Should sick passengers be confined to quarters?

Mr. Luckytoo

Should passengers who display noro symptoms be confined to their cabins?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Should passengers who display noro symptoms be confined to their cabins?

• Absolutely otherwise they endanger the rest of us
    • No it's their cruise besides they could have gotten it onboard
    • It all depends on....(please indicate your position)

Seriously, and never the crew, in particular the galley crew? If the crew doesn't wash hands and practice safe hygiene, there you go...Noro. :confused:

I would hope they would wash their hands:eek:....just as I would hope

ALL OF US would wash them after using the restroom/washroom/loo/

whatever it is called in whatever country you happen to live in;)

I would hope they would wash their hands:eek:....just as I would hope

ALL OF US would wash them after using the restroom/washroom/loo/

whatever it is called in whatever country you happen to live in;)

Lois, I've lost track of the number of times I've seen the door to trap one open whilst I'm washing my hands and the occupant just walks straight out. Yuck!

Phil

Whoever voted that its their cruise and they may have got it on board, be glad the poll doesn't list your 'name'...please explain what rationale there is in that position. I've read a lot of posts on dress code, chair hogging, smoking, etc that someone espouses the 'my cruise, my rules', but this one takes the cake.

Our son-in-law was confined on their honeymoon so this isn't the follow the rules that I haven't been impacted by. And ships aren't sick, people are. Thoretically, the crew should come down with much higher rates then passengers because they are exposed to more people than passengers, and if the ship is 'sick' and they are on board for extended times and therefore exposed much more, than again, they'd have higher incidents. Not to confuse the discussion with 'facts', but the CDC data shows the crew rate is much lower than passengers. Mainly because they are younger, healthier and are trained on how to minimize exposure.

By the way, the best way is to reduce touching you mouth, eyes and nose with the your hands. Keep washing and so on, but try to keep those guys outside, not inside you. We are all exposed to pathogerms and they lurk in the environment all around us and are 'on' us. The idea is to reduce the chance of getting inside us, keeping the 'dose' low and keeping rested so you aren't susceptable. I know, I love to spend late nights dancing, and I just take the 'risk'.

I think I'm finished with my lecture.......is there anything else I want to 'spread' that wouldn't get you sick???

Enjoy, and hope the ship continues to confine those dumb enough to walk around exposing everyone when they are contageous. Stepping out of your SR the hr after you are not projectile vomiting is not needed, but done. Heck, there was one report passengers were removed from a cruise for not remaining confined...hope they keep it up.

Den

Lois, I've lost track of the number of times I've seen the door to trap one open whilst I'm washing my hands and the occupant just walks straight out. Yuck!

Phil

Phil, you know they say most people (operative word "most") do the

same things on vacation as they do at home...manners, etc.....so you

really have to wonder:eek: do those people really NOT wash their hands

at home as well? :rolleyes:.....that is more than YUCK....it is gross!

Oh those are the same things.....yukky and gross:eek:

Phil, you know they say most people (operative word "most") do the

same things on vacation as they do at home...manners, etc.....so you

really have to wonder:eek: do those people really NOT wash their hands

at home as well? :rolleyes:.....that is more than YUCK....it is gross!

Oh those are the same things.....yukky and gross:eek:

OK you two, I'm snacking while reading this thread...enough of the yukky/gross stuff.......oops, I'm the guy who typed the words 'projectile vomiting'. Think I'll go take a shower!

Den

OK you two, I'm snacking while reading this thread...enough of the yukky/gross stuff.......oops, I'm the guy who typed the words 'projectile vomiting'. Think I'll go take a shower!

Den

Hi Denny,:) I agree, enough:eek:.....I didn't even vote but yes, I agree

with staying in the cabin.

I bet, well I'd like to hope the crew are better trained at personal hygiene than some of the dirty guests who use the bathroom and don't wash their hands. Phil

Yes, Phil they are well trained as are most restaurant employees.

I would hope they would wash their hands:eek:....just as I would hope ALL OF US would wash them after using the restroom/washroom/loo/ whatever it is called in whatever country you happen to live in;)

I would hope so also, Lois. ;)

YES! Confinement is exactly what should be done.

And I was confined myself on a cruise last year after I came down with something that was either noro or food poisoning (either of which I am pretty sure I got before I got on the ship-- I got sick a few hours after we set sail....) And I was glad that the ship took this so seriously. No fun for me, but it was the responsible thing to do. And the ship reimbursed me for the days I was confined.

In Hindsight. No. We should not have reported it. Nothing good came about from reporting it. Also, we lost out on over $400 from an excursion we could not go on because of the quarentine. (even though we tried to cancel 36 hrs in advance) I know a lot of other passengers were very irrate because they were "feeling better" (but probably still contagious and security would not let them off the boat. They were about to miss out on paid excursions too.

So, until Celebrity changes cancellation policies, and some other things....NO I would probably NOT report in the furture. Unfortunately, after this last experience it'll take an act of God to convince my family to sail with Celebrity again so no one else needs to worry about my opinion anyway.

I would say YES to confinement IF the room stewards could adequately meet the needs of the ill passengers (bring them soda crackers or get sprite from their soda package). Get MDR food for the non-ill parents whom are also basically confined when taking care of ill children. Room service gets REALLY old after 4 days. Sounds like we just had very bad luck with getting ill, and a very suky steward! Also, if they could make exceptions to cancellation policies.

Passengers on a ship, either guest or crew, should have enough sense of responsibility to be self confined to their quarters, as needed.

Same is true of basic cleanliness/manners - I too have seen many men, young and aged, that use the facility and walk out w/o washing hands.

On a cruise I was on last month, a sick passenger felt their desire to watch the evening entertainment outweighed the true possibility of exposing others. The theater was packed and she chose to sit next to me, sneezing, sniffling and coughing for the one hour show. She only had a cold, but still I would have either stood in the back to at least try to avoid others or stayed in the room.

If I had a cold or something worse, without doubt I'd avoid others or even go to the onboard doc if something more severe. I realize though that others do not concur with my sensibility and not much can be done, unfortunately.

Another question

If you got sick would you report yourself so you can be confined?

I guess if I was sick I would be self confined, too sick to leave the cabin. But "turn myself in" unless I had to visit the doctor I would not feel the need to call the Pursers desk to alert them that I'd be skipping dinner. Besides, I would doubt that I could keep it secret from the stew..... they may not turn in selfish smokers, but a barfer.... :eek::p:D

Interesting posts - especially from Kitty who recently experienced this problem first hand.

Folks I hate to say it but passengers, for the most part, aren't going to confine themselves to their cabin unless they are deathly ill. On a ship in the winter (cold months) with the incidence of norovirus high I would prefer that the ships take a pro-active stance:

For example:

1. If you vomit in public or anywhere on the ship - confined to cabin for the following 72 hours irregardless; quarintine in effect. That goes for anyone in your cabin as well.

Does that suck? Absolutely but unless something is done that's how the disease continues to progress. In addition to those confined to quarters the cruiseline would full re-imburse their fares and any paid excursions.

Another question

If you got sick would you report yourself so you can be confined?

If I contracted the norovirus and was projectile vomitting absolutely! I'd rather stay in bed resting and sleeping then dragging myself around the ship. In fact I believe that on a cruiseship the on-board physician should make cabin calls to those confined as well.

In addition I believe the cruiseline should re-imburse those passengers who are confined to quarters for their fare. While it is not the cruise's fault this is a business decision - it's a lot less expensive the refund the sick people's fare then have them spread the disease around the ship and to clean public 'accidents'.

Archived