift with the current? just a weird thought...to be helpless at Sea...would the life boat lifts work with the power situation?

Considering how both the USCG, US Navy and Mexico Navy arrived on the scene what i think was a pretty decent amount of time, i dont think it was all of that scary. It could be alot worse such as being dead in the water for days before you see help coming your way.

I was just wondering the same thing about the lifeboats! I would think they can also be manually lowered.

It is in the news in the UK, my sister and friends knew about it yesterday and it is on the BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11720891 this is bbc.co.uk not BBC World news.

British news does cover the whole World, unlike our local news channel here in Michigan that the other night the news from around the World was a report from Florida and one from California!!

Actually most of the people are having fun. Their hanging by the pool make the best of things. A little canned crab on saltines. Some bottled water and nice lil pop tart for desert. This is not the "disaster" some are making it out to be. It's an adventure.

Being a Navy vet I am happy to see all the support the US Navy is providing to Carnival. Now we have a third day to speculate on the destination and arrival of Splendor! So far the people on the ship have endured 48 hours of hell (or fun for those that wish they were there!). I would have to believe if they have a choice in the matter, ending in Mexico or yet another day to reach San Diego most would choose Mexico.

I can imagine that CD John and the crew are working extra hard to make the most of a bad situation. The crew has a full plate on a great cruise, I can't imagine what they are being required to do in this situation.

I can't imagine living in my own home for 3 days with no power of cooking facilities let alone doing it on a ship adrift or under tow. I appreciate those that would enjoy the "adventure" as for me, I can enjoy the rest of my life and all of my future cruises without such a situation!

Great pictures on the news last night of folks laying out by the pool and enjoying themselves. Good to see that all the doom and gloomers on here were wrong. People are making the best of their trip and having a good time.

I believe that was home video from the man the news interviewed that just debarked from his cruise on Nov 7th.

Toni

Archived