WHY Indian Food ?

block

I mentioned this on another thread, but there is a tendency for people to not like anything that's even remotely "foreign"- Ugly American syndrome.It's not xenophobia-it's just years and years of eating crappy food like hot dogs and hamburgers whilst cruising has conditioned people like that to not try anything new.

I give you credit for saying this because it does apply to so many people. When I was working at Disney's EPCOT, the least popular restaurant at the World Showcase was the one from Morocco. So many guests just didn't want to try something that was way outside their comfort zone. I can tell you that in that restaurant, the lamb dish I had was awesome and the lentil and saffron dishes were just as delicious. They were full of flavor and not spicy at all! So what was the most popular restaurant at EPCOT....the Italian! Go figure....

By the way, I love Indian cuisine! Give me some tandoori chicken and a glass of mango lassi any day! :D

I really like Indian food and am glad that many cruise lines serve it. I'd never had it until moving to FL 10 years ago, but it's one of my favorites. We have a wonderful Indian restaurant (not a fast food place--full service, table cloths, the works) just a couple miles from where we live and let me tell you, the place is always packed. They have the most wonderful Palak (Saag) Paneer and Chicken Tikka Masala!

That's judgmental and unkind, and in return, I'm disgusted.

There are a number of reasons that one could not like Indian food that has nothing to do with bigotry.

Yes, but these are not reasons that usually come from non-bigoted people:

Sorry It's nasty ! We were on Carnival for 5 days. I can understand one day. But 4 out of 5 Come on! And it looks like NCL also has it on there buffet. I just can't take another cruise filled with Curry

Nasty stuff!! And why so often? Yuck:confused::mad:

It just looks sloppy....

Indian food is like diarrhea on a plate.:eek: Disgusting stuff.
Edited by tonyrocks922

We ate at the Pinnacle Grill on the Statendam a few years ago for their "Indian Night". (Had to beg my DH to go...I like Indian food, him not so much) The dinner was wonderful, but the desserts....ick, yuck, gross, blah! Even the head waiter agreed they're not his favorite. :rolleyes:

I really like Indian food and am glad that many cruise lines serve it. I'd never had it until moving to FL 10 years ago, but it's one of my favorites.

Funny you say that since one of the downsides to where we are in New Smyrna Beach, FL, not only are there no Indian restaurants, the stores don't sell the ingredients to make it yourself.

But more on topic, for the reason above, I was glad to see it on our cruise.

I give you credit for saying this because it does apply to so many people. When I was working at Disney's EPCOT, the least popular restaurant at the World Showcase was the one from Morocco. So many guests just didn't want to try something that was way outside their comfort zone. I can tell you that in that restaurant, the lamb dish I had was awesome and the lentil and saffron dishes were just as delicious. They were full of flavor and not spicy at all! So what was the most popular restaurant at EPCOT....the Italian! Go figure....

By the way, I love Indian cuisine! Give me some tandoori chicken and a glass of mango lassi any day! :D

Erik, you lucky dog! Having experienced good Middle Eastern food, I can feel my mouth water at the prospect of the possibilities of that Epcot restaurant! :D

BTW, I am partial to salt lassi's with a bit of cumin and hot pepper in them--refreshing and _filling_. DW cooks Indian/Punjabi (northern India) a little Southern Indian, a broad spectrum of Middle Eastern (from the Holy Land to North Africa), some basic Chinese, a little Thai, and Italian. Saag paneer and dal are no strangers to our dinner table. Neither were lamb or chicken kebabs marinated for 3 days in wine/garlic/pepper/mint and grilled over charcoal. Sadly (for me, at least), DW is now lacto/ovo vegetarian and neither her incredible lamb nor delicious chicken come to dinner any more. Fuul mudammas, tabouli, Syrian potato salad (olive oil and cumin) and home-made hummus are still welcome guests.

Back to Indian food, I once cooked a big slow-cooker full of dal served with rice for a company celebration--the contractor software engineers, most of whom were from India, were astonished at having some "home cooking" at a covered dish party, especially when they found out it was made by a caucasian _man_. I have also turned 4 of my co-workers onto Indian pickle (achar): some prefer mixed vegetable, one loves garlic, I love onion, and I've recently introduced them to mango pickle and coriander chutney. I keep these at work in our refrigerator. Oddly enough, we've been eating the pickles on unsalted Passover matzohs:eek:, which I got post-Passover at a really good price. The matzohs make a good platform, having little flavor themselves. And yes, my coworkers have learned that a little pickle goes a long way! Several of them have gone on cruises, some are planning on it, and I'm sure they will be open to trying some of the more exotic offerings from the ship's galley.

It's all about trying new things and taking a little risk--cruising should be an adventure, no?:cool:

Erik, you lucky dog! Having experienced good Middle Eastern food, I can feel my mouth water at the prospect of the possibilities of that Epcot restaurant! :D

BTW, I am partial to salt lassi's with a bit of cumin and hot pepper in them--refreshing and _filling_. DW cooks Indian/Punjabi (northern India) a little Southern Indian, a broad spectrum of Middle Eastern (from the Holy Land to North Africa), some basic Chinese, a little Thai, and Italian. Saag paneer and dal are no strangers to our dinner table. Neither were lamb or chicken kebabs marinated for 3 days in wine/garlic/pepper/mint and grilled over charcoal. Sadly (for me, at least), DW is now lacto/ovo vegetarian and neither her incredible lamb nor delicious chicken come to dinner any more. Fuul mudammas, tabouli, Syrian potato salad (olive oil and cumin) and home-made hummus are still welcome guests.

Back to Indian food, I once cooked a big slow-cooker full of dal served with rice for a company celebration--the contractor software engineers, most of whom were from India, were astonished at having some "home cooking" at a covered dish party, especially when they found out it was made by a caucasian _man_. I have also turned 4 of my co-workers onto Indian pickle (achar): some prefer mixed vegetable, one loves garlic, I love onion, and I've recently introduced them to mango pickle and coriander chutney. I keep these at work in our refrigerator. Oddly enough, we've been eating the pickles on unsalted Passover matzohs:eek:, which I got post-Passover at a really good price. The matzohs make a good platform, having little flavor themselves. And yes, my coworkers have learned that a little pickle goes a long way! Several of them have gone on cruises, some are planning on it, and I'm sure they will be open to trying some of the more exotic offerings from the ship's galley.

It's all about trying new things and taking a little risk--cruising should be an adventure, no?:cool:

OK, OK, when can I come for lunch?;)

OK, OK, when can I come for lunch?;)

ASAP, If you don't mind leftovers--Saag paneer and naan for dinner tonight! (I got a great deal on fresh spinach!);)

It's always better the second or third day anyway!

Edited by capncarp

We really liked the tandoori bar on the Carnival Dream and look forward to then one on the new carnival Breeze.' People should at least try the tandoori chicken and the hot breads.

By the way, Tiger brand cooking sauces are great. I may have the butter chicken tomorrow!

We really liked the tandoori bar on the Carnival Dream and look forward to then one on the new carnival Breeze.' People should at least try the tandoori chicken and the hot breads.

By the way, Tiger brand cooking sauces are great. I may have the butter chicken tomorrow!

Tandoori chicken is a good starting point for those breaking into Indian Cuisine, especially kids. It's recognizable as chicken, at least. I guess the hardest part about the tandoori chicken is eating chicken that is pink--not undercooked, but bright magenta-highlighter PINK!:confused: (for the uninitiated, the pink is from the beets/beet juice in the marinade--believe me, the meat is well on its way to being "cured" by the time it hits the heat) DW often says she wishes she could get a tandoor oven to be able to make the naan properly.

This is such an entertaining read... I have colleagues that refused to try Indian food (that was 10 years ago), and then they did... Now, they call me and ask when I am going to cook next for them! My Irish American in laws tasted Tandoori Chicken, Chole and chicken 65, and they are just addicted....

I look forward to trying all kinds of food on the Liberty...

It also makes business sense... Those that are critical.... Have they not seen many cruisers of Indian origin on their ships?

Why homust they have hot dogs everywhere I turn? Buffets, dining rooms, pool side bars.... Thank goodness nobody forces me to eat them. Sorry someone forced you to look at Indian food every day. Can't say I allow looking at pig intestines with color dyed, minced mystery meat stuffed inside upset me, but to each their own.

Why homust they have hot dogs everywhere I turn? Buffets, dining rooms, pool side bars.... Thank goodness nobody forces me to eat them. Sorry someone forced you to look at Indian food every day. Can't say I allow looking at pig intestines with color dyed, minced mystery meat stuffed inside upset me, but to each their own.

This!

I guess most U.S. folk (and a god number of Canadians away from the urban centres) are still very unadventurous about food.

For other nations, they seem to have adopted ethnic cuisines. Britain has more curry houses than fish 'n chips outlets. The British curry has even made its way back to India as it is quite different from Indian curry. The French have adopted north Africa cuisine, tagines in particular, as their favorite non-indigenous cuisine. The favorite ethnic cuisine of India is... Chinese food! Different from Chinese food in that it uses basmati rice, is spicier (chili hot), and may contain no beef, no pork (very unusual for Chinese food), or no meat, depending on where the owners are from.

Indian food stinks, the smell makes me nauseous. Hot dogs are gross as well, but at least their smell doesn't linger on every shred of fabric and other porous surface for the rest of eternity.

If the smell of food makes you nauseous maybe you should just stay home where you won't smell anything but jello and wonder bread.

I didn't say the smell of food in general, I said the smell of Indian food. Anyone who claims Indian food doesn't have a pungent aroma that clings to everything around it either grew up in an Indian household and is immune to it or has no sense of smell.

And I don't eat Wonder bread, it's not good for you. Neither is Jello particularly.

We like Indian food. On our last cruise our MDR waiter brought us a supplemental Indian entree each evening in addition to our main course. He was east Indian and chose what he thought was the best Indian dish of the evening. It was fun to try what he thought was the best and then to hear his comments about how it would have been differently spiced had it been prepared in his home city. Just another dining adventure!

Anyone who claims Indian food doesn't have a pungent aroma that clings to everything around it either grew up in an Indian household and is immune to it or has no sense of smell.

The same could be said of any culture other than ours. For example, ever been to someone's house whose Italian grandma insists on doing all the cooking?

Come to think of it, I always thought my grandma's house smelled like roast beef because that what we always had when we went to her house for dinner.

Just remember everyone has different tolerance based oin their environment. You should hear what some Indian people (particularly the vegertarians) think our houses smell like :rolleyes:

I live in a community with many Indian people who rent the clubhouse once a month or so for lovely cultural events and meals. The curry smell lingers a bit but not forever. While I don't like Indian (and other Asian foods I have tried), I realize that for some people, the curry smell is delicious! Those same people might hate the smell of cilantro, jalapeno and clove - spices I love and eat very often.

I do understand about certain smells being nausea-producing. Curry is strong-smelling to me but does not make me feel ill. However, the smell of seafood, chocolate and wine are gag-producing for me and I do not ever consume those foods because I do not like the smell OR the taste. My dear Korean husband sometimes eats a packaged noodle fish soup that I can smell at an alarming distance!! Conversely, he HATES oatmeal which I consume daily but we have made our peace with each others choices!

To each his or her own and I am thankful that their is great variety in the world through food, music, art, etc.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I don't prepare foods with a pungent aroma or lingering smell in the house. That's what summer kitchens are for.

How quaint! To live in a house where "home" smells like air freshener, disinfectant, and chlorine bleach, instead of baking bread, coffee, bacon, or, God forbid, a little _garlic_ in the air.:eek::p:rolleyes:

I will try Indian food before settling for hamburgers or pizza on a cruise any day. I can make good Italian and Asian at home with my eyes closed. I hope to try new things, not settle for mass market all the time.

My roots are German and Welsh. I love German food, and that DOESN'T mean sausages and beer. Try rouladen , spaetzle, and red cabbage, mmmmm.

Like already said, there are 7 continents, many ethnicities to be represented. Indian is only one of them.

Read here too much and you might be discouraged from cruising!!

I hit this board several times a day, totally addicted.