Question For Anyone With Marine Safety Experience

ChevyCruiser

Please, no flames. I have a legitimate question and am looking for a legitimate answer from someone with knowledge regarding marine safety regulations, specifically those which address fire safety.

Is there a fire safety regulation for cruise ships that requires emergency exit corridors and paths of exit travel to be kept clear - such as land-based fire safety codes do?

My issue is cruise lines that allow passengers to store wheel chairs and scooters in the corridor instead of inside their stateroom. They pose a tripping hazard at any time, and could impede a safe evacuation in the event of an emergency.

This is not meant to be insensitive to those with mobility issues, but is a request for real information about real regulations.

Have not seen a wheelchair/scooter left in the hallway but service carts, vacuum cleaners and plenty of dirty dishes.

Me too.... never seen a wheelchair, walker, scooter, etc... in the hallways ever that would have been in the way in the event of an evacuation.......now trays of food from service scattered everywhere...thats a different story ! :)

Please, no flames. I have a legitimate question and am looking for a legitimate answer from someone with knowledge regarding marine safety regulations, specifically those which address fire safety.

Is there a fire safety regulation for cruise ships that requires emergency exit corridors and paths of exit travel to be kept clear - such as land-based fire safety codes do?

My issue is cruise lines that allow passengers to store wheel chairs and scooters in the corridor instead of inside their stateroom. They pose a tripping hazard at any time, and could impede a safe evacuation in the event of an emergency.

This is not meant to be insensitive to those with mobility issues, but is a request for real information about real regulations.

As one who travels with a power wheelchair, I can tell that it is NOT permitted to leave them (or mobility scooters) anywhere but INSIDE of the stateroom. The practice of allowing them to remain in the halls overnight was discontinued a number of years ago. Some passengers who use them don't seem to be aware that they need to have an accessible stateroom to be able to have room to store and maneuver the chair/scooter inside, but most accesibility departments are very good about letting them know.

Leaving any obstruction UNATTENDED in an exit corridor is forbidden by International Law, most Flag State regulations, most marine insurance companies, and all the major cruise lines.

Every evening the security staff on my ship go around and remove a dozen or so scooters and wheelchairs that were left in the corridors by careless or unthinking passengers.

Posted by BruceMuzz "Leaving any obstruction UNATTENDED in an exit corridor is forbidden by International Law, most Flag State regulations, most marine insurance companies, and all the major cruise lines.

Every evening the security staff on my ship go around and remove a dozen or so scooters and wheelchairs that were left in the corridors by careless or unthinking passengers. "

Maybe it's endemic on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, but I see unattended wheel chairs and scooters left in the hallways overnight on every cruise. I'm up early to walk the inside corridors every morning before heading out to the jogging track and see wheel chairs and scooters that appear to have been there overnight

Is there a specific regulation that one can print out and then hand to the ship's officers?

Leaving any obstruction UNATTENDED in an exit corridor is forbidden by International Law, most Flag State regulations, most marine insurance companies, and all the major cruise lines.

Every evening the security staff on my ship go around and remove a dozen or so scooters and wheelchairs that were left in the corridors by careless or unthinking passengers.

Yep .... you don't want to be pulled over by one of those International Law cops at sea . . . . :rolleyes:

You can be sure that when the inspectors are on board these trangressions never occur but what happens once at sea is a different thing all together. Having some basic knowledge of how this all works is why I've returned to some lines many times, been on some only once and would not set foot on others if someone gave me a free passage.

I was not a Marine Inspector ... I was a marauding sea cop :p

"International Law" is a concept ...

I express no doubts in your statement. I fine it hard to believe that some people would leave a very expensive wheelchair or mobility scooter in the hallway.

They leave them in the hallway because they did not book a handicap-accessible cabin, and the regular cabins are much too small for them to even be able to pass through the doorway into the cabin. Should they somehow manage to do that, then there is NO space to get off and move about the cabin.

People don't realize just how few handicap accessible cabins there are on any ship (anywhere from 3-25, maxiumum), so when they're booked, they're gone. Then a lot of people with mobility issues that might just use a cane or walker on land, find the long hallways of the cruise ship difficult, so rent a mobility scooter or chair..then find they can't get it into the cabin.

As has already been said on this thread, it's been several years since the cruise lines have not allowed people to park in the hallway...but then, there are regulations against parking in handicap spots on land that are frequently violated....so sometimes it's not the cruise lines "fault" but the unthinking passenger.

While on the Explorer of the Seas out of NJ this spring there were MANY scooters and wheelchairs outside of rooms. Some were plugged into the rooms and the doors were left cracked. I questioned the safety as well and the room stewards had no answers for me.

"International Law" is a concept ...

Ain't that the truth. I wish someone who quotes "International Law" would provide a statute number, because I am not aware of it. Besides, if it was unlawful to partially block the hallways, all the major cruise lines would not make you put all your luggage out there on the final night.

It's a ship and the hallways are narrow. That's just the nature of the beast and part of the idiosyncrasy of cruising.

Posted by BruceMuzz "Leaving any obstruction UNATTENDED in an exit corridor is forbidden by International Law, most Flag State regulations, most marine insurance companies, and all the major cruise lines.

Every evening the security staff on my ship go around and remove a dozen or so scooters and wheelchairs that were left in the corridors by careless or unthinking passengers. "

Maybe it's endemic on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, but I see unattended wheel chairs and scooters left in the hallways overnight on every cruise. I'm up early to walk the inside corridors every morning before heading out to the jogging track and see wheel chairs and scooters that appear to have been there overnight

Is there a specific regulation that one can print out and then hand to the ship's officers?

I'm sure a ship's officer would love to be handed a print-out of a regulation - whaic would probably on his own line's letterhead. Check all the material the line furnishes -- it most probably will discuss things like use/parking of wheel chairs and scooters.

Archived