Who Makes The Vacation Decision In Your Family?

euro cruiser

Who Makes The Vacation Decision In Your Family?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who Makes The Vacation Decision In Your Family?

• Husband
    • Wife
    • Neither - it's a 50/50 decision for us

Women drive the purchase decision for many categories of consumer goods in most American families.

I'm curious about vacations and cruises. Recognizing that all couples discuss their options before making a choice (unless one partner is being either kidnapped or surprised), I'd like to know who is the primary decision maker in your marriage.

I do the research, present some options, get some feedback; do more research, give more options, the process continues... Usally it's DW signing off with a "book it".

Sometimes I'll push back on a sailing that at first didn't make DW's list... this has led to two cruises: one good, one great.

DW will sometimes express strong interest in a general region or ship, and despite some initial hesitation I'll go through the process... this has led to two great cruises. :)

I wonder if there is a lifestage impact ... as in, one partner tended to make the decisions earlier in a marriage, but in retirement that dynamic changed.

Part of what led me to thinking about this was the number of women I met on a recent cruise who talked about their research and decision making, and implied that their husbands more or less happily went along with what they decided.

I think it is more a personality issue than an "early marriage vs. later in marriage" issue.

My DH has certain things he'll do and won't do. I am, in general, more adventurous in my travels.

I research the cruise lines and possibilities and present ideas. He picks dates/itineraries/cabins etc.

We cruise together BUT I go off on other land trips without him.

I make all the decisions in our family. I just ask my wife what she thinks. Then I choose whatever she says. It is like I will ask her where she thinks our next cruise will be. She says Panama. So then I say I decided we are going to Panama even though I really want to go to Alaska!

I'll tell my wife where I'm thinking we should be going...she packs her bags based on my decision...she has never complained once where I've chosen....she loved Australia, she loved France and Monaco, she loves the Caribbean, she loves it all for this reason...she doesn't want to do the planning

Sometimes I'll push back on a sailing that at first didn't make DW's list... this has led to two cruises: one good, one great.

DW will sometimes express strong interest in a general region or ship, and despite some initial hesitation I'll go through the process... this has led to two great cruises. :)

Your DW & I have that in common! My DH first suggested our upcoming 14d hawaii on the golden princess last summer... I was blase about it, thought we should find something else to do. He brought it up again after Christmas, we booked a month ago & now I am really excited about a great cruise with him for our 25th anniv! He is a smart guy, you must be too! :D

We typically travel with a group of friends. All of us ladies get the idea on where we want to go and then we discuss it as a group with the guys.

I love the planning and research part of preparing for the trip; DH doesn't really get involved much. I show him important information that I discover. Like today he looked at some of the "Driving in Italy" information that he will need to know.

I make all the reservations for air travel, pre/post cruise lodging, excursions, stateroom selection, etc. So far he has been happy with all of my efforts. He likes it because he doesn't have to worry about the details, he just gets to enjoy the vacation.

I do the research, then present it to my husband and we talk about it. .............

We make our vacation decisions together...but I do all the actual "planning/reservations/bookings, etc.... WE decide, then I do all the work! (Including, packing!!!!) Hubby does lug the suitcases, tho!

This is similar to how we do things. Even down to the packing & lugging of suitcases! LOL:).........Or as one poster on the boards states: I Book He Pays.....that pretty much sums it up for us...

I make all the decisions in our family. I just ask my wife what she thinks. Then I choose whatever she says. It is like I will ask her where she thinks our next cruise will be. She says Panama. So then I say I decided we are going to Panama even though I really want to go to Alaska!

Smart guy!

Archived