sharing tables at windjammer buffet

icyfrost

A few weeks ago we returned from a freedom cruise. At the buffet we heard someone asking to share their table, the couple huffed and puffed b/4 saying yes and they sat there eating breakfast w/o speaking a word to one another. very strange! What would u do in this situation? is there a polite way to say no

Is ther a polite way to say no? Sure there is! Maybe tell the people asking that you're waiting for friends to join you?

What would I do? Probably welcome the people asking if I wasn't truly going to be using the chairs. Lots of people aren't comfortable having strangers join them, and that's fine, but I look at it as a chance to meet new and interesting people. What's the worst that can happen? :)

Sometimes there just isn't anywhere to sit! We have seen many singles sitting at a large table all alone. We have sat at tables with others, but usually they give off a definite "vibe" of being approachable while others definitely do not. We have had people invite us to sit with them when they see us standing with our plates looking for a spot. They are usually almost finished, make brief friendly conversations and then leave.

We have never turned anyone away when they ask if they can sit with us, and never would. If someone huffed and puffed when we asked to sit at their table, we would just say "that's ok, never mind', and move on. Like many people, we like to get there early to get a table by the windows. Those usually are filled early.:) Now I'm hungry for the honey stung chicken!:D

Hmmm...we've never had a problem sharing a table with others. In fact, we've invited people who were walking around looking for tables to use the empty places at our table, and others have done the same for us.

People who don't want to share should either choose a table size that just fits their party, or spread out and take up all the space so it doesn't appear to be room for others.

Most of the tables are quite large...and as a couple, have asked folks looking for a seat to please join us. You don't have to have major conversations with them, if either you or they don't want to....but to have 2 people sitting at a table for 8 is just silly.

On one cruise, there were 2 folks at a huge table and they had clearly finished eating...and there was NOTHING else open...so I said, "Do you mind if I sit here?"....well, you would have thought I'd attempted to toss one of them overboard....what faces they pulled...but I sat anyway...(remember, there was NO PLACE else open...perhaps bad timing on my part!) and they, too, huffed and puffed...and then, left. Oh, well!

Sorry to others that this doesn't bother, but it does me!!!....We have sailed many times with RCI and always look for a table for 2 in the WJ or even the counter space so as not to take up a large table..However on our last 12 night Baltic sail on Jewel at times we had no other choice than to sit at a larger table...some would just sit without even asking..We came back to our table on more than one occasion at lunch after having put down our drinks and silverware to find that it had been taken over (even when there were other tables empty..I guess we shouldn't have chosen a window table) and we would not have even been sitting next to each other...RUDE !!!! I learned very quickly to say we were waiting for others to join us but sometimes that didn't even work..they would sit down anyway and say "We'll move when they come"..We keep our eye out for the two top and will quickly move when one becomes available...Sorry but we prefer to eat alone JOHO and I would never do this to anyone else...we'll just wait patiently until some have finished eating and even talking after finishing when they see others waiting or just sitting there reading their book !!!! EAT and move ON !!!!

Generally the only time I have ever had to ask someone if I could join them or have others ask if they could join me is lunchtime on embarkation day. There are just too many coming aboard at the same time and heading to WJ and tables are larger than 2 tops in some WJ's. On Explorer, Voyager, Liberty and Indi I had no problems finding 2 tops but on Radiance class to me it seemed there were many more tables for 4 and 8.

Most of the tables are quite large...and as a couple, have asked folks looking for a seat to please join us. You don't have to have major conversations with them, if either you or they don't want to....but to have 2 people sitting at a table for 8 is just silly.

On one cruise, there were 2 folks at a huge table and they had clearly finished eating...and there was NOTHING else open...so I said, "Do you mind if I sit here?"....well, you would have thought I'd attempted to toss one of them overboard....what faces they pulled...but I sat anyway...(remember, there was NO PLACE else open...perhaps bad timing on my part!) and they, too, huffed and uffed...and then, left. Oh, well!

it was a 4 top table w/2 empty seats. this couple did just that, sat there anyway knowing that the sitting couple were not happy.

We usually travel as a large family. However, we don't usually all go to breakfast at the same time. When we go to the Windjammer, on a day and time when everyone is trying to get in, eat and get to a port, it can get difficult to find a table. I've had people graciously ask if I would like to join them, which I've done, and I've seen people scanning the room for a place to sit and ask if they would like to join us. If I'm not at a table that accomodates our size party, and it's crowded, I don't have a problem with a couple joining us. No biggie.

It wouldn't bother me to have someone join us. I can understand if it would bother someone. Shame we can't just say no without someone thinking you are rude. However, during the busier times I would hope other passengers would realize that an 8 top can sit at least two other couples without intruding on personal space. Personally, I would look for the smaller tables but I would try to make it obvious that someone could join us if we were at a HUGE table.

Sorry to others that this doesn't bother, but it does me!!!....We have sailed many times with RCI and always look for a table for 2 in the WJ or even the counter space so as not to take up a large table..However on our last 12 night Baltic sail on Jewel at times we had no other choice than to sit at a larger table...some would just sit without even asking..We came back to our table on more than one occasion at lunch after having put down our drinks and silverware to find that it had been taken over (even when there were other tables empty..I guess we shouldn't have chosen a window table) and we would not have even been sitting next to each other...RUDE !!!! I learned very quickly to say we were waiting for others to join us but sometimes that didn't even work..they would sit down anyway and say "We'll move when they come"..We keep our eye out for the two top and will quickly move when one becomes available...Sorry but we prefer to eat alone JOHO and I would never do this to anyone else...we'll just wait patiently until some have finished eating and even talking after finishing when they see others waiting or just sitting there reading their book !!!! EAT and move ON !!!!
without asking is just plain rude! i agree i don't think we will ever ask either if we can't find seats. my 02 cents

My DD and I had the same thing happen to us in August on FOS. We were sitting having lunch and a couple asked to sit at our table. The table was large enough as there were no 2 seaters left and I do not like sitting at the counter style tables (I am way to short and have to jump down lol ). We just smiled and said yes ,then went about our business. We said hello when they sat down and when we were getting up to leave said good bye enjoy the rest of your day. Didn't seem like a big deal to me .

I have read this whole thread and there are too many quotes to quote ;) so I will just make a comment:

A lot of you may not know this, but table sharing is actually the custom in many parts of Europe and Asia. For those of you who have just had someone sit down with out asking - they may not have realized they were supposed to ask. In my personal experiences - even while abroad - I have been "asked" but it was more of a generalized greeting more than anything (Like when you see someone and ask "how's it going?" and the other person is supposed to say "fine" and keep on walking ;) ) I have talked about this with friends who joked about the first time it happened to them in Europe and the old lady never asked. She just sat down.

It is just a cultural thing, so don't get so excited. I am glad to see many who just go with the flow ... I don't look down on those who can't though. In college I went out for lunch with a girl in my class I became friendly with and she told me how upset she was the last time she went to lunch with an Asian exchange student because that girl started eating off her plate (at least your table mates don't do that! LOL) Different things matter to different people.

I just wanted you guys to be aware what might be going on ...

Also, it is OK to say "excuse me, but we really need to be alone right now." - They can interpret that many ways, but that simple comment makes it seem like you really need your privacy and may soften the blow if they feel you are being rude. ;)

My husband and I sit at small tables because we prefer to eat by ourselves, everywhere. If we have to sit at a table for four, I put jackets, bags, and hats at those places to discourage people from asking to sit with us. If it's REALLY crowded, then I don't do it.

We don't cruise to meet people, but to travel and relax with each other. So, it is an imposition to be asked by strangers if they can sit with us.

at my favorite restaurant in Chicago in Hyde Park, it is an unstated policy that you just sit wherever there is a seat. No asking, just a polite "hello" and sit down.

There are usually five of us cruising, so we've never had anyone join our table, but I think as long as the other people didn't "expect" me to converse with them it's fine. Sometimes I feel chatty, and sometimes (like early in the morning before my coffee) I am just not interested in chit chat :rolleyes:

We don't mind sharing a table in the WJ at all but how people approach us does make a difference.

On the Mariner, there was usually someone who would help you find a table and offer to carry your plate for you. They would ask if there was space available at a table for you, it worked quite well.

On the Jewel, we never saw anyone helping people find seats. We usually had one of us get drinks, silverware/napkins, etc and go get a table while the other was getting their meal. Then the person who got the table would go get their meal once the other joined them. We had one weird encounter where I was sitting at a table for 4 waiting for my DH to get back with his lunch, I had my lunch and his drinks and silverware were opposite me. A couple walked up and told me they were going to join me and started to move my DH's stuff. I said let me move his stuff beside me since I didn't want to sit on the overstuffed sofa with this guy. The woman picked up my DH's water by the top edge:eek:. I moved the rest of the stuff and they sat down opposite me. The guy then needed a napkin so he took my DH's napkin and silverware:cool:. Dh then shows up and sits down but has no utensils, since they were taken, and no water since I have moved his water away from him since I wasn't going to let him drink it from where she had grabbed it. These two then proceeded to analyze everything we were eating while they were shoving hot dogs down their throats. Made for a fairly gross lunch. :mad:

Is ther a polite way to say no? Sure there is! Maybe tell the people asking that you're waiting for friends to join you?

What would I do? Probably welcome the people asking if I wasn't truly going to be using the chairs. Lots of people aren't comfortable having strangers join them, and that's fine, but I look at it as a chance to meet new and interesting people. What's the worst that can happen? :)

I'm not sure I would consider lying to them to be the polite way.

We don't mind sharing a table in the WJ at all but how people approach us does make a difference.

On the Mariner, there was usually someone who would help you find a table and offer to carry your plate for you. They would ask if there was space available at a table for you, it worked quite well.

On the Jewel, we never saw anyone helping people find seats. We usually had one of us get drinks, silverware/napkins, etc and go get a table while the other was getting their meal. Then the person who got the table would go get their meal once the other joined them. We had one weird encounter where I was sitting at a table for 4 waiting for my DH to get back with his lunch, I had my lunch and his drinks and silverware were opposite me. A couple walked up and told me they were going to join me and started to move my DH's stuff. I said let me move his stuff beside me since I didn't want to sit on the overstuffed sofa with this guy. The woman picked up my DH's water by the top edge:eek:. I moved the rest of the stuff and they sat down opposite me. The guy then needed a napkin so he took my DH's napkin and silverware:cool:. Dh then shows up and sits down but has no utensils, since they were taken, and no water since I have moved his water away from him since I wasn't going to let him drink it from where she had grabbed it. These two then proceeded to analyze everything we were eating while they were shoving hot dogs down their throats. Made for a fairly gross lunch. :mad:

That is over the top bad.......OK, at the point they "told" me they were joining me, I would politely "tell" them all the seats were taken and I was just holding the table. However, they sound rude enough to just plop themselves down, anyway, right?

Once they started moving our stuff around, that's when I get up and leave. I would just pick up my bag and walk away without a word. I do not tolerate rudeness, and there is no way I would stay at a table with overbearing people like that.

I did return once to a table once in WJ where someone had occupied the other two seats. I just picked up my bag without saying a word and went to another table.

My husband and I sit at small tables because we prefer to eat by ourselves, everywhere. If we have to sit at a table for four, I put jackets, bags, and hats at those places to discourage people from asking to sit with us. If it's REALLY crowded, then I don't do it.

We don't cruise to meet people, but to travel and relax with each other. So, it is an imposition to be asked by strangers if they can sit with us.

I'm so glad that you posted this because I feel the same way! Sometimes I feel like I'm the odd one out when reading these boards because so many people either cruise to make friends or try to make friends with everybody they meet. The hubby and I choose to dine alone and converse with each other in bars and whatnot. We're certainly not mean people or rude... it's just what when we vacation, we like to be "by ourselves" (or as much as one can be on a ship with 8000+ people!).

I also do the thing where we put things on the other chairs if we're at a 4 top and I would never dream of denying somebody the right to sit there if the other tables are full... just as long as they keep with just brief pleasantries at first and then ignore us for the rest of the meal.

We always invite people to join us, especially if the WJ is crowded. I find it amusing that the folks who feel entitled to a private table for breakfast and lunch, are the same folks that will be eating in the MDR in the evening and will probably be sharing a table at that time.

We always ask, very politely, if anyone is going to sit at empty seats at the table. Sometimes they say they are waiting on others to join them, and we move on, no problem. Almost everyone invites us to join them and we have make some small talk and thank them. We always invite others to join us if we see people looking for seats.

What I have a problem with is the people who have finished eating and are now playing cards, reading books, etc. when it is obviously busy in the Windjammer and people are looking for seats.

I'm personally not a fan of sitting with complete strangers or having them sit with me- I'm not outgoing with people I'm not comfortable with already. However, when it's crowded I have offered empty chairs to people looking for seats.

I know how it feels to be standing there holding a plate and feel kind of lost :confused:, and I don't like to let people stand there when I know they can fit at the table I'm at. They're always grateful for the offer, and have always been polite and pleasant. In my experience, peoples' actions/reactions are often governed by how they're treated. :D

What I have a problem with is the people who have finished eating and are now playing cards, reading books, etc. when it is obviously busy in the Windjammer and people are looking for seats.

Here in lies the problem, imho. Many people come to the WJ to eat and then proceed to 'camp out'! This takes many tables out of service and just is not right. Eat and move on, let the ones waiting have your seats. Come back later when it has cleared out to set up camp - TA's are the worst for this type of behavior, imo. Everyone is welcome at our table anytime.

On one cruise, there were 2 folks at a huge table and they had clearly finished eating...and there was NOTHING else open...so I said, "Do you mind if I sit here?"....

Gosh, you have left me quite confused. You have made it clear on these boards, for years, actually, that you DO NOT eat in the buffet. You hate the buffet and you are constantly extolling the virtues of the MDR for all meals. Obviously, your comments strike me as "interesting". Whatever - I don't care - it's just contradictory to what you are always saying and I'm sure others who read you would say the same. :rolleyes:

Archived