Mary hart named godmother for oceania cruises' new marina

Oceania3

I would hope that would be a joke. A TV media personality - how about someone with real accomplishments in life.

as noted in the blog

In her personal life, Hart has been involved with philanthropic causes devoted to children. A member of the board of trustees for Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, she currently serves as Leadership Chair of the New Hospital Campaign. Hart is also an ambassador for Childhelp USA, which combats child abuse. For many years she served on the board of directors for the National Childhood Cancer Foundation and continues her affiliation with the Children’s Miracle Network, for which she was telethon co-host for 15 years. Hart is the recipient of the Samaritan Award from the National Association of Broadcasters Education Foundation for her work on behalf of several children’s charities. In 2001, she was honored with the first-ever Children’s Miracle Achievement Award for her “long-standing commitment to children and contributing in many ways to bettering the lives of children everywhere.”

I wonder what you consider real accomplishments in life to be?

Let the complaining begin

Congratulations to Ms. Hart

Lyn

I would hope that would be a joke. A TV media personality - how about someone with real accomplishments in life.

I guess godmother doesn't mean much to Oceania either.

Your "Sour Grapes" duly noted....

However, you might want to look further into Ms. Hart's involvement in various causes throughout her life. :rolleyes:

While Mary Hart would not have been on my radar for Marina godmother, she is an interesting choice. If nothing else, Oceania will certainly get a good plug on Entertainment Tonight & the christening ceremonies will likely be seen by millions! :D:D

Seems like a real upbeat happy person. Like MQ, I think the Marina will get some positive PR from this selection.

By the way, a few years ago we stayed at the LaQuinta Resort in Palm Springs, and we were assigned the Mary Hart Casita. :)

Look forward to sailing the Marina this time next year!!

Enjoy!

Kel

I just wonder how many other Oceania cruisers will have to Google her to find out who she even is?

Although I do know who Mary Hart is, I confess that I had to Google her to find our about her acomplishments. :o

I guess godmother doesn't mean much to Oceania either.

She is so "accomplished" that there is even a disease named after her.

MARY HART SYNDROME

http://www.tvacres.com/diseases_ailments_mary.htm

"Mary Hart Syndrome - The name given to the medical condition suffered by an unidentified woman who was proven to be afflicted with an epileptic seizure caused by the voice of celebrity Mary Hart, co‑host of the weekly syndicated news magazine program ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT.

In 1991, news sources reported an epilepsy expert noted that it was probably the pitch and quality of the voice as a sound that caused the epileptic episodes. (Science News 140(3) p.45 July 20, 1991).

When the woman stopped watching the show, the seizures stopped. It has long been known that pulses of certain color lights could cause epileptic fits, but this was the first known case to have been caused by the "sound waves" of a television broadcast.

In episode No. 36 "The Good Samaritan" (3/4/92) on the sitcom SEINFELD/NBC/1989-98 hipster Cosmo Kramer (Michael Richards) experienced seizures triggered by the voice of Mary Hart. As he told his friends "Suddenly I got dizzy and the next thing you know I hit my head on the coffee table.""

Flame me if you like, but I like Mary Hart. People watch shows like Entertainment Tonight and read magazines like People, to get away from their daily routines, if only for a few minutes and imagine how life is like for others. What better way, then cruising, to do the same? I sure have not found a better way to "get away from it all" and somebody in that type of business is a perfect ambassador for cruising.

Flame me if you like, but I like Mary Hart. People watch shows like Entertainment Tonight and read magazines like People, to get away from their daily routines, if only for a few minutes and imagine how life is like for others. What better way, then cruising, to do the same? I sure have not found a better way to "get away from it all" and somebody in that type of business is a perfect ambassador for cruising.

I won't flame you. You have the right to your opinion. Personally, I don't care for her gushy style, nor her "puff pieces." As for her being a perfect ambassador, I don't agree with that, either. Her stay at Entertainment Tonight is coming to an end, and it is rumored it was not her choice to leave.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE67513D20100806

You know what people say, opinons are like---uh, noses. Everyone has one. Personally I am just fine with the choice. Seems like there are much more important things in the world for people to be concerned about. Me? I'm just happy the ship looks to be on time and in great ship!!

CintiPam,

You forgot the second "Mary Hartman!" I absolutely loved that show. Because of its controversial subject matters our local station carried it at 11:00 (which made it hard to get up and get to work the next day even though we were young) and I thought Louise Lasser was great. I think it was on only about a year and I remember that it was a Norman Lear show. Wow, you sure took me back 30+ years...awesome reply, Pam!! c

Your "Sour Grapes" duly noted....

However, you might want to look further into Ms. Hart's involvement in various causes throughout her life. :rolleyes:

Her board memberships are because she is a media personality - doesn't mean she is a bad person or a good one - she is probably a good person but all the resume stuff is because she is a face - not a real actress or has real accomplishments.

Sorry but if you are serious about (and not sure why) godmother she isn't it.

For those of you who don't like the choice for the Marina, grow up & get over it. FDR did what he thought was right and I applaud his decision. Great choice for her work with children. I doubt if any of the naysayers have even do a fraction of her good work with children.

Ask the Bard said, beware the green eyed monster....

Archived