Hotels in London

Len3

We've been to London twice and both times stayed at the Park Plaza - great location for sightseeing, but hard to find restaurants within walking distance.

Any suggestions as to were to stay for a 2 night pre-cruise and 2 night post- cruise? We will to go from Victoria Station to Dover in both directions and fly into and out of Heathrow.

We've been to London twice and both times stayed at the Park Plaza - great location for sightseeing, but hard to find restaurants within walking distance.

Any suggestions as to were to stay for a 2 night pre-cruise and 2 night post- cruise? We will to go from Victoria Station to Dover in both directions and fly into and out of Heathrow.

We like staying at the Sheraton Park Tower - it's about a block from Harrods and walking distance to many restaurants, stores and museums. The room is relatively large for London and we liked the large marble walk in shower and separate bathtub. We would walk to a restaurant for a less expensive breakfast, eat lunch at Harrods and there is a Lebanese restaurant to the left of the hotel that is terrific and inexpensive. You can also walk to Hyde Park and Buckingham Palace (a bit longer walk, but still doable). We walked all the way to the Thames, along the waterfront and back one afternoon - no problem. There is also a tube station close by the hotel which makes getting around a cinch.

We are booked at the Sanctuary House Hotel, a 34 room historic hotel with a Pub that serves breakfast as well as other meals and refreshments. It is walking distance to Victoria Station and Trafalgar Square, the Westminster Abby, Big Ben and 2 major tube stations.

Why not try a hotel in the Victoria area? We stayed in the Rubens at the Palace (in 2009) and around the corner from that hotel the Thistle Westminster (in 2010). These hotels are across the street from Buckingham Palace,The Mews and the Mall. There are restaurants, pubs, the 2 HOHO companies have stops, London bus, grocery store, stores, all close by. We walked to the London Eye, Westminster, Big Ben from these hotels. The hotels are within walking distance or you can take a taxi to the National Express coach. We took the National Express coach to Dover in 2010. We took a car service http://www.justairports.com to and from Heathrow for about 30-34 GBP. To get a quote, use your hotel's 2 letters and number postal code (our hotels were SW1).

Some people here recommends a B&B - Luna & Simone in the Victoria area. They have no elevators.

The bus to Dover stops in Dover and the ferry terminal. The driver told us that he was off duty at the ferry terminal. He asked if any one wanted him to drive to the cruise terminal (of course, hinting for a tip). We told him, we were staying at a hotel, and he was nice to drive very close to it. Ask the driver, if he would drop you off at the cruise terminal. If you have time, check out the castle in Dover. It was interesting to see the war tunnels.

Here are some sites to check for hotels:

http://www.bhrc.co.uk

http://www.london-hotels.co.uk

Other sites

http://www.simplyairports.co.uk

http://www.theoriginaltour.com

http://www.bigbustours.com

http://www.royalcollectionorg.uk (if you are there when the Palace is open to the public

http://www.londoneye.com

Thanks to all replies, but these don't fit the pocket book. Any other ideas?

OK, I like staying out at Kings Cross. I fly into Gatwick and take the local train to St. Pancres and walk to Alhambra Guest house. Have stayed there several times. Then just take the bus to Victoria Station. A couple block walk to the bus station.

Kings Cross, is an excellent transportation connection area with some lower priced lodging.

OK, I like staying out at Kings Cross. I fly into Gatwick and take the local train to St. Pancres and walk to Alhambra Guest house. Have stayed there several times. Then just take the bus to Victoria Station. A couple block walk to the bus station.

Kings Cross, is an excellent transportation connection area with some lower priced lodging.

We meet again - Thanks to you and all have sent me in the right direction.

Be very wary about cheaper accomodation around Kings Cross. It's not a very salubrious area of London and there are some extremely dodgy "guest houses." It's not an area where you would necessarily want to walk around late at night.

Have you tried googling Dolphin House Hotel in Pimlico/Victoria ? It's a lovely hotel near Victoria rail station and when we stayed there, it wasn't too expensive. There's also Holiday Inn Express which is very near the station too.

I always stay now at Heathrow airport hotels, can get 4 stars on Priceline for about $50 plus tax. Have stayed in too many grotty places in London. Easy enough to get the tube in and out of London. Also near Windsor for a day out by local bus.

Be very wary about cheaper accomodation around Kings Cross. It's not a very salubrious area of London and there are some extremely dodgy "guest houses." It's not an area where you would necessarily want to walk around late at night.

I have stayed at the same hotel the last 3 years, and have had no problems. It was NOT a dicy area, nor was it unsafe. I've returned by myself from the theater via tube and bus at night. This area, has a bad past, but the present is definitely on the upswing.

Also referring to trip advisor may be a good idea as well.

I am very pleased that you have found a guest house in the Kings Cross area that you like. It's always a good feeling when we find something with which we are comfortable and happy. I still maintain that Kings Cross is one of the most iffy areas of London in which to stay (hence cheaper cost). It's a well known fact that parts of it (especially the north) are not advised for tourists. If you are happy then that's fine but just be aware that parts of the area have a VERY high crime rate. Also the OP's post did mention the Victora area so am not sure why you would recommend a guest house in King's Cross despite transport links.

Perhaps you can give me some advice. We are flying into Gatwick prior to our 5/22/11 Crown Princess cruise. We are planning on leaving Gatwick directly by First Capitol train which goes directly to St Pancras train station according to the London Tookit website.

We then want to take the Eurostar to Paris, stay in Paris overnight and take the Eurostar back to London the next day. We already have booked a hotel fro 3 nights in London.

My big unknown is where to stay in Paris that will be covenient for two seniors (one with a bad hip) carrying all our luggage. I read there is a left luggage area at Kings Cross, but I don't know how convenient that will be and would it be closed when we return late the next night.

If you have left Gatwick via First Capital was it as convenient as the web site sounds and how long should we allow before we book a specific time on the Eurostar?

I need a lot of advice.

Perhaps you can give me some advice. We are flying into Gatwick prior to our 5/22/11 Crown Princess cruise. We are planning on leaving Gatwick directly by First Capitol train which goes directly to St Pancras train station according to the London Tookit website.

We then want to take the Eurostar to Paris, stay in Paris overnight and take the Eurostar back to London the next day. We already have booked a hotel fro 3 nights in London.

My big unknown is where to stay in Paris that will be covenient for two seniors (one with a bad hip) carrying all our luggage. I read there is a left luggage area at Kings Cross, but I don't know how convenient that will be and would it be closed when we return late the next night.

If you have left Gatwick via First Capital was it as convenient as the web site sounds and how long should we allow before we book a specific time on the Eurostar?

I need a lot of advice.

I have not used any luggage storage, but information should be available online, via the station.

First Capital is excellent, I've use it every time.

Just buy a walk up ticket, no need for anything in advance.

You need to figure out what your Paris activities are going to be and stay near those. With such a short time, and only one night, I think this is very important to consider.

Doesn't specifying you'll want to do the transfer London Victoria-Dover seriously limit your hotel choice, given there are trains to Dover from Waterloo-East; Charing Cross; London Bridge & St Pancras as well?

You might try the Premier Inn Hotels. They are a UK budget hotel. When we where there in 09 the location at Victoria Station was under remodeling. The one at St. Pancres had good reviews on tripadvisor at that time. We where going to stay at the St. Pancres location but the airline changes our arrival from Gatwick to Heathrow. We got a package at Rubens and stayed their instead. http://premierinn.com

We, and a large number of our fellow passengers, will be staying at the Mint Hotel in Westminster prior to this September's Jewel westbound transatlantic. We stayed there two years ago when it was the City Inn Westminster. Prices were reasonable for London and restaurants and many tourist sites are reasonably close. Next door is the Tate Gallery (not Tate Modern) and a block away is the Thames River.:) IMACs in every room offer TV and free internet connections.

Len3

Have you considered Priceline? I bid the Westminster area for a two night stay and got the Crown Plaza St. James for $163 per night including all taxes/fees. Original bid was $136. Our stay is at the end of July.

Sheal

• 2 weeks later...
I always stay now at Heathrow airport hotels, can get 4 stars on Priceline for about $50 plus tax. Have stayed in too many grotty places in London. Easy enough to get the tube in and out of London. Also near Windsor for a day out by local bus.

After seeing the price of hotels, this might be a good option! How long did it take for the tube to get into London?

Here is my best tip for checking out hotels...You Tube.

Visit their website and type the name of the hotel you are considering in the search window. You will be able to view videos (many narrated) of the hotel , grounds and individual rooms. Some of the videos are put together by the hotel and some are filmed by prior guests.

I have found this an great way to determine if a hotel will be a good fit.

Two years ago, I stayed at Luna and Simone.

It is clean, has a nice breakfast (made to order) and is well managed by two brothers. The location is very handy to Victoria Station. The staff assisted us with our luggage as there are no elevators - you can also request a lower floor.

It is very basic (think college dorm) and if you will be staying during the summer months you should consider that there is no air conditioner (there are fans).

This year I am trying Base 2 Stay in Kensington. This is also very basic and although there is no breakfast provided, each room has a small kitchen if you wish to prepare your own breakfast or picnic lunch - great idea to save money. There are elevators and air conditioning.

The staff has been very helpful and there are great reviews on Trip Advisor.

Rick Steves also recommends several inexpensive hotels in the London area if you have access to one of his guide books.

Have a great time in London.

After seeing the price of hotels, this might be a good option! How long did it take for the tube to get into London?

45-60 minutes, depending on where you're going. I personally don't think the price savings is worth it for an extended stay, although if you get it at a good enough price the Jurys Inn at LHR would be one of your best options, as it is literally opposite an underground station.

It takes about 45 min on Piccadilly line. I have recently won the Hilton Heathrow for $50 on Priceline but all the 4 star hotels are good. you will need a good tube and bus map.

Cheap Hotels & Bed and Breakfast Central London

This site has lots of links for maps.

Of course it does depend on what your plans for London are but there are good bus connections from Central bus station to Bath etc. and Windsor is nearby.

Thanks to all replies, but these don't fit the pocket book. Any other ideas?

I am a budget traveller, and I second the suggestions for Priceline and Premier Inn. With a bit of research on betterbidding.com, you could get some good deals on Priceline. I got the Hilton Hyde Park for $85/night (using the name-your-own-price option) for my stay this April, which is a really good deal for London.

I used to go to the Premier Inn a lot, but it seems their prices have been skyrocketing in the last year, so I tried Priceline this time around. Sure, I could have gotten a cheaper hotel in Heathrow, but the hassle of getting into central London from the hotel is, IMHO, not worth the savings.

The only thing about Priceline is you really can not choose your hotel if you are doing the NYOP option, so trying to stay somewhere where there are easy transport connections, or booking a hotel close to many good restaurants is not guaranteed. (Just as an example, I used to stay at the Premier Inn in Kensington, because it was convenient - it only requires me to take one train from LHR to Earls Court on the Piccadilly line. But because PI wanted GBP129/night, I went with Priceline hoping to win a hotel in the Earls Court/Kensington area. However, I won the Hilton in the Bayswater area, which kinda sucks because for me to get there would require me to do 2 changes on the tube. But at $85/night, I am willing to make that sacrifice.)

Another option for you is Hotwire (again, do a bit of research on betterbidding.com to get the best deals) and maybe even the Travelodge or Easy Hotel if you really want to do budget.

• 5 months later...

We are planning to use a London vacation rental for a 4 night post cruise stay in May 2012.

My question is: is there a particular part of London that would be safe, allow us to walk to a lot of key tourist sites and also be convenient to groceries etc. and a train station( we dock at Tilbury ... where ever that is!)

There seem to be a lot of VRBO's and short stay rentals available but to navigate the various sites you have to select an area.

Our tourist plans are to see as many of the major London sites as possible and go on at least one day trip to Oxford or Cotswold, or Stonehenge etc.

Archived